2020 cap situation

Www.overthecap.com has us at about middle of the pack as far as cap space but we have guys like Winters and Osmele who can come off with no dead money and will save some space (with a lot of dead money) by dumping Tru

As fat as free agents Yannick Ngakoue is a pass rusher from the Jaguars who likely won’t be resigned as the Jags cap space is last in the league and they drafted his replacement in Josh Allen.  Ngakoue isn’t great vs the run but would be an idea rush LB for us  

I’d also pray we just outbid everyone for Brandon Sherff to take over RG. That fills a hole and he is a strong player. 

After that Joe D is gonna need to hit on some draft picks to fill CB and round our the Oline and WR

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Www.overthecap.com has us at about middle of the pack as far as cap space but we have guys like Winters and Osmele who can come off with no dead money and will save some space (with a lot of dead money) by dumping Tru

As fat as free agents Yannick Ngakoue is a pass rusher from the Jaguars who likely won’t be resigned as the Jags cap space is last in the league and they drafted his replacement in Josh Allen.  Ngakoue isn’t great vs the run but would be an idea rush LB for us  

I’d also pray we just outbid everyone for Brandon Sherff to take over RG. That fills a hole and he is a strong player. 

After that Joe D is gonna need to hit on some draft picks to fill CB and round our the Oline and WR

But I think the Cap also includes $0 for Leo Williams next year as he won't be under contract.

Just now, jetscrazey said:

The cap space isn’t the issue as much as the fact that there simply isn’t enough talent available to fill all the holes in this Swiss cheese roster. 

It's amazing that a couple years ago there was a thought the rebuild would take 2 years.  Fast forward and now it looks like we're 3 years away.

There's really only one option....trading assets that will expire in the next two years (that likely includes Jamal Adams) and trying to accumulate something like 9 or 10 draft picks per season over the next two years.  Jamal Adams will be playing in his option year (2021) and commanding big $$$ just as the Jets may be solidifying their foundation.  I'm thinking the Jets start sniffing for offers as soon as this coming Draft (he'd be much more valuable with 2 years left under contract than 1).

14 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

We have 33 players under contract right now for 2020. And a few of those will be cut. We’re in a really bad spot. Imagine that.

If I had to guess I'd say the Jets draft at least 9 players in the 2020 Draft.  Could even be closer to 11.

Compensatory pick for Leo Williams?  Trading back from early in Round 1 to still get a starting caliber OT or WR in the 10-20 range, while grabbing a 2nd and 4th?  I want to see the Jets draft 5 players from Rounds 2 thru 4.

14 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

If I had to guess I'd say the Jets draft at least 9 players in the 2020 Draft.  Could even be closer to 11.

Compensatory pick for Leo Williams?  Trading back from early in Round 1 to still get a starting caliber OT or WR in the 10-20 range, while grabbing a 2nd and 4th?  I want to see the Jets draft 5 players from Rounds 2 thru 4.

This is the only answer.  

A trade now for a 2,3 or 4 pick would not be a bad thing.  

To extent a team would trade for a player and take real cap space (like Leo) which could be used next year, that would also be good.  

55 minutes ago, Jet hustle said:

How are we looking going into next year...

While were on topic, who are the noteable free agents...?  

Is there anything more Same Old Jets than threads on the 2020 Cap, 2020 Free Agents, and "What If we Get the 2nd Overall Pick" before we've even played out fourth game of the 2019 season?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

We’ll have plenty to spend and many holes to fill with trumaine, avery, leo, winters, khalil, beachum, enunwa getting cut or no offered a new contract.

We should be targeting:

- Yannick Ngakoue

- Rodney Hudson

- Brandon Scherff

- Byron Jones

Hudson just signed a 3/33 contract extension in August. Now highest paid center I believe.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jet hustle said:

How are we looking going into next year...

While were on topic, who are the noteable free agents...?  

Actually, the Jets can be in rather good shape regarding the 2020 cap – nearly $100 in cap....taking this into consideration (this according to overthecap.com and there could be contractual terms that might interfere with this analysis):

Release Trumaine Johnson as a post June 1 cut: Cap savings $11M (Dead money of $4M for three years - tolerable)

Do not resign Kelechi Osemele: Cap savings 11.7M (No dead money)

Do not resign Kelvin Beachum: Cap savings $8M (Dead money $1.5M)

Do not resign Ryan Kalil: Cap savings $5.4M (Dead money $3M)

Do not resign Brian Winters: Cap savings $6M (No dead money)

Adding to the the current $54.3M in cap space then with these players removed totals to $96.4M in cap space.

Leaves a lot of holes to be filled...but we can have the funding to to it along with a ***decent*** draft. 

NOTE: I'm not trying to be cold hearted about this....these players have families and futures they want as badly as we do....

• Sympathy 1

The Browns were rumored to be shopping JC Tretter in the Spring. So he likely will hit free agency as well. The Redskins are negotiating with Scherff so he may be resigned. They’re off $2 mil per year last I read.

My dream would be to go all in on Scherff and Tretter. Anything else is a bonus.

Our cap space looks descent but I’d still cut guys. Osemele, Trumaine, Winters, Enunwa, Daryl Roberts and Avery Williamson should be cut or traded.

I wouldn’t bring back Robby and Leo. We should be shopping those guys now. 

I would resign some of our guys like  McLendon, Hewitt, Jenkins, to name a few. 

38 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

It's amazing that a couple years ago there was a thought the rebuild would take 2 years.  Fast forward and now it looks like we're 3 years away.

There's really only one option....trading assets that will expire in the next two years (that likely includes Jamal Adams) and trying to accumulate something like 9 or 10 draft picks per season over the next two years.  Jamal Adams will be playing in his option year (2021) and commanding big $$$ just as the Jets may be solidifying their foundation.  I'm thinking the Jets start sniffing for offers as soon as this coming Draft (he'd be much more valuable with 2 years left under contract than 1).

We aren’t trading Jamal Adams. The point of the draft is to find good football players and he is one. The fact that it’s at a position of lesser value then a pass rusher or OT isn’t nearly as relevant as the fact that he is a very good player. 

Do people who want to trade him realize we could make a deal, get a first round pick and have that pick become Ereck Flowers?  Busts still happen all the time. Why trade a player who has proven to be a good player for the chance to find another good player?

The cap also is not a as big a factor as it was before the rookie scale. Any team with good players can find ways to keep their team together. Is Dallas having a hard time?   Once Sam (hopefully) needs a new deal, LeVeon will be coming off freeing up money. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

7 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

The Browns were rumored to be shopping JC Tretter. So he likely will hit free agency as well. The Redskins are negotiating with Scherff so he may be resigned. They’re off $2 mil per year last I read.

My dream would be to go all in on Scherff and Tretter. Anything else is a bonus.

Our cap space looks descent but I’d still cut guys. Osemele, Trumaine, Winters, Enunwa, Daryl Roberts and Avery Williamson should be cut or traded.

Your team is worse than this one.  They suck.  Getting rid of starters isn't going to help.  I get shopping guys on the end of their deals, but that should have been done before the draft.  We aren't getting sh*t back now.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Your team is worse than this one.  They suck.  Getting rid of starters isn't going to help.  I get shopping guys on the end of their deals, but that should have been done before the draft.  We aren't getting sh*t back now.

Nobody I listed is contributing anything meaningful to this team. Signing Robby or Leo to a contract just perpetuates the bad contracts we’ve been giving out.

Robby is a good player. Just not on this team. Gase’s offense doesn’t feature deep threats. And Darnold’s bread and butter is the short to intermediate space. 

4 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Nobody I listed is contributing anything meaningful to this team. Signing Robby or Leo to a contract just perpetuates the bad contracts we’ve been giving out.

Robby is a good player. Just not on this team. Gase’s offense doesn’t feature deep threats. And Darnold’s bread and butter is the short to intermediate space. 

Nobody is contributing anything meaningful? You listed 8 starters.  

16 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Nobody is contributing anything meaningful? You listed 8 starters.  

So of those 8, who would you like to keep?

Here’s my take. Williamson and Enunwa are hurt; so, getting rid of them won’t make the team worse. Having Enunwa gives us a false sense of security at WR. We have two young guys that can step in just fine for Williamson. Save the money. 

Tru already got benched. 

The entire OL has been a turnstile and Osemele and Winters haven’t helped. Maybe Osemele turns it around. Maybe. The OL needs to be rebuilt completely. Add a couple in FA and another 2 in the draft plus Edoga.

I mentioned my thoughts on Leo and Robby earlier. 

1 hour ago, GoingToMyGraveGreen said:

Actually, the Jets can be in rather good shape regarding the 2020 cap – nearly $100 in cap....taking this into consideration (this according to overthecap.com and there could be contractual terms that might interfere with this analysis):

Release Trumaine Johnson as a post June 1 cut: Cap savings $11M (Dead money of $4M for three years - tolerable)

Do not resign Kelechi Osemele: Cap savings 11.7M (No dead money)

Do not resign Kelvin Beachum: Cap savings $8M (Dead money $1.5M)

Do not resign Ryan Kalil: Cap savings $5.4M (Dead money $3M)

Do not resign Brian Winters: Cap savings $6M (No dead money)

Adding to the the current $54.3M in cap space then with these players removed totals to $96.4M in cap space.

Leaves a lot of holes to be filled...but we can have the funding to to it along with a ***decent*** draft. 

NOTE: I'm not trying to be cold hearted about this....these players have families and futures they want as badly as we do....

Beachum and Kalil are both free agents after this season.  There is no cap savings for them.  Numbers above are their 2019 salary/dead $$.  Also, unless CBA is extended prior to start of league year, there will be no post June 1 designation for 2020.  Cutting Tru will onlly save $3MM next season.  WIth cutting Osemele, Winters and Johnson, we can get to mid $70s in cap space, not bad, but not $97MM.

But part of the issue is how many guys we will need to sign or re-sign.  Only WRs under contract for next season are Berrios, Bellamy, Enunwas and Crowdeer.  A sot receiver, two primary STers. and a guy who may never play again due to injury.  We need at least two if not three new WRs.

If we cut both Osemele and Winters to add space, only OLs under contract woudl be Harrison and Edoga.  We will need t least 3 starters and 3 back-ups.

Herndon is our only TE under contract.  We will need at least two more.

Defensive side of the ball is not as desperate as offense, but we still need an edge rusher (or two) and a CB (or two).

$75Mil would be a lot money, but thats a lot of holes to fill between draft and FA.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, BCJet said:

We aren’t trading Jamal Adams. The point of the draft is to find good football players and he is one. The fact that it’s at a position of lesser value then a pass rusher or OT isn’t nearly as relevant as the fact that he is a very good player. 

Do people who want to trade him realize we could make a deal, get a first round pick and have that pick become Ereck Flowers?  Busts still happen all the time. Why trade a player who has proven to be a good player for the chance to find another good player?

The cap also is not a as big a factor as it was before the rookie scale. Any team with good players can find ways to keep their team together. Is Dallas having a hard time?   Once Sam (hopefully) needs a new deal, LeVeon will be coming off freeing up money. 

Let me clarify only one thing.  I do not want to trade him.  I'm a big fan of keeping guys that came into this organization organically, through the Draft or as an UDFA (I want to bring back Jordan Jenkins, I want to see Robby Anderson as the future WR2 on this team).  But....I think the timing of Jamal's contract expiration, his value, and the mountain of needs the Jets have will lead the Jets to strongly consider it.

If there's a team that feels a Pro Bowl caliber Safety is the thing that pushes them from 10 wins to 12, from an AFC playoff participant to AFC Championship winner....they might pony up some Draft capital that will be hard for a team with an empty cupboard of players to turn down.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Lith said:

Beachum and Kalil are both free agents after this season.  There is no cap savings for them.  Numbers above are their 2019 salary/dead $$.  Also, unless CBA is extended prior to start of league year, there will be no post June 1 designation.  Cutting Tru will onlly save $3MM next season.  WIth cutting Osemele, Winters and Johnson, we can get to mid $70s in cap space, not bad, but not $97MM.

But part of the issue is how many guys we will need to sign or re-sign.  Only WRs under contract for next season are Berrios, Bellamy, Enunwas and Crowdeer.  A sot receiver, two primary STers. and a guy who may never play again due to injury.  We need at least two if not three new WRs.

If we cut both Osemele and Winters to add space, only OLs under contract woudl be Harrison and Edoga.  We will need t least 3 starters and 3 back-ups.

Herndon is our only TE under contract.  We will need at least two more.

Defensive side of the ball is not as desperate as offense, but we still need an edge rusher (or two) and a CB (or two).

$75Mil would be a lot money, but thats a lot of holes to fill between draft and FA.

I think Shell, Harrison and Edoga are the only current OLinemen who will be on this team in a year or two.  And, each of them are better suited to be high quality backups rather than starters.  The one possible exception could be Edoga who may grow into a RT.

The Jets will basically be building an OLine from scratch in 2020.  We need to pray for something like the D'Brick and Mangold Draft of 2006 again.  That set the team up to compete in the playoffs and for AFC Championships as they dragged Mark Sanchez along for the ride just a few years later.

18 hours ago, GreenFish said:

The Browns were rumored to be shopping JC Tretter in the Spring. So he likely will hit free agency as well. The Redskins are negotiating with Scherff so he may be resigned. They’re off $2 mil per year last I read.

I remember Scherff was drafted right before Leonard Williams and my friend who's a big Redskins fan being pissed they didn't draft Leonard Williams, haha what a joke that was.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

So of those 8, who would you like to keep?

Here’s my take. Williamson and Enunwa are hurt; so, getting rid of them won’t make the team worse. Having Enunwa gives us a false sense of security at WR. We have two young guys that can step in just fine for Williamson. Save the money. 

Tru already got benched. 

The entire OL has been a turnstile and Osemele and Winters haven’t helped. Maybe Osemele turns it around. Maybe. The OL needs to be rebuilt completely. Add a couple in FA and another 2 in the draft plus Edoga.

I mentioned my thoughts on Leo and Robby earlier. 

Cutting Enunwa saves $2.4M with $5M+ in dead money.  Williamson could save as much as $6.5M, but look at how the defense fell apart when Mosley went down.  Maybe with a veteran presence they might actually stop some people instead of feeling good about Hewitt and Cashman flying around while teams get 1st downs. 

I know you addressed the offensive line with Tretter and Scherff, but besides being unlikely, you still have to worry about finding starters at both tackle spots and one G, as well as having only one each to backup at G, C, and T.  

You don't think Winters and Osemele have helped?  I remember last year people ranting about how anybody would be better than Long.  Is it better?  I'm not sure.  It's like when Pete Kendall left - "guards are easy to replace."  How'd that work out? 

In the defensive backfield you want to cut both starting CBs.  That might be okay, but you'd better be bringing in some bodies.  I can see thinking Trumaine Johnson will be addition by subtraction, but cutting Roberts too just leaves them barren.  Roberts has played every snap on D this season. Yes, Johnson was benched, but they actually played much better in the game he played every snap than the two where he was limited.

I get not wanting to pay the price for Robby Anderson and Williams, but if you don't try to low ball them  you have two more spots you need to replace.  We should be in on them until we are out. 

This team sucks.  Many players have to be replaced for sure, but dumping every starter is not always the best way.

18 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I think Shell, Harrison and Edoga are the only current OLinemen who will be on this team in a year or two.  And, each of them are better suited to be high quality backups rather than starters.  The one possible exception could be Edoga who may grow into a RT.

The Jets will basically be building an OLine from scratch in 2020.  We need to pray for something like the D'Brick and Mangold Draft of 2006 again.  That set the team up to compete in the playoffs and for AFC Championships as they dragged Mark Sanchez along for the ride just a few years later.

Given the way they have perforemd this year, that is probably a good thing.  No way Douglas can ignore OL the way his predecessor who shall not be named did.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Tru has a very difficult contract, really an albatross Mike Mac special.  The real question with him is the replacement value.  He's on the books for a 2020 cap hit of $15 million, $12 mill of that guaranteed (sunk cost) with $3 mill cap savings if cut.  So the question is can we find a better backup CB for $3 million dollars...maybe, but maybe he sticks around for that 2020 season.

Our O-Line is tragic.  Thankfully, this draft has a lot of tackles and wideouts. But yes I agree that we absolutely have to trade down to plug this perfectly described "Swiss cheese roster."

P.S.  I don't want to ever trade Jamal Adams.

3 hours ago, shuler82 said:

We have 33 players under contract right now for 2020. And a few of those will be cut. We’re in a really bad spot. Imagine that.

Macc really pooch screwed this team not just for now, but the forseeable future as well. I hope he gets a rare disease that doesn't allow him to drink coffee ever again. The Prick.

3 hours ago, BCJet said:

the draft is going to be pretty important.  douglas will need to hit on about 4 picks.  they should be able to free up enough room to sign some additional quality players.

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Let me clarify only one thing.  I do not want to trade him.  I'm a big fan of keeping guys that came into this organization organically, through the Draft or as an UDFA (I want to bring back Jordan Jenkins, I want to see Robby Anderson as the future WR2 on this team).  But....I think the timing of Jamal's contract expiration, his value, and the mountain of needs the Jets have will lead the Jets to strongly consider it.

If there's a team that feels a Pro Bowl caliber Safety is the thing that pushes them from 10 wins to 12, from an AFC playoff participant to AFC Championship winner....they might pony up some Draft capital that will be hard for a team with an empty cupboard of players to turn down.

I understand what you are saying and should the right offer come along, Adams isnt an untradeable player.

The issue with what the Dolphins are doing (and what comes into play with Adams) is that they aren't trading older veterans, who are free agents - Minkah and Tunsil are very good young players, and those picks they got can be used to move up for Tua, but they also leave huge holes.  I dont want to trade a player like adams if we then take on the risk of a pick not working out, thats all.

• Upvote 1