Leonard Williams drawing interest from other teams per Schefter

4 minutes ago, slats said:

Can you guarantee that Leo Williams at whatever he's going to get on the open market will have more of an impact than another player going for a similar amount? 

Again, it's not just the pick, but it's the extra $14M or so they'd have to spend in free agency, too. That's one impact player or a couple decent starters plus whoever you take with the pick. 

I agree with you there. I'm not interested in overpaying for him, or anyone else. I pray that a team isn't stupid enough to offer him Donald type money.

3 minutes ago, genot said:

Trade for Trent Williams. Draft Chase Young, sign Ramsey as a free agent, and use the rest of draft on interior o-lineman and a WR. We'll need a center and right guard, if KO, can't cut it there. We've talked about this before. i don't think the jet's are that far away from being a very good team.

Trade what for Trent Williams?  The picks we need to draft the EDGE, CB1, WR and LG/C/RG/RT?

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Trade what for Trent Williams?  The picks we need to draft the EDGE, CB1, WR and LG/C/RG/RT?

Nobody is going to give the Skins a 1st for Williams. Offer a 2nd, and see if they bite. You are such a doom and gloomer. You'd kill off a party at the playboy mansion. Lewis has played very well at LG. Edoga in his 2nd game stuffed Lawrence and Quinn all game. Get Edoga in the weight and conditioning program in the off season, and he'll be a stud at RT.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

What would the comp pick be if they let him walk? That's where the bar is imo.

More than likely nothing since we'll be signing a bunch of free agents next year. I also don't think Leo is going to get the type of contract that would return a third even if we weren't buyers. Maybe a 4th or 5th in that scenario.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, genot said:

Nobody is going to give the Skins a 1st for Williams. Offer a 2nd, and see if they bite. You are such a doom and gloomer. You'd kill off a party at the playboy mansion. Lewis has played very well at LG. Edoga in his 2nd game stuffed Lawrence and Quinn all game. Get Edoga in the weight and conditioning program in the off season, and he'll be a stud at RT.

Don't kill the messenger.  Mike Maccagnan ran this roster into the turf and now Douglas needs to clean up the mess.  I think he can, but he needs picks to do it.

I'd do Leo for Trent Williams straight up in a heartbeat.  But I wouldn't just give up a 2nd rounder for Williams without moving other pieces.  We need every high end pick we can get.  

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

1 minute ago, genot said:

A 3rd. I believe, thats correct.

Possibly a 3rd, and ONLY if we're not buyers in free agency. 

A 2020 4th rounder is more valuable than a possible 2021 late 3rd, so I'd be willing to go as low as a 4 for Leo if absolute necessary.  

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Best you could hope for would be a 2021 third round comp pick. So a pick higher in the third in 2020 would be significantly better. I'd like to see them do better than that, but that would be my baseline. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

Best you could hope for would be a 2021 third round comp pick.

Even if we lose more free agents than we sign there is no way he is returning a third. He'd have too sign a monster contract for that to happen and I can't see Leo signing a monster contract. The NFL doesn't give out many third round compensatory picks. 

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A 2020 4th rounder is more valuable than a possible 2021 late 3rd, so I'd be willing to go as low as a 4 for Leo if absolute necessary.  

If Douglas doesn't trade him, then he will absolutely have to maneuver free agency in a way that makes sure he gets that comp pick. It's not rocket science. But that has to be a consideration, too. Not trading Leo could hamstring what he'd like to do in free agency. 

I'm hoping these "multiple teams," rumors lead to a bidding war that gets the Jets a lot better than a fourth. 

• Upvote 1

If Douglas doesn't trade him, then he will absolutely have to maneuver free agency in a way that makes sure he gets that comp pick. It's not rocket science. But that has to be a consideration, too. Not trading Leo could hamstring what he'd like to do in free agency. 

I'm hoping these "multiple teams," rumors lead to a bidding war that gets the Jets a lot better than a fourth. 

For sure.  I wouldn't at all be thrilled with just a 4th.  Hopefully JD has better negotiating chops than Macc, and even if there aren't a lot of bidders he can make it seem like they are and get us a 2nd or early 3rd.  

1 minute ago, RobR said:

Even if we lose more free agents than we sign there is no way he is returning a third. He'd have too sign a monster contract for that to happen and I can't see Leo signing a monster contract. The NFL doesn't give out many third round compensatory picks. 

That's why I said, "best you could hope." It's no guarantee. It's not out of the realm of possibility, either. Sheldon Richardson is bringing in $12.3M this year. I think a lot of teams could look at Leo and think to themselves that they can do more with him than the Jets managed to do. He won't be short of attention. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Most likely nothing since the Jets are going to be active in FA... Highest Comp pick you can get is a 3rd... and that's depending on what the next team signs him for. And most teams will understand that the Jets aren't getting a comp pick for him. 

That's why I said, "best you could hope." It's no guarantee. It's not out of the realm of possibility, either. Sheldon Richardson is bringing in $12.3M this year. I think a lot of teams could look at Leo and think to themselves that they can do more with him than the Jets managed to do. He won't be short of attention. 

Lat year there were 7 3rd round comp picks awarded, the year before only 4. I just can't see Leo signing one of the most lucrative free agent contracts in the NFL next year because those are the type of players that garner a 3rd.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, genot said:

Somebody will pay him big bucks. Doesn't mean he deserves it. That's what teams do in need of a position, hoping to et the best out of him.

But you have no clue what his market value will be or the thresholds for achieving a 3rd round comp. 

Based on what DT's around the NFL make, I would guess he's somewhere in the $8-10M per range.  That's what guys like Ndamukong Suh, Star Lotulelei, Malik Jackson, Dontari Poe, Tyrone Crawford, Derek Wolfe, Mike Daniels and Gerald McCoy make.  

I'm not sure if that kind of contract would get us a 3rd.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, RobR said:

More than likely nothing since we'll be signing a bunch of free agents next year. I also don't think Leo is going to get the type of contract that would return a third even if we weren't buyers. Maybe a 4th or 5th in that scenario.

How are you sure we're signing a bunch of free agents next year. have you discussed this with Douglas. If he does, it's kind of a slap in the face to the, build through the draft philosophy.

2 minutes ago, genot said:

How are you sure we're signing a bunch of free agents next year. have you discussed this with Douglas. If he does, it's kind of a slap in the face to the, build through the draft philosophy.

We have about a billion needs, and you yourself said earlier in this thread that we need to sign a CB1 and several O-Linemen in free agency.  It stands to reason we'll have to be buyers in order to build the kind of team Douglas and Gase envision rather than relying on Macc holdovers.  

Maybe we can build a capable roster without relying on signing UFA's, but its unlikely.  This roster needs almost a complete overhaul.  

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But you have no clue what his market value will be or the thresholds for achieving a 3rd round comp. 

Based on what DT's around the NFL make, I would guess he's somewhere in the $8-10M per range.  That's what guys like Ndamukong Suh, Star Lotulelei, Malik Jackson, Dontari Poe, Tyrone Crawford, Derek Wolfe, Mike Daniels and Gerald McCoy make.  

I'm not sure if that kind of contract would get us a 3rd.  

Im not sure neither. Don't discount the age factor. Leo is still only 25. makes a difference.Don't you think.

2 minutes ago, genot said:

Because that is what teams do when they have a lot of cap space, it's not rocket science too figure out the Jets will be spending yet again next year.

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Agreed.

Just now, genot said:

Im not sure neither. Don't discount the age factor. Leo is still only 25. makes a difference.Don't you think.

It might.  But then again not too many DT's that young hit the market.  Generally those guys get re-signed by the teams that drafted them if they're worthwhile.  Leo isn't proving worthwhile.  So it almost doesn't help him that he's still young, unless there's a team out there that thinks not one but TWO different regimes got it wrong when it came to developing/evaluating him.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We have about a billion needs, and you yourself said earlier in this thread that we need to sign a CB1 and several O-Linemen in free agency.  It stands to reason we'll have to be buyers in order to build the kind of team Douglas and Gase envision rather than relying on Macc holdovers.  

Maybe we can build a capable roster without relying on signing UFA's, but its unlikely.  This roster needs almost a complete overhaul.  

Did you watch the game yesterday. the Cowboys, don't suck. If we beat New England, maybe you'll reconsider your, we suck views. What did you expect our offense to be with a QB we pulled away from his car wash job???

2 minutes ago, RobR said:

Because that is what teams do when they have a lot of cap space, it's not rocket science too figure out the Jets will be spending yet again next year.

I hope not. if we do, we should focus on corner and guard. I don't think any impact centers will be available via free agency.

5 minutes ago, genot said:

Did you watch the game yesterday. the Cowboys, don't suck. If we beat New England, maybe you'll reconsider your, we suck views. What did you expect our offense to be with a QB we pulled away from his car wash job???

Whether we suck or not the remainder of this season, that shouldn't change how we feel about Leo.  He's a luxury item who is about to be a free agent.  Trade him now or potentially let him walk for nothing.  Seems like an easy decision to go with the former.

And I don't think one game will change the way Joe Douglas views this roster.  The OL was still a sieve.  The defense nearly blew the game despite Dallas being down two key OL and their # 1 WR.  My guess is Douglas sees the big picture on this one.  We had a really good game but still need a brand new OL, a CB1, a pass rusher and maybe another WR.  Yesterday didn't change that.  

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Whether we suck or not the remainder of this season, that shouldn't change how we feel about Leo.  He's a luxury item who is about to be a free agent.  Trade him now or potentially let him walk for nothing.  Seems like an easy decision to go with the former.

And I don't think one game will change the way Joe Douglas views this roster.  The OL was still a sieve.  The defense nearly blew the game despite Dallas being down two key OL and their # 1 WR.  My guess is Douglas sees the big picture on this one.  We had a really good game but still need a brand new OL, a CB1, a pass rusher and maybe another WR.  Yesterday didn't change that.  

Darnold had a great game, but he threw two bad passes in the red zone, that cost us at least 6 points. Our defense didn't almost cost us. our lack of a real good corner did. They came out in the second half and started to run the ball well. give some credit to Elliot. Great backs, find a way to get their yards.

NFL trade rumors: Jets’ Adam Gase won’t rule out Leonard Williams trade

Updated 3:13 PM; Today 3:00 PM 

So far, the Jets have resisted the urge to trade Leonard Williams.

But head coach Adam Gase won’t rule out the possibility of general manager Joe Douglas selling the 25-year-old defensive lineman sometime before the NFL trade deadline.

“I don’t know what other teams are thinking, but right now I like the way our guys are rolling,” Gase said. “Anything’s possible, but I like the way our team is.”

Williams has long been thought of as a potential trade chip because he’s in the final year of his rookie contract. So, if Douglas isn’t interested in re-signing him, it could make sense to trade him for some future assets.

The rumor mill fired back up again on Sunday, when ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported that multiple NFL teams have expressed interest in Williams.

But Gase, when asked Monday if the Jets might deal Williams, clearly wasn’t interested in having that conversation.

“I really don’t deal in the hypothetical aspects,” Gase said. “These guys get calls all year round about trades. Really to me that’s not something I’m going to be dealing with unless something’s on the table.”

Williams, for his part, isn’t worried about the fact that he could be on the move over the coming weeks; the NFL trade deadline is Oct. 29.

“I wouldn’t say it makes me uneasy,” Williams said. "You see the best players in the league get traded. It’s not like it’s a personal thing, it’s just the way the business is. I can’t take anything personal and that’s why I said I can’t focus too much on it because I can’t control it. The only thing I can do is control my play, and wherever I end up (after the trade deadline), I will focus on that.”

54 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

am fascinated by the possibility of a trade...   but i can think of no potential targets...    for me it'd be ideal to plug n play an OL or a CB...   

How about TB who has Bowles or KC who haven't been able to stop the run