2002 Jets

30 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Only said by fans of qbs who lose.

Good QB play often leads to wins but wins are never accomplished by a QB alone. Football is the ultimate team sport. Bad QB's often win games because they're playing on strong teams. See Mark Sanchez for exhibit A. Good QB's often lose games because they're playing on crappy teams. 

The idea that wins and losses are QB stats is something the media has created and people who listen to them too much believe. It's an easy mistake to make. The QB is the one getting all the press conferences and interviews and the one who takes the ball every offensive snap. They're the face of the franchise and very important, no doubt. Left tackle is arguably the second most important position on offense but no one ever talks about them as if they have an individual W/L record - mostly because it would be stupid. The 1998 Colts were 3-13. Was that because Peyton Manning was a bad QB?

I don't know if you played organized football much, but if you have you've probably played on some teams with crappy QB's that won a bunch of games or on some bad teams with good QB's who lost a bunch of games. 

Wins and losses are team stats.

I definitely remember that year which made me a Pennington fan. We had a great core for a great run especially 2004 which I still think that was our year to win it all. All in all if Mosley Bell Adams and Darnold can rally this team back this would be crazy. But I’m still in it hoping. Great post

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

2002 I was 17 years younger...................

2002 I lived in New England so I was able to attend the Holy Trinity of Jets games:  at Patriots, Green Bay, Indianapolis.

Three Hall Of Fame quarterbacks, three big Jets victories.

SAR I

• Sympathy 1

16 hours ago, nyjunc said:

People forget how banged up we were early in 2002, many of the injured guys kept playing through out.  When Chad came in and we started to get healthy we took off.  I can see the similarities, I just wish we won week 1 vs Buffalo like we did in 2002.

Yes, the Buffalo loss is the type of loss that can ruin an entire season.

The other issue is the juggernaut Patriots at 6-0. They have only played one 1 score game so far and I think have only trailed once all season (when they were briefly down 7-0 to Washington early last week). 

So, we can't win the division and we already lose a tie-breaker to a team that will likely be in 9(ish) win territory (Cleveland). 

6 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Yes, the Buffalo loss is the type of loss that can ruin an entire season.

The other issue is the juggernaut Patriots at 6-0. They have only played one 1 score game so far and I think have only trailed once all season (when they were briefly down 7-0 to Washington early last week). 

So, we can't win the division and we already lose a tie-breaker to a team that will likely be in 9(ish) win territory (Cleveland). 

The division is out but a lot 1-3 the playoffs shouldn't be as big of a longshot but I think if we win Sunday there's life.  If we can win I think NE can be picked off the following week then we are 2-4 heading to the soft portion of our schedule. It's not likely to happen but please let's just get this win Sunday to breathe some life into this season.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, SAR I said:

2002 I lived in New England so I was able to attend the Holy Trinity of Jets games:  at Patriots, Green Bay, Indianapolis.

Three Hall Of Fame quarterbacks, three big Jets victories.

SAR I

We haven't had many 3 game stretches like that in our history.

We win those games by a combined score of 133-34.  The win in NE was the difference in the division title and is the only year Brady was primary starter that NE didn't win the AFC East AND NE wouldn't lose another game on that field for another 3 seasons.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I was at that Bears game.  

It was at the U of IL stadium.

Horrible experience. 

They almost pulled it out until Wayne tried to leap in the EZ from the 15?

Thankfully Miami would choke and we'd crush NE and GB the next 2 weeks.

Sad thing about that season is for a while people thought Pennington was the real deal. However, that was the year his weaknesses were exposed. After he never played QB as well. The Raiders laid the groundwork for making Pennington very average. Then, injuries mostly killed him.

Decision to play pennington with backup ol in a meaningless preseason game and Pennington’s decision to take London fletcher on shoulder to shoulder is what made pennington average.  But still good enough to lead the Dolphins to a division title over Favres Jets shredding the jets in the meadowlands.