Gregg Williams: Leo has been ‘unbelievable’

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

I would eat his entire salary for a 3rd. We are going to have more money than we can actually spend on good players this off-season. Been saying this all year, eat the salary for a draft pick. I don't understand why teams are not making moves like the Browns made with Brock.

If we can do that, great. I’m not a cap expert and not sure if we can just choose how much to eat with a 5th year option. There are so many unlikeable/failure players from the last regime that I want gone. This also includes Winters(Idzik) who just sucks balls. Cleanse his team of trash. 

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Remember when half the people on this board screamed all summer that we’d be playing tons of 4-3 alignments, and I said we didn’t have the personnel for 4-3 looks?

Now the excuse for Leo is “he needs to be in a 4-3 defense!” Can’t make this stuff up.

I've been slightly MIA with my busy season at work but I thought the whole narrative was that we had the personnel for the 4-3 and fans were frustrated when Gregg said something along the lines of staying in a base 3-4.

Or at least that was the thought process since Lee and Leo looked out of place in the 3-4

1 minute ago, Creepy Lurker said:

If we can do that, great. I’m not a cap expert and not sure if we can just choose how much to eat with a 5th year option. There are so many unlikeable/failure players from the last regime that I want gone. This also includes Winters(Idzik) who just sucks balls. Cleanse his team of trash. 

The Brock deal was slightly different as the Browns got Brock and a 1st rounder to eat cap. What I'm saying may not be allowed, since you'd be giving up a player but keeping his cap hit. I'm not sure if that is actually allowed. Either way I would support the Jets taking on bad contracts from good teams for draft pick compensation.

Just now, bla bla bla said:

The Brock deal was slightly different as the Browns got Brock and a 1st rounder to eat cap. What I'm saying may not be allowed, since you'd be giving up a player but keeping his cap hit. I'm not sure if that is actually allowed. Either way I would support the Jets taking on bad contracts from good teams for draft pick compensation.

I was a big fan of the concept of he Brock trade and wanted something like that for years. This is different which is why I’m not sure how it would work. I’d trade many players for peanuts and eat the salary this year just so another team can “rent” them for 2019.

Playoff teams may consider trading picks in rounds 5-7 for our trash/underperformers. Only if they think the players suck as a result of us being a black hole. 

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

You simply do not pay a guy $14 mil for what Leonard is giving you, and you especially don’t get locked into a multi-year deal for a guy who’s presumably trying his hardest and still hasn’t done sh*t. Let Leonard go be someone’s swing DL for a righteous third and be done with it 

Also in a 3-4 defense you do not spend big or waste early picks on DL EVER . You stack your team with LB's which happen to be the key to a successful 3-4 defense. With that being said at least we targeted some LB's in FA and the draft this year and hopefully we keep up that trend. The only position you should be looking at on the DL in a 3-4 defense is the NT that's the guy who should be getting the push up the middle and I guess QW was or is supposed to be that guy but Im losing faith in that situation since he is undersized for the position when guys typically weight out in the 325 + range

• Upvote 2

I get the talk him up for trade angle here but he sucks and anyone can put on the tape and say, oh cool, this guy is occupies space.  Is that worth a mil a week and a draft pick?  Pass

I was really hoping Gregg Williams could get the best out of Leo but he's just a JAG, is what it is. 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Also Gase on him is hilarious: 

Sooooo why don’t we ask Leo to do what Donald does?! Seems to be working for him. But it’s obvious that was a “here’s a bs answer for you” from Gase. 

Still don’t understand why coaches seem to support him so much. 

Watch the video of GW presser, he explains why and what he does for the team that makes him a solid piece of the Defense. Not just a snipit and sound bite. 

He also gives examples of advanced stats that they track on these players through GPS to show some of the things the defense is doing right. 

If your a playoff team & you have injuries ala Chiefs & Cowboys along your defensive line & you can trade for Leonard Williams for a 3 your definitely considering that move. The Chiefs defense is horrific & you can't outscore the Patriots if Mahomes is sitting on the sidelines while Sony Michel, White & Burkhead are ripping holes through them & around them. 

Same with Dallas competing with a team like the Saints & Kamara. Is Leo worth 14 million? Absolutely not! Is he a top 10 DT? Nope. Can he maybe help these teams slow down another teams running game, I say yes. The guy is unmotivated, but being on a better team, going to the playoffs might rev his motor. Teams like the Chiefs & Cowboys are running into the dreaded salary cap mess & will start losing players. When you have a chance at the Super Bowl you take it. I think Leonard Williams is a goner if the price is right. Especially if another playoff contender loses an important DT. That could happen within a month. 3 playoff bound teams with Super Bowl aspirations & a DT problem would benefit the NY Jets. He's not great, but he's available & it's always that old story a new team thinks they can turn him around & get more out of him.

31 minutes ago, JiF said:

I get the talk him up for trade angle here but he sucks and anyone can put on the tape and say, oh cool, this guy is occupies space.  Is that worth a mil a week and a draft pick?  Pass

I was really hoping Gregg Williams could get the best out of Leo but he's just a JAG, is what it is. 

I don’t think it has anything to do with trade value, I just think GW didn’t want to trash the guy publicly and wanted to stay positive through this losing stretch.  

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I don’t think it has anything to do with trade value, I just think GW didn’t want to trash the guy publicly and wanted to stay positive through this losing stretch.  

Agreed.  I think Leo is probably respected in the lockerroom, trashing him in public wouldnt go over too well, I would think 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Tell me what Todd bowles said about Darrelle Revis, Mo Wilkerson and Shel rich.

Tell me what the pro evaluator mike mccganan said about all his litany of picks.

Williams is pumping up trade value.

You will look as tuned in as Jetnut was when he declared that Darron Lee was here for this year and a week later he got dealt for a 6th rounder.

How about you stfu since you have no idea what I've said and are as wrong about me as your ridiculous post claiming fans are two steps ahead of any FO, anywhere.  

Dont ever think that youre actually the one tuned in.  

I've been slightly MIA with my busy season at work but I thought the whole narrative was that we had the personnel for the 4-3 and fans were frustrated when Gregg said something along the lines of staying in a base 3-4.
Or at least that was the thought process since Lee and Leo looked out of place in the 3-4

We absolutely do NOT have the personnel for a 4-3. No 4-3 DE’s, and in what world are our LB’s built for a 4-3?

whatever leo is, or does is judged by the coaches.  if williams thinks leo is playing well then so be it.  leo's sin, like adams' or lees' or qwilliams is that the fans think his draft position was too high.  that may be the case given that the jets have drafted top 10 for quite a few drafts.  but that's not the same as saying he's a bad player.  leo is a good player.  is he worth re-signing at top 5 money at his position?  probably not.  as others have said there are lots of players in his position that play just as well.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Williams was overdrafted but he’s not a bad player and the coaches seem to like him. 50/50 they resign him.

You can't pay what he is going to want for the player he is when you can get a rookie dt or some cheap vet free agent to do the same when we have so many holes.  I agree he is not a terrible player but he is the type of player that can be easily replaced with a far cheaper alternative.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

People were saying we’d be utilizing tons of 4-3 looks AFTER the draft too.

We are. We're much more of a 4-3 or offshoot of a 4-3 than we are a 3-4 and it's not even close.