Rex Ryan wants Redskins job after Jay Gruden is fired, but here's why they definitely should not hire him

Rex is a fun character and I will always have great memories of 2009 & 2010. 

That said, overall he did not do a good job.  He made no attempt to assist a young Mark Sanchez coming off two extended playoff runs in his first two seasons.  He wasted draft picks, i.e., Scotty McKnight had no business being in the NFL!  He was drafted simply because he was friends with Sanchez. INEXCUSABLE!  He let Brad Smith walk because he was pre-occupied with signing Nnamdi Asomughia.  He also let Braylon Edwards go in favor of a "passed his prime" prima donna Plaxico Burress. Yes even though Smith and Edwards did nothing exceptional after leaving the Jets, they were more valuable to our offense do to the way they were utilized.

Also his fascination with Tebow and his utter inability to use him properly was embarrassing.  Post 2011 Lockout Rex was awful and set this franchise back!

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Rex is a fun guy and I'll always like him, but it's hard to imagine a 3rd team hiring him as a HC. 

I wrote it at the time, but he made a big mistake jumping right back into a HC gig after getting fired by the Jets. He needed time to reflect and learn from his mistakes. He never got humbled and it cost him dearly in Buffalo. (I wonder if people will be saying the same thing about Gase in a couple of years). 

7 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Rex is a fun guy and I'll always like him, but it's hard to imagine a 3rd team hiring him as a HC. 

I wrote it at the time, but he made a big mistake jumping right back into a HC gig after getting fired by the Jets. He needed time to reflect and learn from his mistakes. He never got humbled and it cost him dearly in Buffalo. (I wonder if people will be saying the same thing about Gase in a couple of years). 

Rex needs to become a hot DC again.  Then he will get a HC job

1 hour ago, peebag said:

directly due to Rextastic's terms.

Dude hijacked Mangini's teams then preceded to drive it into the ground.

He hijacked it? WTF? Mangini got fired - obviously Rex had nothing to do with that.

Mangini couldn't win with that team with Brett Favre. Rex took turned them into serious contenders with Mark frickin Sanchez at the helm.

The hate that Rex gets from Jets fans is crazy. Other than when Parcells was around Rex led the only Jets teams that were actual contenders in my life time. I appreciate that sh*t.

There are plenty of trash coaches to hate. Rex gave us something.

I suspect we'd be a lot better place today if Rex & Tannenbaum were given an opportunity to fix what they'd broken.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

He hijacked it? WTF? Mangini got fired - obviously Rex had nothing to do with that.

Mangini couldn't win with that team with Brett Favre. Rex took turned them into serious contenders with Mark frickin Sanchez at the helm.

The hate that Rex gets from Jets fans is crazy. Other than when Parcells was around Rex led the only Jets teams that were actual contenders in my life time. I appreciate that sh*t.

There are plenty of trash coaches to hate. Rex gave us something.

I suspect we'd be a lot better place today if Rex & Tannenbaum were given an opportunity to fix what they'd broken.

Parcells hijacked Kotite’s team dammit!

• Haha 1

Since Al Davis is dead, Redskins seems like a viable option. 

Having said that, Rex is still the best Jets coach since Tuna. Jets fans should be put on suicide watch cuz we are in a constant denial and think this franchise might be heading in the right direction. It’s not. It’s a total scam. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, slimjasi said:

What makes you think he is humbler now?  He still a blow heart and want-a-be HC ...

21 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Rex Ryan wants Redskins’ job, after Jay Gruden is fired, but here’s why they definitely should not hire him

Updated 2:30 PM; Today 2:17 PM 
Rex Ryan

AP

Will Washington hire Rex Ryan? 

Rex Ryan goes to Washington?

Now that Washington has fired coach Jay Gruden, Ryan is basically begging Daniel Snyder to hire him. But Snyder — who has a long track record of making horrible decisions — should stay far away from Ryan.

Ryan, the former Jets and Bills coach, said on ESPN that he wants the job. The question was brought up on air: Does anybody actually want the Washington job? And Ryan jumped right in.

“Of course,” said Ryan, who is now an ESPN analyst. “Everybody. I would take it. People are going to be lined up for this job. They absolutely will.”

Snyder’s top priority when seeking a new head coach should be finding a guy who can develop high-profile rookie quarterback Dwayne Haskins. That’s what the Jets, who have Sam Darnold, did this past offseason, when they replaced Todd Bowles with Adam Gase. The jury is still very much out on Gase (and Darnold, too), but developing Darnold was/is the Jets’ main goal.

Ryan, a defensive-minded coach, has never successfully developed a young quarterback. Nor did Ryan employ a Jets offensive coordinator who was able to consistently do it. When the Jets fired Ryan after the 2014 season, he left a string of failed offensive coordinators in his wake. So that’s reason No. 1 why Washington should stay away from Ryan.

Plus, there’s this question: Is Ryan even a good head coach?

Yes, he made back-to-back AFC title games in his first two seasons with the Jets, 2009-10. But he has done nothing since — eight, six, eight, and four wins in his final four seasons with the Jets, and then records of 8-8 and 7-8 in his two seasons with the Bills, 2015-16.

Ryan has a 41-54 record, with no playoff appearances, in the most recent six seasons of his eight-year head coaching career. (He went 20-12 in the regular season from 2009-10.)

This is Ryan’s third straight season out of coaching, as he has found a home on TV. While that isn’t a tremendously long time away — and Ryan, who turns 57 in December, isn’t exactly ancient yet — this Washington job doesn’t make sense for him, even if he really wants it.

* I put font size on 22. 

he's middling

10 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Let's compare 4 games to six seasons and make blanket statements that are based on guess work

Gase spent 3+ seasons as Miami's head coach.  What did that team do well?  What was their identity?  His tenure in Miami will be remembered for them being complete losers, him losing control of the locker room, and him alienating every decent player they had.  

Rex came here from his opening press conference and said they were going to run the football, play great defense, and be more physical than any team they face.  When the front office supported his vision and gave him the horses he needed, his teams did exactly that.  That, to me, is the mark of a good head coach.  Not saying it wasn't his time to go, because his act got tired, but he never lost the locker room in 6 seasons & by the end of his tenure those players would still run through a wall for him.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Overrated? He's better than Bowles, that's for sure. And by the looks of things he's better than Adam Gase.

Just because you dont smell as bad as sh_t, doesnt mean you smell good. 

Bowles and Gase set no sort of standard worth respecting, so comparing them does nothing really. 

You can not be at sh*tty as those guys and still be overrated as a HC, which he is. He's a DC. 

His last 3 years here were just awful, totally apparent he had totally lost it.

He took a promising Buffalo team and top highly rated defense and destroyed it, the Bills are finally recovering.

No chance he gets this job unless he turns the charm on with snyder and sucks him in.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Rex is a fun character and I will always have great memories of 2009 & 2010. 

That said, overall he did not do a good job.  He made no attempt to assist a young Mark Sanchez coming off two extended playoff runs in his first two seasons.  He wasted draft picks, i.e., Scotty McKnight had no business being in the NFL!  He was drafted simply because he was friends with Sanchez. INEXCUSABLE!  He let Brad Smith walk because he was pre-occupied with signing Nnamdi Asomughia.  He also let Braylon Edwards go in favor of a "passed his prime" prima donna Plaxico Burress. Yes even though Smith and Edwards did nothing exceptional after leaving the Jets, they were more valuable to our offense do to the way they were utilized.

Also his fascination with Tebow and his utter inability to use him properly was embarrassing.  Post 2011 Lockout Rex was awful and set this franchise back!

I don't know where to start.  This is complete historical revisionism.   You act like Rex was GM and owner.  He was not!

1 minute ago, long suffering jets fan said:

I don't know where to start.  This is complete historical revisionism.   You act like Rex was GM and owner.  He was not!

Rex had a ton of say on personnel.  Tanny was GM and he did not have a football personnel backround. Look at the difference in Jets drafts from the Mangini era to the Rex era with Tanny serving as GM for both.

5 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Rex had a ton of say on personnel.  Tanny was GM and he did not have a football personnel backround. Look at the difference in Jets drafts from the Mangini era to the Rex era with Tanny serving as GM for both.

What I saw was Bray, Damien Woody, LT, Slauson, Hartsock, Tony Richardson all shown the door in one off-season to compensate for Santonio Holmes' contract, a move which had Woody Johnson written all over it.

That was the turning point of this team.  Every one of those guys was a great blocker.  After the departures Sanchez was abused (remember Wayne Hunter?) and the offense fell apart.

What I saw was Bray, Damien Woody, LT, Slauson, Hartsock, Tony Richardson all shown the door in one off-season to compensate for Santonio Holmes' contract, a move which had Woody Johnson written all over it.
That was the turning point of this team.  Every one of those guys was a great blocker.  After the departures Sanchez was abused (remember Wayne Hunter?) and the offense fell apart.

Woody?? Rex has a massive hard on for Santonio.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

On 10/10/2019 at 2:25 PM, CurtMart said:

Since Al Davis is dead, Redskins seems like a viable option. 

Having said that, Rex is still the best Jets coach since Tuna. Jets fans should be put on suicide watch cuz we are in a constant denial and think this franchise might be heading in the right direction. It’s not. It’s a total scam. 

Flaws and all Rex was the best head coach jets had since Bill Parcells

• Upvote 1

On 10/11/2019 at 5:54 AM, JetsFanatic said:

How did Mangini’s drafting look in Cleveland?

5 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

A strong oline brought us to back to back AFC championship games. It almost sounds as if we won them when you say it. People should take note that as the oline fell apart so did the Jets.

It was multiple factors.  Sanchez got exposed.  Woody decided to trade for Tebow which turned us into a joke, Idzik’s draft happened and he refused to sign Revis in 2014