Darnold not cleared for contact

shuler82

19 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

not ideal?  Coach the rest of the team up and actually have a game plan for the qbs you do have.

Rest him the extra game if there is ANY doubt at all. 

Also, wtf do we have only one QB right now?  Dump one of our many jags and get fales or whoever else you  want back in here. 

edit:  I guess we do have this white dude, my bad.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Adam Gase

Jets head coach Adam Gase met with the media and had some critical pieces of information for anious fans wanting an update on the state of the team.

First and foremost, quarterback Sam Darnold has been cleared for non-contact activities only at this point.  Light running and throwing are likely next on the agenda.  This makes it highly unlikely he’ll be under center in six days.

On the plus side of things, it sounds as if Gase is going to start having players compete for playing time from this point onward, starting the best players on Sundays.

Gase said they are “competing” this week on the offensive line and they will put the best 5 guys out there on Sunday. #nyj

— Brian Costello (@BrianCoz) September 30, 2019

Previously, Gase handed out some jobs to tenured veterans such as Ryan Kalil, Brian Winters and Brandon Shell.  With a new approach, don’t be surprised if we see at least one major change on the O-line (Jonotthan Harrison over Kalil) with the possibility of Winters and Shell losing some reps to the likes of Tom Compton, Alex Lewis or rookie Chuma Edoga.  

So here's the Darnold situation in nut shell: He's not as far along as the #Jets had hoped. Still a chance he plays Sunday, but not clear cut. Now Gase must weigh Darnold recovery/conditioning vs. getting Falk enough practice reps in case he has to start. #Jets

— Rich Cimini (@RichCimini) September 30, 2019

The post Gase: Darnold not Cleared for Contact, Jets Players to Start Competing for Playing Time appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
DA9cUvfs944

Click here to read the full story...

What a freaking joke this is. This kid getting mono screwed the entire season. Meanwhile you guys are blaming Gase for losing with a PS QB, lol.

Imagine this place if another young QB missed at least a quarter of the season with mono? We'd be laughing our a** off and ripping  him apart.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

7 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

sounds like Mosley has no intentions on suiting up for a Luke Falk QB’d game.

Too bad the NFL cannot change things to where players only get paid to suit up and perform. A lot of this injury nonsense would go away immediately. Not talking about Darnold who I think should sit the season out, but the rest of them? QW, Mosely etc.

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The NFL is the only big 4 sport that does not have fully guaranteed contracts as their default for its players.  Now you're advocating cutting their pay if they're hurt, while playing one of the most violent sports on the planet?  That's borderline evil.  

he may as well have said " not talking about the W____ guys, but the lazy ____S?"

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

It's tricky because at 0-5 or 0-6 the whole season basically becomes an extended preseason, playing for nothing.

Either rush Sam back in an attempt to make 2019 meaningful, or we don't see meaningful football for over 11 months.  Ugh.

An important factor is the 2020 offseason. 

The reason we were able to attract some of the top free agents in March is because we sold them on the concept of winning right away.  To have a redshirt year like this, perhaps go 3-13, and then come out again with the story of immediate playoff contending might not wear well with next year's FA class.

We need Sam back out there on Sunday.  We need to start proving the theorem. 

SAR I

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Too bad the NFL cannot change things to where players only get paid to suit up and perform. A lot of this injury nonsense would go away immediately. Not talking about Darnold who I think should sit the season out, but the rest of them? QW, Mosely etc.

Yeah, God forbid anyone questions our "china doll" LMFAO

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, batman10023 said:

as i posted in the other thread, middle age men are very demanding of what they expect athletes to do to satisfy their entertainment.

Athletes get paid embarrassingly high salaries to take risks with their health.  That's the handshake deal we have with our gladiators.  We make them multi-millionaires at age 22, they risk a limp or a headache at age 50.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

An important factor is the 2020 offseason. 

The reason we were able to attract some of the top free agents in March is because we sold them on the concept of winning right away.  To have a redshirt year like this, perhaps go 3-13, and then come out again with the story of immediate playoff contending might not wear well with next year's FA class.

We need Sam back out there on Sunday.  We need to start proving the theorem. 

SAR I

What top free agents did we attract?

We were Bell's only real suitor, we had pay Mosley a ridiculous amount of money to get him away from Baltimore...

We had a OLB renege on a contract and couldn't lure any quality o-linemen.

We had interested coaches because of Sam...

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

He's going to get IRed, and we will be picking #1.  Then we'll have a giant debate on whether to pick another QB.  Typical SOJ.

Unlikely.  If he were going to be IR'd I'd think it would have happened in Week 2 so that the clock would start ticking and you could bring him back after 8 weeks.  I think that's how it works with that one spot you're allowed to designate as a player who can return from IR.

My guess is that he's truly week to week at this point.  The bigger issue is that I'd guess in order to play on Sunday he'd need to be cleared, at a minimum, by Wednesday morning so that he could practice on Wednesday/Thursday/Friday.

If he's not cleared today I don't think he'll be cleared by Wednesday.  It would be surprising.  How much is a spleen going to reduce in size in 48 hours when it's been enlarged since at least September 9th, and likely for days/weeks prior to that?

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

So, what will be telling is - who gets the first team reps in practice on Wednesday?

Darnold has been cleared to start throwing, but not for contact. But, if there is a good chance Falk is playing, Gase has to get him ready for Sunday. 

It seems like Gase has to decide very soon whether to rule Darnold out. Either he commits the week to getting Darnold reps and upping his conditioning or he commits to Falk for another week. 

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Athletes get paid embarrassingly high salaries to take risks with their health.  That's the handshake deal we have with our gladiators.  We make them multi-millionaires at age 22, they risk a limp or a headache at age 50.

SAR I

There's a difference between risking health, a knee, a concussion, etc. and your life.  If the doctors say, "Contact to the mid section could cause his spleen to rupture and kill him," then you simply can't play a contact sport like football until that risk is gone.  It's not like the Eagles are going to let him play with a red jersey on.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

What top free agents did we attract?

We were Bell's only real suitor, we had pay Mosley a ridiculous amount of money to get him away from Baltimore...

We had a OLB renege on a contract and couldn't lure any quality o-linemen.

We had interested coaches because of Sam...

Le'Veon Bell, CJ Mosley, Hakimle Omelette.

SAR I

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

There's a difference between risking health, a knee, a concussion, etc. and your life.  If the doctors say, "Contact to the mid section could cause his spleen to rupture and kill him," then you simply can't play a contact sport like football until that risk is gone.  It's not like the Eagles are going to let him play with a red jersey on.

They make midsection spleen guards, no?  That Kevlar stuff can stop a bullet, there must be something out there.

SAR I

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Unlikely.  If he were going to be IR'd I'd think it would have happened in Week 2 so that the clock would start ticking and you could bring him back after 8 weeks.  I think that's how it works with that one spot you're allowed to designate as a player who can return from IR.

My guess is that he's truly week to week at this point.  The bigger issue is that I'd guess in order to play on Sunday he'd need to be cleared, at a minimum, by Wednesday morning so that he could practice on Wednesday/Thursday/Friday.

If he's not cleared today I don't think he'll be cleared by Wednesday.  It would be surprising.  How much is a spleen going to reduce in size in 48 hours when it's been enlarged since at least September 9th, and likely for days/weeks prior to that?

He's been cleared to practice.  Just not contact yet.   My guess is there are drugs that can help shrink it and I imagine Dr's know the pace at which it's getting back to normal and can project reasonably well when it'll be okay.

But that's only if the spleen is the only issue holding him back.  He almost certainly lost a lot of weight too.  He might need to build back up some strength before being cleared.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

I think we are jumping the gun here.  Its monday.  Being cleared for contact means nothing today.  He still has 5 full days to get cleared.  He can practice wed/thurs and get rechecked again by doctors fri morning.

spleen.jpg

Sam Spleen is a warrior.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1