What if we get a top 2 pick?

Philc1

29 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Haha, Phenomenal??? Last year..?? umm no... He was always playing from behind and running big stats against prevent defense because their defense couldn't stop anything

Easy to do when they aren't pressing him and have three of the best WRs in the league that do a lot of the work after the catch.

If he is so good Why are they worse than last year with a better healthy defense but all the same offensive weapons sans Coleman

Last year had almost 5000 yards, 70% comp and 35/7 TD/INT that’s excellent. 

I would say turnovers and zero rushing attack. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Given how barren this roster is and how f*cky the NFL can be, yeah it's entirely possible.  Like I said, the Cardinals have, what they believe to be a FQB in Kyler Murray, yet they're winless and look just like they did last year. The Broncos, in 2 of their 4 losses, held the lead with 30 seconds left on the clock.  Do you blame Flacco for their record, despite the fact that hes played well for most of the season?

I've seen plenty of teams get a top pick that had a QB in place.  The Matt Ryan led Falcons went 4-12 in 2013 giving them a top 10 pick (6th overall).  Guess what their big hole was?  OL.  Right now, they're 1-3 because their defense can't stop a nosebleed and their OL is, once again, in shambles.

Who cares what the Cardinals think they have, if they go 2-14 the next 2 seasons with a healthy Murray they also should be thinking hard about a QB early.

Also don't care about what Ryan did 1 year. I hope Darnold ends up better than Ryan and this scenario would be Darnold losing lots of games in 2 out of 2 seasons we've seen him. Ryan was 13-3 the year prior to his 4 win year and 2 years before that as well

We hope Darnold become a  Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Rothlisberger, Mahommes type - when is the last time a team had a healthy QB on that level and picked top 2. 

Never

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, CTM said:

Who cares what the Cardinals think they have, if they go 2-14 the next 2 seasons with a healthy Murray they also should be thinking hard about a QB early.

Also don't care about what Ryan did 1 year. I hope Darnold ends up better than Ryan and this scenario would be Darnold losing lots of games in 2 out of 2 seasons we've seen him. Ryan was 13-3 the year prior to his 4 win year and 2 years before that as well

We hope Darnold become a  Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Rothlisberger, Mahommes type - when is the last time a team had a healthy QB on that level and picked top 2. 

Never

And guess what?  The Cardinals won't. And, no, they, or any team for that matter, shouldn't, no matter what impatient fans say.

That's what this boils down to.  You have people who logically see that no matter who is behind center right now, the outcomes of games wouldn't have changed.  Our whole team sucks.  Tua or Herbert won't change that.  Especially if they are what scouts think they are, and that's lesser prospects than Darnold.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, CTM said:

Never

When was the last time an NFL QB missed Games because of mono? 

38 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Last year had almost 5000 yards, 70% comp and 35/7 TD/INT that’s excellent. 

I would say turnovers and zero rushing attack. 

Prettyyyyyyyyyy much this.

If you don't think these numbers are phenomenal, you need your eyes and brain checked.

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

And guess what?  The Cardinals won't. And, no, they, or any team for that matter, shouldn't, no matter what impatient fans say.

That's what this boils down to.  You have people who logically see that no matter who is behind center right now, the outcomes of games wouldn't have changed.  Our whole team sucks.  Tua or Herbert won't change that.  Especially if they are what scouts think they are, and that's lesser prospects than Darnold.

The cardinals won't what?

I don't even know what to say about the bolded. Either you think way too highly of Darnold given his resume or think far too little of the importance of QB to an offense, but either way I'm certain logic isn't at work 

11 minutes ago, CTM said:

The cardinals won't what?

I don't even know what to say about the bolded. Either you think way too highly of Darnold given his resume or think far too little of the importance of QB to an offense, but either way I'm certain logic isn't at work 

Take another QB two years from now.

I think this is where I just say that I agree to disagree.  Yeah, I still love Sam.  No I don't think Tua and Herbert are better prospects, and the team won't be taking a QB anyway so all this arguing over who we like don't like doesn't matter.

Just now, Mogglez said:

Take another QB two years from now.

I think this is where I just say that I agree to disagree.  The team won't be taking a QB anyway so all this arguing over who we like don't like doesn't matter.

Nobody is arguing who we like or don't like. The premise of the thread is that

1) The jets stink up the field this year and end up drafting #1 or #2.

2) That a QB worthy of that draft slot is there to be drafted.

Understand, if Darnold plays well from here on out I firmly believe we won't be drafting top 2 and this entire scenario won't evolve. However if it does that to me means Darnold either missed extended time or stunk.

And if that happens, Douglas/Gase who have 0 attachement to Darnold will strongly consider taking the QB.  The only reason you don't do it is if someone offers you a ridiculous trade down. 

And the Cardinals just took a QB at #1 after watching the guy they took at #10 the year before stink. So there's recent history

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, CTM said:

Why is it ridiculous if we are drafting top 2 again? The only way we are picking top 2 is if Darnold stinks or doesn't play.  

And how is this not related to QB evaluation?? Te scenario offered here is that we are picking top 2 and there is a QB worthy of being drafted top 2 available. The only way you don't take a QB in that spot is if your are comfortable with your situation after evaluating Darnold.

Pretty much. A lot can happen from now till April. This regime didnt draft Darnold either. If Sam plays the rest of the season and plays well- then great, crisis averted. If he doesnt, then everything should be on the table. The Jets right now are an irrelevant franchise and if it continues I'm sure there will be a push to make a splash. Also the wrench of Woody likely coming back in 2020.

• Upvote 2

The talent level on the Jets is not as horrible as some of you keep saying. Before the season started almost everyone had this team winning 6 games minimum. The optimists were talking between 9 and 11 wins. Why?

Faith that our FQB was going to make a big step forward in year 2 under the tutelage of our new HC/OC guru, and improved skill players around him such as Crowder and Bell.

Faith that our defense would improve under Greg Williams, bolstered by the additions of players like QW and Mosely.

We all knew where the weak spots were. CB (which actually hasn't been horrible) and the OL, which has been. How much of the OL struggling is on the players though, and how much is on the CS? They chose to sign Kalil, and kept him on the field when hw struggled. They haven't figured out why, or found a way to prevent defenders getting free runs into the backfield. Gase is the one who seemed to give up on the offense in games 2 and 3, giving the offense virtually no chance to make a play down the field with his play calling.

The point of all this is, lets not make this out to be Darnold is returning to a team with expansion level talent. He's not. He'll have Herndon back next week to go along with Bell, Crowder, Montgomery and RA. Other young QBs like Daniel Jones, Gardiner Minshew, the Carolina kid (whoever the hell he is), and Allen are all winning with less, players like Rosen and Murray would love to have that level of talent around them.

Darnold is back. He's our FQB? The guy everyone here says has elite skills? Time to show them. NO EXCUSES. Like @SAR I says, we're one game off the pace we thought we'd be. 0-3 instead of 1-2. The push to the playoffs starts now. We have to hope 9-7 is good enough to get in. Because that's what this team should be come seasons end with a healthy young FQB and the weapons he has.

1 hour ago, nico002 said:

Yes let’s downgrade the QB in exchange to pick later in the 1st round. ******* genius!

Let me preface my reply to you by saying I'm hopeful Darnold turns into a great quarterback for the Jets and he can turn this Jets season around. How I'd love for Sam to turn into a stud like Patrick Mahomes...With all of that said, if the Jets have the top pick in the draft next year it's probably a good indicator Sam Darnold didn't play well. It's not out of the realm of possibility that Joe Douglas could fire Gase after a season the Jets finish with the first pick in the 2020 Draft. Maybe Douglas doesn't want to ride with Mac's quarterback any longer, and wants to draft a left handed version of Russell Wilson. The real question is, what draft pick(s) would a team give up for Sam Darnold? I guess it depends on what kind of season he has while we suck our way to the first pick in the draft. 

• Thumb Down 1

You hope our new GM isn't a retard and can negotiate a trade down.
Pretty sure there was no trade partner last year. Mac sucks but real life is not Madden where these crazy trade down situations where your team wins big always exist. Furthermore there is no reason to use the r word someone might find it offensive.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

17 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

The talent level on the Jets is not as horrible as some of you keep saying. Before the season started almost everyone had this team winning 6 games minimum. The optimists were talking between 9 and 11 wins. Why?

Faith that our FQB was going to make a big step forward in year 2 under the tutelage of our new HC/OC guru, and improved skill players around him such as Crowder and Bell.

Faith that our defense would improve under Greg Williams, bolstered by the additions of players like QW and Mosely.

We all knew where the weak spots were. CB (which actually hasn't been horrible) and the OL, which has been. How much of the OL struggling is on the players though, and how much is on the CS? They chose to sign Kalil, and kept him on the field when hw struggled. They haven't figured out why, or found a way to prevent defenders getting free runs into the backfield. Gase is the one who seemed to give up on the offense in games 2 and 3, giving the offense virtually no chance to make a play down the field with his play calling.

The point of all this is, lets not make this out to be Darnold is returning to a team with expansion level talent. He's not. He'll have Herndon back next week to go along with Bell, Crowder, Montgomery and RA. Other young QBs like Daniel Jones, Gardiner Minshew, the Carolina kid (whoever the hell he is), and Allen are all winning with less, players like Rosen and Murray would love to have that level of talent around them.

Darnold is back. He's our FQB? The guy everyone here says has elite skills? Time to show them. NO EXCUSES. Like @SAR I says, we're one game off the pace we thought we'd be. 0-3 instead of 1-2. The push to the playoffs starts now. We have to hope 9-7 is good enough to get in. Because that's what this team should be come seasons end with a healthy young FQB and the weapons he has.

Disagree. The offensive line was arguably going to be a lot better with the new coordinator and addition if two former all pros, Osemele looking terrific in preseason. 

They've been atrocious. Got Simien injured and Sam got sacked four or five times opening day (thank goodness that he wasn't injured in hindsight as his spleen was probably already enlarged). 

I think Sam is returning to decent skill group support (outside of te where there is a huge step down from Herndon), but the offensive line if far worse than anticipated and I think has a material impact on my expectations.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Let me preface my reply to you by saying I'm hopeful Darnold turns into a great quarterback for the Jets and he can turn this Jets season around. How I'd love for Sam to turn into a stud like Patrick Mahomes...With all of that said, if the Jets have the top pick in the draft next year it's probably a good indicator Sam Darnold didn't play well. It's not out of the realm of possibility that Joe Douglas could fire Gase after a season the Jets finish with the first pick in the 2020 Draft. Maybe Douglas doesn't want to ride with Mac's quarterback any longer, and wants to draft a left handed version of Russell Wilson. The real question is, what draft pick(s) would a team give up for Sam Darnold? I guess it depends on what kind of season he has while we suck our way to the first pick in the draft. 

I have one problem with your post, my friend. If the Jets fall flat this year, lets say win 5 or less games, I don't think Douglas fires Gase after one year. No matter how bad the offense looks.

You don't fire a first year HC who didn't get to pick his QB. Gase showed this offseason with Macc he's ruthless behind the scenes. If Gase feels like it may come down to Darnold or him, he won't hesitate to throw Darnold to the wolves and convince his friend Douglas he needs to move on from Sam.

Oh and btw, one more. Don't try to placate a delusinal homer with a throwaway line like "love to see Darnold turn into a stud like Mahomes". You're way too smart to believe that will ever happen. Mahomes is on a completely different level then Darnold will ever be.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

Disagree. The offensive line was arguably going to be a lot better with the new coordinator and addition if two former all pros, Osemele looking terrific in preseason. 

They've been atrocious. Got Simien injured and Sam got sacked four or five times opening day (thank goodness that he wasn't injured in hindsight as his spleen was probably already enlarged). 

I think Sam is returning to decent skill group support (outside of te where there is a huge step down from Herndon), but the offensive line if far worse than anticipated and I think has a material impact on my expectations.

That's on Gase and the father in law OL coach. The OL blocking schemes were obviously not working, and the OL as a unit wasn't gelling. They could have changed the scheme, or inserted other players such as Harrison or Edoga. They didn't. That's on them.

Sam looked bad on opening day, but it wasn't all his fault. That dink and dunk offense was never going to get it done. The 16-0 lead was fools gold, thanks to turnovers and great defensive play. By the end of the game, Darnold and the offense were hopeless. They looked inept when they got the ball with 3 minutes to go and TO's available needing only a FG to win.

You guys have to stop with the "Sam was lucky to get out alive" stuff. Get the ball out quicker. Change up the play calls, or blocking assignments at the line. Do something. Don't compare the way the offenses look under Darnold and Falk. Falk is one step away from selling Buicks. Darnold is supposedly elite.

I'm tired of the excuses. We're watching young, supposedly inferior talented backup QBs come in and win games every week. We gave up a first and 3 seconds to move up and get Darnold. That's a big reason why we haven't been able to replenish this roster, yet no one talks about that.

NO MORE EXCUSES. The FQB is back. Time to start winning games.

10 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

That's on Gase and the father in law OL coach. The OL blocking schemes were obviously not working, and the OL as a unit wasn't gelling. They could have changed the scheme, or inserted other players such as Harrison or Edoga. They didn't. That's on them.

Sam looked bad on opening day, but it wasn't all his fault. That dink and dunk offense was never going to get it done. The 16-0 lead was fools gold, thanks to turnovers and great defensive play. By the end of the game, Darnold and the offense were hopeless. They looked inept when they got the ball with 3 minutes to go and TO's available needing only a FG to win.

You guys have to stop with the "Sam was lucky to get out alive" stuff. Get the ball out quicker. Change up the play calls od blocking assignments at the line. Do something.

I'm tired of the excuses. We're watching young, supposedly inferior talented backup QBs come in and win games every week. We gave up a first and 3 seconds to move up and get Darnold. That's a big reason why we haven't been able to replenish this roster, yet no one talks about that.

NO MORE EXCUSES. The FQB is back. Time to start winning games.

Did you see how the team performed without Darnold in there? If you expect wins with Sam back you have to consider him an MVP candidate right? Because without him we are literally worse than the Dolphins who are the worst team in NFL history through 4 games.

50 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Preach it, 14IG!

SAR I

7 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Draft the best QB on the board and trade Sam Darnold. 

Hate like hell to say this but tired of losing. 

7 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Dumbest suggestion I've seen all week.

That's saying something.

6 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

It's an opinion nothing more this is men discussing football and a lot of "what if" scenarios. 

Sorry to upset you like this and get you angry. 

Is Sam Darnold a franchise QB in your opinion and what has he done to help you render that decision. 

We need to keep drafting QB's until we find the right one in my opinion. 

I too hope Sam Darnold is the one. 

CTM said the same thing you ignored. FYI 

6 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Missed it. Still stupid.

Opinions that's all mean nothing. 

@Jet Nut

@Mogglez

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

@Jet Nut

So me saying I think an idea is a dumb idea got you so mad you bumped an old thread to tell me that my post, in line with everyone else's in the thread, was the dumbest in this forums history, and getting angry when I respond in kind.

And then you say you don't take it seriously.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Everybody wants to talk about how important it is to find a franchise quarterback. Nobody wants to act like it. You laugh at the Vikings and then turn around and say we just have to build around someone. You bitch about first round picks blown and then turn around and act like it's this prohibitive opportunity cost.

I can't find it now, but a while back, someone propounded a theory of roster-building in which you get all these talented young pieces together, then you get the QB as a cherry on top, and @#27TheDominator said something like "The QB isn't the cherry. The QB is the bowl." To really torture the metaphor, it does seem like there are a lot of Jets fans who look down to find their laps covered in ice cream and then shrug and say "yeah, but what am I gonna do, get another bowl?"

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Did you see how the team performed without Darnold in there? If you expect wins with Sam back you have to consider him an MVP candidate right? Because without him we are literally worse than the Dolphins who are the worst team in NFL history through 4 games.

Damn straight Nico. I'm on the Sam for MVP train.

The offense looked horrible under Falk, but that's not his or Gase's fault. Falk should be selling cars, not taking snaps under center in the NFL. Put an elite FQB  like Sammy D under C, he'll adjust the calls and blocking assignments at the line, and this offense will start humming.

Sammy's back, he has plenty of weapons, and Herndon will be back next week. Gase is ready to open up his playbook. The sky is the limit, my man. The playoff push begins Sunday, and Sammy is ready to show Mahomes what a FQB really looks like!!!

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

You guys have to stop with the "Sam was lucky to get out alive" stuff. Get the ball out quicker. 

He unknowingly played an NFL game with mononucleosis and received five sacks. 

No one is going to stop saying he was lucky not to get injured any time soon. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nico002 said:

Falk doesnt belong on an NFL team. I appreciate your attempt to get us to grade Darnold on a curve, but not happenning.

If Darnold is what you claim him to be we're going to look like a much better team going forward. 

It is entirely reasonable to expect significantly better football with Darnold vs Falk.

3 hours ago, dbatesman said:

I can't find it now, but a while back, someone propounded a theory of roster-building in which you get all these talented young pieces together, then you get the QB as a cherry on top, and @#27TheDominator said something like "The QB isn't the cherry. The QB is the bowl." To really torture the metaphor, it does seem like there are a lot of Jets fans who look down to find their laps covered in ice cream and then shrug and say "yeah, but what am I gonna do, get another bowl?"

This is what happens when you have a fanbase that is collectively too stupid to wrap its brain around the fact that football games are won and lost for actual reasons.

14 hours ago, Lith said:

We say the same thing every year.  Trade back!!!  

And every year (aside from the year we traded up) we end up with the stud who fell to us becuase he plays a low impact position.  this time, though, at least there is reason to hope things may be different.

Although I still think there is a few wins on the back half of the schedule that will prevent us from picking in the top 2.  Top 10, yes, but not the top 2.

Maybe no one bothered to trade up with the Jets because Macctard was so predictable no one feared he would take the guy they had on the board.

6 hours ago, CTM said:

Falk doesnt belong on an NFL team. I appreciate your attempt to get us to grade Darnold on a curve, but not happenning.

If Darnold is what you claim him to be we're going to look like a much better team going forward. 

It is entirely reasonable to expect significantly better football with Darnold vs Falk.

Ok so you’re good with Gase right? We shouldn’t expect him to scheme scrub QBs into half decent performers. Without his QB, the offense is inept and that’s OK. Just checking.

40 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Ok so you’re good with Gase right? We shouldn’t expect him to scheme scrub QBs into half decent performers. Without his QB, the offense is inept and that’s OK. Just checking.

Gase doesnt matter if Darnold is what you claim him to be

Is your confidence wavering ? You are really pulling out lots of excuses, begginning to look like Penningtology 

10 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Did I say that?  It seems hokey and vaguely familiar.  Must have been.

7 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

This is what happens when you have a fanbase that is collectively too stupid to wrap its brain around the fact that football games are won and lost for actual reasons.

Reasons? Isn't the script written by the same guys that filmed the moon landing and built the prop town for Blazing Saddles?

• Upvote 1