Mehta: Two new Starters Expected on Sunday on Jets O-line

The bottom line for me is this OL sucks and needs a near complete overhaul. Replacing Kalil with Harrison would only improve the line in a miniscule way. This off-season, the Jets at the very least TWO new starters on the OL. I would think using the draft and FA should get us a better OL. Center and LT are absolute necessity the way I see it.

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Jonatthan Harrison rating... 60 (18 snaps)

Brandon shell pff rating.... 56

kalil rating....46

Pff considers 60 to 69 rating as a backup

they benched the Wrong guy but it doesn’t matter really they all suck 

yup, it's just rearranging deck chairs on the titanic. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Harrison did nothing bad to not be playing Center. 

Kalil was a grab the news headlines signing. 

11 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

Brandon shell has been as bad as it gets . But winters is even worse . How is he still starting 

18 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

He is better than Kalil who's better days are behind him. 

15 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Except, you know, be bad.

It looks like Kalil was lured by JD out of retirement by the money. He knew he was done but decided to come back for one more year because the money was right. I don't see him all of a sudden turning things around. 

Harrison was not great early on last year when given opportunities but he got better over time and when he was given another opportunity (after Long injured his hand and couldn't snap the ball) things started to click and he played A LOT better. And coming off the last few weeks of last season Harrison knew he had an opportunity to grab the starting position, especially when the Jets didn't sign a high priced FA or draft a C early on. He worked his butt off in camp and the offseason and it showed, he looked better than he ever did. Then JD signed Kalil and Gase handed him the starting job. I thought Harrison got shafted and I think he could be a legit starting Center in the NFL. Right now, there's no reason to ASSUME he can't. This notion that he 'SUCKS' is B.S.

The fact is Osemele has not been THAT bad and would still be starting if he wasn't hurt. People make it seem like he shouldn't even be playing in the NFL but the dude is a beast and can still play at a high level. On a well-coached, functional O-line he would be a good addition as a guard. Is he overpaid? Sure. But the stuff people are saying about him is a bit absurd.

If I was Gase- I know I have to put Lewis in for Osemele, but I would also start Harrison- he DESERVES IT and would probably be an upgrade at this point. I would bench Winters and start Compton- who looked solid in preseason. And I would start Edoga, who also looked solid in pre-season and camp. And I would activate Wesco and bring him on the field to throw some vicious blocks. That's why we drafted him and Gase needs to learn how to use him. I get that Macc drafted him but the dude does ONE thing well and its something we desperately need right now. I don't know why Gase can't figure out how to utilize it.  

11 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

The bottom line for me is this OL sucks and needs a near complete overhaul. Replacing Kalil with Harrison would only improve the line in a miniscule way. This off-season, the Jets at the very least TWO new starters on the OL. I would think using the draft and FA should get us a better OL. Center and LT are absolute necessity the way I see it.

I don't think anyone is really believes the Olines ISNT overdue for an overhaul or that Macc never drafted O-linemen early/never hit on hit O-line picks. The question is, is the current O-line talent AS bad as what we have been seeing on the field and I don't think it is. Including the depth, the talent on this o-line is not great by any means but not nearly as bad as what I have seen. A lot of this mess has to do with bad coaching, play calling, and QB play.   

• Upvote 1