Jump to content

Beningo thinks Jets should tank for Tua


Rhg1084
 Share

Recommended Posts

darnold is all of 9 months older than tua.  tua is a good college player without doubt but is he that much better than darnold as a pro at this stage?  the only thing that remotely makes sense is the jets really only control darnold for 3 more seasons after this one whereas they'd have tua for 5 seasons.  that's not enough of a reason.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, varjet said:

By definition all teams that pick QBs high in the draft have lousy rosters.  

Mac knew that the Jets would eventually be drafting a QB.  He should have been building an OL and WRs to support him.  

In 2017 Mac still thought that Hack was going to work, so he drafted defense and then Stewart and Hanson-2 other busts.

In 2018 Mac drafted Darnold (good), Shepherd (really bad), Herndon (good), Nickerson (bad), Cannon (mostly bad) and Foley (mostly bad).  Passed over Orlando Brown and others.

In 2019 Mac drafted Quinnen (tbd), Jacquai and Chuma, Trevon, Cashman, Austin.   

So basically, even if you started from the Darnold pick, he was not supported with draft picks.  If the Jets drafted a new QB in 2020, the rest of the draft and FAs would support the QB, and a veteran could start initially.   The Darnold situation now is a uniquely screwed up Jets thing that is fixable, but will take time.  

So, here’s the thing. Let’s presume that Tua goes #1 and the Jets have the fourth overall pick. We’re going to pass on one of the freak OLTs or WRs to take Jake Fromm, who might not be a better prospect than Darnold anyway? It just seems highly reactionary. If they’re disenchanted with Darnold, trade out of #3 for a 2021 first, then hope that first, plus a year of bad or injured Darnold, puts you in position to tank for Trevor Lawrence. You don’t dump Darnold two years in for Jake Fromm, imo. But you can dump him in three for Trevor.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Beningo is just totally frustrated. I don't blame him, but he's wrong about dumping Sam in connection with the next draft and tanking for Tua. What the morons in Florham Park should do is build up an OL around Sam ... that's the only way we're ever gonna know whether he's a FQB. Moreover, even if Sam isn't a FQB, we need to shore up the OL in any case; otherwise, ANY QB we get will be doomed to fail.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Because this is what the media does. They stir the pot. If JD trades Darnold for Tua, I would have to really question his qualifications.  Darnold is not Josh Rosen. Darnold showed significant  progress at the end of last season and has not played a game this season where he was totally healthy  but even then made a remarkable 2 point conversion play. Darnold has shown he can throw on the run, he has better than average accuracy,  he sees the field at an NFL level and has pocket presence. All we know about Tua is he is an excellent college QB. A lot of people thought Jeff George and Ryan Leaf were can't  miss QB's. Tua might be the next Mega bust. Sam also could have been o E but it isn't  looking that way. You don't  dump a QB like Darnold for an unknown. 

ur missing the point, the Jets as a team are in no condition to develop a QB right now, with a couple of excellent drafts we could be in two years - by that time Darnold will be a FA and fed up with losing.  Nobody is suggesting a trade of Darnold for Tua, but instead trade Darnold to the Cowboys, Bears or Rams for a freaking haul and then draft a new QB with the #1 pick, whether it be Tua or Hebert or Fromm.  Draft OL, WRs and a RB and build for the purpose of building a championship team...this band aid approach does not work.   Our roster is worse than last year because Osemele is a major downgrade from Carpenter, Kahil is a major downgrade from Harrison and Beachum got 10 years older in the offseason and Shell has regressed.   We counted on Enuwa, Anderson and Crowder and Herndon to be down the field threats, one's gone, ones suspended, one is underperforming and the last one is one dimensional.  It would be a very fair statement to say that every move this offseason backfired, so we wnet from having a crappy roster to a bottom 3 roster.  Mac deserved to get fired, lets celebrate his departure and start from scratch or next year will be even a bigger disappointment.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Joe Willie said:

I think Beningo is just totally frustrated.

He's not totally frustrated.  He's not even a Jets fan anymore.

Joe Beningo is a DJ with a job he doesn't want to lose who is working for a new employer looking to cut salary to the bone.  So he plays a role.  He's an actor.  When his masters tell him to, he queues up the "I'm The Dying Jets Fan" act. 

As soon as the Jets lose, all the WFAN hosts start promoting him on their shows.  The overnight guy "I can't wait to hear Joe Beningo tomorrow at 11".  Boomer the next morning "I saw Joe in the cafeteria, he is hot, I've never seen him so angry, be sure to tune in at 11 to hear him".  It's all an act.

And when he gets into these fabricated moods you can tell his heart isn't in it.  He's just going through the motions.  It's all fakery for a buck.  The guy should have retired 3 years ago.  Jets fans don't want to heart it anymore.  We get it.  We know.  We don't need an aged actor playing the SOJF on the radio the same way we don't need an aged actor leading some phony 'chant' at the stadium.

SAR I

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Joe Willie said:

I think Beningo is just totally frustrated. I don't blame him, but he's wrong about dumping Sam in connection with the next draft and tanking for Tua. What the morons in Florham Park should do is build up an OL around Sam ... that's the only way we're ever gonna know whether he's a FQB. Moreover, even if Sam isn't a FQB, we need to shore up the OL in any case; otherwise, ANY QB we get will be doomed to fail.

Ur not being realistic, it will take a min of two drafts to build an entire OL - we need all five positions!!!!!!!    Darnold is talented and I say with confidence he can easily become a top ten QB in this league - but not on a team that has no talent around him other than Bell.   This team stinks, I have never seen a more pathetic OL, we have one WR and he cannot take a hit.  Do you realize we need 5 Offensive Linemen?  2-3 WRs, another TE, 2 CBs, 2 LBs and 2 DL in order to be a competitive team next year?    Thats 14 players - at a minimum it would take two very successful drafts and two very successful free agency off seasons to fill all those needs.

 

Hey I drank the Kool aide and thought we'd be damn good this year, I never imagined the OL would be this bad, or Darnold would get mono, or Enuwa wud get hurt or Tru would not perform.   This is a clusterphuk!  Tear it down to the bones and start from scratch with what we hope is a competent GM.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

He's not totally frustrated.  He's not even a Jets fan anymore.

Joe Beningo is a DJ with a job he doesn't want to lose who is working for a new employer looking to cut salary to the bone.  So he plays a role.  He's an actor.  When his masters tell him to, he queues up the "I'm The Dying Jets Fan" act. 

As soon as the Jets lose, all the WFAN hosts start promoting him on their shows.  The overnight guy "I can't wait to hear Joe Beningo tomorrow at 11".  Boomer the next morning "I saw Joe in the cafeteria, he is hot, I've never seen him so angry, be sure to tune in at 11 to hear him".  It's all an act.

And when he gets into these fabricated moods you can tell his heart isn't in it.  He's just going through the motions.  It's all fakery for a buck.  The guy should have retired 3 years ago.  Jets fans don't want to heart it anymore.  We get it.  We know.  We don't need an aged actor playing the SOJF on the radio the same way we don't need an aged actor leading some phony 'chant' at the stadium.

SAR I

C'mon Bro. Mans gotta eat.

  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, SAR I said:

He's not totally frustrated.  He's not even a Jets fan anymore.

Joe Beningo is a DJ with a job he doesn't want to lose who is working for a new employer looking to cut salary to the bone.  So he plays a role.  He's an actor.  When his masters tell him to, he queues up the "I'm The Dying Jets Fan" act. 

As soon as the Jets lose, all the WFAN hosts start promoting him on their shows.  The overnight guy "I can't wait to hear Joe Beningo tomorrow at 11".  Boomer the next morning "I saw Joe in the cafeteria, he is hot, I've never seen him so angry, be sure to tune in at 11 to hear him".  It's all an act.

And when he gets into these fabricated moods you can tell his heart isn't in it.  He's just going through the motions.  It's all fakery for a buck.  The guy should have retired 3 years ago.  Jets fans don't want to heart it anymore.  We get it.  We know.  We don't need an aged actor playing the SOJF on the radio the same way we don't need an aged actor leading some phony 'chant' at the stadium.

SAR I

I wish I could pin this post to the first page. This is so spot on. I can't stand Beningo, it frustrates me to no end that people give this guy the time of day.

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, y2k8 said:

Sam Darnold turned 22 in June.  He is a week younger than Daniel Jones and two years younger than Baker Mayfield.

He is going to be - at minimum - a very good QB. That's his floor.  I want to see his ceiling.

People are insane.

 

WTF are you talking about when you bring up Darnold's "floors" and "ceilings"? You talk like they're an actual thing, and not your BS opinion. It's so damn stupid I can't believe it.

When you say "He is going to be -at minimum - a very good QB. That's his floor." you are implying he ALREADY IS a "very good QB". LMFAO 

He isn't, and you stating he is one is ludicrous. Right now his "floor" is his rookie year. One in which he was the 28th ranked QB in the NFL. That is the only FACT you have right now regarding him and his "floor". That is the "floor" he is on.

His "Ceiling"? That is where you can spout all the nonsense you want to about a young player. You can throw out all the stupid projections you want, and nobody will care, because it's only your opinion of how high "his ceiling" is, and how good he CAN become. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I mean, one of Maccagnan’s capital offenses was not setting up the roster for a young QB, so your thought is to add a second highly-drafted young QB to what will likely be a worse roster next year? 

The alternative is to just hitch the whole wagon to Darnold and hope for the best. Until you’re certain you’ve got the guy, finding the guy is the most important thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I love Benningo!!  Oh the pain!!

Yes, back in the early days of the internet, Beningo was required listening.  As soon as the Jets postgame show was over, boom, Beningo time.  His was the place to go to make sure your hot take was the same, and it almost always was.  He would talk about the few plays that got under your skin, he would go after the villains that made the mistakes that made you nuts, it was therapeutic.  Must listen radio.

But it's not 1995 anymore.  The hot takes are generated by young social media reporters and forum members like us during the games themselves.  As soon as the networks turn off, you jump over to SNY for Post Game Live and get the hot take from Bart and Ray.  The next morning, it's Boomer.  And then, after you've heard and read hours worth of coverage, then you get to Beningo.

But he doesn't have the hot take anymore.  Quite the opposite.  He's being fed the social media narratives from the night before and he's putting on an act while reading other people's takes.  It's pathetic.

Joe is irrelevant.  Some of it is age, most of it is that he doesn't work Sunday's at 6pm anymore.  No one cares what he has to say at 11AM Monday.

SAR I

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, deucebag said:

Ur not being realistic, it will take a min of two drafts to build an entire OL - we need all five positions!!!!!!!    Darnold is talented and I say with confidence he can easily become a top ten QB in this league - but not on a team that has no talent around him other than Bell.   This team stinks, I have never seen a more pathetic OL, we have one WR and he cannot take a hit.  Do you realize we need 5 Offensive Linemen?  2-3 WRs, another TE, 2 CBs, 2 LBs and 2 DL in order to be a competitive team next year?    Thats 14 players - at a minimum it would take two very successful drafts and two very successful free agency off seasons to fill all those needs.

 

Hey I drank the cool aid and thought we'd be damn good this year, I never imagined the OL would be this bad, or Darnold would get mono, or Enuwa wud get hurt or Tru would not perform.   This is a clusterphuk!  Tear it down to the bones and start from scratch with what we hope is a competent GM.

The Oline as a group is playing terribly, but you can fix it by having Egodba develop, signing one player and drafting one player. 

Put Brandon Sherff at RG, Andrew Thomas at LT and Egodba at RT along with Harrison and Osmele and you will be fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Yes, back in the early days of the internet, Beningo was required listening.  As soon as the Jets postgame show was over, boom, Beningo time.  His was the place to go to make sure your hot take was the same, and it almost always was.  He would talk about the few plays that got under your skin, he would go after the villains that made the mistakes that made you nuts, it was therapeutic.  Must listen radio.

But it's not 1995 anymore.  The hot takes are generated by young social media reporters and forum members like us during the games themselves.  As soon as the networks turn off, you jump over to SNY for Post Game Live and get the hot take from Bart and Ray.  The next morning, it's Boomer.  And then, after you've heard and read hours worth of coverage, then you get to Beningo.

But he doesn't have the hot take anymore.  Quite the opposite.  He's being fed the social media narratives from the night before and he's putting on an act while reading other people's takes.  It's pathetic.

Joe is irrelevant.  Some of it is age, most of it is that he doesn't work Sunday's at 6pm anymore.  No one cares what he has to say at 11AM Monday.

SAR I

Yes, perfect

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, deucebag said:

Ur not being realistic, it will take a min of two drafts to build an entire OL - we need all five positions!!!!!!!    Darnold is talented and I say with confidence he can easily become a top ten QB in this league - but not on a team that has no talent around him other than Bell.   This team stinks, I have never seen a more pathetic OL, we have one WR and he cannot take a hit.  Do you realize we need 5 Offensive Linemen?  2-3 WRs, another TE, 2 CBs, 2 LBs and 2 DL in order to be a competitive team next year?    Thats 14 players - at a minimum it would take two very successful drafts and two very successful free agency off seasons to fill all those needs.

 

Hey I drank the cool aid and thought we'd be damn good this year, I never imagined the OL would be this bad, or Darnold would get mono, or Enuwa wud get hurt or Tru would not perform.   This is a clusterphuk!  Tear it down to the bones and start from scratch with what we hope is a competent GM.

I understand we need a lot of elements. It seems to me, though, that we need to start building an OL as fast as possible; otherwise, Sam (or anyone else) won't stand a chance, no matter how good he is. I agree that this is a clusterf**k, and that an entire teardown is necessary. It's unfortunate because we lack the kind of consistency that makes great teams ... we're not even mediocre at this point, and we suck, big time.

I really never thought that we'd amount to much this season because I saw what Gase did in Miami.I just couldn't drink the Florham Park water. I would have liked to have been wrong, but there it is for all to see ... 0-3 on our way to 0-6, and beyond. 

As to Beningo, maybe everyone is right about his acting ability. If he is acting, then he's been good 'cuz he articulates accurately my feelings of despair, frustration, and downright anger. 51 years of suffering is enough, don'tcha think?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I agree with this.

Darnold hasn't proven anything yet, but he's our QB for the next 3 years minimum. We have to build around him.

Def this year and all of next year.  But you take a qb in round 3 or 4 of this years draft.  We cannot be caught with falks and siemidns anymore. We need a minshew or kyle allen or rudolph as backup.

and if darnold gets hurt again next year and the young guy steps in and is better then darnold, the job is his.

We are not ryan tannehilling this situation for 5 or 6 years w/ darnold.  If he doesnt show us he can play this year or next, we move on from him.

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, freestater said:

Hurts is better than Tua and Fromm is better than them both. Haven't watched enough of Herbert play, bit the small sample size I've seen, he's been good too.

I know you watch a lot of college ball but you must have missed watching Bama over the last three years. Hurts was terrible with all of that Bama talent around him and as soon as Tua went into action they were a completely different team.

Hurts is a product of Riley, nothing more nothing less. He's inferior to Tua at everything and I'm not even sold on Tua. Fromm is a game manager at the next level.....a less mobile Alex Smith. No thanks.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

WTF are you talking about when you bring up Darnold's "floors" and "ceilings"? You talk like they're an actual thing, and not your BS opinion. It's so damn stupid I can't believe it.

When you say "He is going to be -at minimum - a very good QB. That's his floor." you are implying he ALREADY IS a "very good QB". LMFAO 

He isn't, and you stating he is one is ludicrous. Right now his "floor" is his rookie year. One in which he was the 28th ranked QB in the NFL. That is the only FACT you have right now regarding him and his "floor". That is the "floor" he is on.

His "Ceiling"? That is where you can spout all the nonsense you want to about a young player. You can throw out all the stupid projections you want, and nobody will care, because it's only your opinion of how high "his ceiling" is, and how good he CAN become. 

You seem angry.

He's already demonstrated under adverse conditions (bad coaching, poor talent) what he is capable of doing at a supremely young age.  He has the work ethic that is required to improve and over time develop into a good, possibly great, QB.   

What evidence do you have that he isn't already a good QB?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, y2k8 said:

You seem angry.

He's already demonstrated under adverse conditions (bad coaching, poor talent) what he is capable of doing at a supremely young age.  He has the work ethic that is required to improve and over time develop into a good, possibly great, QB.   

What evidence do you have that he isn't already a good QB?

Um, did you watch most of last year and week 1 of this year?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, RobR said:

I know you watch a lot of college ball but you must have missed watching Bama over the last three years. Hurts was terrible with all of that Bama talent around him and as soon as Tua went into action they were a completely different team.

Hurts is a product of Riley, nothing more nothing less. He's inferior to Tua at everything and I'm not even sold on Tua. Fromm is a game manager at the next level.....a less mobile Alex Smith. No thanks.

I still say Herbert is easily the best QB in next years class and I’m not even head over heels for him.

The crown jewel is still Lawrence in 2021, even if he’s been shaky so far this season. 

The next two offseasons should be devoted to shoring up the OL, the WR corps and finding a solid starting corner or two.

People ditching Darnold already is absurd.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...