Copeland activated, Falk waived

AbstraKt

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I see paxton lynch got picked up to back up.  Who else is out there? Why do we not have a guy like osweiler in here.

What is sam bradford doing?

Tom savage?  Kevin hogan?  Landry jones?

After the Falk debacle we need a better alternative if darnold gets hurt again.

If Darnold gets hurt or sick again all we're playing for is 2020 draft slotting anyway so Fales is probably the right guy in that scenario...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

By all accounts Darnold was looking to be ok to play that week. What would’ve been tragic is if Darnold was healthy and didn’t get reps because we might’ve been playing Falk. Trust me, Falk getting reps would not help his cause very much, he just sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Pretty much everyone agreed that given what they were told, how he looked, there was no choice but to prepare Darnold for the game.  

Was a no win situation given the circumstances.  

Need something to mindlessly bitch about whichever way it turned out

8 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

If Darnold gets hurt or sick again all we're playing for is 2020 draft slotting anyway so Fales is probably the right guy in that scenario...

And we can then hear for the whole rest of the season  'How can gase be expected to field a competitive offense with fales at QB!'

Meanwhile a half dozen other teams in the league are going down their list of qbs succeeding or at least trying.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

And we can then hear for the whole rest of the season  'How can gase be expected to field a competitive offense with fales at QB!'

Meanwhile a half dozen other teams in the league are going down their list of qbs succeeding or at least trying.

Even with a healthy Darnold we're quite possibly looking at 0-6 in two weeks time.  If this is the case, and he goes down again, are you looking to add assets like Bradford to be more competitive in the 2nd half or to sell assets and position for 2020?  Even if we finish 0-16 with Sam at the helm do you really think the Johnsons are going to eat Gase's contract in year 1?

2 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Even with a healthy Darnold we're quite possibly looking at 0-6 in two weeks time.  If this is the case, and he goes down again, are you looking to add assets like Bradford to be more competitive in the 2nd half or to sell assets and position for 2020?  Even if we finish 0-16 with Sam at the helm do you really think the Johnsons are going to eat Gase's contract in year 1?

Well two things, #1 the jets always screw their draft position late with meaningless wins vs bad teams.

#2 you should be trying to win games and looking for a legit back up.  Many teams this year are finding surprise good QBs that at least you can look at to be #2 next year.  No reason not to try and get the best back up you can.  You also want to establish a competitive team.  We should not be looking to tank after 5 or 6 weeks.

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Well two things, #1 the jets always screw their draft position late with meaningless wins vs bad teams.

#2 you should be trying to win games and looking for a legit back up.  Many teams this year are finding surprise good QBs that at least you can look at to be #2 next year.  No reason not to try and get the best back up you can.  You also want to establish a competitive team.  We should not be looking to tank after 5 or 6 weeks.

#1 Agree

#2 JMO if you're JD and you're 0-6 in 2 weeks, and you know the massive holes this team has at CB, edge, WR and OL, you're selling prior to 10/29, accumulating as much draft capital as possible and slotting for 2020.  

If Sam goes down again, short of a team mutiny, Gase is going to get a pass regardless of whether Fales or Mike White plays vs, guys like Bradford or Osweiler.

4 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

#1 Agree

#2 JMO if you're JD and you're 0-6 in 2 weeks, and you know the massive holes this team has at CB, edge, WR and OL, you're selling prior to 10/29, accumulating as much draft capital as possible and slotting for 2020.  

If Sam goes down again, short of a team mutiny, Gase is going to get a pass regardless of whether Fales or Mike White plays vs, guys like Bradford or Osweiler.

He shouldn't get a pass. he is supposed to be a great offensive coach and many other teams are doing things with 2nd and 3rd qbs. or late rounders udfa.  Keeping flak/fales is just handing him a free pass and is doing a disservice to the rest of the team.

It severely calls into question both the gm and coaches evaluation ability at the position.

Throwing in the towel this year is unacceptable to the team and the fans.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I see paxton lynch got picked up to back up.  Who else is out there? Why do we not have a guy like osweiler in here.

What is sam bradford doing?

Tom savage?  Kevin hogan?  Landry jones?

After the Falk debacle we need a better alternative if darnold gets hurt again.

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I notice he is another guy who was in miami with gase.  His resume looks pretty bad.

We just essentially tossed a couple of games away due to a limited poor Qb and sounds like we replace him with another one.  May as well go with a young guy with upside if you ask me ratrher than a 29 year old limited journeyman who has had almost no nfl reg season action.

Sounds to me like there’s not a whole lot out there to go with. Basically screwed if Sam goes down. 

Just need to make it a point moving forward to draft a guy in the later rounds to groom a bit for the back up spot. 

5 hours ago, Lith said:

I guess Fales is the new back up. 

I was a big fan of Falk coming out of college, but man, the guy just couldn't get it done.  No pocket presence, holding hte ball too long.  Just not an NFL QB, at least not at this stage of his career.  

Agreed on all counts.  Tough spot the kid was in, but I expected better.

We'll see the next few weeks where the fault lies.  No excuses for similar play with Darnold back.

5 hours ago, HessStation said:

Me too. Thought he’d make a good back up but to be fair, the moron Gase gave Darnold all the first string reps last week, Falk was/is basically a rookie with no first string reps and a sh*t offense w a sh*t HC. 
still might make for a nice journeyman back up NFL QB, which was always best case scenario. 

Reps can’t fix a noodle arm

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Lith said:

I guess Fales is the new back up. 

I was a big fan of Falk coming out of college, but man, the guy just couldn't get it done.  No pocket presence, holding hte ball too long.  Just not an NFL QB, at least not at this stage of his career.  

good luck to the poor bastard...   much less poor than, um, me for instance...

8 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Because everyone of those QBs suck?  Only one knows the system and we needed a QB immediately? 

As long as Falk and Fales are better than any of those guys and anyone else you can think of no problemo.  If they are one ounce less sucky than the guys we have you upgrade.

If a team makes no attempt to upgrade the lousy backups you lose the moral authority to give the coach and oc a pass for awful performance because we are trotting out guys worse than alternatives.

lol 'knows the system', falk knows the system better than any QB we have including darnold.

10 hours ago, HessStation said:

Me too. Thought he’d make a good back up but to be fair, the moron Gase gave Darnold all the first string reps last week, Falk was/is basically a rookie with no first string reps and a sh*t offense w a sh*t HC. 
still might make for a nice journeyman back up NFL QB, which was always best case scenario. 

All the reps in the world weren't going to help Falk.  I'm glad Darnold got them last week and that will help him this week.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I really don't  get why we were playing Falk if they thought he was the guy to cut instead of Fales.

Easy.  In the beginning, Gase thought Falk was the better QB.  After playing Falk a few games, Gase no longer thought so, and cut him.

Who cares? Falk...Fales, Darnold got all the reps. We were playing the Eagles in Philly where this organization has NEVER WON IN ITS HISTORY. 

None of it mattered. We were losing that game if they gave Falk 3 weeks practice. 

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

As long as Falk and Fales are better than any of those guys and anyone else you can think of no problemo.  If they are one ounce less sucky than the guys we have you upgrade.

If a team makes no attempt to upgrade the lousy backups you lose the moral authority to give the coach and oc a pass for awful performance because we are trotting out guys worse than alternatives.

lol 'knows the system', falk knows the system better than any QB we have including darnold.

We had two QBs go down in one week, needed the third string during a game.   No one knew for sure how long Darnold would be out and we had a bye week coming up.  What was available was nothing in reality.  Osweiler, who I read put up the fewest yards per for a QB since the merger?  Anyone else would take a few weeks to learn the offense and then Darnolds back?  Tough spot

Knowing the system and implementing the system under duress is what seperates a scrub from a Darnold