Leonard Williams drawing interest from other teams per Schefter

Eagles writer for The Athletic throwing out names for Eagles to trade for:

Jets DL Leonard Williams: Williams’ reputation probably outpaces his production. The former No. 6 overall pick has only 7.0 sacks in 36 games since the start of the 2017 season. On the plus side, he could play multiple positions along the defensive line. He will be a free agent this offseason and indications are that he’s unlikely to be back in New Jersey beyond this season. ESPN reported Sunday that teams have inquired about Williams.

What it might take: “Hey, Joe. Sorry we weren’t able to catch up after the game last week, but it was great to see you. Listen, I hope you didn’t take those 10 sacks too personally, but I have an idea to help you protect your quarterback’s spleen moving forward. What if we book Halapoulivaati Vaitai an Amtrak ticket up to you and send along a fourth-round pick? We’ll take Leonard Williams off your hands. Just a couple friends helping each other out, right?”

If all Douglas gets is a 4th rounder it would be a complete disaster.  I don't believe he's that bad of a GM.

What's more likely to happen is he'll get decent value (ie 2nd and a 5th) and people around here will be erecting a statue in his honor.

• Haha 1

If we get a comp, best case we get a 2021 late 3rd (after the 32 picks of the third round); since you have to wait a year it is about the same as a 2020 4th (last), so a 4th is equivalent to the best case scenario for letting him walk. If he gets a 4th or better, I pull the trigger. Equal comp and save what is left on this year's contract.

We are so deep at DT, I say pull the trigger.

8 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

I'd take a 2nd and a 5th and begin stock piling picks to use on our OLINE pretty much exclusively 

more patient than me... I'd love to see a PLAYER PLAY THIS YEAR in a position that has been upgraded by the trade...

i know, greedy mfer, eh?

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

more patient than me... I'd love to see a PLAYER PLAY THIS YEAR in a position that has been upgraded by the trade...

i know, greedy mfer, eh?

I just would think a team like KC would be hesitant giving up any serviceable player considering they're in a position to win now and may not want to rock the boat

33 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

A 2nd and 5th for a Leo is absolutely statue worthy. 

If that's the case then Macc should have a shrine constructed outside of Metlife for his masterful trade of Sheldon which netted him the ammunition he needed to land Darnold.

3 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

But he does Pac. Or did, I should say. 

Theres no denying the facts. 

Getting Darnold could turn out to be the best move any Jet gm has ever made.  That may suck to you but I think it was pretty good.

As others have pointed out, the logic of simply assuming a 3rd round comp for Leo is extraordinarily flawed and highly questionable.  He is far from guaranteed to get a big enough contract in FA to be worth a 3rd and even if he is, the Jets are then stuck either losing that pick by FA spending, or being handcuffed from making any big moves to help a roster desperate for them.

Bottom line, I'd be fine with anything as low as a 2020 4th, as while obviously not ideal, it ultimately nets out as a win for the only cost to the Jets' being a half season without a major disappointment who has contributed nothing of value to a mostly awful season.  Keeping him around ultimately provides very little benefit to the team at this point or in the future, so let the bidding begin.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 2

2 hours ago, Copernicus said:

I just would think a team like KC would be hesitant giving up any serviceable player considering they're in a position to win now and may not want to rock the boat

I hope the chiefs give up a 2, and a 5 for Leonard Williams.   Let them blow draft picks on a player that isn’t helping them win any games.   

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Pac said:

If that's the case then Macc should have a shrine constructed outside of Metlife for his masterful trade of Sheldon which netted him the ammunition he needed to land Darnold.

Macc received great value for Sheldon and it did give him the ammo to move up to the 3rd overall pick. But, no way did he believe that Sam would be there at 3. Only the Browns asinine move taking Faker and then Gettleman taking a RB at 2 were we able to grab Sam. Macc should not get any credit for Sam. That draft should have been Sam, Baker/Allen and Macc probably would have taken Rosen. Damn did we get lucky.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 4
  • Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

If we get a comp, best case we get a 2021 late 3rd (after the 32 picks of the third round); since you have to wait a year it is about the same as a 2020 4th (last), so a 4th is equivalent to the best case scenario for letting him walk. If he gets a 4th or better, I pull the trigger. Equal comp and save what is left on this year's contract.

We are so deep at DT, I say pull the trigger.

That's only if we don't sign more FA than we lose, which isn't a given.

I'd take a 4 for Leo

10 hours ago, C Mart said:

Eagles writer for The Athletic throwing out names for Eagles to trade for:

Jets DL Leonard Williams: Williams’ reputation probably outpaces his production. The former No. 6 overall pick has only 7.0 sacks in 36 games since the start of the 2017 season. On the plus side, he could play multiple positions along the defensive line. He will be a free agent this offseason and indications are that he’s unlikely to be back in New Jersey beyond this season. ESPN reported Sunday that teams have inquired about Williams.

What it might take: “Hey, Joe. Sorry we weren’t able to catch up after the game last week, but it was great to see you. Listen, I hope you didn’t take those 10 sacks too personally, but I have an idea to help you protect your quarterback’s spleen moving forward. What if we book Halapoulivaati Vaitai an Amtrak ticket up to you and send along a fourth-round pick? We’ll take Leonard Williams off your hands. Just a couple friends helping each other out, right?”

An OLineman and a #4 is an interesting proposal

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Losmeister said:

they popped into my head...  but WHO can we get from THEM? I couldnt think of anyone...

KC wouldn't break up their team, they're aiming for the SB.  But their desperation to get there

may squeeze them to give up a #2 and a #5