maybe it's time to take a breath on gase

obviously a lot of fans have a lot of opinions on adam gase as a coach.  i say it's too early to tell mainly because lots of coaches have started off strongly and failed and others have started poorly and succeeded wildly.  consider to that all jets coaches since kotite had winning records their first season but, except for parcells and mangini, had losing records in their 3rd seasons.  this may indicate that a change of coaches refocused the players and they played better.  it could also mean that the players left behind by the previous coaches were better, overall.  so let's take this season as it is unfolding.  hope for the best and save the real gase judgement for the end of the season.  and i'm not saying this to agree with costello.  it takes a lot of effort to build a team and this one has been neglected for quite a few seasons.

Bill Belichick is one reason Jets shouldn’t give up on Adam Gase

October 8, 2019 | 9:37pm

He was 0-4 to start his first season in his second stint as an NFL coach and nothing was going right. The offense had not reached 20 points in any of his first four games. Those who thought he was a bad hire based on his failure in his first job began to point and say, “See. We told you.”

This is an accurate description of Jets coach Adam Gase. It also describes Bill Belichick, whose 2000 Patriots started off 0-4.

Read this carefully: I am not saying Gase is going to become Belichick. What I’m saying is we have no idea what kind of coach Gase will be with the Jets four games into his tenure. It is way, way too soon to make judgments on how Gase’s tenure with the Jets will play out.

Belichick is Exhibit A in this argument. He was 5-13 as the Patriots coach when Mo Lewis changed NFL history with his hit on Drew Bledsoe.

Most new coaches need time. Teams don’t change usually coaches because they are good. Gase inherited a bad Jets team with plenty of holes on the roster. Things then got more complicated for him when Sam Darnold contracted mononucleosis and missed three of the first four games.

To judge Gase off of the first month of the season is ridiculous. Particularly when you consider he has been playing a quarterback for most of the last three games who will be the answer to a trivia question in 10 years and the Jets have played the winners of four of the last five Super Bowls on the road in their last two games.

I’m not arguing that Gase has done a good job. He needs to solve the team’s offensive line problems. He should have been more conservative with his hope for Darnold to return last week. There are things he can do better. But people also need to view this from 50,000 feet and acknowledge what Gase is dealing with here.

It seems this is the way things go now. There is no time for patience. There are television debate shows that need topics. Radio shows need someone to scream about. Everyone with an iPhone can share their opinions. “Fire the coach!” always seems to be the answer.

Look through NFL history, though, and there are plenty of Hall of Fame coaches who made a bad first impression before getting things fixed.

Tom Landry went 0-11-1 with the Cowboys in 1960 and had six straight losing seasons to start his career. Chuck Noll’s 1969 Steelers finished 1-13, the first of three losing seasons for Noll before winning four Super Bowls. Bill Walsh led the 49ers to a 2-14 record in 1979 and then won the Super Bowl two years later.

Closer to home, Giants fans were ready to run Bill Parcells out of town after a 3-12-1 year in 1983, his first in charge of Big Blue. They were celebrating in Pasadena three seasons later.

Jets fans should know how deceptive early results can be. Todd Bowles started off 4-1 in 2015 on the way to a 10-6 rookie season. Then, the wheels fell off. Bowles, Rex Ryan, Eric Mangini, Herm Edwards and Al Groh all had winning records in their first years and none of them worked out. Maybe Gase can go the other way.

This is going to take time for Gase and general manager Joe Douglas to fix. Darnold’s return is going to make a lot of things and people look better, but he is not a cure-all. The Jets have issues mainly due to poor drafting. They have chosen one offensive player with their last 11 first-round picks — Darnold. A parade of underachieving defensive linemen taken in the first round has caught up to the Jets. They have not drafted an offensive lineman in the first round since 2006. The last offensive skill player they drafted who made a Pro Bowl in a Jets uniform was Keyshawn Johnson. He was drafted in 1996, one year before Darnold was born.

Gase’s first season has not started off the way he or Jets fans hoped. But let’s not give him a final grade just yet.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 4

10 minutes ago, jgb said:

Hogwash. Because one guy who started weak became the GOAT we need to afford every lousy coach multiple years of sucking?

I'd commit at least next year to him barring some crazy over qualified HC popping up. No candidate will choose the Jets if we fire Gase this fast.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1

16 minutes ago, cbudiarjo said:

multiple years? how about give him one year? some want gase fired 3 days ago.

8 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I'd commit at least next year to him barring some crazy over qualified HC popping up. No candidate will choose the Jets if we fire Gase this fast.

Hey look I agree with you guys he won’t be fired this year but Bill Belichick’s incredible and improbable career arc has nothing to do with it.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1

Fans say this about evert coach we had. Run through the list and you’ll find the same excuses. However...

In the interest of being fair, the clock starts now on Gase. He has until Week 17 to show us. To be even more fair, I’m not even talking about wins and losses, with the deficiencies this team has.

But Gase isn’t a coach whose purview reaches O/D/ST, and that’s fine. He’s a specialty coach. Well he needs to show us why he is the best coach for Darnold and this offense. It’s that simple really.

Do not accept mediocrity for the sake of 2 of the best HC’s of all time had some rough starts. Come on...

If by season’s end, Darnold has made a huge leap and the offense is cooking. Keep him. If not, FIND AN UPGRADE. Why wouldn’t we all want the best possible coach, teaching Darnold?!

To answer the “okay if not Gase, then who?” I say, ANYONE would be an upgrade if what we seen continues now.

Yes the OL sucks, but we’re not asking for 56 points a game. We need a progressive and improving offense and qb. 

Adam Gase, the test has begun, please close your notebook. 

18 minutes ago, jgb said:

Hey look I agree with you guys he won’t be fired this year but Bill Belichick’s incredible and improbable career arc has nothing to do with it.

This is true, I'm sure there are plenty of terrible coaches who have started 0-4 and we're just terrible coaches overall. The idea is that we don't know what Gase is just 4 games in. 

The only way I call for Gase to be axed is if he completely loses the locker room, which I don't think will happen this season.

• Upvote 4

Gase, loggains and his offensive system suck. Nothing but excuses thus far for this guy. The team is an out and out embarrassment on all levels. This Sunday, the stadium will be taken over by Cowboys fans. The Panthers are 3-0 with a no name QB. The Jets were too stupid and cheap to fire Mac and hire the correct leadership in January. This guy has a track record and nothing indicates him doing any better here than Miami. I hope I’m wrong, but this guy is a horrible HC and will hopefully be fired at the end of the year!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 5
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

gase was a terrible hire anybody that watched the dolphins the past two years knew this-this reminds me of when the jets drafted hackenberg-there were some on here that ignored the film and wanted to believe in him and keep him around. I would not fire Gase during the season but if the team plays out the season how I believe they will he should be fired without question.

I love when people talk about BB-he studied under parcells for years and ran elite defense for many years and just because one guy started bad and went good does not mean that every coach that starts bad should be given a chance to stick around for years

The tired old line no  coach will come here if we fire gase is beyond dumb. There are not hundreds of these jobs out there-NYC is the best market in sports , we have what some believe is a franchise qb and if you throw money at people they will come without question

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I have been one of Gase's biggest detractors, hated the hire and still do...

With that said, we really can't condemn him for his record to-date.  I would like to have seen the team be more competitive but he was put in a tough spot.  He deserves the season to prove himself.

No excuses now though.

the team has not been competitive at all and the terrible qb he has been saddled with was his hand picked guy that he brought in to not one but two teams

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 4
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I have been one of Gase's biggest detractors, hated the hire and still do...

With that said, we really can't condemn him for his record to-date.  I would like to have seen the team be more competitive but he was put in a tough spot.  He deserves the season to prove himself.

No excuses now though.

Never underestimate our ability to excuse away terrible performance.

• Upvote 2

Just now, JetsYanks13 said:

Also, it’s amazing how fans come out of hiding to support this coach the day after Darnold is cleared to start. Where were all the Gase supporters the last few weeks? The timing is very convenient and I’m sure we will here more excuses then next bunch of weeks.

it already started-now it is he has a terrible line nobody can win with the line-he has terrible wrs nobody can win with them-before the season started many on here loved our talent vs last year and were talking playoffs

• Thumb Down 4

it already started-now it is he has a terrible line nobody can win with the line-he has terrible wrs nobody can win with them-before the season started many on here loved our talent vs last year and were talking playoffs

Exactly, the fans take the cue from Gase because that’s what he does is make excuses and blames players. He is an out and out loser until he can prove himself otherwise. He had 2 weeks to prepare for the Eagles and the Jets were non competitive. The defense played well, but he has nothing to do with that side of the ball! If you can have an NFL team competitive against an average team with 2 weeks to prepare, then your not much of a coach!

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 5
  • Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

Also, it’s amazing how fans come out of hiding to support this coach the day after Darnold is cleared to start. Where were all the Gase supporters the last few weeks? The timing is very convenient and I’m sure we will here more excuses then next bunch of weeks.

I have been here the whole time. 

He was hired to help work with Sam Darnold, and install a high IQ offense.   Not to win meaningless games behind a horrendous offensive line with Luke Falk against really stiff competition.

I wish he would have shown more during the latter.  I still wholeheartedly believe he can do the former.

• Upvote 4
  • WTF? 1

7 minutes ago, FireTheJohnsons said:

On the spectrum of 4 games, and multiple years, there is plenty of space in-between my friend.....

Yup, and none of it has anything to do with Bill Belichick's improbable rise to the best coach evah. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/9/2019 at 7:04 AM, jgb said:

Hogwash. Because one guy who started weak became the GOAT we need to afford every lousy coach multiple years of sucking?

No because without his QB no one should say the stupid shlt they've been saying about him, his offense, play calling, the OC etc.  

If fans can't understand what we were trotting out at QB and the limitations that put on the staff and offense they have no idea about how the game of football is played.  Period. And the people who call that excuse making are at the top of the heap.  

Belichick just proves that without talent even the best can't win, not that anyone can do it. Big difference and just a way to blow off the truth 

• Upvote 2

Like those pacific island tribes that never had contact with any other human, Jets fans treat coaches and personnel men who exhibit first-world intelligence with panicked paranoiac terror. Jets fans fear winning like those tribesmen fear smallpox, and smart people threaten their primitive way of life, so naturally they try and burn those smart people alive whenever one dares to get hired by this execrable franchise. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, FireTheJohnsons said:

On the spectrum of 4 games, and multiple years, there is plenty of space in-between my friend.....

IMO Gase needed to take a demotion and go back to offensive coordinator for a while before he got another head coaching gig. A lot of guys do this. They can reflect on what they did, right and wrong, and learn/grow from the process.

When you go out and fail as a head coach and get immediately hired by another team in the same division as a head coach it doesn't give you much reason to reflect on what you did wrong or grow as a person/coach. The team that hired you essentially reinforced whatever it was you were doing at the last job as the correct way to do things.

Hey Gase - love what you did in Miami, why don't you come run the Jets? He has no reason to change the failed ways. By hiring him we told him to do the same here.

That's not how it's supposed to work.

200.gif

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

IMO Gase needed to take a demotion and go back to offensive coordinator for a while before he got another head coaching gig. A lot of guys do this. They can reflect on what they did, right and wrong, and learn/grow from the process.

When you go out and fail as a head coach and get immediately hired by another team in the same division as a head coach it doesn't give you much reason to reflect on what you did wrong or grow as a person/coach. The team that hired you essentially reinforced whatever it was you were doing at the last job as the correct way to do things.

Hey Gase - love what you did in Miami, why don't you come run the Jets? He has no reason to change he failed ways. By hiring him we told him to do the same here.

That's not how it's supposed to work.

200.gif

I didnt love nor hate the hire, and to be honest, there wasnt one guy they were going to hire who I would have loved. They all had major concerns, from lack of experience, to plenty of other concerns. 4 games, 3 of which with your 3rd string QB aganisnt good defenses is not the time to decide the fate of your HC. We will have plenty of time for that. Success and failure as a HC also isnt always as black and white as everyone wants to make it.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Like those pacific island tribes that never had contact with any other human, Jets fans treat coaches and personnel men who exhibit first-world intelligence with panicked paranoiac terror. Jets fans fear winning like those tribesmen fear smallpox, and smart people threaten their primitive way of life, so naturally they try and burn those smart people alive whenever one dares to get hired by this execrable franchise. 

Do you use a dictionary from the 16th century?

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, jgb said:

Never underestimate our ability to excuse away terrible performance.

Or the ability of some to go off the deep end calling a coach incompetent, a loser etc and call for his firing as if 4 games without his starting QB, his QB of the D, This horrid OL and call for his firing after 4 games?  

Quite frankly it's stupid and annoying to keep reading this nonsense day after day. 

And even more stupid to actually believe Gases firing will happen or should.  I know I don't enjoy reading this nonsense all day from people who don't have a clue.  As is believing the record is due to poor coaching that needs to be erased through excuse making.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

56 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

there's a difference between being a Gase supporter and not wanting him fired after 4 games, or not wanting to say he's worse than Kotite

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Or the ability of some to go off the deep end calling a coach incompetent, a loser etc and call for his firing as if 4 games without his starting QB, his QB of the D, This horrid OL and call for his firing after 4 games?  

Quite frankly it's stupid and annoying to keep reading this nonsense day after day. 

And even more stupid to actually believe Gases firing will happen or should.  I know I don't enjoy reading this nonsense all day from people who don't have a clue.  As is believing the record is due to poor coaching that needs to be erased through excuse making.  

They're just venting. Everyone knows the Johnson Brothers are not going to fire Gase until at earliest after the 2020 season, when they stop paying Bowles. 

2 hours ago, jgb said:

+Infinity

I am so incredibly sick and tired of arguments that boil down to "this one rare guy did this one rare thing in a totally different situation for a totally different organization in a totally different era with literally every other variable different.....so you should keep on with your sucky guy!".

Geno Smith sucks?  Hey, Peyton Manning sucked  early too!  Because those are the same? :-k

Adam Gase (or Bowles, or whomever) sucks?  Hey, Bill Bellichek sucked at first too!  Because those are the same? :-k

It is literally the least logical or supported argument one could possibly make.  These two things being compared usually have nothing whatsoever to do with one another OTHER Than playing or working in the same job.  Nothing else would logically warrant such a comparison or such a presumption that B could be like A.

If this idea worked, we would need to draft nothing but 6th round QB's and pair them with nothing but failed ex-Coaches, and definitely not judge them at all early on.  Bonkers.

Yet every year, especially here, we get threads making this very argument.  It's embarrassing.

JUST BECAUSE A THING IS POSSIBLE IN A TINY FRACTION OF CASES DOESN'T MAKE THAT THING LIKELY!!!!

• Post of the Week 1

BB wouldn’t be able to win with this team under the same circumstances. This organization has been ran poorly for years and it’s going to take time to fix it right. There’s no magic wand that can turn this team into a Super Bowl contentender overnight. I’m not saying Gase and Douglas is or isn’t the answer but people are delusional if they think they can determine that after 4 games with the hand that was dealt. Be patient. Unfortunately it’s going to take more time than 1/4 of a season to get the real results. And also unfortunate is the fact that most fans have no patience. Lose one game and they want everyone fired. Let it play out. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1