Philc1

Anthony Castonzo needs to be the Jets top free agent target next offseason

I am not in favour of going the Fa route at all.  Build the line via the draft and add the one missing piece via fa only after.  Scherff i could see pursuing as he is still young enough. 

Who are the top 5 OL in college football. 

Problem is if we pick in the top 5 theres a chance we can draft WR Jerry Jeudy. 

33 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

The Colts will have almost $110 million in cap space next year, pretty sure they can pay for Castonzo.  

This.  Give me Thomas or Jeudy.

• Upvote 3

58 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

The Colts will have almost $110 million in cap space next year, pretty sure they can pay for Castonzo.  

Yup.  This is why I never look at NFL free agent lists until Feb/Mar.  So many of these "free agents" will be re-signed by their teams and never actually hit the market.  And other guys that are not on anyone's radar screen now will be released. 

No point in speculating about free agency this early.  We have no idea who will or will not be available in March.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Trade for Trent Williams in the offseason... He is not going to play for the Redskins again. 

Good thought and you are right....seems like he'll never play for the Skins again. I just hate the thought of giving up draft picks as opposed to signing a FA OL.

7 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Scherff is a beast. He will be well worth whatever someone pays him on the open market.

And to think, I remember how ecstatic I was when Washington "reached" for Scherff in the draft, leaving us with "the best player in the draft" Leonard Williams...

Good times indeed.

12 minutes ago, Lith said:

Yup.  This is why I never look at NFL free agent lists until Feb/Mar.  So many of these "free agents" will be re-signed by their teams and never actually hit the market.  And other guys that are not on anyone's radar screen now will be released. 

No point in speculating about free agency this early.  We have no idea who will or will not be available in March.

Exactly, plus there isn’t one shred of evidence that either Castonzo or the Colts want to part ways.  

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I am not in favour of going the Fa route at all.  Build the line via the draft and add the one missing piece via fa only after.  Scherff i could see pursuing as he is still young enough. 

In an ideal world you do both. Draft the next Brick/Mangold sign the next Faneca/Woody.

Then continue stockpiling stud lineman for years to come.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, chirorob said:

If you want to do it only through the draft, it'll take 3 years.   They have zero NFL quality starters as of right now.

Even when the Jets drafted Brick and Mangold, they brought in FA Faneca to put in between them.    When Parcells re built, he brought in FA Mawae.

things are different these days, olinema that are really  good rarely come free and when they do every team is after them.

We have tried to improve via Fa  (Macs modus operendi_ and end up with Spencer long, beachum, kalil)  There are far more busts than all pros and moreso these days.  Guards and Centers were undervalued back then.

4 hours ago, peebag said:

first off, let's see what we can do in the draft.

Problem with this is that you can't wait.  Free agency is a month before the draft.  The only guys we have under contract are ones people are looking to cut.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Scherff is a beast. He will be well worth whatever someone pays him on the open market.

And to think, I remember how ecstatic I was when Washington "reached" for Scherff in the draft, leaving us with "the best player in the draft" Leonard Williams...

All of us...

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

If you want to do it only through the draft, it'll take 3 years.   They have zero NFL quality starters as of right now.

Even when the Jets drafted Brick and Mangold, they brought in FA Faneca to put in between them.    When Parcells re built, he brought in FA Mawae.

This. You can bring in a mix, we don’t have to be idealistic... just improve the OK by whatever means we have.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

My money is on the Jets taking an OT with their top ten first round draft pick.  It's supposedly a position of strength in this draft.

If Jeudy is on the board, that's the pick. There will be good OL in 2 and 3, but JJ is head and shoulders a better prospect than any of the other WRs. I like Tee Higgins as a possession WR, but Jeudy will be special. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Who are the top 5 OL in college football. 

Problem is if we pick in the top 5 theres a chance we can draft WR Jerry Jeudy. 

Supposedly this is a great WR draft 

We need WR just as bad as OL

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

If Jeudy is on the board, that's the pick. There will be good OL in 2 and 3, but JJ is head and shoulders a better prospect than any of the other WRs. I like Tee Higgins as a possession WR, but Jeudy will be special. 

Draft Jeudy and sign Castonzo

Sounds like a plan

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JetPotato said:

You know which offensive linemen actually make it to free agency? The ones you shouldn't sign.

Like Kevin Mawae and Damien Woody?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Like Kevin Mawae and Damien Woody?

Damien Woody. Lol. Ok.

Yeah. We signed one guy 21 years ago. How many since then have been signed? How many were worth a damn? Only had a decent run up front when Parcells went and drafted us Brick and Mangold and set us up for a decade. After that, nothing. Zip. Zilch. Zero.

8 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Trade for Trent Williams in the offseason... He is not going to play for the Redskins again. 

What if they could pull off trading for Trent Williams, sign Brandon Scherff, and draft OL in the first.  That might change a few things. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

What if they could pull off trading for Trent Williams, sign Brandon Scherff, and draft OL in the first.  That might change a few things. 

That and drafting someone like Andrew Thomas? Instant fix of the o-line.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

If we got those guys, I would draft WR in 1, and then draft best OL available in 2/3.  

William's, Scherff, Jerry Jeudy, and the best C or G in the draft would be a hell of a way to a good offense. 

Draft two guys high and sign one good FA and you can do most of it at once. Like when we signed Faneca.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app