How was what Burfict did any worse than what Jones did

Here it is again, Geebus. We called it ''spearing'' back to PAL/POP Warner days. That word sums up the entire process. Don't know why that word changed. 

Locked, loaded and Bang. Someone is going to a die on the NFL football field some day.

And he was a sitting duck too.

10 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

The hit Jones made was possibly more flagrant because Allen was wrapped up and going down. Doyle was trying to get up and had not been touched. Granted, Burfict is a dirty player and he nearly ended Antonio Browns career but was Jones even suspended for one game but Burfict  gets the 12 games?

I wish he would have ended AB's career.  Although it was much more fun watching AB do it himself.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 4

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They already get killed on the field at the High School level.  

Football is violent sport at almost every level, some young people shouldn't play football. Do you still have to get a full physical before they play at any level, we did? Not that it is an answer, just curious?

8 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

Here it is again, Geebus. We called it ''spearing'' back to PAL/POP Warner days. That word sums up the entire process. Don't know why that word changed. 

Locked, loaded and Bang. Someone is going to a die on the NFL football field some day.

Tell me there is any difference. I think thebJo.es hit was much worse. True, Burfict has a history of this but I think Allen was actually unconcious on the field. 

There wasn't  even an accessed penalty on the play 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

My brother said the same thing to me last night. He works in medical sales and talks to doctors all the time. Players just get stronger and faster every year, so those impacts get gradually more severe, etc.  I too remember the term "spearing," though I only played one year of football.

I wonder too how much a sort of "highlight reel" mentality has increased over the years, with defenders more interested in getting a big hit rather than making an actual tackle. That's always been around to some extent, but perhaps more than ever today?

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Tell me there is any difference. I think thebJo.es hit was much worse. True, Burfict has a history of this but I think Allen was actually unconcious on the field. 

Allen was running, not sliding, Jones, and other scumbag were making a play, Jones lead with shoulder other defender draged Allen down to head level. It was literally a, forgive me, bang bang play, no time to adjust. Doyle's head was a tee'd up golfball. VB's eyes had to be down unless he can see through the top of his helmet. VB launched,   lead with the crown of his helmet, text book spearing. Splitting hairs, maybe, but that's how I see the difference.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

My brother said the same thing to me last night. He works in medical sales and talks to doctors all the time. Players just get stronger and faster every year, so those impacts get gradually more severe, etc.  I too remember the term "spearing," though I only played one year of football.

I wonder too how much a sort of "highlight reel" mentality has increased over the years, with defenders more interested in getting a big hit rather than making an actual tackle. That's always been around to some extent, but perhaps more than ever today?

We were taught as children to look at the belly button area ( cause it doesn't move), lock in, move forward, slide your head to a side of the other body, with feet on the ground drive forward will full force of a shoulder and drive opponent into the ground. I know Pro's aren't going to do that to a T, but fundamentals used to be preached in all the sports I played. 1972- 1984.

14 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

Allen was running, not sliding, Jones, and other scumbag were making a play, Jones lead with shoulder other defender draged Allen down to head level. It was literally a, forgive me, bang bang play, no time to adjust. Doyle's head was a tee'd up golfball. VB's eyes had to be down unless he can see through the top of his helmet. VB launched,   lead with the crown of his helmet, text book spearing. Splitting hairs, maybe, but that's how I see the difference.

Oh BS, Jones could have have actually not hit him, he actually stopped, set himself and launched into Allen's  head.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

It was much worse in the past with the hit highlights. ESPN used to have a jacked up segment and the George Michael sports machine show did sound effects like car crashes 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Burfict's hit was a 9.5 on the dirtbag scale while Jones' hit was a 9.0. I hate that the NFL is turning into flag football but these plays have no part in the game.

The reason Burfict was suspended for the remainder of the season is he has had multiple occurrences of intentional helmet to helmet hits on defenseless players and was warned that additional violations would be dealt with more severely.

The reason that Jones wasn't suspended or even flagged is that he plays for the Cheats* - plain and simple.

4 minutes ago, Larz said:

Once you have established yourself as a ball carrier and are no longer defenseless you lose the protection that a defenseless player gets 

Dummy should have slid down 

The dummy was wrapped up from behind. He would have had to be Houdini to get into a slide. Ueah, he has a history from last season diving for first downs but he had no chance to slide here. 

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

The dummy was wrapped up from behind. He would have had to be Houdini to get into a slide. Ueah, he has a history from last season diving for first downs but he had no chance to slide here. 

Happens to ball carriers every game 

I believe defenseless is in the act of throwing or catching or kicking something like that 

in any case the 2 plays are not really comparable 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

The hit Jones made was possibly more flagrant because Allen was wrapped up and going down. Doyle was trying to get up and had not been touched. Granted, Burfict is a dirty player and he nearly ended Antonio Browns career but was Jones even suspended for one game but Burfict  gets the 12 games?

Burflict previous "record" is why they gave him 12 games. it will get reduced upon appeal.  Jones should have gotten at least 2 games for his hit on Allen but it's the Pats so we all know how that plays into it.

1 hour ago, Apache 51 said:

i wasnt about to take the time...      cowbell for brains cant tell the difference, smh

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

yep.  to me the fact they called offsetting penalties is even more upsetting.  considering all the effort the refs do to keep tammy clean you'd think they would've handed out at least a personal foul on jones and picked up the holding call on the bills.

except he wasn't wrapped up or going down.  He was actively trying to get that first down.  There was no intent or malice.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

The reason that Jones wasn't suspended or even flagged is that he plays for the Cheats* - plain and simple.

Its early, still time for his suspension.

That hes a Patriot has nothing to do with it.  Pats get suspended too, hard to believe

I said this in another thread and was debating with @JiF about this.  They were both bad hits and should have both been penalized.  I think the biggest problem the NFL has right now is consistency....across the board.  Whether it's uneven assessment and levying of fines and punishments for things like the above or just differences in how pass interference and offensive holding is called from game to game with different officiating crews, the NFL is not being uniform in how it handles things.

Burfict has had something like 13 fines and suspensions, numerous warnings and letters over the years.  How many times do you let a repeat drunk driver get back on the road?

Is Burfict being made an example of?  It looks like it.  And, he should be.

That doesn't change the fact that other guys committing the same type of foul for the first time shouldn't be punished as well.

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Its early, still time for his suspension.

That hes a Patriot has nothing to do with it.  Pats get suspended too, hard to believe

The Cheats* get all kinds of preferential treatment, from critical 3rd and long in-completions that are  turned into 1st downs at key game changing situations due to BS holding/PI calls.

Their DB's hold, the OL holds and their WR's push off and commit OPI, not to mention the 'rub' plays that they never get called on. But the opposite happens all the time, the other team makes a key play and ****look**** for it - OH a penalty is called.

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I said this in another thread and was debating with @JiF about this.  They were both bad hits and should have both been penalized.  I think the biggest problem the NFL has right now is consistency....across the board.  Whether it's uneven assessment and levying of fines and punishments for things like the above or just differences in how pass interference and offensive holding is called from game to game with different officiating crews, the NFL is not being uniform in how it handles things.

Burfict has had something like 13 fines and suspensions, numerous warnings and letters over the years.  How many times do you let a repeat drunk driver get back on the road?

Is Burfict being made an example of?  It looks like it.  And, he should be.

That doesn't change the fact that other guys committing the same type of foul for the first time shouldn't be punished as well.

Imagine if the Bills did that to Brady. 

8 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

The doof had no intention of sliding...he saw the first down marker and that was that-he was NOT gonna slide...I said it many times last year when I saw him do this; "he is gonna get hurt with the way he runs"...the guy thinks he is Marshawn Lynch...Also Allen lowered his head right before Jones came in to stop a RUNNER who was going for the first down- What do you not get?? 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Without reading all the responses... Jones led with his shoulder. Allen (now a RB) was the one who lowered his head. While the result was bad for Allen, there was absolutely nothing Jones could have, or should have, done differently. If Allen had slid, absolutely there would have been repercussions. However, Allen was fighting for that last yard. Jones made sure he didn't get it. Experts and the NFL agree...

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

9 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

From the picture here, Jones led with his shoulder while Allen (now a RB) lowered his head to fight for that last yard. I know I'm 2 days late, so I know you realize why this is a mute conversation... 

49 minutes ago, Mark78 said:

The doof had no intention of sliding...he saw the first down marker and that was that-he was NOT gonna slide...I said it many times last year when I saw him do this; "he is gonna get hurt with the way he runs"...the guy thinks he is Marshawn Lynch...Also Allen lowered his head right before Jones came in to stop a RUNNER who was going for the first down- What do you not get?? 

He wasn't  going to get the first down and Jones planted, lined him up and led with his helmet.  What is it that you don't  get.