Quinnen Williams

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Fear and Loathing with Paradis and Shane. Where standards and sobriety don’t exist. 

This is what I offer you.  

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Smells like sex in here 

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

And worth every penny.

This is how 14 got mono, isn't it?

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes we do.  You can watch him play.  

He's simply not explosive enough.  You can see it already, he hasn't shown the burst to be able to put a consistent pressure on the QB up the middle.  

It's very hard to do, which is why so few people can do it. 

I think he'll be a solid player but not a person that will disrupt games - which is what you expect from a 3rd pick DT overall. 

I think burst is overrated by a lot of people.  Quickness at this position is more important.  

5 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

While Jets fans are busy discussing their #bestplayerinthedraft DT whiffing badly on a sack and being largely invisible for most of the game yesterday, Josh Allen has 3 sacks and multiple tackles for loss in 5 games to start his career in Jacksonville.  Thanks Mac!  Didn't see this one coming at all.

Kind of hard to sack a QB from the trainers room

11 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I don't want to bash him because he's only played 1 full game. But he was invisible out there for most of the day. yet again the Jets passed on an edge rusher in Josh Allen to take an interior lineman who they are trying to tell us can generate pressure on the QB. They did this with Leonard Williams and they did it again with Quinnen. It's only 1 game but he better be able to do what they told us he can do. 

Yes, the Jets passed on an edge rusher. It'd be a waste anyway...

Picking a edge rusher when you have a) an underperforming NT that is coming up on the end of his rookie deal, and b) you don't have any interior defensive presence.

Edge rushers come every year. you need to shore up inside first.

It's like picking a QB when you have the world's worst OL. It's a waste...

• WTF? 1

8 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Yes, the Jets passed on an edge rusher. It'd be a waste anyway...

Picking a edge rusher when you have a) an underperforming NT that is coming up on the end of his rookie deal, and b) you don't have any interior defensive presence.

Edge rushers come every year. you need to shore up inside first.

It's like picking a QB when you have the world's worst OL. It's a waste...

Edge rushers come every year and yet we never have one. We've been shoring up the inside for years and years. The idea that Allen would be a waste without another inside player is incorrect. 

It's also about value. It's much easier to find interior defenders than it is to find ones who can play on the edge at a high level. 

I thought QW had a decent game in his first game back this week.  He was pushing some pocket on many plays, flushed Wentz out a couple times, and I think he deflected a pass or pushed the OLinemen back into Wentz on a play.  I want sacks, fumbles, TFLs, etc. too but I'm willing to take baby steps against a team that was taking zero chances against the Jets because they didn't really have to.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I thought QW had a decent game in his first game back this week.  He was pushing some pocket on many plays, flushed Wentz out a couple times, and I think he deflected a pass or pushed the OLinemen back into Wentz on a play.  I want sacks, fumbles, TFLs, etc. too but I'm willing to take baby steps against a team that was taking zero chances against the Jets because they didn't really have to.

Incredible how Quinnen is getting barbecued by jets fans 

He and Oliver are going to end up being the best defensive players in this draft.  

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Edge rushers come every year and yet we never have one. We've been shoring up the inside for years and years. The idea that Allen would be a waste without another inside player is incorrect. 

It's also about value. It's much easier to find interior defenders than it is to find ones who can play on the edge at a high level. 

There is much truth to what you say.

That said, out of all the ills on this team, can you even say edge rusher is in the top 5? My Top five:

1. OL
  2. OL
  3. CB
  4. CB
  5. WR

Edge rusher is a luxury, a vanity. When you have the rest of the puzzle. The best way to get to Brady? A-Gap pressure. I'd love an edge rusher. But I'd love an effective OL before anything I can get from existing personnel and scheme.

14 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Far too early to judge Quinnen.  I still think he’ll be a beast at some point down the road 

He could turn out to be a beast and a fan favorite but I honestly feel like being drafted that high to essentially replace another high pick/busted played at that position (none of which is his fault) is always going to end up following him around, at least with Jets fans anyhow. 

3 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

And x100 in 3-4 fronts. Our best defenses had Mike Devito anchoring the dline and our best dlineman last year was Henry Anderson. Its just not a position that seems nessesary to spend top resources on, with picks or cap space. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, phill1c said:

There is much truth to what you say.

That said, out of all the ills on this team, can you even say edge rusher is in the top 5? My Top five:

1. OL
  2. OL
  3. CB
  4. CB
  5. WR

Edge rusher is a luxury, a vanity. When you have the rest of the puzzle. The best way to get to Brady? A-Gap pressure. I'd love an edge rusher. But I'd love an effective OL before anything I can get from existing personnel and scheme.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you said about the teams overall needs or the best way to attack Brady. There's a ton of holes on this team. I just would have took the edge rusher instead of the interior defender in this case. I'm also trying to be fair with Quinnen Williams, he's only played 1 full game. I'm just concerned that we're going to have another good but not great interior defensive lineman when we could have taken a shot on somebody at a position we haven't been able to fill since we traded John Abraham. 

7 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

He could turn out to be a beast and a fan favorite but I honestly feel like being drafted that high to essentially replace another high pick/busted played at that position (none of which is his fault) is always going to end up following him around, at least with Jets fans anyhow. 

I like QW as a person and as a player.  But his scouting was inherently flawed.  He was a big kid playing against OL who are now repo men and playing with other 5 star recruits and coached by the greatest coach in college football history.   Good college DL often underperform in the NFL because of the jump in competition.  

DL who achieved elite status in the NFL possessed extreme athleticism.  QW has some of this, but now he is just too fat.   Look at JJWatt, or Donald, or even Ed Oliver.  

I think Mac was confused when drafting QW but I don’t think in the long-term Douglas or GW are building a 3-4 team.  So you can justify not taking Josh Allen the OLB.   So Ferrell was maybe the pick there.  I think QW ends up ok and is the mainstay on the Jets DL on a rookie salary.   He should play next to someone like Foley or Shepherd and the Jets will pay FAs to play DE and only pay Mosley at LB.   After his rookie deal we will see.   Maybe he gets a contract like Grady Jarrett.  Maybe he gets short-term deals like SR.  

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

I like QW as a person and as a player.  But his scouting was inherently flawed.  He was a big kid playing against OL who are now repo men and playing with other 5 star recruits and coached by the greatest coach in college football history.   Good college DL often underperform in the NFL because of the jump in competition.  

DL who achieved elite status in the NFL possessed extreme athleticism.  QW has some of this, but now he is just too fat.   Look at JJWatt, or Donald, or even Ed Oliver.  

I think Mac was confused when drafting QW but I don’t think in the long-term Douglas or GW are building a 3-4 team.  So you can justify not taking Josh Allen the OLB.   So Ferrell was maybe the pick there.  I think QW ends up ok and is the mainstay on the Jets DL on a rookie salary.   He should play next to someone like Foley or Shepherd and the Jets will pay FAs to play DE and only pay Mosley at LB.   After his rookie deal we will see.   Maybe he gets a contract like Grady Jarrett.  Maybe he gets short-term deals like SR.  

How are we reaching all these conclusions based on one game?   We sure have a lot of experts around here.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

He's played 1 game.  I don't think he leads the league in anything. 

Listen that’s the point, some media tweeter account is telling me this guy can play, by pushing the pile on 3rd and forever.

If you want impact check Nick Bosa V Browns.

9 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

THAT's the problem.  It will be the comps behind his draft position and the linkage to an underperforming Leo Williams.  The kid deserves a clean slate.  He won't get one on this forum from many people unfortunately.  There are a LOT of long memories here and this kid will be asked to make up for everything Jets DLinemen have done bad for 50 years including Mark Gastineau's late hit on Bernie Kosar.

17 hours ago, rammagen said:

actually 3 plays in parts of 1 full game and 1/2 of another, Buffalo he ran over the center and stuffed a run, yesterday missed sack and caused a holding call. Those are flashes enough to say the jury is out

He didn't get drafted at #3 to be a run stuffer and get close to getting sacks. Ill grating him based on his draft slot and the production it warrants.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

33 minutes ago, choon328 said:

He didn't get drafted at #3 to be a run stuffer and get close to getting sacks. Ill grating him based on his draft slot and the production it warrants.  

Blame the team not the player, I think the kid will be fine. It is about time they drafted someone who has impact after how many times I am sure you saw this above QW is least of issues on this team. I would have traded down for more picks myself ....

20 hours ago, T0mShane said:

“Best Player In the draft is simply lazy code for “safest pick.” The “draft expert” pool is now flooded with 22 year-old shut-ins who get paid to blog about this crap, and they all like to gin up hot takes about certain players, which then gets into the bloodstream and then it becomes the conventional wisdom that, like, Daniel Jones has no arm, or that Leonard Williams is Reggie White. The draftnik community straight up fanned on Aaron Donald in the first place, so whenever you see that comp, realize that it’s just overcorrection. McShay and Matt Miller gave birth to these dopes, which has ruined the entire industry.

Bit is way older than 22.

So much miss placed anger in this thread.

For those of you that were sold on Williams being the next Donald, go stick your head in the toilet for being that gullible. For the rest of us; Williams production this far is secondary to the fact that he’s not a tackle, or guard or centre or receiver or pass rusher. 

He should’ve never been in the conversation to start with.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

12 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

THAT's the problem.  It will be the comps behind his draft position and the linkage to an underperforming Leo Williams.  The kid deserves a clean slate.  He won't get one on this forum from many people unfortunately.  There are a LOT of long memories here and this kid will be asked to make up for everything Jets DLinemen have done bad for 50 years including Mark Gastineau's late hit on Bernie Kosar.

Outside of him turning into a dominating, 10 sack, Watt/Donald type of player, he is always going to have a cloud over him with this fan base. imo anyway. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

Outside of him turning into a dominating, 10 sack, Watt/Donald type of player, he is always going to have a cloud over him with this fan base. imo anyway. 

Because when you draft someone at #3 overall your expected to produce day 1. I never wanted Q, because taking a dt at 3 is really stupid. Double digits sacks are rare for Dts. His production will never live up to the draft position. 

Edit to add that I am rooting for him and think he can be good. Just didn't like him at 3

• Sympathy 1

On 10/7/2019 at 5:10 PM, joewilly12 said:

Quinnen Williams aka Baby Huey needs to step it up a few notches this is the NFL not Alabama. 

To be fair, Quinnen Williams needs just one more sack to tie Aaron Donald this season.

(In other words, let's not go crazy about a rookie's performance so far on a bad team where he's been limited due to injury.)

• Sympathy 1