Darnold not cleared for contact

shuler82

With the first overall pick in the 2020 NFL draft, the New York Jets select Defensive Tackle Piere Patiatowski out of South West Missouri State. 

Positives- Has the ability to get A bull rush up the middle and is stout against the run. He is highly considered the best defensive player in the draft. 

Negatives- He's a 28 year old 5th year Sr. 

• Haha 4

Just now, sec101row23 said:

Once I heard that Sam wasn’t going to be re-examined until today, I knew there was no way he was going to be cleared for Sunday.  He’s been doing nothing for a month now, he was never going to be ready for the Eagles. 

He supposedly was doing cardio last week, but I tend to agree with you

11 minutes ago, SAR I said:

An important factor is the 2020 offseason. 

The reason we were able to attract some of the top free agents in March is because we sold them on the concept of winning right away.  To have a redshirt year like this, perhaps go 3-13, and then come out again with the story of immediate playoff contending might not wear well with next year's FA class.

We need Sam back out there on Sunday.  We need to start proving the theorem. 

SAR I

no, we don't.  it's almost better if we hold him out till week 7 and then go on a great run.

we can tell our new crop of free agents we would have been 12-4 with a healthy sam all year  (instead of 8-8).  great momentum into the next year.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

There is no way I would let him near this joke of an OL without a week of being cleared for contact. Yeah, let's  risk somthing unforeseen so we can win a stupid football game and permanently ending  Darnold's career. 

Especially against the Eagles on the road Oy Vey

42 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

I said IR him after the diagnosis, but who believes that medical science BS anyway?

This organization is a s### show.

My God, we go from one extreme to the other here.  Football season is until Jan. Its freaking Oct. There are three months left so let's  put our QB on the shelf for the rest of the season over something he gets over by week 6 most likely.  

1 hour ago, shuler82 said:

lmfao.  This ******* guy.  What a pansy ass.  Already waving the white flag.  Meanwhile, the rest of the NFL is operating perfectly fine with back up QBs; some 6th rounders, some rookies, some UDFA's...but heavens forbid anyone expect Adam Gase to overcome such adversity. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, shuler82 said:

Seems to me it is a pretty clear cut answer.  Even if he is cleared later int he week, what kind of shape will he be in after 3 weeks of an illness and not working out.  Start Falk, activate Mike White from the practice squad and hope Darnold can go against Dallas in two weeks.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sam is a "China doll" to you now?  FFS you're not even close to objective anymore.  

Calling him a china doll was in reference to him saying he wants Darnold to sit out the entire season, while he dissed Mosley and QW for not earning their pay. So there’s that.

I’m not going to lie though, I’ve had it up to here with you guys ripping everyone and everything about this team except for Darnold.

You want objectivity? Call me when he becomes what you say he is. With each passing week I’m getting more fed up with the Sammy bs on this site. Keep ripping every other Jets draft pick, player and coach, and giving Sammy a pass. He’s earned it, right?

51 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Too bad the NFL cannot change things to where players only get paid to suit up and perform. A lot of this injury nonsense would go away immediately. Not talking about Darnold who I think should sit the season out, but the rest of them? QW, Mosely etc.

What are you talking about? These guys are hurt. You think the same thing about saquon Barkley? What about Ryan shazier?

Please tell me what injuries you deem qualify for missing games? Mono and paralysis?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, JiF said:

lmfao.  This ******* guy.  What a pansy ass.  Already waving the white flag.  Meanwhile, the rest of the NFL is operating perfectly fine with back up QBs; some 6th rounders, some rookies, some UDFA's...but heavens forbid anyone expect Adam Gase to overcome such adversity. 

OUR BACKUP QB IS OUT FOR THE SEASON.

You understand this, yes?  That Luke is a 3rd stringer, yes?  We don't have a quarterback.  There is no NFL contingency for losing QB1 and QB2 in the same week.

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

He's not going to play against Philly. Get it out of your heads. There's a good chance he misses next week, too.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4000473/

Return-to-Play Considerations

There is general consensus that the athlete must be asymptomatic with resolution of symptoms such as fever, fatigue, and pharyngitis before they initiate any return to activity.20,31,33 The majority of those with IM will not feel well enough to pursue activity during the first weeks of illness, which makes clinical decisions easier. They ought to be afebrile and well hydrated.31,33,45 Any concern for oropharyngeal issues or airway compromise would clearly prohibit any sports participation.14,20,34,45 Although their level of conditioning would be expected to decline, the athlete should have full resolution of fatigue or risk prolonged symptoms.1,34 Resolution of laboratory abnormalities (eg, elevated white blood cell counts, abnormal liver function tests) do not play a role in assisting return-to-play decisions.34 It is difficult to predict who is at risk for prolonged symptoms, but competitive athletes may actually be at a lower level of risk for chronic fatigue.1,3,34 Nonetheless, the athlete should “feel good” before considering return to play.1,3,34

For those athletes who do have “early” resolution of symptoms, there is little consensus on the optimal time for return to activity. Keeping in mind that the highest risk for splenic injury is during the first 21 days of illness, it has not been shown that early return to light activity causes deleterious effects.21,26,43 The athlete should engage in very light activity at first (walking), with a gradual progression to light aerobic activity.33,36,45 Although it may take 2 to 3 months for the athlete to fully recover from IM, it appears they can initiate activity well before.1,34,43,46

The return to activities that place the spleen at risk for injury is a confounding matter. At this time, recommendations vary, and there is a lack of evidence-based protocols.33,45 The concern is the athlete participating in any activity that increases intra-abdominal pressure and contact sports that would place the chest or abdomen at risk for trauma.33,45 In ultrasound studies, peak spleen size is typically noted within the first 2 weeks of illness, but may extend to 3.5 weeks.18 The majority of spleen injuries occur within the first 21 days of illness and are exceedingly rare at >28 days.21,26,43 Fortunately, splenic rupture is rare, occurring in <0.5% of those with IM, but its consequences can be severe.20,34,43

Most recommendations support that the athlete with IM should rest for 3 weeks and then begin resumption of light activity.1,20,25,34 Keeping in mind there is so much individual variability to this disease and the exact date of onset is often difficult to establish, return-to-play recommendations should be individualized. Ultrasonography may play a role in return-to-play decisions, but the variability in baseline spleen size can limit its utility.19,28,39,43 Additional factors include the nature of the activity or sport (contact vs noncontact) and the season in which the illness occurs (competitive season vs off-season). Any return to competition must include a detailed explanation of the risk of splenic injury, since full recovery may take months (Figure 2).

An external file that holds a picture, illustration, etc. Object name is 10.1177_1941738114521984-fig2.jpg

Return-to-play recommendations for infectious mononucleosis (IM). Level of evidence, 4.7,9,24,28,32,35,40,41

There have been some novel attempts made to protect the spleen from contact for collision sports with a flak jacket22 or a customized protective brace for a college basketball season.37

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

What a freaking joke this is. This kid getting mono screwed the entire season. Meanwhile you guys are blaming Gase for losing with a PS QB, lol.

Imagine this place if another young QB missed at least a quarter of the season with mono? We'd be laughing our a** off and ripping  him apart.

Carolina, jacksonville, Pitt have all lost their starters and their teams are functional or better.  We have the worst offesne in the league and our head coach who is an offensive guru is getting a free pass.  Much like guys like bowles were given free passes for years.

Watch the offensive play design, watch the play calls.  Up to this point Gase has been a big fat fraud and it is really no surprise.  You would have to ignore his terrible offensive rankings with the dolphins to think he would be really  good here.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

24 minutes ago, SAR I said:

OUR BACKUP QB IS OUT FOR THE SEASON.

You understand this, yes?  That Luke is a 3rd stringer, yes?  We don't have a quarterback.  There is no NFL contingency for losing QB1 and QB2 in the same week.

SAR I

The difference between Trevor Siemian and Luke Faulk in negligible.   In fact, they played in the same Football game together on the same team.  Luke looked significantly better as did the offense with him under center.  Luke was a 6th round pick out of Washington St. that many people had as a sleeper pick.  Garnder Minshew was a 6th round pick who went to the same college, he's 2-1.   Kyle Allen was a UDFA and is 2-0 for the Panthers.   Amazing how those Head Coaches arent just shivering in the feedle position like Adam Gase. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

What a freaking joke this is. This kid getting mono screwed the entire season. Meanwhile you guys are blaming Gase for losing with a PS QB, lol.

Imagine this place if another young QB missed at least a quarter of the season with mono? We'd be laughing our a** off and ripping  him apart.

What I cannot understand is why we didnt sign a real QB when Darnold went down.  You cannot essentially forfeit 3-5 games of a 16 game schedule.