At least we are not living through this Hell!

docdhc

21 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Cousins with Nelson blocking for him and remember we also keep three second round picks not a bad plan

Definitely better than Baker playing in front of our OL in New York that would have been a debacle

LOL - Baker with the NY media would have been a circus and for all the big splash Cleveland made in FA last year they did let Zeitler (G) leave

• Upvote 2

Don't think the Texans OL is much better, they got a boost with the Fins Fire sale but have the same FO mentality as Mac with regards to OL - terrible
Watson leads the league in sacks and has proved more durable than expected - he is playing like a big time franchise QB - not surprised after he beat Alabama in the National Championship

They have the best LT in the sport. That alone is giant advantage

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

3 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

Darnold > Watson. Watson would be garbage with the Jets O line

If I took what JN has to say seriously, literally everyone "would be trash" or "would be hell" on the Jets OTHER than Sam Darnold.

It's a bit difficult to take seriously tbqh.

3 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

So our guy comes back from being sick with mono (which you use to say he cant stay on the field)

Except I've never said that.

and first game back throws for over 300 yds and leads his under dog team to a win, winning AFC offensive player of the week, and thats your summary of his play?

Yes.  My summary of his play was a great 1st half and a generally unproductive 2nd half.

You still wish we had drafted Mayfield??

No, I didn't say that either. 

I was asked who I "wanted" on draft day, and on draft day my preference was Mayfield.  There is no "still" involved in my answer to that question.

You think he is going to be the better pro?

I don't know and neither does anyone here.  I think Mayfield can be a very good pro if can mature some.  I think he's already shown he has the skill-set to produce at the pro level.  It's his brain that' was, and is, questionable.

Again, I like Sam Darnold and think he has great potential.  I simply want to see him produce as least as well as "the guy who sucks" and who whose "hell" we avoided.   Do you not want to see that?  Then what is the objection with that desire exactly?

8 hours ago, johnnysd said:

You seem to not really be sold on Darnold AT ALL.

What does being "sold" mean?  Do I think Sam Darnold is today an elite top-5 NFL QB as many here at JN do?  No, I don't.  Not even close yet IMO.  

Do I think Sam Darnold has great potential to become a legit franchise QB, and to produce up to the level of people JN say "suck", yes, I do think he has that potential.

8 hours ago, johnnysd said:

You (and others) just seem to not see Darnold as a future franchise QB and would still rather we had a host of other QBs who you obviously seem to think are much better.  I am not exactly sure what you want to see from a young QB at all.

I'll repeat myself for clarity, I simply want to see him regularly produce as least as well as "the guy who sucks" and who whose "hell" we avoided. 

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

Darnold > Watson. Watson would be garbage with the Jets O line

Gotta Disagree. Watsons mobility would go along way to disprove that theory. I'm happy to have Sam but the Jets should have drafted Watson instead of Adams. It was a no-brainer with the Jets QB situation. You don't draft a low impact position like safety over arguably the most important position on the field. Macc made a terrible call here and there is no defense for it. He should have been fired for that alone.

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

If I took what JN has to say seriously, literally everyone "would be trash" or "would be hell" on the Jets OTHER than Sam Darnold.

Except I've never said that.   "Wake me when he plays all 16 games in a year."   Your words

Yes.  My summary of his play was a great 1st half and a generally unproductive 2nd half.

No, I didn't say that either.   So you wanted Mayfield, Ramsay and Watson.  If given a choice of any of those or Sam Id take Sam with no hesitation

I was asked who I "wanted" on draft day, and on draft day my preference was Mayfield.  There is no "still" involved in my answer to that question.   So youre saying that now you prefer Darnold?

I don't know and neither does anyone here.  I think Mayfield can be a very good pro if can mature some.  I think he's already shown he has the skill-set to produce at the pro level.  It's his brain that' was, and is, questionable.  Youve got opinions on everything else but here you dont know who you think will be better??

Again, I like Sam Darnold and think he has great potential.  I simply want to see him produce as least as well as "the guy who sucks" and who whose "hell" we avoided.   Do you not want to see that?  Then what is the objection with that desire exactly?   I think that most view Cousins as a serviceable QB and was the "safe" pick that wouldnt cost draft capital and we had the money.  Now that we see him floundering in Minn with far superior skill players than we have, I think most are happy that we wont be looking for a QB in 2 more years.  And we dont have the draft picks but we do have the money to sign more complementary players.

What does being "sold" mean?  Do I think Sam Darnold is today an elite top-5 NFL QB as many here at JN do?  No, I don't.  Not even close yet IMO.  Im not saying that he is a top 5 QB but he has shown flashes that make you believe he will be one.  You want to wait and after many years of being a Jet fan, i don t blame you, but I feel he is the real deal.  Half full or half empty, your choice.

Do I think Sam Darnold has great potential to become a legit franchise QB, and to produce up to the level of people JN say "suck", yes, I do think he has that potential.

I'll repeat myself for clarity, I simply want to see him regularly produce as least as well as "the guy who sucks" and who whose "hell" we avoided.  Fair enough

1 hour ago, JetFaninMI said:

Gotta Disagree. Watsons mobility would go along way to disprove that theory. I'm happy to have Sam but the Jets should have drafted Watson instead of Adams. It was a no-brainer with the Jets QB situation. You don't draft a low impact position like safety over arguably the most important position on the field. Macc made a terrible call here and there is no defense for it. He should have been fired for that alone.

Watson has the NFLs best WR.  

Just a random thought here:

How would you like to be a Bears fan.  They traded 2 3rd rounders and a 4th round pick to move up one spot to take Mitch Trubisky in 2017.  They could have stood pat or even moved down a bit and taken either Mahomes or Watson.  So instead of having a perennial all-star for their trouble, they probably have a guy just good enough to go 8-8 with that they might need to consider moving on from next year, all while wasting a very good defense that they burned 2 more 1st round picks on to improve for their 'run'.  

They have the 2nd least points scored in the NFC to go with the 2nd least points allowed.  One different decision 2 1/2 years ago and they are probably super bowl contenders.  They had 2 chances in 3 to get it right and they not only flubbed it, but they wasted draft picks in their certainty they were getting the right guy.  

I can relate to their pain but I am so happy to be looking at it from the outside for a change.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

How would you like to be a Bears fan.  They traded 2 3rd rounders and a 4th round pick to move up one spot to take Mitch Trubisky in 2017.  They could have stood pat or even moved down a bit and taken either Mahomes or Watson.  So instead of having a perennial all-star for their trouble, they probably have a guy just good enough to go 8-8 with that they might need to consider moving on from next year, all while wasting a very good defense that they burned 2 more 1st round picks on to improve for their 'run'.  

They have the 2nd least points scored in the NFC to go with the 2nd least points allowed.  One different decision 2 1/2 years ago and they are probably super bowl contenders.  They had 2 chances in 3 to get it right and they not only flubbed it, but they wasted draft picks in their certainty they were getting the right guy.  

I can relate to their pain but I am so happy to be looking at it from the outside for a change.

Trubisky is probably the worst starting QB in the NFL, and it's not even close.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

Trubisky is probably the worst starting QB in the NFL, and it's not even close.

From a purely statistical persepctive?  Right now it's Mayfield and it's not even close.

More objectively, you'd have to say either of MIA's QBs, Dalton and Winston are in the cellar and Daniel Jones is getting there fast.  I'm not sure I'd characterize Trubisky as the worst QB in the league, but he's definitely not living up to his draft status and the comparison to the 2 guys taken after him just have to feel like a nut-punch.

36 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Good point, don't overlook the Lions, Chargers, Falcons, and Eagles all with a FQB and playing themselves out of the playoffs as well

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

"Wake me when he plays all 16 games in a year."   Your words

Are you being critical of waiting till a full season of games is played to begin long-term evaluation?  Is this because I don't already rank Darnold as a top 5 NFL QB as some here seem to?

So you wanted Mayfield, Ramsay and Watson.  If given a choice of any of those or Sam Id take Sam with no hesitation

I wanted Watson in the 2017 Draft over Adams.  Because QB was a clear-cut need at that moment, far in excess of Safety.  

I wanted Cousins in Free Agency in 2018, because he produces.  4,000+ yards.  65-70% completion rate.  2:1 TD:INT Ratio and between 25-30 passing TD's every year.  Instant competitiveness.  And it only costs cap space, not multiple high-round draft picks.  

Let me remind you, we traded the #6 pick, 2x 2018 2nd Round Picks, and a 2019 2nd Round Pick for a CHANCE to get Sam Darnold.  If the Giants picked him, we're starting and hyping up who exactly today, Josh Allen?  

The choice isn't "Sam vs. Mayfield, Watson etc".  It's Sam vs. Cousins + the #6 Pick + 2x 2018 2nd Round Picks + the 2019 2nd Round Pick".  Remember that.

Cousins + a #1 and 2x #2's + not missing on ANY Free Agent we signed (Bell, Mosley, we had the cap space) would put the Jets in an instant competitive position right then and there.  And with picks to also pick a QB to develop behind Cousins too, like the aforementioned Allen.  Cousins + Allen + whomever those 2nds could have been, like O-Linemen for example.

So youre saying that now you prefer Darnold?

We drafted Darnold.  He IS our guy.  I root the laundry, for OUR guy as long as that guy shows promise and potential, witch Sam does so far.  

If I could hop timelines, and jump to one where we signed Cousins and drafted Allen and two 2nd Round O-linemen + Bell + Crowder + Mosely, would I trade places?  Yeah, I might.

I think that most view Cousins as a serviceable QB and was the "safe" pick that wouldnt cost draft capital and we had the money.  Now that we see him floundering in Minn with far superior skill players than we have, I think most are happy that we wont be looking for a QB in 2 more years.  And we dont have the draft picks but we do have the money to sign more complementary players.

So I'll ask again, when will Darnold be "serviceable" and produce regular, consistent, 4,000+ yard 28 TD, 70% completion seasons?  If you tell me it's now, great, then I'm happy and we can look forward to a great rest of this season.  If it's next year, fine, that's good enough i suppose given mono and poor backups ruined the first quarter of this year. 

That's what I keep saying, all I want is for OUR QB to start putting up play consistent with these "sucky", hell" and now "serviceable" seasons.

Im not saying that he is a top 5 QB but he has shown flashes that make you believe he will be one.  You want to wait and after many years of being a Jet fan, i don t blame you, but I feel he is the real deal.  Half full or half empty, your choice.

Yes, I'm sick of waiting, sick of excuses, sick of SOJ moments like a grown ass man getting mono ffs.  

And I'm sick of endless reasons why Jets QB's can't ever seem to put up AVERAGE NFL numbers and offense.  You know why I liked Fitz?  Because he gave a sh*t, he was fun to watch, the team with him was fun to watch, he threw his body around for the team, and he produced an average modern NFL production season for a change.

I don't want flashes.  I want 4 thousand + yards and 30 TD's and a minimum of 8 wins a year from now till I get tired of seeing it.  Not seasons effectively over in terms of competing by week 4 on the promise of "maybe in 2020, if we're lucky".

Cousins would have brought that production here, day one, no matter what the haters and homers say.  So yes, I am impatient and yes I am tired of SOJ excuses for why "it's really a few seasons from now" when we get a chance, maybe, to compete.  40 years of mostly sh*t will do that to a guy.

I took alot of sh*t for wanting to sign Cousins, and I get summoned back to every thread on him.  I read a ton of thread saying how bad our team would be with a guy who "sucks" like Cousins.  So damn right I think it's fair to ask when our guy will produce regularly, consistently, better than the guy those same folks said "sucks", especially when the "sucky" guy is putting up these kinds of numbers. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/30/2019 at 9:10 AM, docdhc said:

"Kirk Cousins, Franchise Quarterback" has never seemed sustainable. And now it's apparent that Minnesota's $84 million experiment is backfiring.

Unfortunately for an organization that has already dropped over $30 million into that sinkhole, the Vikings are likely handcuffed to Cousins for another 15 months and $50-odd million. 

Buyer beware. Better luck in 2021. It's a cold biz. 

So this article aged well.

Let me post a different article today, about Kirk Cousins being the top snub from the Pro Bowl this year:

Snub: QB Kirk Cousins, Minnesota Vikings

1 OF 8

964036c06e00495eed0e2d4772f8dd1f_crop_ex
Marcio Jose Sanchez/Associated Press

Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers is a future Hall of Famer, but he hasn't played well enough to warrant a spot on the NFC's Pro Bowl roster.

Instead, the final spot behind Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson and New Orleans Saints signal-caller Drew Brees should belong to either Kirk Cousins of the Minnesota Vikings or Dak Prescott of the Dallas Cowboys.

Cousins gets the edge here because he's been more efficient this season.

The Vikings signal-caller is the only quarterback other than Wilson with 25 or more touchdowns passes and five or fewer interceptions. Cousins is second among NFC quarterbacks with a 111.1 quarterback rating and is tied for fourth leaguewide with Prescott at 8.4 yards per attempt.

Furthermore, Cousins leads a 10-4 Vikings squad, while the 7-7 Cowboys might squeak into the playoffs.

These type of decisions typically aren't so obvious, but Cousins is clearly among the three best quarterbacks in the NFC this season.

70% Completions, 3,500 yards, 25 TD's to 5 INT's.  Leads a 10-4 team so far, 2 games (GB and CHI) to go.

Hellish, I know.

• Upvote 1