Dolphins fan charged $724 for 2 beers

Vendor arrested after charging $724 for two beers at Dolphins game

October 1, 2019 | 11:13am

These overpriced beers at a football game cost the vendor more than the fan.

A beer vendor at Sunday’s Miami Dolphins game was arrested after charging a fan $724 for two beers on a personal credit card reader, according to the Miami Herald. Collier is facing charges of third-degree grand theft and possession of a skimming device and was issued a $10,000 bond, according to Miami-Dade Corrections and Rehabilitation records.

Nathaniel Collier, 33, didn’t use the credit card reader Hard Rock Stadium provides to vendors, according to a police report obtained by the Herald. The fan received an alert, which included Collier’s name, for the excessive charge.

A spokesman for Hard Rock Stadium’s hospitality company Centerplate told the Herald that Collier, who had been a vendor at the stadium for more than a year, was working for independent subcontractor Rocket Man, not the Dolphins or the stadium.

While fans are used to overpaying for beer and other concessions at sporting events, not even a Dolphins fan going through a miserable season would pay that much.

34 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

A spokesman for Hard Rock Stadium’s hospitality company Centerplate told the Herald that Collier, who had been a vendor at the stadium for more than a year, was working for independent subcontractor Rocket Man, not the Dolphins or the stadium.

All large companies sub out to independent subcontractors to avoid liability. Like the Home Depot delivery guy who killed some woman during a delivery, that was three sub's contractors down.

I was in the mezz clubs for the browns game. I think I have pics of receipts I can find, but I paid something like $37 for 2 drinks. I think $31 for a second round. Maybe a red wine and a vodka soda on one trip. 2 beers on the other (variety is the spice of life? Or maybe my friend and I are a couple of drunks?).

Part of the challenge is the tip screen. Used to be I'd give a dollar each trip to get beers. Now, using Jets Cash on my app, I just hit 20%. I've given up, apparently like about half of americans (https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/15/travel/ipad-tipping-gratuity.html).

That was a few different tangentially related points in this rambling post. My apologies for that, and thanks for the hilarious comments above on the Fins' story!

3 minutes ago, Cornfed said:

I was in the mezz clubs for the browns game. I think I have pics of receipts I can find, but I paid something like $37 for 2 drinks. I think $31 for a second round. Maybe a red wine and a vodka soda on one trip. 2 beers on the other (variety is the spice of life? Or maybe my friend and I are a couple of drunks?).

Part of the challenge is the tip screen. Used to be I'd give a dollar each trip to get beers. Now, using Jets Cash on my app, I just hit 20%. I've given up, apparently like about half of americans (https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/15/travel/ipad-tipping-gratuity.html).

That was a few different tangentially related points in this rambling post. My apologies for that, and thanks for the hilarious comments above on the Fins' story!

I don't have receipts, but it was $31.20 and $37.20. 4 drinks total. Can see it on my Jets cash account.

Yeesh!