2020 cap situation

1 hour ago, Jet Life said:

Lack of drafting OL over the years will kill us next year (more than it already has been). We will need a new LT LG C RG. How many good OL are available in FA next class? We could be very bad again

Its not just this - Mac didn't have a ton of opportunities to draft OLineman who turned out to be elite.

The bigger issues are the lack of OL talent coming into the league, but most importantly Mac's ability to not be able to pick ANY legit NFL players is the problem.  If all we needed was a guard, that would be one thing.  But Mac made picks at other areas of need and came away with literally nothing.  

Edge - Jenkins who is a good player and then 3 guys out of the league in Donahue, Polite, or Mauldin

WR - Not a single NFL player out of Stewart, Peake or Hansen

CB - not a single usable CB out of Nickerson, Clark, Jones or Burris.

Those picks, combined with the atrocious contract he gave Trumaine is why we have so many holes.  If you threw darts at the available player list you probably could have at least hit on one guy.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Cutting Enunwa saves $2.4M with $5M+ in dead money.  Williamson could save as much as $6.5M, but look at how the defense fell apart when Mosley went down.  Maybe with a veteran presence they might actually stop some people instead of feeling good about Hewitt and Cashman flying around while teams get 1st downs. 

I know you addressed the offensive line with Tretter and Scherff, but besides being unlikely, you still have to worry about finding starters at both tackle spots and one G, as well as having only one each to backup at G, C, and T.  

You don't think Winters and Osemele have helped?  I remember last year people ranting about how anybody would be better than Long.  Is it better?  I'm not sure.  It's like when Pete Kendall left - "guards are easy to replace."  How'd that work out? 

In the defensive backfield you want to cut both starting CBs.  That might be okay, but you'd better be bringing in some bodies.  I can see thinking Trumaine Johnson will be addition by subtraction, but cutting Roberts too just leaves them barren.  Roberts has played every snap on D this season. Yes, Johnson was benched, but they actually played much better in the game he played every snap than the two where he was limited.

I get not wanting to pay the price for Robby Anderson and Williams, but if you don't try to low ball them  you have two more spots you need to replace.  We should be in on them until we are out. 

This team sucks.  Many players have to be replaced for sure, but dumping every starter is not always the best way.

Can't cut Enunwa until he is healthy... Or you have to pay out his whole contract. 

It would be dumb to let williamson go for such a small cap hit.

Cutting TJ next year would be worthless... you might as well just let him ride the bench

RA is going to get paid after he starts tearing up the league with a healthy Darnold. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jet Life said:

Lack of drafting OL over the years will kill us next year (more than it already has been). We will need a new LT LG C RG. How many good OL are available in FA next class? We could be very bad again

I can see some of this year’s OL coming back, even if overpriced. 

How do you replace so many players?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Nobody is contributing anything meaningful? You listed 8 starters.  

If the Jets are smart, they are working on fielding a 2021 team.  

Adams will likely be on that team and then move on. 

Robby could be on that team.  JD should figure out a B+ price for him.   I don’t like him overall, but Darnold needs to develop and needs someone to throw to.

OL-same thing.  

Make sure Bell and Mosley are signed up.   After that its another reboot. 

• Thumb Down 1

If I had to guess I'd say the Jets draft at least 9 players in the 2020 Draft.  Could even be closer to 11.
Compensatory pick for Leo Williams?  Trading back from early in Round 1 to still get a starting caliber OT or WR in the 10-20 range, while grabbing a 2nd and 4th?  I want to see the Jets draft 5 players from Rounds 2 thru 4.
We don't get a compensatory pick for Leo because we will be forced to spend too much money

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Are you prepared to give him a Landon Collins contract (6 years 86 million) because I'm not. I think he's a good player but not worth that money.  I'd trade Adams if it helps us speed up rebuilding our offense. 

Trade Adams now and try to get a first

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

Its not just this - Mac didn't have a ton of opportunities to draft OLineman who turned out to be elite.

I have done the same analysis but there are inherent flaws to it. 

Mac needed to build a team.  He needed to overpay for OL, overdraft them, and trade down.  He instead accumulated a pool of underachieving DL and S.  

In the first round I generally agree, but the Eagles have Andre Dillard who is playing well.  He did not like the price for trading down.  That price was the right price.  He was too hung up in looking bad and not drafting like the magazines wanted him to or trading like the trade chart. 

There are no excuses to how Mac drafted.  JD will try to fix it. 

What about restructuring some guys since it will be impossible to fill all holes in one offseason? Target guys as "hold the fort" players for a couple of years.  

One candidate might be Osemele, who has no guaranteed money left after this season.  IF he plays better as the season goes on, maybe they could give him 2-3 guaranteed years at a much lower money vs. him getting released and maybe not getting any guaranteed money from anyone.  I'm just using him as an example. 

7 hours ago, BCJet said:

We aren’t trading Jamal Adams. The point of the draft is to find good football players and he is one. The fact that it’s at a position of lesser value then a pass rusher or OT isn’t nearly as relevant as the fact that he is a very good player. 

Do people who want to trade him realize we could make a deal, get a first round pick and have that pick become Ereck Flowers?  Busts still happen all the time. Why trade a player who has proven to be a good player for the chance to find another good player?

The cap also is not a as big a factor as it was before the rookie scale. Any team with good players can find ways to keep their team together. Is Dallas having a hard time?   Once Sam (hopefully) needs a new deal, LeVeon will be coming off freeing up money. 

Or that pick could be the next Zack Martin

And btw we also save on that ridiculous $90 million extension this bonebrain franchise cannot wait to give Adams 

• Thumb Down 1

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

I have done the same analysis but there are inherent flaws to it. 

Mac needed to build a team.  He needed to overpay for OL, overdraft them, and trade down.  He instead accumulated a pool of underachieving DL and S.  

In the first round I generally agree, but the Eagles have Andre Dillard who is playing well.  He did not like the price for trading down.  That price was the right price.  He was too hung up in looking bad and not drafting like the magazines wanted him to or trading like the trade chart. 

There are no excuses to how Mac drafted.  JD will try to fix it. 

Mac drafted Leo, Adams and Nate Shepherd over Brandon Scherff, Cam Robinson and Orlando Brown

JD is fixing nothing.  The guy signed Kaare Vedvik,Ryan Kalil and gave up a free pick to Belichick he’s Gase’s lackey and Gase is getting exposed here big time

• Thumb Down 3

20 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

JD is fixing nothing.  The guy signed Kaare Vedvik,Ryan Kalil and gave up a free pick to Belichick he’s Gase’s lackey and Gase is getting exposed here big time

I don't get your JD hate. He was literally hired what, 4 months ago? 

The Vedvik thing is way overblown here. We took a chance on him, and it didn't work out. He was gone after 1 week and we have a new kicker. Why harp on that? it's not like he's still here shanking kicks. There are plenty of teams that lose a game by a missed PAT or fieldgoal. It happens every week. 

obviously our o line sucks and JD had a chance to bring in a pro bowl center out of retirement. It was a good idea on paper. But honestly Kalil has been garbage. I'm not going to blame JD for trying to improve this disaster of an offensive line . Gase can bench him.

I wasn't a fan of the Demeryius Thomas trade. But it was a 6th Rd pick. It's not that big a deal.  Hopefully he comes back in a week or 2 and plays out the season and helps the development of Darnold in some way. then it won't be a total loss. *Crosses fingers*

I just don't understand why you want to write off our GM who hasn't even had a draft or a free agency yet. Give the guy a chance. He's been working with his hands tied behind his back thanks to Macc

• Upvote 3

Even assuming that the Jets are able to create all that cap space next season, I would strongly suggest that the team sit out the first couple of days of FA and aim for signing a couple of the B level free agents. As great as Le'Veon and Mosely are, the Jets are going to need to hit more bargain FA signings like Williamson and Poole to really fill out the holes in this roster. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Or that pick could be the next Zack Martin

And btw we also save on that ridiculous $90 million extension this bonebrain franchise cannot wait to give Adams 

Love the theory that on one hand Adams was a bad pick

On the other he'll have played well enough to earn a $90 million dollar extension.

8 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Mac drafted Leo, Adams and Nate Shepherd over Brandon Scherff, Cam Robinson and Orlando Brown

Another Monday morning GM, we could have had.....

We're even going back 4 years to do it. 

56 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

We're not in a really bad spot.

We aren’t in cap hell, but we are far from being in a position to really overhaul the roster.  If you resign solid depth FAs (the Andersons of the world) next offseason to fill out the roster holes all the while cutting the numerous overpriced items we have you end up with just enough money to sign two big named FAs to  Trumaine Johnson style big buck contracts.  That’s no where near enough to make us competitive.

Compare that to last offseason where we had space to sign about 7 big names.

Again this always happens to rebuilding teams that fail to draft well.  FA ends up being  the only option and after multiple contracts you end up running out of money and options.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Hael said:

We aren’t in cap hell, but we are far from being in a position to really overhaul the roster.  If you resign solid depth FAs (the Andersons of the world) next offseason to fill out the roster holes all the while cutting the numerous overpriced items we have you end up with just enough money to sign two big named FAs to  Trumaine Johnson style big buck contracts.  That’s no where near enough to make us competitive.

Compare that to last offseason where we had space to sign about 7 big names.

Again this always happens to rebuilding teams that fail to draft well.  FA ends up being  the only option and after multiple contracts you end up running out of money and options.

We're not in a bad spot.  

Last season we had a empty roster and 100 mil to spend.  But we had our own players to sign on top of FAs but thats not a normal season and shouldn't be used as a comparison 

No one wants or needs to overhaul the roster.  We need help with a WR, a CB, OL and edge granted but thats not a overhaul.

18 hours ago, shuler82 said:

We have 33 players under contract right now for 2020. And a few of those will be cut. We’re in a really bad spot. Imagine that.

This franchise is comical.  We have the same discussions every year, and nothing changes.  After all the cap money wasted, after all the draft picks selected over the last 5 years, we are still looking at a poor roster with little talent to build around.  Now it’s even worse because in the past when we’ve seen only 30 or so players on a roster there was almost $100 million in cap space, now it’s only about $50 million.   

People are already looking to see what free agent can be signed next year, forget about them, they’re not changing the direction of this team.   Unfortunately it’s going to require a couple GREAT drafts to get this team to the point where people can talk about playoffs.   Then of course it will be time to sign Sam long term, but first things first, put together a respectable roster then we can talk   

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

Even assuming that the Jets are able to create all that cap space next season, I would strongly suggest that the team sit out the first couple of days of FA and aim for signing a couple of the B level free agents. As great as Le'Veon and Mosely are, the Jets are going to need to hit more bargain FA signings like Williamson and Poole to really fill out the holes in this roster. 

Agreed.  We are having the same discussions as last year, except this time there is half as much cap space.   The same holes exist today as they did a year ago, or really for the last 5 years.  

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

We have about $53 million as of right now.  If you cut all the following players (Johnson, Osemele, Enunwa, Winters, Daryl Roberts, Williamson) you save almost $40 million.  Howerver, you would need two starting CB's, and well, basically an entire OL. 

Yep.  I count $36.1M.  If my wife were buying sh*t, she'd tell me $30M.  On the offensive line you would have Edoga and Harrison under contract.  That's it. At CB you'd have Hairston and Blessaun Austin.  

20 hours ago, BCJet said:

I’d also pray we just outbid everyone for Brandon Sherff to take over RG. That fills a hole and he is a strong player. 

Once upon a time I ripped the Redskins for taking Scherff over Leonard Williams.  Now we need him on our team desperately.  

Yikes.  

19 hours ago, Lith said:

Only WRs under contract for next season are Berrios, Bellamy, Enunwas and Crowdeer.  A sot receiver, two primary STers. and a guy who may never play again due to injury.  We need at least two if not three new WRs.

$75Mil would be a lot money, but thats a lot of holes to fill between draft and FA.

What else is new ^^

But everyone needs to recognize how pitiful that statement is above regarding our WRs under contract. 

Next season needs to focus on three (is that all???)  main areas of concern. 

• First and foremost is the OL so the rest of the offense has a chance to succeed.  Unless a miracle occurs Douglas will likely be able to replace only three OL; LT, C and RG.  I'm hoping for a LT in the first or second round; a free agent RG and a mid-round pick on a center.
  • A pass rusher should be taken in the first or second round.
  • We're not likely to get a legit #1 CB in the draft or free agency.  I'd be happy with two #2 in the draft and free agency.
  •  

If he's successful at this team could be respectable in 2020.  Oh, and we need to have our players NOT put on suspension.

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

We're not in a bad spot.  

Last season we had a empty roster and 100 mil to spend.  But we had our own players to sign on top of FAs but thats not a normal season and shouldn't be used as a comparison 

No one wants or needs to overhaul the roster.  We need help with a WR, a CB, OL and edge granted but thats not a overhaul.

That's what we needed before this season and we didn't get that fixed either.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

We're not in a bad spot.  

You were probably saying the same thing last year, and year before that.  You casually talk about needing WR, CB, OL and Edge as if you can snap your finger and make them magically appear.  Given what is currently under contract, and what is needed to sign and draft, it does require an overhaul.  Just like last year, and the year before that.  

13 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I don't get your JD hate. He was literally hired what, 4 months ago? 

The Vedvik thing is way overblown here. We took a chance on him, and it didn't work out. He was gone after 1 week and we have a new kicker. Why harp on that? it's not like he's still here shanking kicks. There are plenty of teams that lose a game by a missed PAT or fieldgoal. It happens every week. 

obviously our o line sucks and JD had a chance to bring in a pro bowl center out of retirement. It was a good idea on paper. But honestly Kalil has been garbage. I'm not going to blame JD for trying to improve this disaster of an offensive line . Gase can bench him.

I wasn't a fan of the Demeryius Thomas trade. But it was a 6th Rd pick. It's not that big a deal.  Hopefully he comes back in a week or 2 and plays out the season and helps the development of Darnold in some way. then it won't be a total loss. *Crosses fingers*

I just don't understand why you want to write off our GM who hasn't even had a draft or a free agency yet. Give the guy a chance. He's been working with his hands tied behind his back thanks to Macc

Signed Vedvik who cost us a win and is a worse kicker than anything ever seen in football, traded a pick for Demariyus Thomas who is done, signed Kalil who is a turnstile and done

But yeah Douglas looks great ? 

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

You were probably saying the same thing last year, and year before that.  You casually talk about needing WR, CB, OL and Edge as if you can snap your finger and make them magically appear.  Given what is currently under contract, and what is needed to sign and draft, it does require an overhaul.  Just like last year, and the year before that.  

How about you take a second and read what I said, not a reply to my post where you miss that I'm talking about the cap.

And if youre saying the team needs a complete overhaul, I dont agree