What if we get a top 2 pick?

Philc1

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

what should we do?  I would take Trevor and offer him to the highest bidder.  Most likely Broncos

We can plan the what if game but with 5 other teams having yet to win a game and one of those teams being the Dolphins I just don't see the Jets getting the #2 overall pick. Odds are they will end up picking somewhere in the teens.

But yes, you clearly try to trade down and take OT- Andrew Thomas...  

20 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Jets need 5 OL, 2CBs, 2WR, EDGE and perhaps other positions.

The hope for me is that we can fill a desperate need with each of our first 2-3 picks. 

Using a top pick to take another DL is just looney. 

Jeudy has to be the pick ... 

Jeudy*(1st Pick), Cooper, Crowder, Allison

Bell

Trent Williams, Trey Smith*(2nd pick),Leatherwood*(3rd Pick), Alex Lewis, Edoga

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Missed it. Still stupid.

Pretty sure someone just bumped a Mahommes thread from 2017 in which you called him almost undraftable and not worth a 2nd rounder. I mean we all get it wrong sometimes but probably not an ideal week for you to be calling other people stupid when it comes to QB evaluation.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Missed it. Still stupid.

7 minutes ago, CTM said:

Pretty sure someone just bumped a Mahommes thread from 2017 in which you called him almost undraftable and not worth a 2nd rounder. I mean we all get it wrong sometimes but probably not an ideal week for you to be calling other people stupid when it comes to QB evaluation.

@CTM  Nice find. 

1 hour ago, CTM said:

I never said anything about QB evaluation.  I've also manned up and eaten plenty of crow on Mahomes.  Nevermind the fact that what I actually said was that others viewed him that way which, at the time, was true because the bumped thread was before the combine when Mahomes launched himself from a consensus 3rd rounder at the highest, to a first round pick.  Bucky Brooks even says in the OP of that thread that it's hard to envision him as a top tier QB prospect.  You wanna slam me for QB evaluation, at least get the facts right.  Also, if you wanna defend a guy that once called posters here idiots for not wanting to draft JT Barrett with the 6th overall pick in the draft, be my guest.

Anyway, my main point is that it's utterly ridiculous to draft another QB after this season is over, which it is.  Especially when you consider the draft capital put into Sam.  He's played 16 games.  The team around him sucks from top to bottom.  Drafting another QB won't solve our issues.  We need to build around someone.  Drafting Tua, Herbert, or anyone in the first wouldn't change a damn thing.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Philc1 said:

what should we do?  I would take Trevor and offer him to the highest bidder.  Most likely Broncos

Trade down, get a haul of draft picks.

The team needs so much help on the O Line it is mind boggling.   They need multiple picks to help address it.

**** picking a passrusher

**** picking a WR 

**** picking a CB

The first pick has to be an OL. They OL needs time to work together as a unit. The other two positions don’t as much. Let’s protect Darnold and open holes for Bell. If Darnold was healthy and the oline was good this team would have a solid offense. Once that happens then you can worry about adding a passrusher and CB. 

I’m hoping JD goes a different route then the previous GMs. No more defense in the first round. 

OT - Andrew Thomas from GA should be the pick unless they can pull off a blockbuster trade with a team like Minnesota who needs a QB. 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I never said anything about QB evaluation.  I've also manned up and eaten plenty of crow on Mahomes.

Anyway, I said it's utterly ridiculous to draft another QB after this season is over, which it is.  Especially when you consider the draft capital put into Sam.  He's played 16 games.  The team around him sucks from top to bottom.  Drafting another QB won't solve our issues.  We need to build around someone.

Why is it ridiculous if we are drafting top 2 again? The only way we are picking top 2 is if Darnold stinks or doesn't play.  

And how is this not related to QB evaluation?? Te scenario offered here is that we are picking top 2 and there is a QB worthy of being drafted top 2 available. The only way you don't take a QB in that spot is if your are comfortable with your situation after evaluating Darnold.

20 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I never said anything about QB evaluation.  I've also manned up and eaten plenty of crow on Mahomes.  Nevermind the fact that what I actually said was that others viewed him that way which, at the time, was true because the bumped thread was before the combine when Mahomes launched himself from a consensus 3rd rounder at the highest, to a first round pick.

Anyway, my main point is that it's utterly ridiculous to draft another QB after this season is over, which it is.  Especially when you consider the draft capital put into Sam.  He's played 16 games.  The team around him sucks from top to bottom.  Drafting another QB won't solve our issues.  We need to build around someone.  Drafting Tua, Herbert, or anyone in the first wouldn't change a damn thing.

Everybody wants to talk about how important it is to find a franchise quarterback. Nobody wants to act like it. You laugh at the Vikings and then turn around and say we just have to build around someone. You bitch about first round picks blown and then turn around and act like it's this prohibitive opportunity cost.

Outside the Box

Trade Darnold to the Colts for their 1st round pick, then draft Tua Tagovailoa with the Jets top pick.

Draft the best offensive lineman or offensive skill position player with the Colts 1st round pick.

Trade Jamal Adams for a 2nd round pick.

Trade Leonard Williams for a 3rd round pick.

Stock the trenches (OT, G, C, Edge) with some of those extra picks.

• Thumb Down 3

22 minutes ago, CTM said:

Why is it ridiculous if we are drafting top 2 again? The only way we are picking top 2 is if Darnold stinks or doesn't play.  

And how is this not related to QB evaluation?? Te scenario offered here is that we are picking top 2 and there is a QB worthy of being drafted top 2 available. The only way you don't take a QB in that spot is if your are comfortable with your situation after evaluating Darnold.

There are plenty of reasons why.  Darnold can play well, but is limited in what he can do by the skill position players, or the OL getting destroyed.  The lack of corners can come back and bite the defense in the ass, and we can lose a close shootout, ala the Houston and Green Bay game, which were just last season.  This is an awful team, player-wise.  There are a million other things that can play into our record at the of the year.

Because of what I just said above.  Just because a QB is there, doesn't mean you take him.  When you have holes like we do, its not going to matter who is behind center.  Our OL is ranked at the bottom of the league.  Our skill position players suck, minus Bell.  Why in the world would you put a rookie into that situation and expect any different?  The Cardinals look no different than they did last year with Rosen.  If we have a top 2 pick, trade it for a haul, or go OT/WR.

14 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Outside the Box

Trade Darnold to the Colts for their 1st round pick, then draft Tua Tagovailoa with the Jets top pick.

Draft the best offensive lineman or offensive skill position player with the Colts 1st round pick.

Trade Jamal Adams for a 2nd round pick.

Trade Leonard Williams for a 3rd round pick.

Stock the trenches (OT, G, C, Edge) with some of those extra picks.

Yes let’s downgrade the QB in exchange to pick later in the 1st round. ******* genius!

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

There are plenty of reasons why.  Darnold can play well, but is limited in what he can do by the skill position players, or the OL getting destroyed.  The lack of corners can come back and bite the defense in the ass, and we can lose a close shootout, ala the Houston and Green Bay game, which were just last season.  This is an awful team, player-wise.  There are a million other things that can play into our record at the of the year.

Because of what I just said above.  Just because a QB is there, doesn't mean you take him.  When you have holes like we do, its not going to matter who is behind center.  Our OL is ranked at the bottom of the league.  Our skill position players suck, minus Bell.  Why in the world would you put a rookie into that situation and expect any different?  The Cardinals look no different than they did last year with Rosen.  If we have a top 2 pick, trade it for a haul, or go OT/WR.

So are you saying a healthy FQB on this team and it's still a 2-14 or 3-13 team?

I think that's a load of crusher dung

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Dinamite said:

The Jets have a slew of "easy" games coming up after week 8 or so.   Even if they go 0 and 7 or 0 and 8 to start, they play the dolphins twice, Bengals and Redskins for starters.   Likely that Jets win enough games to land outside of top 5 pick.

I agree unless we get Darnold literally killed, which I wouldn't put past this franchise.

20 minutes ago, CTM said:

So are you saying a healthy FQB on this team and it's still a 2-14 or 3-13 team?

I think that's a load of crusher dung

Given how barren this roster is and how f*cky the NFL can be, yeah it's entirely possible.  Like I said, the Cardinals have, what they believe to be a FQB in Kyler Murray, yet they're winless and look just like they did last year. The Broncos, in 2 of their 4 losses, held the lead with 30 seconds left on the clock.  Do you blame Flacco for their record, despite the fact that hes played well for most of the season?

I've seen plenty of teams get a top pick that had a QB in place.  The Matt Ryan led Falcons went 4-12 in 2013 giving them a top 10 pick (6th overall).  Guess what their big hole was?  OL.  Right now, they're 1-3 because their defense can't stop a nosebleed and their OL is, once again, in shambles.

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

**** picking a passrusher

**** picking a WR 

**** picking a CB

The first pick has to be an OL. They OL needs time to work together as a unit. The other two positions don’t as much. Let’s protect Darnold and open holes for Bell. If Darnold was healthy and the oline was good this team would have a solid offense. Once that happens then you can worry about adding a passrusher and CB. 

I’m hoping JD goes a different route then the previous GMs. No more defense in the first round. 

OT - Andrew Thomas from GA should be the pick unless they can pull off a blockbuster trade with a team like Minnesota who needs a QB. 

The trade would have to be with a team in the top 10 - Vikings won't be there. Ideally you move a couple spots back for a kings ransom. I just don't believe we'll be picking in the top 5.

17 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Given how barren this roster is and how f*cky the NFL can be, yeah it's entirely possible.  The Broncos, in 2 of their 4 losses, held the lead with 30 seconds left on the clock.  Do you blame Flacco for their record, despite the fact that hes played well for most of the season?

I've seen plenty of teams get a top pick that had a QB in place.  The Matt Ryan led Falcons went 4-12 in 2013 giving them a top 10 pick (6th overall).  Guess what their big hole was?  OL.  Right now, they're 1-3 because their defense can't stop a nosebleed and their OL is, once again, in shambles.

Big hole was a historically bad Defense riddled with injuries and Matt Ryan, who without Kyle Shanahan has looked horrendous

2 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Big hole was a historically bad Defense riddled with injuries and Matt Ryan, who without Kyle Shanahan has looked horrendous

Ryan looked phenomenal last year.  Whether you like him or not, most people view Ryan as a FQB.  My point is that they can't overcome everything.

4 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

The trade would have to be with a team in the top 10 - Vikings won't be there. Ideally you move a couple spots back for a kings ransom. I just don't believe we'll be picking in the top 5.

It’s a pipe dream to think Minnesota would trade for a QB anyway. It depends on Darnold but even with him this team is bad. 

I’d just like to see them actually trade back one year and get extra picks. 

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Ryan looked phenomenal last year.  Whether you like him or not, most people view Ryan as a FQB.  My point is that they can't overcome everything.

Haha, Phenomenal??? Last year..?? umm no... He was always playing from behind and running big stats against prevent defense because their defense couldn't stop anything

4 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

He has the second most yards and over 70% completions. His TD and INT ratio is awful but a handful of those picks were on the receivers. 

Easy to do when they aren't pressing him and have three of the best WRs in the league that do a lot of the work after the catch.

If he is so good Why are they worse than last year with a better healthy defense but all the same offensive weapons sans Coleman