Beningo thinks Jets should tank for Tua

Rhg1084

41 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Its a legitimate thought.  Sam has proved nothing at this point(granted he hasnt played much).  We should still have a solid 10 games to judge Sam on this year.  But nothing he has done up to this point suggest he will be a good or even great qb.

If sam has a mediocre year and if tua is a cant miss superstar, you most definately pull the trigger.

Agreed. If the Jets are in position to take another QB next year, it should 100% be on the table.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

He said that on today’s show jets should go get Tua and dump Sam. Thoughts?

In my opinion, this is simply crazy. As many of you know, I am not the biggest Darnold supporter here. Having said that I also believe that signing Bell was crazy. You do not get a top RB or QB unless you have at the very least a better than average line. Our line sucked last year and is an unmitigated disaster this year. Even if Darnold comes back, how can we judge him based on how he plays behind this line? It would be unfair and abnormal to do so. All greatness start at the line and trickles around. No QB would succeed behind this line. I think that Bell is playing as great as he has ever played and yet he is going nowhere behind this line, is it fair to then judge him based on that? I think not. Keep Darnold, trade down and for as many picks as you can and build a line. 

• Post of the Week 1

If we end up with a very high pick (big IF) then that will give our GM the ammunition he needs to complete a rebuild more quickly.

Silly point really since Miami looks like a mortal lock for the #1 overall.

In any event.  Don't tank for Tua but tank for the King's ransom that he might bring.

• Upvote 1

First of all, I was listening.  Benigno wasn’t actually saying tank for Tua as much as he was just venting.  He was also saying he didn’t think Sam would play again this year which tells you all you need to know about Benigno.  He’s an over the hill buffoon who just spews negativity. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Well, if Darnold sits out the rest of the season (which, sounds unlikely given what we have heard), then tanking makes complete sense - although, not for a QB. If we got the number 1 overall pick, the idea would be to trade it for the haul of all hauls and build a legit roster around Sam. 

(Also, if Darnold were going to miss the rest of the season, I would be all about tanking. All about it. This team needs draft picks, draft picks, and more draft picks.)

But, if Darnold comes back over the course of the next few weeks and the Jets still can't win any games against a soft second half schedule, then Darnold most likely isn't the answer and I would have no problem taking Tua (although, of course, it depends on the evaluation of Darnold during the games he plays)

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, bitonti said:

for the record I suspect Fromm is the best of this group and even if he goes rd 6 like garner meshew (more like low 1 high 2nd) he's the guy you actually want over Tua and Hurts and all these others ... 

Hurts is better than Tua and Fromm is better than them both. Haven't watched enough of Herbert play, bit the small sample size I've seen, he's been good too.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Sam has to get on the field. If his season is already lost and he’s not back within the next few weeks or so, the Jets would be silly to not at least kick around the idea of taking another. He missed time last year too.

If he comes back and sucks, so be it, tank the rest of the season. But I think when he comes back you have to try to win to see if he can be your guy or not. The best scenario for the Jets is he is the guy, and we can use future draft capital to build a roster around him

16 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

We need to figure out of Darnold is the real deal or not by letting him try to win games in 2019.  Ridiculous suggestion.

I would take it a step further and say that it is impossible to judge Darnold on his play in 2019 based on this disastrous line. I believe that the kid would be ok had he been given some time to actually set and throw. The line is beyond horrendous, the receivers are not getting open and Darnold cannot complete a pass. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, freestater said:

Hurts is better than Tua and Fromm is better than them both. Haven't watched enough of Herbert play, bit the small sample size I've seen, he's been good too.

herbert is soft like every other Oregon Qb since dan fouts 

joe barrow is in that late 1/rd2 convo as well 

I don't want the Jets to burn every pick on QB but at what point do we question Darnold's durability?

• Thumb Down 1

53 minutes ago, deucebag said:

This roster is pathetic and needs a complete overhaul....for anyone who doubts this please share with me what is this team's strength?  What do we do well?  answer NOTHING.

This thread really captures the point here.

It is not about whether Darnold is better than a QB you can draft today.

The point is that Mac drafted Darnold into a complete barren roster and did not use the Darnold draft or the next draft to fill the holes that needed to be filled to support Darnold.

Darnold being sick now is actually a blessing, to Darnold.  Otherwise he would end up maimed like Siemian.  

So the Jets should either have a plan to build the roster next year so Darnold could be competitive in year 3 of his contract, like Goff and Wentz were (they actually had good rosters by year 2), or reboot and use picks from trading Darnold to start the rebuild around a new QB.

My fear is that if we stick with Darnold, the Jets become the second coming of Matt Stafford and the Lions.  

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Agreed. If the Jets are in position to take another QB next year, it should 100% be on the table.

I mean, one of Maccagnan’s capital offenses was not setting up the roster for a young QB, so your thought is to add a second highly-drafted young QB to what will likely be a worse roster next year? 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, bostonmajet said:

I would tank for Tua and then auction off the pick to the highest bidder and get a shot at an LT, #1 WR, Center, and maybe some help at CB. Of course, with Miami and Washington sucking so badly, it may be hard to suck that much...

While it would suck to watch this year, going 1-15 and getting the #1 pick and trading it away is the best thing for the future with all the holes on this roster.  We need multiple picks to make up for a Maccagnan’s piss poor drafting which has decimated this roster.

1 hour ago, NYJ37/12 said:

Its this type of thinking that has kept the Jets on spin cycle since 1969.

I doubt that. The Jets have taken just 5 QB's in the 1st round since 69, and only two of them have been top 5 picks (Sanchez, Darnold). 

The Jets have been on the spin cycle because we've not had a great front office or a history of great head coaches. 

I think tanking is largely a media/fan created myth. That said, if you're thinking of tanking for tua, may as well hold off a year and lose for Lawrence...

Again, though, when do people think these mythical payouts will come? Lose this year. Lose next year. But we'll totally nail it in 2022! 

Crazy to me that some folks seem to think a team can plan things so precisely when we see such huge swings and upsets and whackiness in the NFL from week to week.

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I mean, one of Maccagnan’s capital offenses was not setting up the roster for a young QB, so your thought is to add a second highly-drafted young QB to what will likely be a worse roster next year? 

By definition all teams that pick QBs high in the draft have lousy rosters.  

Mac knew that the Jets would eventually be drafting a QB.  He should have been building an OL and WRs to support him.  

In 2017 Mac still thought that Hack was going to work, so he drafted defense and then Stewart and Hanson-2 other busts.

In 2018 Mac drafted Darnold (good), Shepherd (really bad), Herndon (good), Nickerson (bad), Cannon (mostly bad) and Foley (mostly bad).  Passed over Orlando Brown and others.

In 2019 Mac drafted Quinnen (tbd), Jacquai and Chuma, Trevon, Cashman, Austin.   

So basically, even if you started from the Darnold pick, he was not supported with draft picks.  If the Jets drafted a new QB in 2020, the rest of the draft and FAs would support the QB, and a veteran could start initially.   The Darnold situation now is a uniquely screwed up Jets thing that is fixable, but will take time.  

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Anyone thinking the ny jets should or will use resources to get a QB any time soon need to be in concussion protocol.

I mean reading this board you can tell it’s quite obvious there’s a number of people here with a few screws loose.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

And this is a prime example of why Benigno has always been a clown.

If the Jets end up with a Top 5 pick and don’t trade down, then it’s either Jerry Jeudy or Andrew Thomas.

I can see them taking chase from Ohio state he may the 1st overall pick

It's stupid but not surprising coming from him. We don't need Tua and who is to say he will be great in the NFL. He should be pretty good but nobody knows for sure. We do know a lot about Sam and he is pretty good. Not sure how good probably somewhere between Ken O'Brien and Marino closer to O'Brien. We need a better O-line and another Mosley type of a player on D. Get someone who is established as a pass rusher. Every time we draft one the guy ends up being not that good.