joewilly12

Rex Ryan wants Redskins job after Jay Gruden is fired, but here's why they definitely should not hire him

Rex Ryan wants Redskins’ job, after Jay Gruden is fired, but here’s why they definitely should not hire him

Updated 2:30 PM; Today 2:17 PM 
Rex Ryan

AP

Will Washington hire Rex Ryan? 

Rex Ryan goes to Washington?

Now that Washington has fired coach Jay Gruden, Ryan is basically begging Daniel Snyder to hire him. But Snyder — who has a long track record of making horrible decisions — should stay far away from Ryan.

Ryan, the former Jets and Bills coach, said on ESPN that he wants the job. The question was brought up on air: Does anybody actually want the Washington job? And Ryan jumped right in.

“Of course,” said Ryan, who is now an ESPN analyst. “Everybody. I would take it. People are going to be lined up for this job. They absolutely will.”

Snyder’s top priority when seeking a new head coach should be finding a guy who can develop high-profile rookie quarterback Dwayne Haskins. That’s what the Jets, who have Sam Darnold, did this past offseason, when they replaced Todd Bowles with Adam Gase. The jury is still very much out on Gase (and Darnold, too), but developing Darnold was/is the Jets’ main goal.

Ryan, a defensive-minded coach, has never successfully developed a young quarterback. Nor did Ryan employ a Jets offensive coordinator who was able to consistently do it. When the Jets fired Ryan after the 2014 season, he left a string of failed offensive coordinators in his wake. So that’s reason No. 1 why Washington should stay away from Ryan.

Plus, there’s this question: Is Ryan even a good head coach?

Yes, he made back-to-back AFC title games in his first two seasons with the Jets, 2009-10. But he has done nothing since — eight, six, eight, and four wins in his final four seasons with the Jets, and then records of 8-8 and 7-8 in his two seasons with the Bills, 2015-16.

Ryan has a 41-54 record, with no playoff appearances, in the most recent six seasons of his eight-year head coaching career. (He went 20-12 in the regular season from 2009-10.)

This is Ryan’s third straight season out of coaching, as he has found a home on TV. While that isn’t a tremendously long time away — and Ryan, who turns 57 in December, isn’t exactly ancient yet — this Washington job doesn’t make sense for him, even if he really wants it.

* I put font size on 22. 

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Lol what a f*cking snake 

Wasn’t he also publicly schilling for the Miami job like 9 months ago before they even fired Gase? lol

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Wasn’t he also publicly schilling for the Miami job like 9 months ago before they even fired Gase? lol

Miami and Atlanta. This is what happens when you get three GMs fired in four years

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

remember when Rex “bet on himself” and now he’s on his hands and knees in front of Dan Snyder

Im sure he'd get on his knees, but he may need his hands depending on his technique.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Lol what a f*cking snake 

Lol, Rex is smarter than people give him credit for. He actually got his brother a huge paying job in Buffalo. He's isnt doing anything NY City fireman don't do. Get all of your immediate family & cousins in, proceed to hurt back, collect cushy disability & pension, buy boat, move to Eastern LI, fish.

Before I get lambasted for this I'm not including EVERYONE doing this just 92.8 %. 

Rex just looking for his last payday. He's like the Mo Wilkerson of coaches. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 4
  • Confused 2
  • Like 2

I’m jealous and I know it’s a wasted emotion. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, FireTheJohnsons said:

Lets be honest, that was more of a case of luck and being in the right place at the right time. Ryan stepped into a very good situation, and he was the right guy for those two seasons. That said, when left to his own vices, he was a complete and utter disaster, of which we have never really recovered from. Im not taking anything away from what he did in 09 and 10, but if he came back tomorrow this franchise would be doomed for 10 more years. He has no ability to devleop players, hire a competent staff, or contribute in any positive way to roster construction.  And his defensive mastermindness is way overrated to boot.

And the coaches who the NY Jets brought in after him could develop players, hire competent staff, or contribute in any positive way to roster construction and draft. 

• Confused 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

And the coaches who the NY Jets brought in after him could develop players, hire competent staff, or contribute in any positive way to roster construction and draft. 

Absolutely true, but I fail to see what that has to do with Rex or how it makes him any better?

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Sorry I know this has nothing to do with the thread, but...

Did you see the local listings for Sunday? We're getting the Jets game down here this week!

@southparkcpa 900 tee time, grill a few steaks poolside afterwards, have a scotch or two and watch Jets-Cowboys.

Life is Good. 

I'm thinking of driving up!! LOL 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, JiF said:

I’m jealous and I know it’s a wasted emotion. 

Rex >>>>>> gase

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Post of the Week 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, FireTheJohnsons said:

Absolutely true, but I fail to see what that has to do with Rex or how it makes him any better?

He accomplished so much more here this team had life. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Why rex isnt in the monday night booth ill never understand.  He was made for that role.  

It’s because he’s ******* lazy, Joe.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

He's great on ESPN. 

Who do you like better, you old lecher: Rex or Lou Dobbs?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Jeff Weekes is folding and carefully putting away his home depot apron.

Excuse me. Excuse me. I used to work at Home Depot.

Just now, T0mShane said:

Excuse me. Excuse me. I used to work at Home Depot.

Well when the job came open in the fast foot industry I am sure you also folded your home depot apron.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

In what way?

If you have to ask.... that is very telling.   Under his tenure, the absolutely worst drafts were conducted and yes, I believe he influenced and intimidated Tanny and Idzik.  No other explanation for all the bad picks on defense.  But his record as a HC speaks volumes. WELL below 500. 

• Post of the Week 2

16 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The short list is going to be Todd Bowles, Rex Ryan and Norv Turner. 

I would hire Rex before Bowles but Norv should never be allowed to be a HC again - so much wasted talent 

1. Ryan
  2. Bowles
  3. Turner
  4. Shotty

At this point I would take Rex back as HC with a seasoned OC to work with Sam.  Rex hopefully has learned a thing or two from his time with the Jets and Bills.

• Upvote 3