Do we really expect Darnold to play /PHI?

Paradis

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

The guy is in non contact jersey and still recovering from a serious albeit wonky Illness. Do we really He’s going to get rolled out there behind that Oline in 3 days? 

He is going to play... whether the fans want it or not... I fully expect him to get the clearance Sunday morning (magically)

• Thumb Down 1

The Jets will be smart and the decision will rest solely in the medical staffs hands. I think he is close, but his spleen will need to be considered 100% before he plays. I suspect due to lack of QB moves that the medical staff anticipates clearing him on Friday but my gut says Darnold comes back in the Dallas game.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Paradis said:

The guy is in non contact jersey and still recovering from a serious albeit wonky Illness. Do we really He’s going to get rolled out there behind that Oline in 3 days? 

I hope not 

• Upvote 1

Straight speculation. I’m guessing. 

The doctors told Gase he’s not cleared to play but can beginning non contact stuff. That’s been confirmed by Gase. My guess is that the doctors also told Gase they expect Darnold to be cleared to play before the game. I don’t think they guaranteed it. My guess is we will find out tomorrow that Darnold has been cleared to play. It’s been reported that he has a medical test tomorrow.

I expect him to play.

26 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Imo, he shouldn't and he won't. I have little doubt that he may not start for another week or two. Good for us, why would we want the kid to suffer behind this circus which we are told is an offensive line. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, GreenFish said:

Straight speculation. I’m guessing. 

The doctors told Gase he’s not cleared to play but can beginning non contact stuff. That’s been confirmed by Gase. My guess is that the doctors also told Gase they expect Darnold to be cleared to play before the game. I don’t think they guaranteed it. My guess is we will find out tomorrow that Darnold has been cleared to play. It’s been reported that he has a medical test tomorrow

Would you play him?

Can you doofuses screaming that he “shouldn’t” play please make a logical argument as to why? Darnold says he feels 100%. He is practicing fully. If the doctors clear him it means there is no risk associated with his spleen. What exactly would we be holding him out for? You don’t lose months of conditioning became you take a few weeks off. He’s missed 3 weeks not 3 months. I’m honestly baffled by this stance.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Explain why he can't? 

He is clearly physically able to play and the only question is whether he can take a hit. That is simply a yes or no answer from a doctor. Once the Dr says he can, he should play. Whether that is Saturday in time for Sundays game or in 3 weeks. 

The notion that after he is cleared he needs to take some practice hits before he can play makes little sense. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

I expect him to play, throw 5tds and pass for 700 yards. Anything less he is a bust and a failure. No excuses. 

I wouldnt go this far but he is 100% playing.  They are putting on a dog and pony show but they have told you for weeks this is the game he returns.

He will throw for over 300 yards and multiple tds as this eagles secondary is the worst in the nfl.

32 minutes ago, nico002 said:

1. QBs always practice in non contact jerseys 

2. he says he feels 100%, there is no recovery, just a matter of his spleen getting smaller 

3. he’s taking the 1st team snaps so I’d say it’s 50% right now 

if the doctors clear him- he’s good to go. ZERO chance he doesn’t play if the docs give him the green light.

I think you nailed it.  It's completely binary....either the doctors give the thumbs up or thumbs down.  It will all be based on the risk associated with the size of his spleen.  We're now at 4 weeks since symptom onset which, according to everything I've read, is when the spleen should be just about back to normal size.  I really think it's a question of when they assess him.  If they did it today he might still be borderline and not able to play....if they did it Sunday morning he could be full go.  I think that's why this whole situation has been uncertain.  We're talking about + or - a day or two really making a big difference.

A few random thoughts/questions....

1. If Darnold is getting so many 1st team reps you'd have to assume the Jets expect him to play.  Perhaps the doctors said on Monday that he's really, really close and we fully expect our next test on Friday/Saturday or whenever to be the final step in clearing him.

2. If Gase isn't giving Luke Falk reps and then Darnold can't play then isn't this a colossal game week miscalculation?  Or, it could simply mean that Gase doesn't think the amount of work he gives Luke Falk would really matter in terms of being able to win with Luke Falk on Sunday.

3. Is any of this gamesmanship?  Not that I think it'll make a difference in whether the Jets have a shot to win on Sunday, but not announcing whether Darnold will play or not until Saturday or Sunday does leave a question in the minds of the opponent and forcing them to spend at least some time planning for both QBs.

4. For the bettors out there....is the line on this game moving at all, even a little?  That could be an indication. #FollowTheMoney 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I expect him to play, throw 5tds and pass for 700 yards. Anything less he is a bust and a failure. No excuses. 

Really?  No excuses at all?

What about his red hair?  Have you seen Andy Dalton play?  It's a known limitation...like Russell Wilson's height.

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Explain why he can't? 

He is clearly physically able to play and the only question is whether he can take a hit. That is simply a yes or no answer from a doctor. Once the Dr says he can, he should play. Whether that is Saturday in time for Sundays game or in 3 weeks. 

The notion that after he is cleared he needs to take some practice hits before he can play makes little sense. 

There are a faction of jet fans who are so afraid darnold isnt good that they dont even want him out there.  They rather not know then know.

And if he does go out there, they already have 20 excuses in case he doesnt play well.

• Post of the Week 1

18 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Bingo. I know you’re exaggerating his stat line, but you just know Sammy D is ready to roll.

Sam is back. @SAR I called it. 9-7 and the playoffs. The way Brady looked Sunday 10-6 and the division might still be in play!

I’m with our captain on this one. Sam is an insanely accurate, elite FQB. Wentz is glass and Zac is a game manager. The Jets beat Philly and Dallas. We’re suddenly 2-3 with New England at home. The Buffalo games proved Sam is better then Brady, you just know Sam is going to light it up, make Brady look old. 3-3.

The pig is slaughtered.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

There are a faction of jet fans who are so afraid darnold isnt good that they dont even want him out there.  They rather not know then know.

And if he does go out there, they already have 20 excuses in case he doesnt play well.

Exactly. Trevor was slinging it like a boss before he fake an ankle injury. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Can you doofuses screaming that he “shouldn’t” play please make a logical argument as to why? Darnold says he feels 100%. He is practicing fully. If the doctors clear him it means there is no risk associated with his spleen. What exactly would we be holding him out for? He’s missed 3 weeks not 3 months. I’m honestly baffled by this stance.

Sometimes it’s painfully obvious you’re young 

5 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Bingo

Sam is back. @SAR I called it. 9-7 and the playoffs.

I’m with our captain on this one. Sam is an insanely accurate, elite FQB. Wentz is glass and Zac is a game manager. The Jets beat Philly and Dallas. We’re suddenly 2-3 with New England at home. The Buffalo games proved Sam is better then Brady, you just know Sam is going to light it up, make Brady look old. 3-3.

The pig is slaughtered.

If I didn't know you better I'd swear you believe this. You evil genius.?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Bingo

Sam is back. @SAR I called it. 9-7 and the playoffs.

The pig is slaughtered.

Sounds like a liquored up kicker talking. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve had a personal look at Mono over the past few months in my own family and it’s one of the weirdest sicknesses I’ve ever seen. That being said all that matters is the sonogram of his spleen. 

Mono tends to be a 6-8 week illness however it’s very hard for people to pinpoint when it starts as the incubation period can be 4 weeks. 

Once you actually get “sick” you are spent, totally exhausted and this is when you lose weight. 

The second week you are “sick” your appetite starts to come back and the exhaustion dissipates but you aren’t yourself  

By the third week (and this depends on multiple factors) you tend to feel completely fine and the next couple weeks frustration sits in as you are waiting for the spleen sonogram but feel healthy. 

Sam has his first week being “sick” September 1-8 (game was on the 8th which he played already ill). 

His second week was when the diagnosis was public (8th-15th). Third week (15th-22nd) and fourth week (22-29) 

Sept 29th-Oct 6th is his 5th week since getting “sick” which likely means he has been physically ok for 2 weeks with the only physical issues being his cardio and the spleen size  (timing is a different discussion). 

He should be easily physically “well enough” to play and likely will be in the lineup as long as his spleen has shrunk and is back behind his rib cage so it’s protected.  If his spleen is still enlarged there is zero chance he plays. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1