Quinnen Williams

26 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Another good, but not elite, player taken in the top 10.  

Please do better at this, Joe Douglas.  

This is what worries me about Quinnen Williams. I don't want to crap on the guy until we see him play more but once again the Jets used a premium draft pick, and passed on an edge rusher to take an interior player who is going to have to be something similar to Aaron Donald to justify being picked 3rd overall. 

If he's really good against the run and average at getting to the QB, it's a bad pick IMO. The guy needs to be a playmaker. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

uh..have you watched the motherfcker since we drafted him??????

On SNY pregame yesterday, they do the over/under thingy. Jonah asks Ray and Bart over/under 3 tackles for Leo? Ray just says "Who?" and doesn't answer. Bart says "3 tackles, That's his ceiling?" and says that's disrespectful. 

Well he was under. LOL

• Upvote 1

qwilliams is just another one of those jets players who get grief simply because of their draft position versus their playing position.  he did well against the eagles and needs to be judged against the other defensive tackles in the league.  and with regard to his draft position, mac isn't doing the drafting anymore.  we'll see if douglas can do better.

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I know, I know, he sucks, the team sucks, everyone sucks except Ed Oliver, but I thought he was pretty damn good yesterday.

I counted 4 QB pressures for him.  Thought he held up well against the run too, but had a few miscues.

Not bad against an OL as good against the Eagles.

Defense isn't the problem. Q will learn. 

14 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

This is what worries me about Quinnen Williams. I don't want to crap on the guy until we see him play more but once again the Jets used a premium draft pick, and passed on an edge rusher to take an interior player who is going to have to be something similar to Aaron Donald to justify being picked 3rd overall. 

If he's really good against the run and average at getting to the QB, it's a bad pick IMO. The guy needs to be a playmaker. 

Agreed.  Where he was drafted is not the kid's fault, though, and I'm rooting for him. I also think a trade down would have been preferable, but oh well.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TeddEY said:

You don't need to spend the #3 overall pick on a guy who's job it is to get double teams.

Though, I'm still hopeful he can be more than that.

Look you expect to get an impact player at 3. But it often doesn’t work out that way. I don’t kill the drafter if the guy ends up being good not great. If they’re a bust that’s another story. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look you expect to get an impact player at 3. But if often doesn’t work out that way. I don’t kill the drafter if the guy ends up being good not great. 

And this is why Jets fans deserve what they get.  No consideration to opportunity cost. 

It's easy to draft good players in the Top 10.  Once in a while you need to draft a game-changer.  It's incredibly frustrating to suck as bad as we have this decade and not come out of it with any game-changing players.  

The GM is gone so I guess we can't complain anymore.  But it is indeed a bad thing when you pick a "good" rather than potentially great player at # 3, and its bad every single time it happens.  

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

If they’re a bust that’s another story. 

At least when the player is a bust, the GM was taking a big swing. 

I'd rather go after the premium positions like LT, EDGE and CB and miss than take a nice, safe interior lineman.  We drafted several "good" players in the top 10 and where did that leave us?  In the exact same place we'd be if we took big swings and missed.  

Your GM cannot be a giant pu$$y if you want to move the needle on your franchise's future success.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And this is why Jets fans deserve what they get.  No consideration to opportunity cost. 

It's easy to draft good players in the Top 10.  Once in a while you need to draft a game-changer.  It's incredibly frustrating to suck as bad as we have this decade and not come out of it with any game-changing players.  

The GM is gone so I guess we can't complain anymore.  But it is indeed a bad thing when you pick a "good" rather than potentially great player at # 3, and its bad every single time it happens.  

Yup, we’ve been terrible for years and the only thing we have to show for it is Typhoid Mary might be good.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

He did not dominate the game. I saw him get some pressure. Invisible might be too strong but he was not winning his matchups most of the time. 

This.  I saw him get stoned walled and legit almost bent backward numerous times.  Not the end of the world but not the force we were sold he'd be.  Waaaayyyy to soft for a player that big. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Not the end of the world but not the force we were sold he'd be.  

This sentence is true about Leonard Williams, Jamal Adams and now Quinnen Williams.  Three players who "aren't the problem" but also aren't part of the solution.  

But at least Macc "hit" on his 1st rounders right?  Anyone heard from Darron Lee, while I'm thinking about it?

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Well to be fair LW is a below average athlete compared to NFL peers. So what looks like dogging could just be the best he's capable of

Terrible draft pick

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This sentence is true about Leonard Williams, Jamal Adams and now Quinnen Williams.  Three players who "aren't the problem" but also aren't part of the solution.  

But at least Macc "hit" on his 1st rounders right?  Anyone heard from Darron Lee, while I'm thinking about it?

He's occasionally tackles some guys here and there, similar to the dudes you just listed. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Yup and nothing tells me he has been 'purposefully dogging it for 3 years'. You have to be a complete nut job to truly believe that. The dude did not miss a single game. Never been disliked in the locker room or accused by teammates for not putting in the work. Never.  

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look you expect to get an impact player at 3. But if often doesn’t work out that way. I don’t kill the drafter if the guy ends up being good not great. If they’re a bust that’s another story. 

You do kill the drafter when they pick a "good" player in the top 6 at a non premium position. A good edge rusher is far more valuable and far harder to find than a good interior dl or box safety

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Yup and nothing tells me he has been 'purposefully dogging it for 3 years'. You have to be a complete nut job to truly believe that. The dude did not miss a single game. Never been disliked in the locker room or accused by teammates for not putting in the work. Never.  

I’m interested in this “nut job” thing... could you dig up your past takes on Hackenberg and Maccagnan for me?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

This.  I saw him get stoned walled and legit almost bent backward numerous times.  Not the end of the world but not the force we were sold he'd be.  Waaaayyyy to soft for a player that big. 

Saw the same. Not much of a motor either.

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I know, I know, he sucks, the team sucks, everyone sucks except Ed Oliver, but I thought he was pretty damn good yesterday.

I counted 4 QB pressures for him.  Thought he held up well against the run too, but had a few miscues.

Not bad against an OL as good against the Eagles.

He was pushing people around.  Starting with a pro bowler who had no choice but to hold him.  And who he bull rushed him into Wentz and helped get a sack  

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

SUPER BOWL

SB?

Makes more sense than deciding what he is after less than a games worth of playing time.  

Typical thread based on nothing really, far too soon.  Now Oliver, he’s not a non premium position at the same spot, no sacks, 4 tackles in his first games but a board favorite for resembling A Donald who also plays a non premium position?

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

IMO he's powerful and will get better. But probably isn't elite. He might turn out to be a good player and if healthy a ten year starter. He's not a Gholston. 

Non-elite DT's are a dime-a-dozen.  You can pick those guys up in bunches in the 3rd, 4th and 5th round.  You don't take a DT at 3 overall unless he's going to be truly disrupting.  QW was never going to be that guy.  I'm sure he'll be a fine player but it was a bad pick.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He was pushing people around.  Starting with a pro bowler who had no choice but to hold him.  And who he bull rushed him into Wentz and helped get a sack  

Nah, don't bother, nut.

Most of the board has decreed, in their infinite wisdom, he's at best a jag, most probably a bust 4 games into his career. Because Leo.

They know all. Much more then "the experts who actually do the rating players for a living" thing, who had him as a top 3 prospect in this draft. But hey, these guys know better. Already. We should listen.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Non-elite DT's are a dime-a-dozen.  You can pick those guys up in bunches in the 3rd, 4th and 5th round.  You don't take a DT at 3 overall unless he's going to be truly disrupting.  QW was never going to be that guy.  I'm sure he'll be a fine player but it was a bad pick.

This entire roster is filled mostly with bad players, led by a few good players who were bad picks.  

The only "good picks" over the last 5 years were Darnold (a pick which a blind man could have made), Jordan Jenkins and Chris Herndon.  Maybe Blake Cashman. That's it.  Pathetic.  

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Nah, don't bother, nut.

Most of the board has decreed, in their infinite wisdom, he's at best a jag, most probably a bust 4 games into his career. Because Leo.

They know all. Much more then "the experts who actually do the rating players for a living" thing, who had him as a top 3 prospect in this draft, but these guys know better. We should listen.

Remember when Leo and Jamal Adams were the best players in the draft too?  

Who gives a flying f**k what the "experts" think.  They're paid to blurt stupid opinions with zero accountability when they get things wrong.  GM's are paid handsomely to have foresight and be significantly smarter than those guys, knowing their jobs are constantly on the line. 

Hence why drafts end up going wildly different than the "experts" think it will, no matter how well connected they claim to be.  

• Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Remember when Leo and Jamal Adams were the best players in the draft too?  

Who gives a flying f**k what the "experts" think.  They're paid to blurt stupid opinions with zero accountability when they get things wrong.  GM's are paid handsomely to have foresight and be significantly smarter than those guys, knowing their jobs are constantly on the line. 

Hence why drafts end up going wildly different than the "experts" think it will, no matter how well connected they claim to be.  

Look, I'm not saying players don't disappoint (Leo), or bust, but can we give QW more then 4 games into the season before we decide what he's going to be?

At this point nobody has a clue what he'll be. He could be Aaron Donald, he could be terrible. Most likely he's going to be closer to the former then the latter, but can we at least wait a few minutes and see before we go all JN on him? 

4 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Look, I'm not saying players don't disappoint (Leo), or bust, but can we give QW more then 4 games into the season before we decide what he's going to be?

At this point nobody has a clue what he'll be. He could be Aaron Donald, he could be terrible. Most likely he's going to be closer to the former then the latter, but can we at least wait a few minutes and see before we go all JN on him? 

See, that's the part I take issue with.  We have his college tape.  We have his measurables.  We have practice reports.  We don't have much NFL tape, but we've seen a bit of what type of player he is.

With all that evidence, we KNOW he's not going to be the next Aaron Donald.  Not a chance in hell.  And we knew that before he was drafted too.  Why?  Because athleticism matters when it comes to pass-rushing DT's.  Aaron Donald was off the charts in that area before he played a single NFL down.  Quinnen is merely an above average athlete, and everything we're seeing out of him so far suggest he's a lot closer to Leonard Williams than he is Aaron Donald.

And this is also why I wanted to trade down and/or take Ed Oliver.  Because Oliver has off the charts measurables.  Thus, he has a shot to be the next Donald.  Quinnen doesn't.  And like I said, that stuff matters.  If you're not athletic, you'll end up just another good DT.  You won't be a game changer.  We've seen that time and again in this league.  We know what type of player Quinnen can be and, more importantly, what he can't be.  He'll never be a top-end pass-rushing DT in this league.