Beningo thinks Jets should tank for Tua

Rhg1084

And this is a prime example of why Benigno has always been a clown.
If the Jets end up with a Top 5 pick and don’t trade down, then it’s either Jerry Jeudy or Andrew Thomas.

Right. Build around the damned kid already. Beningo is simply the worst

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

9 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Oh Jesus Christ.read what the OP said. It's  literally right there in his post. We should tank. I'm responding to that.

As for your point,  it's  freaking stupid. We get the number 1 pick we trade back for additional picks. Simple as that. This is a deep draft coming up and if we can get additional first round picks which is totally possible from a team like Miami or Minnesota, you do that. Only a moron would trade away a FQB in Hope's that you draft another. 

Well, I'm glad you are not the moron GM'ing this team.

When you are 0-3 and out of the playoffs for a decade, you listen to everything about everyone.  This is not coming from the perspective of thinking Josh Allen is better than Sam Darnold.  I think Sam is great; BUT, if someone blows you away with an offer for him, you get to reset your QB rookie contract, and still get a potential FQB out of it, you listen. 

Sam isn't a FQB yet.  I think he will be, but he isn't yet.

7 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

When you are 0-3 and out of the playoffs for a decade, you listen to everything about everyone.  This is not coming from the perspective of thinking Josh Allen is better than Sam Darnold.  I think Sam is great; BUT, if someone blows you away with an offer for him, you get to reset your QB rookie contract, and still get a potential FQB out of it, you listen. 

The problem with this is that in order for someone to offer you the moon for Sam Darnold, they’d have to think he’s an elite QB prospect. Given the Jets inability to scout QB talent, it’s probably advisable to trust the other team’s assessment over your own. It’d be like owning an old car that you don’t know much about and having a classic car collector offer you $50k for it—you’re probably getting fleeced on that deal but you don’t know it because you’re a meathead.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, RobR said:

I know you watch a lot of college ball but you must have missed watching Bama over the last three years. Hurts was terrible with all of that Bama talent around him and as soon as Tua went into action they were a completely different team.

Hurts is a product of Riley, nothing more nothing less. He's inferior to Tua at everything and I'm not even sold on Tua. Fromm is a game manager at the next level.....a less mobile Alex Smith. No thanks.

I respect your opinion, especially about prospects. I'll continue to watch, and see if my own opinion changes. What the hell do I know, I thought Brady Quinn was going to light the league up lol

12 hours ago, deucebag said:

Dude, Osemele is a lost cause, he may be more done than a retired Kahlil.  He stunk it up for the Raiders the last two years - as it turns out - it wasnt the Raiders it was him.

here's a hot take KO can still run block. Kalil and Winters are DONE

they needed to get Alex Lewis and Harrison in the lineup weeks ago

ultimately it comes down to contract size dictating playing time i.e. SoJ

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Sure - I just don't think he needs to look Pro Bowl caliber at this point for us to skip a QB next year.  The team is trash.  If he looks like a Pro Bowl QB, we should erect statues.  Now, obviously if he looks like trash, you gotta move on, but I think we've seen enough of Darnold at this point to suggest a high enough floor that it's worth trying to add talent.  Especially, if you consider the fact that having a Tua available when we pick, probably nets us some extra picks, and we can finally, maybe, add some offensive players on this team.

I think no matter who the QB is, they should probably try to add talent.  ;-)

No but seriously, what else can you do?  Go all in on offense next year.  Screw D.  Literally spend every single pick and FA dollar into offense.  Field UDFA's at every position on D for all I care.  Just surround Sam with as much as you can and see what he's got.  If Joe D is a competent drafter, you would hope there will be some talent here for the next QB to work with instead of building the car while some young inexperienced never available boogie boarding QB is trying to drive it.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The problem with this is that in order for someone to offer you the moon for Sam Darnold, they’d have to think he’s an elite QB prospect. Given the Jets inability to scout QB talent, it’s probably advisable to trust the other team’s assessment over your own. It’d be like owning an old car that you don’t know much about and having a classic car collector offer you $50k for it—you’re probably getting fleeced on that deal but you don’t know it because you’re a meathead.

In this scenario the real question is; do you like Darnold better than Tua, Herbert, Lawrence, Fromm, Eason.

I'd venture to say yes.  None of those dudes are really all that intriguing.   Maybe Eason or Lawrence spark some interest but the next few years of QB's are underwhelming, IMO.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, JiF said:

In this scenario the real question is; do you like Darnold better than Tua, Herbert, Lawrence, Fromm, Eason.

I'd venture to say yes.  None of those dudes are really all that intriguing.   Maybe Eason or Lawrence spark some interest but the next few years of QB's are underwhelming, IMO.

1. Lawrence 

2. Darnold

3. Tua

4. Eason

5. Fromm 

6. Herbert 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Eh, plenty of terrible GMs around. The Bill's have done a much better job building thier team than we have, and they traded up for Josh Allen 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

You have got to be a glutton for punishment. Let's cut them down

Geno, Petty, Hack, Fitz, Penny, Sanchez, Clemmens, Foley, O'Donnell, McKown

Those I believe are our last 10 QB fails. We finally have a QB that not only has the potential to be our first FQB in over a decade, has the potential  to be a top 5 in the league and you want to trade him for the sake of resetting the QB salary?

I have seen some pretty asinine ideas floated here but this one might take the cake. I am hoping Darnold is going to be so good, he beco.es the highest paid player in the league and I want the Jets to be the o es paying him. You said yourself he looks like he will be a FQB? Can you say that about any QB that has been through here since Vinney? That's  how long it's  been. 

I swear, I am in disbelief  over this statement considering what we have trotted  through here at this position. We haven't  even had a guy that there was hope with at QB but now that there is, let's trade him so we have money for other positions that we don't  even know if our newly minted GM is smart enough to draft (he sure as Hell can't  pick FA's so far).

Unbelievable.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I see him play and I think Marino.......cannon for an arm, cocky, can fit the ball into anywhere he needs to. Those other guys aren't in the same stratosphere.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

On paper Darnold prolly is better than all of them (Lawrence still has a lot to prove), what worries me about Darnold (and was my only concern about him coming out) is he is susceptible to batted down passes due to his long(ish) delivery.  He has enough arm strength that a CB cannot make a break on the ball once he releases it, but getting the pass off - as long as he is in the pocket - will always be a concern.  Of course he is not nearly as bad as Byron Leftwich nor as pathetic as Richard Todd was (tipped when he was going to throw by patting the ball) but its still a concern.

Out of the 2020 class, I believe Jake Fromm may turn out to be the best of the group over the long haul, he may not have the big arm, but everything else is there.  

15 hours ago, RobR said:

I haven't watched much of Herbert but what I did see was a guy who looks the part but he was a first read dinking and dunking machine. Again I haven't watched much of him and it might have only been those two games.

I agree with the rest. I'd go heavy Oline and WR in the draft because that is where the strength of the draft is. Allocate the free agency money for a couple of corners. 

We need two edge rushers and perhaps two DL with McClendon and Leo leaving after the season.   Henry Anderson also should not be a starter, he is more effective as a situational pass rusher.  We need a min of 3 new OL for 2020, 2 WRs, 1 TE, 2 CBs, 2 OLBs and 2 DL.  If we could fulfill half those needs prior to next season it would be a miracle.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

here's a hot take KO can still run block. Kalil and Winters are DONE

they needed to get Alex Lewis and Harrison in the lineup weeks ago

ultimately it comes down to contract size dictating playing time i.e. SoJ

This is a Johnson thing.  Clearly. Have been doing it from Day 1.  

9 hours ago, jgb said:

Fake fans everywhere. It would take brain damage to want to pretend to be a fan of this team. Closet Jets fans must outnumber fake Jets fans 1,000,000 to 0.

You’re propagating the JN version of a moral panic. This problem does not exist. Although I do understand its utility to you as a convenient (albeit via logical fallacy) way to dismiss without effort views you find disagreeable. Of which there are many from passionate, real fans when the team sucks.

Can you repeat that in a form of language I can understand?

SAR I

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Lets see, the last 4-5 games of last season.  The opener.  Indy.  Denver.  Any others, thats 8 games out of 12 a year ago?

Given what we no know he was going through health wise, what by now we know of Buffalos D, he played a good game, well enough to win.

Lots of patience here with whats obviously to anyone with eyes a very talented kid.

+1000

Nothing has changed since our optimistic preseason beliefs.  Sam Darnold October is still Sam Darnold August.  He hasn't been himself since preseason.  His reputation/potential hasn't been tarnished one iota because he ate some tainted oatmeal.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Joe Douglas gave Kalil 8 mill and darn it he's gonna get that 8 mil out of him hook or crook 

I think if Kalil is either cut or does not play, the Jets save money that can be used next year. 

I would really do that than waste money on him now.  

50 minutes ago, SAR I said:

+1000

Nothing has changed since our optimistic preseason beliefs.  Sam Darnold October is still Sam Darnold August.  He hasn't been himself since preseason.  His reputation/potential hasn't been tarnished one iota because he ate some tainted oatmeal. 

SAR I

So that's what they call it these days??

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think you are right Tom.  I don't think you would get the offer.  But it seems Cowbell below here can't seem to understand the difference between listening and acting. 

This is a hypothetical trade consideration ONLY if you have the 1st overall pick.

If someone calls with an offer for Sam, you listen.  More than likely, you get a better offer for the first round pick.  But Washington gave up 3 number ones to move up for Robert Griffin, and then drafted Kirk Cousins a few rounds later.  You never know what kind of stupid offer someone is willing to pay.  A good GM will listen.  A bad GM will act when the price isn't right. 

5 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

You have got to be a glutton for punishment. Let's cut them down

Geno, Petty, Hack, Fitz, Penny, Sanchez, Clemmens, Foley, O'Donnell, McKown

Those I believe are our last 10 QB fails. We finally have a QB that not only has the potential to be our first FQB in over a decade, has the potential  to be a top 5 in the league and you want to trade him for the sake of resetting the QB salary?

I have seen some pretty asinine ideas floated here but this one might take the cake. I am hoping Darnold is going to be so good, he beco.es the highest paid player in the league and I want the Jets to be the o es paying him. You said yourself he looks like he will be a FQB? Can you say that about any QB that has been through here since Vinney? That's  how long it's  been. 

I swear, I am in disbelief  over this statement considering what we have trotted  through here at this position. We haven't  even had a guy that there was hope with at QB but now that there is, let's trade him so we have money for other positions that we don't  even know if our newly minted GM is smart enough to draft (he sure as Hell can't  pick FA's so far).

Unbelievable.  

Just to be clear Cowbell, in no way shape or form did I ever mention anything in the highlighted area.  You and Phil should get together!  You guys are good at pushing agendas about what posters are perceived to be stating compared to what they say.

And it is REALLY hard to take you seriously when you are bitching about a GM who didn't pick the best dumpster fire kicker and centre the first time.  I notice you have a tough time saying anything about the kicker who we now have....you know, the guy who hasn't missed anything yet.  Not bad for another dumpster fire find!

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

I think you are right Tom.  I don't think you would get the offer.  But it seems Cowbell below here can't seem to understand the difference between listening and acting. 

This is a hypothetical trade consideration ONLY if you have the 1st overall pick.

If someone calls with an offer for Sam, you listen.  More than likely, you get a better offer for the first round pick.  But Washington gave up 3 number ones to move up for Robert Griffin, and then drafted Kirk Cousins a few rounds later.  You never know what kind of stupid offer someone is willing to pay.  A good GM will listen.  A bad GM will act when the price isn't right. 

Just to be clear Cowbell, in no way shape or form did I ever mention anything in the highlighted area.  You and Phil should get together!  You guys are good at pushing agendas about what posters are perceived to be stating compared to what they say.

And it is REALLY hard to take you seriously when you are bitching about a GM who didn't pick the best dumpster fire kicker and centre the first time.  I notice you have a tough time saying anything about the kicker who we now have....you know, the guy who hasn't missed anything yet.  Not bad for another dumpster fire find!

He made 2 mid range FG. He is competent.  Woopty Doo. You say he hasn't  missed anything like he has kicked 20 FGs with 5 beyond 50 yards.

Don't  get me started  on Kalil and that horrible kicker who cost us the Bill's game. 

You mentioned resetting the QB's salary by trading Darnold for picks and having a cheap possible FQB for about 3 years.  Do I need to cut and paste your post? Why else than to have money and picks for other positions would you say that. 

You should get together with all the people who say things that make no sense and when they are called out on it say I never said that.