Sam Darnold’s Incredible Magic Changes Everything for Jets 

Sam is the player we thought he would be! This guy is so young and good right now - imagine him 2 years from now. If the Jets start building this team correctly and I think they will - we will be a perennial playoff team for years to come - and hopefully it starts real soon. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

people talk a lot bout sams last 4 games last year....

" During the last four weeks of the 2018 campaign, the third-year receiver caught 23 passes for 336 yards and graded fifth-best among wide receivers with 20 or more targets, according to Pro Football Focus"

he gets open. he gets open deep for big play tds.

no, hes not the wr #1 dude who gets targeted 10+ times game and has a big frame.

but he adds good value. and should have earned more respect around here.

• Upvote 2

Despite it being a football norm, it never ceases to amaze me how a true leader will transform your offense. The very same players that looked God awful over the last 3 weeks experienced a metamorphosis. They all instantly looked 5 years younger. You could see the confidence growing inside the players as the game wore on. They were all much more intelligent players yesterday. This is proof positive how great a player Sam Darnold is ultimately going to end up being.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

Darnold was amazing yesterday.   Shame on Beningo for wanting to tank for Tua.  

It made ZERO sense. If a great prospect like Sam failed here or didn’t show signs of hope, it would be due to the neglect of the offensive roster. Bringing in another QB would have been completely *ss backwards. That argument was and still is insane.

Our OL is complete trash but Sam masks it as much as possible because of his mobility. It’s incredible actually. Let’s just enjoy the season, judge the body of work of the whole team and then make roster moves accordingly. Sam is the entire team and all that matters. 

• Upvote 1

Part of why we hired Gase was because he was suppose to be a good fit for Darnold and his development. This should be a big part of how Gase is evaluated. So far so good. He let Sam lose and Sam did his thing. 

I’ve been down on Robby. But he showed up. A couple of more bombs like that and it may give Bell some breathing room underneath. 

• Upvote 1

Sam has an innate ability to move within the pocket but also to throw to spots where guys WILL be.

He not only hit on multiple downfield throws that threaded coverage (the late throw down the middle was essentially between 3 defenders) but even the throw he missed down the sideline was absolutely ridiculous given how he basically flicked the ball to a spot and almost hit crowder out of nowhere.  3/4 of those type plays each game is often the difference between 7-9 and 11-5.

• Upvote 2

I love (LOVE ❤️) Sam. Yesterday was the most fun I’ve had watching football since the Jets Packers game near the end of last year. That said, he missed two critical throws in the second half when he could have put the game away and not have to rely on a failed 2 point conversion.

The first is the obvious int...threw it high. The end result sucked but overall it’s ok because it was just a rare bad throw from Sam. But the second was the third down right before the cowboys got the ball back. He had Robby wide open running an underneath slant, and instead he tried a much more difficult throw outside and Crowder couldn’t haul it in. Romo said something about working from outside-in on that read, but from what I could discern on TV, that should have been an easy read for Sam pre-snap. There was no one covering the middle of the field and Robby was one-on-one. 

I believe Sam has the ability to be the face of the NFL for the next decade-plus, so I’m annoyed at things like the above. Yes it’s just his first game back and he’s only 22 and they still won and it’s probably best for him to make those mistakes in this wasted season so he can learn from it, but that third down play would have been a back-breaker for the opposition, and it’s what I’ve seen Peyton and Brady do to opponents for most of my life. I want Sam to be at that point.

A legit QB makes all the difference.  Sam elevates the play of everyone on offense and hides some of the deficiencies that still exist (OL), keeps the defense off the field, creates field position, and allows the D to utilize their full array of schemes as a result of not playing from behind all the time.  Yes, it's only one game, but as long as Sam is leading this team, we will be trending up.   

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

and it’s what I’ve seen Peyton and Brady do to opponents for most of my life. I want Sam to be at that point.

100% the flashy highlight reel plays are fun but the greats routinely extend drives and wear down the opposing teams with methodical efficiency. 

I remarked in the game thread buts that what I was hoping to see Sunday, Darnold take the air out of any comeback hopes with a couple of well timed 10+ play 5+ minute drives. We almost had it until the INT

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, CTM said:

100% the flashy highlight reel plays are fun but the greats routinely extend drives and wear down the opposing teams with methodical efficiency. 

I remarked in the game thread buts that what I was hoping to see Sunday, Darnold take the air out of any comeback hopes with a couple of well timed 10+ play 5+ minute drives. We almost had it until the INT

Yeah that interception was a back breaker. I get what your saying, the great ones stomp the neck. Wanted see Sam come away with another TD there and put the Cowboys to bed. Good first game but he will need much much more than that to be in it with the Pats. 

6 minutes ago, CTM said:

Making scheduled throws, staying on script, and picking up first downs is what separates talented QBs from winning QBs.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, CTM said:

I was waiting to see that too and the int gets a pass From me as i think it was deflected and he seems to have such the right demeanor. Yesterday really gave good feels about Darnold.   Would love to see them get a LT, WR and god willing Herndon is actually good