Has anyone seen or heard from Joe Douglas ?

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I want an apology 

More or less I think leaders get out ahead of these things. 0-4 with an unwatchable product and the QB going down in the most bizarre fashion ever is something to get out in front of. Just feels like Gase sees himself as the "I coach the 53 I have" and nothing more while Douglas "picks the 53" and talks twice a year and nothing beyond that. There's more to running a team than this siloe'd approach the Jets have had forever. I'm assuming this stems from ownership.

• Upvote 1

On 10/8/2019 at 7:53 AM, Matt39 said:

Weak and typical. Everyone knows he didnt build the roster. Season has been a total disaster so far- some sense of direction and visibility from the top wouldnt hurt. Gase on the ground taking the bullets while the top office has gone MIA since their 3 month new uniforms victory lap.

smart man.

that's why he's in the business and you're working the night shift at Walmart.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Indeed, we wouldn't want to slow down all those many moves he's making to improve the tea.......oh, right.

What exactly do you want him to do?  Sign AB?  Go full tank after 4 games? He choked on the kicker.  Otherwise he's trolling the waiver wire just like every other GM trying to polish turds into diamonds...

2 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

What exactly do you want him to do?  Sign AB?  Go full tank after 4 games? He choked on the kicker.  Otherwise he's trolling the waiver wire just like every other GM trying to polish turds into diamonds...

We have holes BIG HOLES on the OL at CB at TE need a halfway decent edge rusher he has done nothing. 

28 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

We have holes BIG HOLES on the OL at CB at TE need a halfway decent edge rusher he has done nothing. 

Nobody's disagreeing but he came in after the draft and after free agency.  Unless something falls in his lap like a Diggs or a Ramsey forcing themselves off their teams he's mostly stuck with picking off rejects from the waiver wire or high risk trades like Thomas.  JMO

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

33 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Saying the same thing in a lot of threads today....

I want him to look for O-line players who can play now to a basic, professional, level.  Be that via practice squad players.  Street FA's.  Existing backups (Harrison?).  Or via trades if the traded for asset can be here long-term.

If we drop out as early as it looks like we will, yes, I want him to consider moving short-term assets of limited use for draft capital.  In my view, that includes Bell (clearly a short-term asset), Adams (Safety is a luxury, not a vital need), Leo (bag of footballs maybe?), Mosely (maybe, he's only 27 and could be a long-term asset to build around like Darnold).  Stockpile picks, dump under-performing salary and play young existing players instead, reevaluate, all after we're eliminated.

And, as I sad earlier, face the public, the fans, and tell us he's going to fix this debacle.  No specifics needed, but a bit of face time acknowledging the poor product that is this team, with some assurance they have a plan forward, is the least I would expect of a new GM, especially once we're realistically eliminated.

• Sympathy 1

On 10/8/2019 at 10:53 AM, Matt39 said:

Weak and typical. Everyone knows he didnt build the roster. Season has been a total disaster so far- some sense of direction and visibility from the top wouldnt hurt. Gase on the ground taking the bullets while the top office has gone MIA since their 3 month new uniforms victory lap.

Most people have no clue, what so ever.

Lol.

Just now, Apache 51 said:

I bet you he is doing just that, frothing at the mouth. It can only get better couldn't of inherited much worse.

Ok understood but what is he doing to improve the roster there has to better players available out there on practice squads, free agents on the street guys. Our starting TE has 5 catches for 17 yards. 

On 10/8/2019 at 11:25 AM, bitonti said:

moves we can blame on Joe Douglas:

1 signing Ryan Kalil... luring this so called great player out of retirement and GIVING him he starting job due to contract. Kalil has played like crap for a month

2 not signing a place kicker. Hes the one who thought Vedvik was a good option for week 1 they lost by a point after a missed XP and FG. Sam Ficken or whatever is fine but he could have done better 

3 the Demarious Thomas trade what a BUM that dude dropped a sure TD last week because THE BALL HIT HIM IN THE HANDS! trading with BB is super dumb

he did make 1 good move the trade for the CB from Indy, that dude is scrappy. 

some Jets fans have this opinion that you can't judge the coach or GM because it's too soon 

that opinion is wrong

open your eyes there are moves or non moves being made all the time 

im not saying Douglas sucks (like Gase does) but he's not exactly set the world on fire 

1. Center was a need because it was ignored since Mangold,  has been a disaster since, and was neglected again in the draft. By the time Douglas was in charge, the pickings were slim. Khalil was a desperation move because of Mac.... next

2. Kicker was a hole because Mac thought letting a PB kicker walk for change with $100M of Cap in the pocket was a solid plan, and then Plan B had a melt down and then retired during the Preseason.  Was Vedshank a good idea? No, but Myers was. So, Mac again. Next...

3. Mac hated drafting Offensive players high in the draft, unless it's someone like Devin Smith, who was garbage. Stewart, Hansen, etc. All garbage. Even with a young QB drafted,  dude just had to go DT and then DE in the draft. So, once Enunwa went down, WR became a position of immediate need, and why not take a guy like D Thomas,  who is a veteran Big Target? Again, Macs failures led to Douglas having to dumpster dive. 

So yeah. Let's ignore the last 6 years of garbage GMing and blame Douglass 1.5 months into his first season.

Solid.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

On 10/8/2019 at 11:29 AM, Warfish said:

Hold a presser:

1. Say "I hear you fans, we're not good enough, and we're going to fix it.  No excuses, we must fix this".

How is that for a start?

Arent you the same guy that was whinging a couple of months ago about how you dont care about talk, dont care what the coaches or whoever had to say in press conferences, and just wanted them to do their jobs? That WAS you, right? I don't really care, but arguing with strangers on the internet is what we do now, so....

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Im not blaming JD for anything bad here im blaming him for not doing much of anything about it thats all. 

OL needs help any help. CB's on waivers we ignore. 

I would CUT all the JAG's and bring in young hungry players who want to play and make a name for themselves scour other teams practice squads see what they've got, cant be any worse than some of the players here. 

On 10/8/2019 at 10:51 AM, chirorob said:

What earth shattering moves do you want him to do right now?

The draft is over, FA is over.   He was hired after both of those.  The Jets have no great assets to sell off.  I guess he should have found a new left tackle and a premium QB in week 3, but he failed at both of those.

Here is the BEST part of all this.

We bitched at both Idzik and Mac when they made manic moves (PERCY HARVIN ANYONE), yet JD is not doing that, understanding this season is about seeing what he has where before allocating any resources to a position, and everyone is bitching that he isn't making panic moves.

You can't make this stuff up as a Jet fan!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, CanadaSteve said:

We bitched at both Idzik and Mac when they made manic moves (PERCY HARVIN ANYONE), yet JD is not doing that, understanding this season is about seeing what he has where before allocating any resources to a position, and everyone is bitching that he isn't making panic moves.

You can't make this stuff up as a Jet fan!

So instead you put your franchise QB on the field with all this sh*t and get him killed. 

On 10/8/2019 at 11:29 AM, Warfish said:

Hold a presser:

1. Say "I hear you fans, we're not good enough, and we're going to fix it.  No excuses, we must fix this".

How is that for a start?

His hire, mid-June, was lauded by everyone in the know!  He spoke then and during TC. But now you (and other knowledgeable FB fans here) need to hear from him after 4 games, when they didn't have their starting QB for 3 (not 100% for the other) and their starting LB (D capt) out since 3rd Qtr of week 1?  Seriously?  JC stevie wonder can see they haven't been good enough.  

So yeah, a football lifer, lauded by all, trained under Ozzie Newsome, Howard Roseman and their regimes now must tell fans, "we must fix this".   

Some would complain about that and tell him to not insult our intelligence. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, C Mart said:

His hire, mid-June, was lauded by everyone in the know!  He spoke then and during TC. But now you (and other knowledgeable FB fans here) need to hear from him after 4 games, when they didn't have their starting QB for 3 (not 100% for the other) and their starting LB (D capt) out since 3rd Qtr of week 1?  Seriously?  JC stevie wonder can see they haven't been good enough.  

So yeah, a football lifer, lauded by all, trained under Ozzie Newsome, Howard Roseman and their regimes now must tell fans, "we must fix this".   

Of all the PR we do get, this kind of PR is the kind I like.  Owning it.  /shrug, you're not wrong per se.  

3 hours ago, FlightBoyz said:

If the Jets get to 0-6 which unfortunately is more than likely going to happen. That's when i expect the fire sale to happen & for Douglas to get the ball rolling & start looking to next year. 

I would imagine that they look ahead for possibilities all the time, I would, wouldn't you?

26 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Good points all around. You're probably right. However, an unplanned appearance from the new GM I think would give some hope that its going to be different this time. 

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Good points all around. You're probably right. However, an unplanned appearance from the new GM I think would give some hope that its going to be different this time. 

I'm with Cmart here.  He inherited this mess, Gase included.  No GM worth his salt would come out and apologize about what's happened.  It would honestly make me think less of him...pandering to a fanbase, etc.

And even if he did say it's going to be different this time, what does that mean?  Is he going to fire Gase if it's not?  Because I think that the fire Gase camp would hear it that way.  And then what if he doesnt?  I dont know.  Dont see much good that could come from addressing this mess right now.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Aren't we all tired of talk?!? At least those of us who have been around for decades and have heard all the canned phrases?!?! 

I liked the hire. I'm hopeful this time the franchise finally got it right. But after all these years these guys all say the same thing. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'm with Cmart here.  He inherited this mess, Gase included.  No GM worth his salt would come out and apologize about what's happened.  It would honestly make me think less of him...pandering to a fanbase, etc.

And even if he did say it's going to be different this time, what does that mean?  Is he going to fire Gase if it's not?  Because I think that the fire Gase camp would hear it that way.  And then what if he doesnt?  I dont know.  Dont see much good that could come from addressing this mess right now.

When I say different, someone who is clearly in charge and holding the entire operation accountable. I mean I guess I'm more speaking towards CJ than Douglas. Staying behind the curtain like Maccagnan did bought him 4 years of relative coasting while Bowles got blamed for every minute detail that went wrong, which was unfair.

I hear your points on holding a presser etc. I'm wrong in that regard- that wont do anything. It's more the current structure I hope changes and I guess an unplanned appearance could lead us to believe it might be. JMO. 

• Upvote 1