Osemele suffers "potentially significant shoulder injury" in practice today

thshadow

On 10/3/2019 at 10:21 PM, Fantasy Island said:

addition by subtraction.

So the rest of the Jets starting O-line is that much better than him that he is simply HURTING the team by being on the roster, getting paid but not being able to play? Nice. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/4/2019 at 3:59 AM, deucebag said:

Osemele has been terrible, he may be a huge strong beast, but he has no mobility left.  

On 10/4/2019 at 4:03 AM, New York Mick said:

I never said that he was good.  I said some fans always assume the back up is better if the starter stinks. 

I don't get why fans think some of these guys are SO bad. Its absurd. Its like the expected  level of play is truly Pro Bowl caliber. Osemele has not been great but he not been terrible, not the way fans are making him out to be. Is he overpaid, sure, but you're making him sound like he shouldn't be in NFL. That's simply not true. On a solid o-line with their s**t together and well coached team he can be a solid veteran LG starter, when healthy. None of that is happening right now, he is hurt (and has been banged up), this coach hasn't helped the O-line whatsoever and the O-line itself has not had their s**t together- that much has been absolutely clear. 

And while its usually not the case that the backups are better than the starters, at some point you have to try something different and guys like Lewis, Compton and Edoga looked pretty good in camp and preseason- and the whole second unit- including Harrison looked like they communicated well and could function well together as a unit. Osemele is hurt. If I was Gase I would literally bench the whole right side and start Beachem, Lewis, Compton, Harrison, and Edoga. I think those guys will do a better job than what we have seen so far, and if they don't, well, at least he tried something new, at least he sent a message to the starters, at least he showed he had some faith in his backups and that there should be some accountability on the team for poor play. And hate to say it but at least its not Darnold getting killed against the Eagles out there./ 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

You know what Bell prefers,  holes opened up that he can run through. I doubt he gives a flying ef how they are opened. 

Didn't you say that the Jets blocking schemes don't fit Bells running style? 

Wow. When you look at the highest paid players on this team & the contribution they make overall, it's easy to see why we're in a whole lotta suck. Trumaine Johnson (12) Leonard Williams (14.2) KO (10.2)  Beachum (9.5) Kalil (8.4) Quincy Enunwa (9) Avery Williamson (8)
71.3 Million in salary cap space being eaten up by 6 guys, 4 who are useless & 2 on injured reserve. This is going to be a much longer turn paround than anyone of us expected. I'm sure that factors into guys heads like Bell, Mosely, Adams, when they look around the NFL. These guys are part of a pathetic team overall. This isn't Rex getting Manginis team. 
You guys expecting Gase & JD to be miracle workers are out of your minds. 

Things aren’t nearly as bad as described.

We’re not tied to those players/contracts long term.

We’ll still fave plenty of cap space - and likely a high draft pick.

Now, we need a GM that understands the basic fundamentals of today’s NFL - based on the way philly has recently built the team with an eye toward protecting their QB hopefully Douglas gets it.

And lastly and most importantly- good QB play makes everyone around him better.

If we focus on O-line, a lot of our mediocre WR’s will start to look a heck of a lot better.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

24:25:31

53 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Nope, I said it doesn't  fit the OL personnel 

That's not true.  The personnel just suck.  They wouldn't be good miraculously with a scheme change.  Winters has sucked in both systems, Beachum has sucked in both systems .  With a better player like Shell it's made no difference.  

We're always looking to blame someone, a scheme or both, instead of just recognizing the obvious.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

No one is getting blamed for the past regimes mistakes this soon, especially with what has happened since the opening bell. 

We're judging a HC off of what, one game with an injured QB and team? A game they still should have won if not for the past regimes mistake with regards to the K? 

Or are we judging him over 2 other games with a 3rd string QB and an OL that is a total mess.  Translate that to anything other than football and the story the same to me.  That's all I'm saying

You're trying to take a general comment (mine) and apply it to a very specific scenario (yours). I did not do so. I rather made the comment that the head man usually--and understandably--pays the price in most cases.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

You're trying to take a general comment (mine) and apply it to a very specific scenario (yours). I did not do so. I rather made the comment that the head man usually--and understandably--pays the price in most cases

22 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Winters was an Idzik pick.  I don't count guys off their rookie deals because anybody can sign them.  Winters isn't great, but we could have signed guys like Warford just as easily.  What is the difference who drafted them? Was Demario Davis any less a Jet in 2017 than he was in 2015? 

it doesn't matter who drafted them but bringing up idzik or mac puts it in perspective.  obviously we'll see if douglas does a better job pretty soon.  and the drafts of idzik and mac are all recent enough so that a good number of those drafted players should be playing in the league somewhere even if only on special teams.  so far there have been way too many whiffs.

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

That's not true.  The personnel just suck.  They wouldn't be good miraculously with a scheme change.  Winters has sucked in both systems, Beachum has sucked in both systems .  With a better player like Shell it's made no difference.  

We're always looking to blame someone, a scheme or both, instead of just recognizing the obvious.  

They were better last season. 

On 10/4/2019 at 9:21 AM, sec101row23 said:

Finding and acquiring players that fit your particular scheme and skill set that you are looking for is critical.  It’s critical when drafting a guy and it’s critical when acquiring FA’s.  The very good to great players in the league are scheme diverse for the most part, but the vast majority of the players in this league need to be in the right situation to succeed.  I don’t think what they are asking Osemele to do matches his skill set.  He’s a more of a mauler and they’re asking him to adapt to this zone blocking scheme and he’s struggling.  Didn’t seem like a good fit from the beginning. 

Exactly right. This is another example of Macc trading for a player without consulting the coaching staff.

On 10/4/2019 at 6:40 AM, jgb said:

Reality is setting in for most everyone now. We are going to be pretty bad for awhile. The thing we have to root for now is Sam to continue to grow and confirm he is a FQB.

This year is SHOT. I’d protect Sam at all costs and keep him out until it’s absolutely certain he’s not at risk. Of course, with this OL, he’d be at risk every passing play. But if he’s iffy medically, no way you send him out there. I don’t care if he’s cleared until the last game of the year.  Now is is the time to clean house as much as possible. Cut certain guys like Tru Johnson who have zero trade value. Send a message now. Trade numerous players that have some value around the league that are over hyped like Robbie, Leo, Adams and get what you can. It’s not like they’re doing anything all that special anyways and can’t easily be replaced. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

This year is SHOT. I’d protect Sam at all costs and keep him out until it’s absolutely certain he’s not at risk. Of course, with this OL, he’d be at risk every passing play. But if he’s iffy medically, no way you send him out there. I don’t care if he’s cleared until the last game of the year.  Now is is the time to clean house as much as possible. Cut certain guys like Tru Johnson who have zero trade value. Send a message now. Trade numerous players that have some value around the league that are over hyped like Robbie, Leo, Adams and get what you can. It’s not like they’re doing anything all that special anyways and can’t easily be replaced. 

Why the F would anyone trade Adams?

Pro Bowl players, who everyone but a handful of delusional fans aren't traded because they're not overhyped.  

Hate to break it to you, no one is leaving Darnold on the bench because of the OL.  And with the schedule being what it is after Dallas, no one thinks the season is over

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Two of the five weren't here a year ago.  Plus Winters and She'll weren't playing.  

Whole different OL

Apples and oranges 

Yeah, shouldn't go from serviceable  to outright the worst OL in the NFL even if you replace. 3 of the 5 are still playing but I have to agree, Kalil and Osemele are horrible. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Why the F would anyone trade Adams?

Pro Bowl players, who everyone but a handful of delusional fans aren't traded because they're not overhyped.  

Hate to break it to you, no one is leaving Darnold on the bench because of the OL.  And with the schedule being what it is after Dallas, no one thinks the season is over

Uh because he sucks

9 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Yeah, shouldn't go from serviceable  to outright the worst OL in the NFL even if you replace. 3 of the 5 are still playing but I have to agree, Kalil and Osemele are horrible. 

Agree, but it's Shell...who was injured, Kalil, Winters..who also was injured, Osemele, it'd basically a different line 

Macc ignoring the line has blown up this season.

On 10/4/2019 at 3:59 PM, southparkcpa said:

MAC made Idzik look like Ozzie Newsome. I can’t see how we get better for 2 years.... 

I can't agree with this. Why? The only decent things Idzik ever did was save us a crap ton of cap space and sign Eric Decker. What Idzik draft picks were better than Macc? Geno over Darnold? Enunwa was a find but now a busted jag because he will never be healthy. Sam, Jenkins, Lac, Adams, Maye and possibly Quinnen and Cashman give Macc more good players than I can name from Idiotzik. Coples? Sheldon? Milliner? Winters? All fckin terrible players. Don't even get me started on his WR picks. Idzik was a joke while Macc was a putz. Still give me Mac's players over Idzik's.