Beningo thinks Jets should tank for Tua

Rhg1084

15 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I still say Herbert is easily the best QB in next years class and I’m not even head over heels for him.

The crown jewel is still Lawrence in 2021, even if he’s been shaky so far this season. 

The next two offseasons should be devoted to shoring up the OL, the WR corps and finding a solid starting corner or two.

People ditching Darnold already is absurd.

I haven't watched much of Herbert but what I did see was a guy who looks the part but he was a first read dinking and dunking machine. Again I haven't watched much of him and it might have only been those two games.

I agree with the rest. I'd go heavy Oline and WR in the draft because that is where the strength of the draft is. Allocate the free agency money for a couple of corners. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, RobR said:

Pretty sure @Lith already realizes this. He's been pretty hard on him in the draft forum.

Yup.  Well aware of it.  Fromm's strength is how he reads a defense and what he does at the line of scrimmage pre-snap.  He throws a lot of touch passes, back shoulder throws, fades, that kind of thing, takes advantage of a lot of play action off a great running game, but I have not seen the arm to zip a ball into tight windows at the next level.  Have never seen him carry the team if the running game is not working.  I love the kid, and hope he proves me wrong (this season, not next), but I don't see him as an elite level prospect.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

You seem angry.

He's already demonstrated under adverse conditions (bad coaching, poor talent) what he is capable of doing at a supremely young age.  He has the work ethic that is required to improve and over time develop into a good, possibly great, QB.   

What evidence do you have that he isn't already a good QB?

No, not angry at all, just think stating his “floor” the way you did was, let’s say, funny(?).

As for your question, how about his 2018 QBR(28th) his won loss record (4-10) his TD to int ratio, his missing 6 games out of 20 so far, his failure to raise the level of the offense the way a good young QB will (see Daniel Jones in just two starts, no Barkley, a terrible WR corps) and various other young QBs have recently.

Not to mention the fact that in his ‘18 Draft class alone he’s been passed by Mayfield and Jackson. Probably Jones also from this year.

Think this sounds silly? I mentioned yesterday that a week after the ‘18 draft probably 50% of Browns fans, 90% of Ravens fans, and 60% of Giants fans would’ve trade their 1st round picks for Darnold in a minute.

Today? I don’t think you could find 10% of any of those fan bases that would do it.

You guys are incredible. We are not trading Sam. He is either Andy Dalton or Arron Rodgers for the JET's the next ten years. If you don't believe in him you should find a new team.

Radio DJs ..say no more.

Guy gets sick and you want to stab him in the back.... Tua is not anything special so far. Tua is QB on the 1st or 2nd best football factory in the nation. What the hell is he going to do for the JETS? Nothing.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

The Oline as a group is playing terribly, but you can fix it by having Egodba develop, signing one player and drafting one player. 

Put Brandon Sherff at RG, Andrew Thomas at LT and Egodba at RT along with Harrison and Osmele and you will be fine.

Dude, Osemele is a lost cause, he may be more done than a retired Kahlil.  He stunk it up for the Raiders the last two years - as it turns out - it wasnt the Raiders it was him.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

48 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Def this year and all of next year.  But you take a qb in round 3 or 4 of this years draft.  We cannot be caught with falks and siemidns anymore. We need a minshew or kyle allen or rudolph as backup.

and if darnold gets hurt again next year and the young guy steps in and is better then darnold, the job is his.

We are not ryan tannehilling this situation for 5 or 6 years w/ darnold.  If he doesnt show us he can play this year or next, we move on from him.

This is the second comment about Darnold's injury history - does anyone realize he's not had one injury as a pro yet - last year was BS to give him a break.  This year he sucked face with a FDU whore - mono is not an injury.

27 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

We've got a guy.  Someone at least worth building a team around.  I think you build around him next year, and if it blows up, at least you've got some pieces in place and maybe a shot at Trevor Lawrence.

It's all fluid. If Darnold comes back and plays 12 games at a Pro Bowl level, then obviously taking another QB would be off the table; ditto if we're at a spot where taking a QB would be a reach, or whatever. I'm just saying that Darnold still has a lot to prove, and until that changes, I don't think we're in a position to turn down drafting next year's QB1 (or QB2) if circumstances conspire to allow us to do so.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, deucebag said:

ur missing the point, the Jets as a team are in no condition to develop a QB right now, with a couple of excellent drafts we could be in two years - by that time Darnold will be a FA and fed up with losing.  Nobody is suggesting a trade of Darnold for Tua, but instead trade Darnold to the Cowboys, Bears or Rams for a freaking haul and then draft a new QB with the #1 pick, whether it be Tua or Hebert or Fromm.  Draft OL, WRs and a RB and build for the purpose of building a championship team...this band aid approach does not work.   Our roster is worse than last year because Osemele is a major downgrade from Carpenter, Kahil is a major downgrade from Harrison and Beachum got 10 years older in the offseason and Shell has regressed.   We counted on Enuwa, Anderson and Crowder and Herndon to be down the field threats, one's gone, ones suspended, one is underperforming and the last one is one dimensional.  It would be a very fair statement to say that every move this offseason backfired, so we wnet from having a crappy roster to a bottom 3 roster.  Mac deserved to get fired, lets celebrate his departure and start from scratch or next year will be even a bigger disappointment.

Did you read what the OP posted. You want to start a thread about how we are wasting time developing Darnold because we won't  be able to sign him to a new deal, go ahead. God knows we have more idiotic threads than that but don't tell me I'm missing the point when the OP is saying in no uncertain terms we should tank for Tua. 

31 minutes ago, deucebag said:

This is the second comment about Darnold's injury history - does anyone realize he's not had one injury as a pro yet - last year was BS to give him a break.  This year he sucked face with a FDU whore - mono is not an injury.

Some think mono was a BS injury too.  So we have a qb that is so bad he had to secretly be benched twice??  Hahahahahaha

• Thumb Down 2

55 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

No, not angry at all, just think stating his “floor” the way you did was, let’s say, funny(?).

As for your question, how about his 2018 QBR(28th) his won loss record (4-10) his TD to int ratio, his missing 6 games out of 20 so far, his failure to raise the level of the offense the way a good young QB will (see Daniel Jones in just two starts, no Barkley, a terrible WR corps) and various other young QBs have recently.

Not to mention the fact that in his ‘18 Draft class alone he’s been passed by Mayfield and Jackson. Probably Jones also from this year.

Think this sounds silly? I mentioned yesterday that a week after the ‘18 draft probably 50% of Browns fans, 90% of Ravens fans, and 60% of Giants fans would’ve trade their 1st round picks for Darnold in a minute.

Today? I don’t think you could find 10% of any of those fan bases that would do it.

exactly. I think think he has to get this year, but if he doesnt start wowing us by the end of the year you have to start looking elsewhere. 

7 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Okay folks....everyone craps on this idea, but look at the facts:

We are in year two of the Darnold era, and he has shown glimpses, but at this point we still don't know.

Starting next season, Sam will be on year 3 of his 4 year rookie contract.  Yes, there is an 5th year option, but he will be 3/4 way through his rookie deal.  

The thought pattern is this:  Tua is a well-touted prospect, as was Darnold.  So, what you are doing is hitting the reset button with the rookie QB contract, and STILL getting at LEAST 1 good first round pick, if not multiple picks.

I love Sam too, and this in my opinion is only if the Jets have the 1st overall pick, but smart GM"S would at least make the calls to see what you could get.  And if its worth it, you pull off that trade.

As usual, the "Voice of Reason" negative reps a post without actually engaging in the conversation.

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Did you read what the OP posted. You want to start a thread about how we are wasting time developing Darnold because we won't  be able to sign him to a new deal, go ahead. God knows we have more idiotic threads than that but don't tell me I'm missing the point when the OP is saying in no uncertain terms we should tank for Tua. 

That is not the point.  You don't tank, period.  But IF you wind up with the first overall pick, and you know you can have your choice of QB's, and you can get more for Darnold than you can get for the 1st overall pick, why wouldn't you consider it?  Don't hide behind "idiotic thread."  Say why you wouldn't want to do it, or at the very least, consider it depending on what the offer is.

• Upvote 1

I honestly haven't even questioned sticking with Darnold. Not once. He's the guy for this season and next, he IS the plan for now. Everything this team does is about him. They got Bell for Darnold, they brought in Gase for Darnold, and whatever steps they take next spring will be about supporting Sam Darnold. He showed the game isn't too fast, that he has playmaking ability and accuracy in unorthodox times from unorthodox stances, both in college and now in the pros.

There's been a lot of hand wringing born from not having him out there, and general pessimism (warranted or not) over the rest of the team. I think an objective take is that they have somebody promising, not perfect like Mahomes seemingly is. But they have something to work with, and work with it they will.

This desire bottom out and look for other QB prospects, that's just our need for instant gratification talking, on multiple fronts. We haven't seen him lately and so our imaginations are running wild.

So the jets red shirt hackenburg for 2 plsu years and kept stiffs like petty and geno around for years and people want to move on from  the 1st legit franchise Qb this team has seen on years. Boo ya!

The talent level of the jets offense is beyond laughable overall other than Bell.

Bring in whoever your fav Qb is and they will get ass spanked if they have the same type of  crew we currently have (and a very suspect coach to boot imo)

58 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

That is not the point.  You don't tank, period.  But IF you wind up with the first overall pick, and you know you can have your choice of QB's, and you can get more for Darnold than you can get for the 1st overall pick, why wouldn't you consider it?  Don't hide behind "idiotic thread."  Say why you wouldn't want to do it, or at the very least, consider it depending on what the offer is.

Oh Jesus Christ.read what the OP said. It's  literally right there in his post. We should tank. I'm responding to that.

As for your point,  it's  freaking stupid. We get the number 1 pick we trade back for additional picks. Simple as that. This is a deep draft coming up and if we can get additional first round picks which is totally possible from a team like Miami or Minnesota, you do that. Only a moron would trade away a FQB in Hope's that you draft another. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, deucebag said:

Hey I drank the Kool aide and thought we'd be damn good this year, I never imagined the OL would be this bad, or Darnold would get mono, or Enuwa wud get hurt or Tru would not perform.   This is a clusterphuk!  Tear it down to the bones and start from scratch with what we hope is a competent GM.

The OL and Tru were not only predictable but likely. This was never going to be a good team, Darnold and Enunwa aside.

14 hours ago, SAR I said:

He's not totally frustrated.  He's not even a Jets fan anymore.

Joe Beningo is a DJ with a job he doesn't want to lose who is working for a new employer looking to cut salary to the bone.  So he plays a role.  He's an actor.  When his masters tell him to, he queues up the "I'm The Dying Jets Fan" act. 

As soon as the Jets lose, all the WFAN hosts start promoting him on their shows.  The overnight guy "I can't wait to hear Joe Beningo tomorrow at 11".  Boomer the next morning "I saw Joe in the cafeteria, he is hot, I've never seen him so angry, be sure to tune in at 11 to hear him".  It's all an act.

And when he gets into these fabricated moods you can tell his heart isn't in it.  He's just going through the motions.  It's all fakery for a buck.  The guy should have retired 3 years ago.  Jets fans don't want to heart it anymore.  We get it.  We know.  We don't need an aged actor playing the SOJF on the radio the same way we don't need an aged actor leading some phony 'chant' at the stadium.

SAR I

Fake fans everywhere. It would take brain damage to want to pretend to be a fan of this team. Closet Jets fans must outnumber fake Jets fans 1,000,000 to 0.

You’re propagating the JN version of a moral panic. This problem does not exist. Although I do understand its utility to you as a convenient (albeit via logical fallacy) way to dismiss without effort views you find disagreeable. Of which there are many from passionate, real fans when the team sucks.

• Upvote 1

Random disjointed thoughts....

These scenarios are straight up hockey talk and trades. You can't do 2 top 5 QBs on the same roster like you can carry, and most importantly play at the same time, 2 potential #1 centers, for instance. So 2 at the same time is out. Can't develop both. Selling a ton of players at the deadline isn't and never has been an NFL practice either. Not in the way some are suggesting.

We'd be at a disadvantage on trades for the #1 anyway. Other teams would see that we can't carry 2 1st round QBs and bid low. They'd get together to work us down too. 

I watch a ton of college football living in Alabama now, and that really doesn't mean anything. But I don't think Tua is even the #1 college QB right now. We're in the middle of a bet with Darnold and some want to bail and make another one. 

1 hour ago, Jet9 said:

Random disjointed thoughts....

These scenarios are straight up hockey talk and trades. You can't do 2 top 5 QBs on the same roster like you can carry, and most importantly play at the same time, 2 potential #1 centers, for instance. So 2 at the same time is out. Can't develop both. Selling a ton of players at the deadline isn't and never has been an NFL practice either. Not in the way some are suggesting.

We'd be at a disadvantage on trades for the #1 anyway. Other teams would see that we can't carry 2 1st round QBs and bid low. They'd get together to work us down too.

This is an interesting theory however if multiple teams at looking for a QB I don't think it will matter. The Colts weren't looking for a QB when we moved up to #3 and we paid a hefty price. It's all about the QB crop and if there is a significant drop off from one QB to another.

19 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Why would this push anyone’s buttons?  Its an idea that he thinks we should follow.  If tua is the next pat mahomes, then its definately worth debating if we start out 0-6 or 0-7 this year.

Why do posters on this board have to call joe imbecile, idiot etc.  Its really strange that poster get irate over one mans suggestion.

Because it is an absurd, childish suggestion that makes zero football sense, since Sam Darnold has already shown enough signs of franchise QB potential.  The Jets have desperate needs at OL, secondary and WR, and you want them to tank for a QB when they already have Darnold?  Probably the stupidest suggestion I have ever heard from a Jets fan, and there have been many!

And if the Jets start off 0-6 or 0-7, it won't be because of the QB, it will be mainly because of the OL, or lack thereof.

• Upvote 1

Lets see, the last 4-5 games of last season.  The opener.  Indy.  Denver.  Any others, thats 8 games out of 12 a year ago?

Given what we no know he was going through health wise, what by now we know of Buffalos D, he played a good game, well enough to win.

Lots of patience here with whats obviously to anyone with eyes a very talented kid.

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Lets see, the last 4-5 games of last season.  The opener.  Indy.  Denver.  Any others, thats 8 games out of 12 a year ago?

Given what we no know he was going through health wise, what by now we know of Buffalos D, he played a good game, well enough to win.

Lots of patience here with whats obviously to anyone with eyes a very talented kid.

Patience, makes me think of G&R, not the mind of a Jets fan.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, dbatesman said:

It's all fluid. If Darnold comes back and plays 12 games at a Pro Bowl level, then obviously taking another QB would be off the table; ditto if we're at a spot where taking a QB would be a reach, or whatever. I'm just saying that Darnold still has a lot to prove, and until that changes, I don't think we're in a position to turn down drafting next year's QB1 (or QB2) if circumstances conspire to allow us to do so.

Sure - I just don't think he needs to look Pro Bowl caliber at this point for us to skip a QB next year.  The team is trash.  If he looks like a Pro Bowl QB, we should erect statues.  Now, obviously if he looks like trash, you gotta move on, but I think we've seen enough of Darnold at this point to suggest a high enough floor that it's worth trying to add talent.  Especially, if you consider the fact that having a Tua available when we pick, probably nets us some extra picks, and we can finally, maybe, add some offensive players on this team.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Why is it that almost all of these "so and so said on his show today" turn out to be the listener gets the wrong idea of what was actually said, he hears what he wants or thinks he hears?

Because it's hard to imagine anyone not on a feeding tube listening to daytime talk radio?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2