Not Mafia 1: The Dungeon of Dread

You allow Spoots plea to convince you. The two of you creep away down the corridor. Thought you pretend it is all for the halfling's sake, you are secretly relieved you did not have to fight a hill giant. After an hour, the corridor ends in a sandy cavern lit by glowing stalactites. They hang from the ceiling like giant icicles. A clear stream wanders through the center of the room.

How good it will be to drink fresh water! After carefully checking to make certain the cavern is free of monsters, you and the halfling rush to the water. Flinging yourself down on the sand, you bury your face in clear, clean liquid and drink your fill.

"Oh, that was nice," says Spoot.

As you lie on your side resting, some large footprints in the damp sand catch your attention. You spring to your feet and hurriedly examine them. Unfortunately, there can be no doubt.

"What is it CTM? What's the matter?" asks the halfling.

"Dragon footprints!" you reluctantly answer. Dragons are the most fearsome of all monsters, and you certainly do not care to meet one here. The tracks cross the stream and lead into a low, dark cave-like opening. The only other exit from the cavern is a low tunnel where the water runs from the room.

48 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

It goes without saying that my first instinct is to follow the stream and avoid being munched on, but there's no guarantee that the it's there now, so I could be convinced to follow the tracks.

Go for treasure imo 

I wish you both the best of luck.

If you're wrong you're about to tango with a dragon lol.

Edit: to be clear, like I've said, I have no idea what's going to happen since I haven't read these before. I thought the water weird was going to kill you when you went for that key so who knows.

"Listen," you say, "we've been pretty lucky up to this point. Surely our luck will stretch a little further. Let's follow the dragon tracks."

"Are you crazy?" shouts Spoot, "I don't want any part of this. You do it! When you find something, come back and tell me. I'm brave now, but I'm not about to trade that for stupid."

No matter what you say, you are unable to change the halfling's mind.

"No!" says the halfling stubbornly. "When I was young, my mother asked me if one fool jumped off a bridge, would I jump too? I guess this is about as close to that bridge as I want to get. You go on along without me!"

He turns away from you, folds his arms, and stares at the ground.

Without looking back, you stomp across the stream and cross the cavern, following the dragon tracks. The tracks curve around a large boulder and into a cave. You sneak into the cave, pressing against a slimy wall. Sudden;y the wall moves. You step back to examine it, and find yourself staring into the eyes of enormous black dragon. The dragon stares at you leisurely, then drawls, "Nice of you to drop in. I was wondering what to have for dinner!"

Suddenly the black dragon lunges at you. You raise your sword, but the dragon only laughs. It grabs you in its mouth, breaking your sword. You pound at the dragon's nose, but it does no good. It looks like dinner time!

The halfling, who was standing deep in the shadows, slowly sneaks out of the cave.

"Poor CTM," he sighs, "He kept trying to change me, but being cautious all my life saved me after all. I'll go back to the village, prepare an expedition and come back to destroy the evil that lives here."

Squaring his shoulders, the halfing starts retracing his path home.

THE END

• Haha 1

You blink, as if dazed. A strong sense of deja vu hits you.

You have x1 lives remaining.

============================

"What is it CTM? What's the matter?" asks the halfling.

"Dragon footprints!" you reluctantly answer. Dragons are the most fearsome of all monsters, and you certainly do not care to meet one here. The tracks cross the stream and lead into a low, dark cave-like opening. The only other exit from the cavern is a low tunnel where the water runs from the room.

Water rushes along one side of the corridor. You and the halfling walk slowly beside the stream.

"I'm glad you didn't insist on tracking that dragon." gasps Spoot. "We weren't brave, but at least we are alive!"

"It doesn't always pay to be brave," you answer. "I'd rather be cautious and alive than dead and a hero."

On your left, a corridor opens. It is dimly lit and runs slightly upward.

"I don't like the looks of that corridor," Spoot says.

"You'll get no argument from me," you say, and the two of you hurry down the well lit corridor. The stream flows into another subterranean pool.

"Look CTM," Spoot says, "Is that a shadow coming at us?"

You see a dark form moving down the corridor towards you.

"It's moving," you say, "It can't be a shadow!"

The dark form continues to advance. It fills the entire floor of the passage from side to side. You hear a sucking, slurping noise. The shadow moves into the torch light.

"Look out, CTM," Spoot cries, "It's a black pudding!"

The pudding oozes  down the corridor. It's large, blobby body eats away everything in it's path. It will soon reach you.

"Oh my gosh!" screams the halfling.

"What do we do now? Everybody knows there's no way to fight a pudding!"

Well," you say, "My sword hasn't failed me yet."

8 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Hmmmm. No, it actually seems to be more of a JiF/Crusher hybrid species.

Well they've banged a ton and jif definitely skews female on the gender spectrum, im thinking its thier demon off spring 

• Haha 1

Okay, just watched the full video, and, I have to say, coming from a guy who finds most of his music in the many persuasions of metal, that was one of the most intensely kick-ass pieces of music from three supremely eclectic musicians. I was gonna have that playing in the background while I did some other stuff on my PC, but I could not pull my eyes away. They were incredibly entertaining to watch.

Wow. Oh my. So good. 'Nuff said.

• Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

Okay, just watched the full video, and, I have to say, coming from a guy who finds most of his music in the many persuasions of metal, that was one of the most intensely kick-ass pieces of music from three supremely eclectic musicians. I was gonna have that playing in the background while I did some other stuff on my PC, but I could not pull my eyes away. They were incredibly entertaining to watch.

Wow. Oh my. So good. 'Nuff said.

That's awesome! Made my morning :)

This corridor clearly leads upwards. The corridor ends at a giant boulder which blocks further travel. While carefully examining it's surface, you discover a cleverly hidden latch and the boulder swings aside. All is darkness beyond. Carefully, you step forward. Evil laughter pours fourth from some invisible source, and the boulder swings shut behind you.

"CTM!" exclaims Spoot. "We're outside!"

"Well," you say, slightly disappointed you did not get to fight the wizard, "We may not have found all the treasure in the world, but I'd say we had a profitable adventure."

"Yes," Spoot says, "I never thought I'd be rich!"

"We're not exactly rich," you answer, "But we can live comfortably for awhile. I think I'll use my share to organize an expedition to come back and drive Kalman from the mountain. Will you join me, Spoot?"

Spoot nods, "There's only one thing I like more than food," he says "and that's treasure."

You laugh and, putting your arm around Spoot, start down the mountain towards home.

THE END

So....it's over. The other path where you fight the pudding led to death I checked.

Technically this is a good ending even though you didn't achieve your goal of defeating the wizard or getting treasure.

Except the book is pretending like you got treasure so there must have been another path that led to this one where there was treasure along the way, so we'll just pretend like you found a small pile of treasure after killing the baboon or something.

Anyway, wow guys thanks for doing that with me and sorry for making you wait I didn't realize it was the end.

I know these books are kind of cheesy but I had fun going through that story with you.

And hey these usually end in death so considering I only gave you guys 2 lives you did pretty good only dying once.

I think going forward even if more people want to participate I'm going to keep the 2 life rule (as in 3rd strike and you're "out") just to keep everyone on their toes and not turn the adventure into an easy god mode type thing.

Speaking of which I am down to play some mafia now but if not enough people are up for a game yet I could do another one of these choose your own adventure books. Or not if no one is interested lol.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Nolder said:

So....it's over. The other path where you fight the pudding led to death I checked.

Technically this is a good ending even though you didn't achieve your goal of defeating the wizard or getting treasure.

Except the book is pretending like you got treasure so there must have been another path that led to this one where there was treasure along the way, so we'll just pretend like you found a small pile of treasure after killing the baboon or something.

Anyway, wow guys thanks for doing that with me and sorry for making you wait I didn't realize it was the end.

I know these books are kind of cheesy but I had fun going through that story with you.

And hey these usually end in death so considering I only gave you guys 2 lives you did pretty good only dying once.

I think going forward even if more people want to participate I'm going to keep the 2 life rule (as in 3rd strike and you're "out") just to keep everyone on their toes and not turn the adventure into an easy god mode type thing.

Speaking of which I am down to play some mafia now but if not enough people are up for a game yet I could do another one of these choose your own adventure books. Or not if no one is interested lol.

Thanks for doing this. Was definitely interesting. 

Did you change much of the story or just the characters names?

What was the right path to kill the wizard?

5 hours ago, CTM said:

Thanks for doing this. Was definitely interesting. 

Did you change much of the story or just the characters names?

What was the right path to kill the wizard?

Just the names. The human's name was Caric and the halfling was Laurus. I actually typed the names out the fist time and then I was like hmm if I change that to CTM and Spoot that might make it a little more personal and interesting and invest them in the story a little more. Nothing else was changed or altered.

The right path? Well I've never read the book before so idk let me see if I can find it real quick.

Ok here's how I did it. At the very first option I checked the hole instead of the leaves BUT that eventually led me to the baboon after a series of other encounters. It looks like the trick might have been to leave the baboon alone. From there I went through a series of tunnels and got the same ending you just got but when I backtracked one choice and went down another tunnel, an option I don't think you guys had in your adventure, I finally got a choice to face Kalman or flee. After choosing to face him I end up in the room Spoot/Laurus saw in his story at the beginning with "all the worlds treasure" but Kalman wasn't there. If you choose to search the room you find him and have a fight and kill him but all the treasure is locked behind a door. If you don't have the key Spoot/Laurus picks the lock and you get all the treasure and have a happy ending. If you do have the key you unlock the door and get all the treasure and have a happy ending. So I guess you didn't need to deal with the water weird as long as you beat Kalman lol. If you go back to the option of the room and instead of search for Kalman you just try to pick the lock right away Kalman ambushes you and you flee the dungeon safely before he can kill you. In the forest Spoot/Laurus reveals he stole two large diamonds and gives you one and you vow to use the money to fund another expedition into the dungeon to kill Kalman.

So I don't know if it's possible to get to Kalman if you encounter the baboon, it might be, but that was just how I did it.

• Sympathy 1