Beningo thinks Jets should tank for Tua

Rhg1084

21 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Whos saying dont listen to offers.  Yes if someone offered me 8 firsts for Darnold I would listen.  But just like 3, its not happening.  

And the post that I was talking about arent listening to trade offers for anyone type of thing.  It was the dump, I repeat, dump Darnold at the end of the year if the W/L records isnt what he wanted, whatever

Well, I hope I have clarified my position in my last post to Cowbell.  I in no way am suggesting trading Darnold.  All I was EVER stating in the 15 posts back-and-forth with him is if a GM offers you a Rams-Fleece-Redskins type deal, you would listen.  If we have the first pick, my thoughts are more you hope the Dolphins don't have the second pick, and then come calling with their first two rounders this year so we could guarantee probably Andre Thomas and another starter. 

But if someone called and said "Listen, I know you might be interested in Tua."  What if we give you multiple picks for Sam Darnold, which would include our first this year, and next, plus other picks?"  Someone makes that call, I would listen.  Not sure I would do it, but I would at least listen to the offer.  End of story.  Moving on. 

But yeah, there have been actually posts stating Joe Douglas should perhaps not get to draft next year, and we should consider replacing him already.  I mean, wow!

• Upvote 1

On 10/1/2019 at 3:51 PM, Charlie Brown said:

Everything said here is Gospel and why I said last year let Mayfield play with the Jets OL and see what happens and the same for Daniel Jones this year.  

The level that Darnold played at last year with the Jets OL was a miracle IMO........

Hard to disagree. 

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

Just to be clear; Gretzky was traded to the Kings after posting 149 points, and then followed that up with seasons of 168, 142, and 163 in LA.    The analogy was to point out best players get traded.  If Gretzky can be, anyone in any sport can be traded.

If you think Sam would only garner a 2nd, you hang up the phone.  Who wouldn't!  You call me crazy about what I suggest, but we're what, fifteen posts in on this example of futility arguing back and forth and you just now drop the bombshell that you think Sam would only garner a 2nd round pick (I disagree, but lets not argue about that now). Would have been nice to know that piece of information as I would have completely agreed with you!

The whole point of this bloody FUTILE argument between us is what I stated right from the start and I will clarify my position so it is completely understood:

1) Drafting Tua while Sam is on the team is idiotic.  This suggestion isn't drafting Kyle Murray when you drafted Josh Rosen and got a 1st for him.

2) If a team calls and offers a Rams-fleecing-the-Redskins type deal, you listen.  I cannot see this scenario happening, but IF it did, why wouldn't you listen as the GM?  Does Sam on the third season of a 4 year rookie deal and the first overall pick sound better than Tua on the start of a rookie deal and multiple first picks? 

I don't know if it would be, but can if we are engaging in these 2020 draft scenarios 4 weeks into the 2019 season because we know its lost, why can't we just talk about the "X' and "O"'s of the possibility rather than just throwing our hands up and saying its idiotic.  The whole idea of these messageboards' is to talk football.  If you don't think option 2 above has any validity to it, I would like to know why from a football standpoint. 

Does that now settle the matter between us?  

As I said in a different post, I was mistaken about Gretzky. My bad. 

There is no point discussing the possibility of #2 because it isn't a sound argument. It isn't reality.  If Sam is so good that he receives an offer like that, that means he's a stud. Why would you trade a stud QB?  Does a Stud Sam Darnold sound better than Tua and multiple firsts? Yes, to any Jets fan it should. What is to say Tua is not going to be the next Josh Rosen. Everyone thought Rosen was the most NFL ready QB in the draft. That is why I think the mere thought of trading Sam for a boat load of picks makes no sense. Now if you are saying Sam shows he sucks and we get a moron GM that offers us a boat load of picks for him, that is something else but who believes that can happen, hence not grounded in reality. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

I’m leaning more and more towards Darnold isn’t going to be a true difference maker

but I can definitely see a Andy Dalton type career

and that’s good enough to build around

unless it was a true cant miss like Lawrence

anyway we need to start building a competitive roster or anyone we throw back there is going to get killed

How can you be leaning towards anything based on this year?

He got Mono.  The team is utter crap around him.   How about we let him play a few games healthy, with his #1 tight end, and maybe a slightly better O Line.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

Well, I hope I have clarified my position in my last post to Cowbell.  I in no way am suggesting trading Darnold.  All I was EVER stating in the 15 posts back-and-forth with him is if a GM offers you a Rams-Fleece-Redskins type deal, you would listen.  If we have the first pick, my thoughts are more you hope the Dolphins don't have the second pick, and then come calling with their first two rounders this year so we could guarantee probably Andre Thomas and another starter. 

But if someone called and said "Listen, I know you might be interested in Tua."  What if we give you multiple picks for Sam Darnold, which would include our first this year, and next, plus other picks?"  Someone makes that call, I would listen.  Not sure I would do it, but I would at least listen to the offer.  End of story.  Moving on. 

But yeah, there have been actually posts stating Joe Douglas should perhaps not get to draft next year, and we should consider replacing him already.  I mean, wow!

I would would take a moment to thing, why would someone give me multiple picks for Darnold and want to leave us a Tua?

Because Darnold is that good

9 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

As I said in a different post, I was mistaken about Gretzky. My bad. 

There is no point discussing the possibility of #2 because it isn't a sound argument. It isn't reality.  If Sam is so good that he receives an offer like that, that means he's a stud. Why would you trade a stud QB?  Does a Stud Sam Darnold sound better than Tua and multiple firsts? Yes, to any Jets fan it should. What is to say Tua is not going to be the next Josh Rosen. Everyone thought Rosen was the most NFL ready QB in the draft. That is why I think the mere thought of trading Sam for a boat load of picks makes no sense. Now if you are saying Sam shows he sucks and we get a moron GM that offers us a boat load of picks for him, that is something else but who believes that can happen, hence not grounded in reality. 

8 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I would would take a moment to thing, why would someone give me multiple picks for Darnold and want to leave us a Tua?

Because Darnold is that good

I think both of you guys have solid points.  I don't think there is ANY chance we trade Sam.  The only difference for me is if I was GM, and someone called and said what would it take to get Sam Darnold off your books, and I jokingly said 4 first rounders, and they replied "Would you consider three,"  I might listen.  But that is about the only scenario. 

That being said, what WOULD be nice is holding the number one pick and the Dolphins holding the number three.  I think we could get both firsts out of them and perhaps more so they could get Tua. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2019 at 12:09 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

Why would this push anyone’s buttons?  Its an idea that he thinks we should follow.  If tua is the next pat mahomes, then its definately worth debating if we start out 0-6 or 0-7 this year.

Why do posters on this board have to call joe imbecile, idiot etc.  Its really strange that poster get irate over one mans suggestion.

Because Joe is an imbecile and an idiot. Meanwhile:

This guy is a sports radio guy. How much faith do I personally put in him or his views. 0! Many players, coaches and even retired pro QBs have gone on record to say that Darnold has skills and talents that you can’t teach QB’s. ThIs kid has barely scratched the surface of his abilities, playing with an O-line that leaks worse than a 90 year old man with prostrate problems. Sam’s the man. He will only get better. Stupid comment to tank when the Jets have probably one of the best  QB draft picks in its history. Put a stout O-line in front of him, get a great #1 WR complemented by Crowder, Herndon and Robbie, with Bell in the backfield and watch him soar. Jets are close to putting a team that will be top contenders in a year or 2.

I was so excited by what I saw Sunday I was trying to think of which QB I’d want today over Darnold to build a franchise around and Mahomes is the only clear cut guy. Wilson and Watson considerations but not definitive. I really think Darnold is the goods and the last GM screwed him drafting defense