Just make G Williams the head coach already

Look and again I think this thread is spot on. G Williams should take Gase job because Gase is terrible as a head coach and seeing him call plays you see he is terrible off coordinator too.

This is not really a debate it is obvious and Greg Williams is the guy to right the ship. Do it now. Don't waste time. Let him salvage and coach up our offense. Let Joe d give him some pieces and draft to get us going. But we could and should be at least competitive. The fact we are not is solely on cosching. Our def is competitive and in short burst dominant on plays. The offense is niether.

Fire Gase and give the job to an actual good coach. The fact that g Williams fits well with ny and is a little tough all the better.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, choon328 said:

When you have a terrible QB who is limited physically it extremely limits the playbook. He went for it on 4th and 1 and went against tendency and threw the ball and Falk threw a pick 6. 

ok so he ran on 3rd and 1 and everyone knew it and got stuffed

THATS when you go Play action not on 4th and 1 

and if you are going to Play action, don't playaction to Bell who is in double coverage because he's had 10 touches so far and it's the 2nd quarter

way too predictable ...

and to be honest he's like a generation behind the times

these are Rex Ryan Red yellow green play calls or Paul Hackett

or if you are going to run, how about a QB sneak behind the 8 million dollar center?

it's one yard 

these situations you are blaming on Falk or the line yeah they could be better but these play calls are friggin terrible 

Sam got hurt last year too but Bates found a way to score at least some points

Gase is approaching Kotite level incompetence.

they might not win a game all year 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

ok so he ran on 3rd and 1 and everyone knew it and got stuffed

THATS when you go Play action not on 4th and 1 

and if you are going to Play action, don't playaction to Bell who is in double coverage because he's had 10 touches so far and it's the 2nd quarter

way too predictable ...

and to be honest he's like a generation behind the times

these are Rex Ryan Red yellow green play calls or Paul Hackett

or if you are going to run, how about a QB sneak behind the 8 million dollar center?

it's one yard 

these situations you are blaming on Falk or the line yeah they could be better but these play calls are friggin terrible 

Sam got hurt last year too but Bates found a way to score at least some points

Gase is approaching Kotite level incompetence.

they might not win a game all year 

Bates had a 16 year veteran as his QB when Darnold was out last year. That's a terrible example.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

Bates had a 16 year veteran as his QB when Darnold was out last year. That's a terrible example.

They spent 100 million more dollars on this year's roster. He could have found a Garner Mishew or Kyle Allen but he did not. 

by the fact we are even comparing Jeremy "messin with sasquatch" Bates with Adam "offensive genius" Gase is hugely troubling 

everyone accepted Bowles/Bates was terrible ...Here's a not so hot take - Todd Bowles was a better HC  than Gase

and yes I know it's a low bar, that's how crap Gase has been with these play calls and Game decision moments

there were also several points Gase could have challenged and didnt. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, bitonti said:

They spent 100 million more dollars on this year's roster. He could have found a Garner Mishew or Kyle Allen but he did not. 

by the fact we are even comparing Jeremy "messin with sasquatch" Bates with Adam "offensive genius" Gase is hugely troubling 

everyone accepted Bowles/Bates was terrible ...Here's a not so hot take - Todd Bowles was a better HC  than Gase

and yes I know it's a low bar, that's how crap Gase has been with these play calls and Game decision moments

there were also several points Gase could have challenged and didnt. 

I guess they should have went to the Gardner Minshew store and just picked up another version of him before the season. They actually went out and got a backup QB who had some success in Gase's offense in Semien. Nobody could project that both he and Darnold would be out. If this offense looked like this after 3 games with Semien as the QB I'd be right with you. But criticizing an offense when it's being run by a 3rd string QB is dumb on a high level. It would be like criticizing a 4×100 relay team for losing when the anchor man only has 1 leg. That one guy will drag the entire team down with him. That's what's happening right now with the Jets. 

25 minutes ago, choon328 said:

I guess they should have went to the Gardner Minshew store and just picked up another version of him before the season. They actually went out and got a backup QB who had some success in Gase's offense in Semien. Nobody could project that both he and Darnold would be out. If this offense looked like this after 3 games with Semien as the QB I'd be right with you. But criticizing an offense when it's being run by a 3rd string QB is dumb on a high level. It would be like criticizing a 4×100 relay team for losing when the anchor man only has 1 leg. That one guy will drag the entire team down with him. That's what's happening right now with the Jets. 

I am meh on this because you think people who are anti gase are saying he should be winning...we are not we are saying he should be coaching and making adjustments to help the qb and better play calling short drops quick slants ect... do let the kid have too many choices he has to get rid of the ball Gase has not done that from what I can see Gase has not really coached to anyone's strengths. We are not saying win but coach and plan to be competitive. he has not. 

If this was your job and you had 4 bad performances over a month and cost the team money (that is what is happening when fans turn off and tune out stop by merch ect) how long would you expect to have it?  

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, rammagen said:

I am meh on this because you think people who are anti gase are saying he should be winning...we are not we are saying he should be coaching and making adjustments to help the qb and better play calling short drops quick slants ect... do let the kid have too many choices he has to get rid of the ball Gase has not done that from what I can see Gase has not really coached to anyone's strengths. We are not saying win but coach and plan to be competitive. he has not. 

If this was your job and you had 4 bad performances over a month and cost the team money (that is what is happening when fans turn off and tune out stop by merch ect) how long would you expect to have it?  

Go back and watch the film from the last 3 games. Tell me how many times he made Falk take a 7 step drop and throw the ball down the field. The answer is very few. Falk can not process defenses quickly enough to know where to go with the ball if his 1st read is covered. Thus you saw a ton of passes at or behind the line of scrimmage. And when they tried to throw it down field either the line couldn't block long enough or Falk held onto the ball too long. Gase was doing what you wanted except for not running slants. When you don't trust your QB you tend to not call plays that call for him to throw into traffic in the middle of the field. This is really not hard to understand.

Trevor Semian = Backup
Luke Falk = Pastry Chef
Yes, it sucks.  But it's the way it is in the NFL.  If you lose QB1 and QB2, you are screwed.
SAR I

I was actually referring to Pittsburgh coming back to almost win with QB3 Devin Hodges who is an undrafted rookie. He comes in and goes 7/9 for 68 yards. Who? We miss on our high draft picks consistently (except Sam) and don’t ever really seem to get any surprise value at the bottom. I agree with you SAR that it ain’t the coaching so much at it is the inability to consistently get NFL caliber players on the roster. Even our free agent signings tend to decline once signed. Trumaine and Khalil. They are shells of what their previously established bodies of work would suggest. It has to be front office/scouting that is the problem, not coaching.
  • Upvote 2

I don't want Gregg Williams worrying about the whole team.  I want him running the Defense.

The Jets have screwed this up time after time....they put Coordinators in the HC spot and it doesn't work.  I would have loved Rex Ryan as DC, I would even take Bowles as DC.....but the Jets hire these guys as Head Coaches.  Big mistake.

Bowles had a crappy D when he was the HC.  The Tampa D is looking better in 2019 vs. 2018, and I think Bowles only focusing on D is a big part of it.

Gregg has done a great job this year....and I think a lot of it is because he's right in his wheelhouse and 100% focused on running the D.  Let's not allow our severe disappointment in Gase as HC cloud our judgement on what type of person the next HC should be.

JMHO.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I don't want Gregg Williams worrying about the whole team.  I want him running the Defense.

The Jets have screwed this up time after time....they put Coordinators in the HC spot and it doesn't work.  I would have loved Rex Ryan as DC, I would even take Bowles as DC.....but the Jets hire these guys as Head Coaches.  Big mistake.

Bowles had a crappy D when he was the HC.  The Tampa D is looking better in 2019 vs. 2018, and I think Bowles only focusing on D is a big part of it.

Gregg has done a great job this year....and I think a lot of it is because he's right in his wheelhouse and 100% focused on running the D.  Let's not allow our severe disappointment in Gase as HC cloud our judgement on what type of person the next HC should be.

JMHO.

Why does this keep being said as if it's true?  Tampa's defense is horrendous.   In 4 contests, they've held their opponent under 30 points, once.  The Panthers when Cam got hurt.  Otherwise, 31, 14, 32, 40, 31.  That's actually, not playing defense at all basically.  lol

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Why does this keep being said as if it's true?  Tampa's defense is horrendous.   In 4 contests, they've held their opponent under 30 points, once.  The Panthers when Cam got hurt.  Otherwise, 31, 14, 32, 40, 31.  That's actually, not playing defense at all basically.  lol

the Bucs are somehow the #1 blitzing defense in the league and whoever has that title gets a reputation in the media for being a defensive genius

it's not necessarily that they have the best D but how much they are doing with what they have 

at least before last week 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

I didn't say it was good.  I said it was better this year than last year and I believe that.

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the Bucs are somehow the #1 blitzing defense in the league and whoever has that title gets a reputation in the media for being a defensive genius

it's not necessarily that they have the best D but how much they are doing with what they have 

at least before last week 

29th in points, 26th in yards.  2-3. Doesnt sound like it's working.

any way you want to cut  or peel the responsibility lies with gase, 3 rd string qbs that he brought with him from Miami and he says knows the offense better then anyone else should be able to execute a set amount of plays, you as a coach find those plays and put in the gmae plan or you find someone who can. He has had 2 yrs o evaluate this kid and the excuse is the qb cant play? so what was the excuse the first game? what is going to be the excuse the next few weeks? Sorry but this does not fly and it is not to hard to understand if you perform poorly you either need to adjust or get replaced. The same goes for everyone.

Gase has not performed as the offensive Guru people were calling him.  If he did we would have more then 14 points in 16 quarters of football.

Holding the coach responsible for this under performance is a given when you look back at his last yr in Miami and his first 4 games here.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, BloodGreen said:

I was actually referring to Pittsburgh coming back to almost win with QB3 Devin Hodges who is an undrafted rookie. He comes in and goes 7/9 for 68 yards. Who? We miss on our high draft picks consistently (except Sam) and don’t ever really seem to get any surprise value at the bottom. I agree with you SAR that it ain’t the coaching so much at it is the inability to consistently get NFL caliber players on the roster. Even our free agent signings tend to decline once signed. Trumaine and Khalil. They are shells of what their previously established bodies of work would suggest. It has to be front office/scouting that is the problem, not coaching.

Good post, spot on.  We've had a bad stretch of drafting/scouting and are trying to jump start the rebuild with quality younger talent.

We need another draft and FA period to be taken seriously as a contender.  Excited about Joe Douglas' capabilities.  The goal this year is to be a 6-7 win team, maybe get hot and eke out some playoff experience, but get some meaningful games in December.

SAR I

On 10/8/2019 at 3:46 AM, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Look and again I think this thread is spot on. G Williams should take Gase job because Gase is terrible as a head coach and seeing him call plays you see he is terrible off coordinator too.

This is not really a debate it is obvious and Greg Williams is the guy to right the ship. Do it now. Don't waste time. Let him salvage and coach up our offense. Let Joe d give him some pieces and draft to get us going. But we could and should be at least competitive. The fact we are not is solely on cosching. Our def is competitive and in short burst dominant on plays. The offense is niether.

Fire Gase and give the job to an actual good coach. The fact that g Williams fits well with ny and is a little tough all the better.

There only think in this thread that is not debatable is that you dodged my original reply to you.

• Thumb Down 1

28 minutes ago, choon328 said:

There only think in this thread that is not debatable is that you dodged my original reply to you.

I didn't Dodge anything. The whole Falk, an actual NFL qtrback, is not a NFL qtrback thing and your opinion about it's not fair to judge an offense based on results or every game playes so far his season despite Gase has called all the plays and they all sucked is silly.

Of course we can judge it

Every team, hell every fan in the league can call out our plays presnap. And they do. It's ridiculous. Just like your original comment.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

9 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I didn't Dodge anything. The whole Falk, an actual NFL qtrback, is not a NFL qtrback thing and your opinion about it's not fair to judge an offense based on results or every game playes so far his season despite Gase has called all the plays and they all sucked is silly.

Of course we can judge it

Every team, hell every fan in the league can call out our plays presnap. And they do. It's ridiculous. Just like your original comment.

Yeah...that isn't what I'm talking about. Here was my reply to one of your posts:

"Explain to me how a Gregg Williams run team would've made this team better with this offensive line and Luke Falk at QB. Also while paying against 3 teams with a combined record of 12-3 who also happen to have the 1st, 10th and 12th rated defenses. Please explain that to me"

The record was actually 10-4 at the time not 12-3.  I'd love to hear your response.

5 hours ago, choon328 said:

Yeah...that isn't what I'm talking about. Here was my reply to one of your posts:

"Explain to me how a Gregg Williams run team would've made this team better with this offensive line and Luke Falk at QB. Also while paying against 3 teams with a combined record of 12-3 who also happen to have the 1st, 10th and 12th rated defenses. Please explain that to me"

The record was actually 10-4 at the time not 12-3.  I'd love to hear your response.

It helps if you are specific, but I'm pretty sure you just are not reading what i wrote because you dont agree with it. Fine.

Here you go...

G Williams already did it with an under performing coach on the browns last year. He game planed to take advantage of our strengths and minimize our weaknesses - i.e. shotgun for crappy line etc. I mean I know it is not as simple as that but Gase doesn't even do that.

Anyway Falk , line, injury whatever G Williams you know will put together a game plan to give us best chance of winning by coaching oru guys up, just look at Browns last year  to this year. They picked the wrong coach and without g williams baker mayfeild is a laughing stock. Our def has no CB or other peices yet we still have our guys at least competitive. The O side of the ball is a joke under gase, but again i think since he did it before and in this exact situation - he was successful turning around a team but building a plan specific to what we have. I think Gase has proven he is uncapable.

To your second point, our off gave the other team short field all night. Even a struggling Off would given us a chance. Who knows what would have happen exactly but I would bet on a team capable of getting first downs vs our gase cant get 1st down gameplans. And Its not like oh there was a drop or some player didnt execute. WE LITERALLY COACHED OUR SELVES OUT OF EVEN HAVING  A CHANCE TO WIN. His game plans suck.

I think it is pretty clear actually.

Gase beat the Jets twice last year. And that was with that scrub Tannehill. Sam’s been hurt all year. He wasn’t himself even in the opener. Regardless of if first half record which I think will be 0-7, we should rebound in 2nd half and win a few games. The last 9 games should be a much better sample of what Gase can do. If he bombs, he’s done. Jets need to go at least 5-4 in this last 9. Easily attainable considering the comp is on level with us. 

4 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

It helps if you are specific, but I'm pretty sure you just are not reading what i wrote because you dont agree with it. Fine.

Here you go...

G Williams already did it with an under performing coach on the browns last year. He game planed to take advantage of our strengths and minimize our weaknesses - i.e. shotgun for crappy line etc. I mean I know it is not as simple as that but Gase doesn't even do that.

Anyway Falk , line, injury whatever G Williams you know will put together a game plan to give us best chance of winning by coaching oru guys up, just look at Browns last year  to this year. They picked the wrong coach and without g williams baker mayfeild is a laughing stock. Our def has no CB or other peices yet we still have our guys at least competitive. The O side of the ball is a joke under gase, but again i think since he did it before and in this exact situation - he was successful turning around a team but building a plan specific to what we have. I think Gase has proven he is uncapable.

To your second point, our off gave the other team short field all night. Even a struggling Off would given us a chance. Who knows what would have happen exactly but I would bet on a team capable of getting first downs vs our gase cant get 1st down gameplans. And Its not like oh there was a drop or some player didnt execute. WE LITERALLY COACHED OUR SELVES OUT OF EVEN HAVING  A CHANCE TO WIN. His game plans suck.

I think it is pretty clear actually.

What a ridiculous argument. Gregg Williams hasn't created an offensive gameplan in his career. Freddie Kitchens was responsible for the offense after Williams took over last year. Why do you think Kitchens got the job over Williams? 

And no offense but it's really hard to follow what you wrote with all of the gibberish, poor grammar and misspellings. Again, no offense.

27 minutes ago, SAR I said:

So how did that extra week of Eagles reps work out for Sam Darnold against the Cowboys?

Such bad coaching.  Al those reps that could have gone to Luke Falk.

SAR I

I didn't have an issue with it. I said then that all the reps in the world wouldn't have helped Falk.

• 3 weeks later...