Beningo thinks Jets should tank for Tua

Rhg1084

the jets dont need to tank they are as bad as the dolphins

I would not give up on sam yet but get him some real weapons and a real coach

when they have the first or second pick of the draft they should trade it for a ransom in return

• Upvote 3

I still believe in Darnold, but let's see how the rest of the season plays out.  He'll be back in the next few weeks, and his performance for the rest of the season will be telling.

Darnold has all the talent in the world, but if he can't prove he can stay on the field, then it's worth exploring other options.  Bottom line, he has missed 5 of 19 games so far in his career.  If he doesn't show signs of being the long term solution at QB by the end of this season, and the Jets are in position to draft another potential franchise QB, they absolutely should pull the trigger.

I love Darnold and his potential, but he hasn't proven a damn thing yet.

20 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

No, no, no, no.   

I agree they should go with the best receiver available to get a weapon around Sam but he supposedly the best DE in the upcoming draft. I would trade down and get a ew picks and draft sign olinemen and receivers

8 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Whether the Jets pick 1st, 5th or 15th.....they should trade down in almost any scenario.  This teams needs an infusion of young talented players.

Try to get as many picks in the 3rd and 4th rounds as possible.  To me, that's almost always the sweet spot of the Draft.

The Idzik 12 was a disaster.  But I think Joe will be better.

Give me the Douglas Dozen!

Sweet spot, Jets draft picks, 3rd and 4th round ???

Sweet spot is kicking the GM in the sack.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Whether the Jets pick 1st, 5th or 15th.....they should trade down in almost any scenario.  This teams needs an infusion of young talented players.

Try to get as many picks in the 3rd and 4th rounds as possible.  To me, that's almost always the sweet spot of the Draft.

The Idzik 12 was a disaster.  But I think Joe will be better.

Give me the Douglas Dozen!

Honestly round one/two are the picks unless you are a gm for the Jets you should get right almost by slot draft position in round one. the later rounds I am hoping he finds fringe draftees, finding guys that perform and play that is where you get the best value starters found in the late rounds are tough to find but they have to be found for this team to work through the rebuild

I think the other related point though is that, if the Jets decide after due consideration that Darnold is their guy, they need more picks to maximize Darnold during the next three years.  They don't need BPA DTs and S at pick 6.  They need lots of offense bodies in the top three rounds.  

If anyone having doubt, I may suggest to watch the first game of the season.  Darnolds was under constant pressure the whole game with poor OL scheme leaving an extra defender to go after him, suspect offensive game plan and still was able to complete 70% of his passes.  He finished the game mistake free and did not came close to be intercepted.   This same Bills' defense that made Brady into Nathan Peterman. 

• Upvote 4

Even if I thought Sam needed a replacement I would still rather we trade back and build up the offense. If Sam still can't get it done then at least we have some pieces to trade up for a QB or be a semi-attractive destination for a FA QB. Get another potential franchise QB and throw him behind this line and he might pull a Luck and bounce after a couple seasons of injuries. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Its a legitimate thought.  Sam has proved nothing at this point(granted he hasnt played much).  We should still have a solid 10 games to judge Sam on this year.  But nothing he has done up to this point suggest he will be a good or even great qb.

If sam has a mediocre year and if tua is a cant miss superstar, you most definately pull the trigger.

Then it probably would be the first for Benigno .

Out of sight is out of mind. 

It amazes me how just how short most people's patience has become. 

Look, i'm sure that Douglas and Gase thought that the 2019 Jets were a potential playoff team...at best.

If Sam can't play for the majority of the year, then you play to tank,so to speak.

Sam isn't the reason why this team stinks. The core of this team is just too thin and void of character, leadership and experience. That's why they stink.

Losing a whole bunch of games will weed out the weaklings.

Douglas will do what Mac didn't do with a high draft pick, and that's to TRADE DOWN!!!

3 hours ago, DonCorleone said:

In my opinion, this is simply crazy. As many of you know, I am not the biggest Darnold supporter here. Having said that I also believe that signing Bell was crazy. You do not get a top RB or QB unless you have at the very least a better than average line. Our line sucked last year and is an unmitigated disaster this year. Even if Darnold comes back, how can we judge him based on how he plays behind this line? It would be unfair and abnormal to do so. All greatness start at the line and trickles around. No QB would succeed behind this line. I think that Bell is playing as great as he has ever played and yet he is going nowhere behind this line, is it fair to then judge him based on that? I think not. Keep Darnold, trade down and for as many picks as you can and build a line. 

Everything said here is Gospel and why I said last year let Mayfield play with the Jets OL and see what happens and the same for Daniel Jones this year.  

The level that Darnold played at last year with the Jets OL was a miracle IMO........

• Upvote 2

Okay folks....everyone craps on this idea, but look at the facts:

We are in year two of the Darnold era, and he has shown glimpses, but at this point we still don't know.

Starting next season, Sam will be on year 3 of his 4 year rookie contract.  Yes, there is an 5th year option, but he will be 3/4 way through his rookie deal.  

The thought pattern is this:  Tua is a well-touted prospect, as was Darnold.  So, what you are doing is hitting the reset button with the rookie QB contract, and STILL getting at LEAST 1 good first round pick, if not multiple picks.

I love Sam too, and this in my opinion is only if the Jets have the 1st overall pick, but smart GM"S would at least make the calls to see what you could get.  And if its worth it, you pull off that trade.

• Thumb Down 1

I guess the other thing to consider is what you could get in return for the 1st overall pick to get TUA.  

So

TUA at a cheaper cost and multiple picks for Darnold

OR

multiple picks for Tua that is a better offer than what you get for Darnold.

Although, Arizona got a first for Josh Rosen, and Darnold is thought of MUCH more highly than Rosen is.

First off, the odds of the Jets picking top 3 if Sam returns in the next few weeks is slim. There’s 6-8 winnable games on this schedule if the Jets can get healthy. Miami x2 Washington Bengals Raiders Pittsburgh. And that’s not mentioning Buffalo or the Giants. 

Second, this franchise would be better served accumulating draft picks and building around the young QB they already have. If they did somehow land in the top 5 trade back. Let Douglas rebuild this roster. The QB position is already in good hands.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Its a legitimate thought.  Sam has proved nothing at this point(granted he hasnt played much).  We should still have a solid 10 games to judge Sam on this year.  But nothing he has done up to this point suggest he will be a good or even great qb.

If sam has a mediocre year and if tua is a cant miss superstar, you most definately pull the trigger.

if Tua is a superstar like manziel and leinhart it's a no brainer right?

that's who you wanted us to draft right?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, deucebag said:

I just fear that our roster is in such bad shape it will take 2-3 GREAT drafts to get us to a competitive level - so we must be realistic and understand that we are wasting Sam's career by keeping him.  If the Jets ended up with the #1 pick in the 2020 draft you have two choices - trade the #1 pick for a haul or trade Darnold for a haul.  Given, as we look forward to 2020, we desperately need 4-5 OL, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 DL, 2 Edge and 2 CBs - thats 19 holes to fill!  We could keep Sam and rise to the ranks of mediocrity, maybe even a wild card birth - however our roster is so obscenely void of NFL talent we would be foolish to think Sam would take us to the Super Bowl anytime soon regardless of how talented he is.  Then if we keep Sam and we peak at "decent" or "competitive"  why would Sam re-up here?  Then you end up losing him in two years for nothing and we are back to square one.  Personally I believe Same will become a top 5 QB in this league some day and quite possibly the best from the 2019 class - nevertheless you just dont keep him hostage while try to figure out the rest of the roster.

If we are 0-7 by the time the trade deadline rolls around, wouldn't be wise to deal away Robby Anderson, Le'veon Bell, Jamaal Adams and Leo Williams for picks?   Then before the draft ship Darnold to the Cowboys, Rams or Bears for a haul of future picks (say the 2020 #1, #2 and #4 the 2021 #2 and #3).  

This roster is pathetic and needs a complete overhaul....for anyone who doubts this please share with me what is this team's strength?  What do we do well?  answer NOTHING.

if our roster is so bad you want to get rid of anderson, bell, adams?

and fill them with what? 

this seems like such a stupid move.

and how often do QB not re-up with their same team after year 5 (assuming the team wants them)?  that is a stupid point.

If the first 1/4 of the season is any indication they don’t need to tank, it may happen anyway.

I will say that the Jets should keep an eye on both Tua and Lawrence for future reference. If both play well this year the Jets should trade out for an additional 2021 1st rounder.

If Darnold isn’t the answer they at least have a shot at Lawrence...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, DRJETS said:

If anyone having doubt, I may suggest to watch the first game of the season.  Darnolds was under constant pressure the whole game with poor OL scheme leaving an extra defender to go after him, suspect offensive game plan and still was able to complete 70% of his passes.  He finished the game mistake free and did not came close to be intercepted.   This same Bills' defense that made Brady into Nathan Peterman. 

and he had mono.