Sign in to follow this  
SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN

Has anyone seen or heard from Joe Douglas ?

3 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

dude is like, "I didn't build this sh*t, see ya next year"

and I don't blame the guy.

Weak and typical. Everyone knows he didnt build the roster. Season has been a total disaster so far- some sense of direction and visibility from the top wouldnt hurt. Gase on the ground taking the bullets while the top office has gone MIA since their 3 month new uniforms victory lap.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Do the other 31 NFL GMs hold weekly pressers?  or even monthly?

He's talked to the press a few times prior to the season.  What can he say now?  He can't talk about players under contract.

What sense direction? The teams starting QB got mono..Their b/u broke his ankle..Starting TE was suspended. One of his D captains pulled a hammy week 1.  What is it that you want to hear?

I could be wrong, but I think NFL GMs are required to hold 1 mid-season presser.

It's the HCs job to take the weekly bullets.  

With how the season has started (bizarre coupled with unwatchable) the new GM who came in with much fanfare, and a large contract...showing some visibility would probably be good PR. I realize it’s not required but the front office disappearing till January when the on the field product has been terrible is weak. Especially considering the off-season parade of the new uniforms. Hearing some words of wisdom from the hire “the Jets got right” during turmoil again would be a layup PR wise.

Im afraid this turns into another Maccagan situation where he only makes himself available during the mid season presser and around the draft while giving non answers aka business as usual for the Jets.

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

what do you specifically want him to say?

Anything would be a start.

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I want an apology 

More or less I think leaders get out ahead of these things. 0-4 with an unwatchable product and the QB going down in the most bizarre fashion ever is something to get out in front of. Just feels like Gase sees himself as the "I coach the 53 I have" and nothing more while Douglas "picks the 53" and talks twice a year and nothing beyond that. There's more to running a team than this siloe'd approach the Jets have had forever. I'm assuming this stems from ownership.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

smart man.

that's why he's in the business and you're working the night shift at Walmart.

tenor.png

26 minutes ago, C Mart said:

His hire, mid-June, was lauded by everyone in the know!  He spoke then and during TC. But now you (and other knowledgeable FB fans here) need to hear from him after 4 games, when they didn't have their starting QB for 3 (not 100% for the other) and their starting LB (D capt) out since 3rd Qtr of week 1?  Seriously?  JC stevie wonder can see they haven't been good enough.  

So yeah, a football lifer, lauded by all, trained under Ozzie Newsome, Howard Roseman and their regimes now must tell fans, "we must fix this".   

Some would complain about that and tell him to not insult our intelligence. 

Good points all around. You're probably right. However, an unplanned appearance from the new GM I think would give some hope that its going to be different this time. 

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'm with Cmart here.  He inherited this mess, Gase included.  No GM worth his salt would come out and apologize about what's happened.  It would honestly make me think less of him...pandering to a fanbase, etc.

And even if he did say it's going to be different this time, what does that mean?  Is he going to fire Gase if it's not?  Because I think that the fire Gase camp would hear it that way.  And then what if he doesnt?  I dont know.  Dont see much good that could come from addressing this mess right now.

When I say different, someone who is clearly in charge and holding the entire operation accountable. I mean I guess I'm more speaking towards CJ than Douglas. Staying behind the curtain like Maccagnan did bought him 4 years of relative coasting while Bowles got blamed for every minute detail that went wrong, which was unfair.

I hear your points on holding a presser etc. I'm wrong in that regard- that wont do anything. It's more the current structure I hope changes and I guess an unplanned appearance could lead us to believe it might be. JMO. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Aren't we all tired of talk?!? At least those of us who have been around for decades and have heard all the canned phrases?!?! 

I liked the hire. I'm hopeful this time the franchise finally got it right. But after all these years these guys all say the same thing. 

Same, I hope they got it right. But getting it right also involves the structure changing imo. Less to do with talking than it is new accountability. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Ok, so Douglas holds a press conference and says he’s disappointed in 0-4, but patience, and we have to play better, and the coaching staff is working day and night to get things going. What are the first five questions he gets? 

1. Some bull sh*t about his confidence level in Gase.

2. Some bullsh*t about not bringing in a better #3 QB.

3. Some bullsh*t trap question about Maccagnan’s draft record.

4. Some bullsh*t question about LeVeon Bell’s workload 

5. Another bullsh*t question about potentially firing Gase. 

Should the fan base be confident that Gase/Douglas is an improvement from Bowles/Mac? It’s early, but the structure/dynamic feels the same. 

35 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Could try giving them more then 5 games and see?

Jets have the national game this week on CBS. A sit down appearance with Boomer or whomever and some scripted questions wouldn’t hurt Jets PR at all. The mono situation is a big enough story to warrant it. Just saying since he’s been hired he’s been a ghost.

6 minutes ago, RobR said:

Apparently many people here can't grasp this fact. 

Is this written into the NFL's charter?

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Agree. There isn't much for him to say.

He could do the GM speak stuff "we evaluate every position every week" and "we're going to get it right" but the reality is he inherited this situation. What's he going to do? Take blame for a roster he didn't build? Trash Maccagnan? Bury Gase?

After the season is over he can give more candid thoughts and offer a plan for the future. But Week 5? Not much to talk about.

Of course there isn’t much to say about the current product- it stinks. No ones evaluating Douglas on this season.

To that point if we’re headed towards the two appearances a year act, like we had with maccagnan while saying nothing of significance then yeah I think the fanbase probably deserves a little bit more. Other GM’s around the league do give some more nuance as it relates to plan, roster build, scouting philosophy etc.Maccagnan was here for 4 seasons and did or said nothing of significance while being kept in hiding. Douglas peeping is head out wouldn’t hurt- the entire fanbase wanted the guy hired based on essentially a league wide endorsement. Maybe the organization should throw a bone and show off their biggest hire in years. Unless there’s just a collective agreement that the HC is the only one responsible for PR during the season.

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company