Jump to content

Some crazy stats and facts out of the NFL's first 4 weeks of 2019


Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Mahomes has had the most prolific start to a QB career since Marino. I still think Marino's start was more impressive when you consider the era's. Marino was the first QB to throw for 5000 yards in 1984 and it didn't happen again for almost 25 years in 2008. He also broke the single season TD pass record that year. When Marino did it they were still playing actual football where you could still destroy QB's and WR's.

Mahomes still could top what Marino did in his first two season but it would take a monster season stat wise - probably over 6000 yards passing with 60+ TDs.

Marino was amazing in that he SHATTERED existing records.   No one had ever thrown for 40 TDs in a year, he threw for 48.   Like you said, it was over 20 years and many rule changes before anyone hit his yardage mark.

I hate Marino for being a Fish, but that was an amazing year, that can not be over looked.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

- For the second time in league history a starting QB missed a game due to Mononucleosis. (Thanks @slimjasi )

 

Does that mean Sam missed two games so he counts as the first and second time, or has there been two different quarterbacks who have missed a start due to Mono?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, talonmm said:

Does that mean Sam missed two games so he counts as the first and second time, or has there been two different quarterbacks who have missed a start due to Mono?

 

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Chris Chandler missed the last month of the 1995 season because of Mono

arrow point here GIF by First Things First

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been a Jets fan since 1980 and what Marino did in 1984 was unprecedented considering the rules of the game. To this day (as much as I hate Miami ) I still feel he was the most talented QB I’ve ever seen . Had a cannon of an arm and such a quick release. I always feared playing Marino more so than any other QB. I wonder the stats he would’ve put up In today’s game.

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Mahomes has had the most prolific start to a QB career since Marino. I still think Marino's start was more impressive when you consider the era's. Marino was the first QB to throw for 5000 yards in 1984 and it didn't happen again for almost 25 years in 2008. He also broke the single season TD pass record that year. When Marino did it they were still playing actual football where you could still destroy QB's and WR's.

Mahomes still could top what Marino did in his first two season but it would take a monster season stat wise - probably over 6000 yards passing with 60+ TDs.

I still think Marino is the best all time. He would wipe his ass with Brady with the same protection afforded these guys now.  Plus the calls and rules skewed toward offense. Marino never had just chuck if deep for a pass interference as half his offense. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jetsfan1222 said:

I’ve been a Jets fan since 1980 and what Marino did in 1984 was unprecedented considering the rules of the game. To this day (as much as I hate Miami ) I still feel he was the most talented QB I’ve ever seen . Had a cannon of an arm and such a quick release. I always feared playing Marino more so than any other QB. I wonder the stats he would’ve put up In today’s game.

The saddest and most amazing thing is that the two guys we're discussing, Marino and Mahomes, were both there for the taking by the Jets in the Draft and they passed on both.  Even worse, they were passed on during years in which QB was a clear need for the team.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...