joewilly12

Rex Ryan wants Redskins job after Jay Gruden is fired, but here's why they definitely should not hire him

Rex Ryan wants Redskins’ job, after Jay Gruden is fired, but here’s why they definitely should not hire him

Updated 2:30 PM; Today 2:17 PM 
Rex Ryan

AP

Will Washington hire Rex Ryan? 

Rex Ryan goes to Washington?

Now that Washington has fired coach Jay Gruden, Ryan is basically begging Daniel Snyder to hire him. But Snyder — who has a long track record of making horrible decisions — should stay far away from Ryan.

Ryan, the former Jets and Bills coach, said on ESPN that he wants the job. The question was brought up on air: Does anybody actually want the Washington job? And Ryan jumped right in.

“Of course,” said Ryan, who is now an ESPN analyst. “Everybody. I would take it. People are going to be lined up for this job. They absolutely will.”

Snyder’s top priority when seeking a new head coach should be finding a guy who can develop high-profile rookie quarterback Dwayne Haskins. That’s what the Jets, who have Sam Darnold, did this past offseason, when they replaced Todd Bowles with Adam Gase. The jury is still very much out on Gase (and Darnold, too), but developing Darnold was/is the Jets’ main goal.

Ryan, a defensive-minded coach, has never successfully developed a young quarterback. Nor did Ryan employ a Jets offensive coordinator who was able to consistently do it. When the Jets fired Ryan after the 2014 season, he left a string of failed offensive coordinators in his wake. So that’s reason No. 1 why Washington should stay away from Ryan.

Plus, there’s this question: Is Ryan even a good head coach?

Yes, he made back-to-back AFC title games in his first two seasons with the Jets, 2009-10. But he has done nothing since — eight, six, eight, and four wins in his final four seasons with the Jets, and then records of 8-8 and 7-8 in his two seasons with the Bills, 2015-16.

Ryan has a 41-54 record, with no playoff appearances, in the most recent six seasons of his eight-year head coaching career. (He went 20-12 in the regular season from 2009-10.)

This is Ryan’s third straight season out of coaching, as he has found a home on TV. While that isn’t a tremendously long time away — and Ryan, who turns 57 in December, isn’t exactly ancient yet — this Washington job doesn’t make sense for him, even if he really wants it.

* I put font size on 22. 

5 minutes ago, FireTheJohnsons said:

Lets be honest, that was more of a case of luck and being in the right place at the right time. Ryan stepped into a very good situation, and he was the right guy for those two seasons. That said, when left to his own vices, he was a complete and utter disaster, of which we have never really recovered from. Im not taking anything away from what he did in 09 and 10, but if he came back tomorrow this franchise would be doomed for 10 more years. He has no ability to devleop players, hire a competent staff, or contribute in any positive way to roster construction.  And his defensive mastermindness is way overrated to boot.

And the coaches who the NY Jets brought in after him could develop players, hire competent staff, or contribute in any positive way to roster construction and draft. 

• Confused 1
  • Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, FireTheJohnsons said:

Absolutely true, but I fail to see what that has to do with Rex or how it makes him any better?

He accomplished so much more here this team had life. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FireTheJohnsons said:

Rex ultimately did a lot more harm than good for this team

In what way?

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s because he’s ******* lazy, Joe.

He's great on ESPN. 

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Who do you like better, you old lecher: Rex or Lou Dobbs?

Rex

17 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

If you have to ask.... that is very telling.   Under his tenure, the absolutely worst drafts were conducted and yes, I believe he influenced and intimidated Tanny and Idzik.  No other explanation for all the bad picks on defense.  But his record as a HC speaks volumes. WELL below 500. 

Like the drafts got any better after he left. 

How about Todd Bowles record? 

Back to back AFC Championship games I hope to see that again in my lifetime. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

What does this mean, that I should forget those last 4 years or his time in Buffalo?

Who cares what happened in Buffalo I only care about what happened with the NY Jets. 

• Thumb Down 1

4 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

And it's true that Maccagnan and Bowles didn't draft or develop a young QB as well, but we're not considering hiring them again either.

No way in hell Todd Bowles will go down as one of the worst HC's in NY Jets history as far as i'm concerned. 

11 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Like the drafts got any better after he left. 

How about Todd Bowles record? 

Back to back AFC Championship games I hope to see that again in my lifetime. 

5 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

What does this mean, that I should forget those last 4 years or his time in Buffalo?

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Who cares what happened in Buffalo I only care about what happened with the NY Jets. 

6 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

??? What?

Then im trying to figure out why you even cared to comment on my initial post then. I said that Rex was overrated regarding this Redskins job since that's the nature of the thread. If you only care about what happens with the Jets, then why even quote me? Why you even in here? 

lol. people 

Rex Ryan as HC the NY Jets went to the AFC Championship game in 2009-2010 

I don't care what happened to him in Buffalo I think he beat the NY Jets twice as HC of the Bills once eliminating them from playoff contention. 

Rex Ryan is a viable HC candidate. 

His time in NY was fun the team was alive we had good players good coaches and we won a helluva lot more than we have since he left. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I didnt ask you to care about anything, however with that, dont expect me to care about your your ability to ignore his entire HC history when talking about a HC opportunity for him.  

His time in NY was fun to you, to others it was fun for 2 years, sh*t for 4, sh*t for buffalo as well which contributes to folks overall view of him, that you may not care about. 

The article doesnt include that we have to care about how you felt about those two years. 

Or does it or I care about your feelings towards Rex Ryan. 

Last time I checked this is still a football message board where we post opinions, facts and lately feelings. 

He's a helluva a lot better than what we've had here lately, jury still out on Adam Gase. 

1 minute ago, peebag said:

And he also brought pain and suffering for 10 years to this franchise.

Macc and Bowles brought more pain, suffering and aftermath. 

• Upvote 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company