Fire Gase Brigade

Jetster

27 minutes ago, slats said:

It's not like this thread is smart. 

The Jets opened the season with a weak roster and found themselves on their third QB in the second game of the season. I really don't think any coach could've succeeded in those circumstances - although I do think it's fair to say maybe the team could've looked at least competent. But they didn't. 

Darnold comes back, and it's like watching a different team. Gase has been here all year. Without Sam, the team was unwatchable. With Sam, they're competitive. The conclusion to be drawn here isn't that Gase is a good coach. Perhaps the conclusion is that Darnold is a really good QB, though. 

One nearly blown victory does not make a good head coach. The jury is still very much out. He's not getting fired this year, though. Not as long as Darnold remains out there. So he has that going for him. 

If the Cowboys tied the game, the decision to not stop the clock to give your offense enough time to get down the field and get in FG range would have been a complete and total Todd Bowles moment.   Going into overtime would not have been good.  Cowboys had all the momentum. 

Game balls for the coaching staff went to Williams.  He shut down the best offense in the NFL.  I think Darnold coming back and showing what we were missing is actually more a knock on Gase than a compliment.  You cant let the entire building collapse because of 1 injury.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Gase coached well with a franchise qb at the helm but what did he show without darnold? How come when tb is out bb finds a way to keep his team disciplined?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Not every coach is BB.

Expecting the same type of results falls on you.  IF BB was here?  I don't even think HE could make Luke Falk look like an NFL QB, especially with this roster

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

That’s the biggest issue with this offense going forward. They still were not able to open holes for Bell. I think it’s going to be an issue all year. 

I don't agree.  The Cowboys gambled on Sam not being able to beat them and lost.  Now you're gonna see other teams start to key-in on the passing game and, theoretically, that's going to open up the running game a lot more.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I’m no rocket scientist but at least I know the difference between your and you’re. 

Also, I’ve never started a fire Gase thread. 

But do go on accosting fellow Jets fans with your outrage!

What do you do when YOUR wrong? You fall back on being the spelling police. Dumb.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, slats said:

This is a garbage post. 

Some fans get too up after a win, and too down after a loss. That's the nature of fandom. You seem to fall clearly into the former category. It's one win. MIddle of October, and the Jets have finally won a game. Yeah, let's call out everyone who's still a little skeptical about the state of their 1-4 football team. They're the butt hurt fools. Not you, though. 

Some moderator. Instead of being level headed you defend guys ruining the forum with FIRE GASE threads 4 games into the season. At least I was calling for Bowles to be fired after that horrific loss in Buffalo to a team with its bags packed & Rex Ryan at the helm. NOW THATS A FIREABLE OFFENSE! 

Has the season been frustrating? Of course, we lost a starting LB B4 the season started, lost another to suspension, lost out starting TE to suspension, lost Mosely & then Darnold with Mono, Seimian,QW, Jenkins, KO, and these fans act like Gase is a freaking miracle worker? Darnolds performance proved how much the QB & Oline were holding the offense back. The oline is not good enough to protect a bad QB or run the ball, and the 3rd string QB was exactly what we should have expected, terrible. But lets fire the coach. 

• Thumb Down 2

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

Some moderator. Instead of being level headed you defend guys ruining the forum with FIRE GASE threads 4 games into the season. At least I was calling for Bowles to be fired after that horrific loss in Buffalo to a team with its bags packed & Rex Ryan at the helm. NOW THATS A FIREABLE OFFENSE! 

Has the season been frustrating? Of course, we lost a starting LB B4 the season started, lost another to suspension, lost out starting TE to suspension, lost Mosely & then Darnold with Mono, Seimian,QW, Jenkins, KO, and these fans act like Gase is a freaking miracle worker? Darnolds performance proved how much the QB & Oline were holding the offense back. The oline is not good enough to protect a bad QB or run the ball, and the 3rd string QB was exactly what we should have expected, terrible. But lets fire the coach. 

You're right. If I was a good moderator, I'd've banned you for a little bit for calling other posters butt hurt idiots for thinking a 1-4 head coach might not be the long term answer. But I have a soft spot for you homers, so you got a free pass. Enjoy it. 

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Jetster said:

This is the new NFL, our best player is Sam Darnold, the Cowboys were missing their starting CBs, Dallas has 1 of the best front 7s in football & stuffed our running game behind our terrible run blockers all day. So Gase decided to not smash his head against a brick wall to burn some time off the clock. He went rogue, the anti Todd Bowles, LOVE IT!

a new NFL really so clock management does not mater, helping your defense  with proper game management does not matter? I am not sayin you dont throw the ball but you need to burn time off the clock if it was 10 yrs ago or ten yrs from now. 

Managing the game is still managing the game and game situations make a difference after throwing 2 times and stopping the clock after burning 20 seconds off, what is the likely hood of getting a first down? it is better to burn some time help your defensive unit which you say Gase does not trust (that makes no sense they have been the only unit to really show up).

This is more then smashing your head against a brick wall it is playing percentages. we disagree fine but your argument makes limited sense. In the 3rd quarter you are right but the 4th quarter with a lead and time running down it becomes clock management why help Dallas by giving them more time n the clock......this was poor play calling by Gase at worse, at best it is questionable., if they make the first then it becomes a moot point but they didn't and the game went into the last minute. Play it my way and the only way they are still on the field is of Dallas burns times out quicker and goes into a hurry pass offense.

You may like the call but several writers and ex-players question that. How about if we lost the game because they did not burn time off the clock?

12 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

That is a lame excuse. There were other opportunities  to get a TD period.

Oh, I get what you were looking for, you wanted us to control every possession for a TD or FG. That's pretty optimistic against a stout Dallas defense but they do have a pretty impressive front 7. Sam threw a pick & Crowder dropped a 3rd down pass. How many 2nd half possessions did you think we had?

5 minutes ago, rammagen said:

a new NFL really so clock management does not mater, helping your defense  with proper game management does not matter? I am not sayin you dont throw the ball but you need to burn time off the clock if it was 10 yrs ago or ten yrs from now. 

Managing the game is still managing the game and game situations make a difference after throwing 2 times and stopping the clock after burning 20 seconds off, what is the likely hood of getting a first down? it is better to burn some time help your defensive unit which you say Gase does not trust (that makes no sense they have been the only unit to really show up).

This is more then smashing your head against a brick wall it is playing percentages. we disagree fine but your argument makes limited sense. In the 3rd quarter you are right but the 4th quarter with a lead and time running down it becomes clock management why help Dallas by giving them more time n the clock......this was poor play calling by Gase at worse, at best it is questionable., if they make the first then it becomes a moot point but they didn't and the game went into the last minute. Play it my way and the only way they are still on the field is of Dallas burns times out quicker and goes into a hurry pass offense.

You may like the call but several writers and ex-players question that. How about if we lost the game because they did not burn time off the clock?

Do you know how to beat Bill Belichick? OFF SCRIPT! Like Philly did in the Super Bowl. People thought Belichick was crazy in 2001 Super Bowl against the Rams having a young Tom Brady go back & pass instead of just kneeling & praying you win the coin toss. When you play a superior team you have to throw a couple of haymakers, that's what Gase did & I applaud him for it. I like the cut of his jib.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

21 minutes ago, Jetster said:

All of this yet haven’t enunciated why it chafes you so much.

Dude don’t do this after one game....

Gase isn’t as bad as the 0-4 start when we were running Luke Falk out there, but there is plenty of season left that needs to play out...

Regardless as much as I don’t like Gase and never liked the hire...I’ve always acknowledged that he needs to get at least next season with a healthy roster and hopefully a retooled team. 

10 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Oh, I get what you were looking for, you wanted us to control every possession for a TD or FG. That's pretty optimistic against a stout Dallas defense but they do have a pretty impressive front 7. Sam threw a pick & Crowder dropped a 3rd down pass. How many 2nd half possessions did you think we had?

Excuse me but Dallas couldn't  get out of it's own way for a whole half and we marched up and down the feild against this stout front 7, we even hit a home run play to Anderson, then in the second half they adjust as a team on offense and defense and our offensive  genius  could only muster 3 points in a whole half. That  isn't  good coaching, that is the same crap we have complained about on this very board about Bowles for his entire tenure.  We just happen to stop a 2 point try to win the game this time. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Do you know how to beat Bill Belichick? OFF SCRIPT! Like Philly did in the Super Bowl. People thought Belichick was crazy in 2001 Super Bowl against the Rams having a young Tom Brady go back & pass instead of just kneeling & praying you win the coin toss. When you play a superior team you have to throw a couple of haymakers, that's what Gase did & I applaud him for it. I like the cut of his jib.

but this was not against the patriots was it, emotional aren't you? It was against Dallas, Math does not lie just the people using it? You may like the cut of his jib but that series for 3 straight passes was questionable play calling at best and if we would lost the game what would have been said? There is no defending bad play calling or coaching period, ever.

The Math says If I burn some clock, my chances of winning goes up. I would call the 92 yrd td a hay maker there is time to take shots and there is a time to play to win the game by playing smart.  Those hay makers we were wild swings that missed entirely they were not smart play calls. Run the ball once burn some time and my chances of winning go up by limiting the time the opponent has the ball.

SO you would give the coach an A and I would give him a B that is what you are bent out of shape about that I am critical of a coach with a loosing record making bad play calls that could have cost us the game and you want to defend that. Good for you, But you dont get to call me a hater for saying the truth. You should not be calling anyone a hater for calling what they see and think. 

1 game does not change most opinions on Gase, you are definitely not going to change mine because your argument is based on feelings not facts. Fcts show if run the ball once you can burn more time off the board limiting Dalls's time for a come back. You did not get the first so running on third and making them call a time out or burn a minute of the clock. It is call situational football and you need to coach for the situation.

4 hours ago, Xtina said:

What did you find in Gase’s game plan and coaching yesterday to be impressive, leading to the win? 

You are right we just saw how important a franchise QB is to a head coach. How does that support your argument that he is a good head coach if he can win with a FQB but not without one? 

I know this wasn't asked of me but I'll chime in anyway...

I've seen a couple games now where Gase has schemed multiple WRs open.  We're talking about a group of largely WR2 and WR3 type guys running around.  Gase can only open the door, he can't force the QB to walk thru it.  When he opened the door for Luke Falk the currently unemployed QB3 held the ball too long, made bad reads, and/or threw it to the wrong guy (sometimes the wrong team).  Last week we saw Pick-6's, QB fumbles returned for TDs, and 10 sacks.

Yesterday, with no other change in offensive personnel (still no Herndon), we gave up only 2 sacks, threw 2 TDs, and won the game.

Asking why a HC can win with a FQB but not with practice squad QB against NFL level competition is like asking Dale Earnhardt Jr. why he can win a NASCAR race with a loaded car but can't win while driving a Yugo.

The Jets showed that they can be multiple on offense yesterday, scoring with the big pass play but also while driving the length of the field on multiple, time-consuming drives that demoralized the Cowboys.

I think we got a glimpse yesterday of what this Jets team could be like and it should be exciting once they get their TE1 back and (next year) hopefully improve the OLine and get a true WR1.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, rammagen said:

but you did 't get the 1st down or burn time of the clock

Are you talking about our last drive that ended in the FG? That drive started with 6 and a half minutes to go and we used up 3 minutes of that during our drive. Dallas had all their timeouts too. 

Oddly enough we ran Bell on 1st and 2nd down to get to our 20. Why not throw it for the sticks considering we had 13 first downs passing the ball? We only had 4 rushing, and Dallas would've called a timeout if we didn't get the first down anyway.

We were passing well, so you go with the better option there.

So we simply know that if you give a coach a franchise great Qb he can make an offense look decent and anything else looks like sheer and utter garbage.  I feel the same way about Gase now as I did before, he is not a good coach.

He still even in that game yesterday was making darnold a statue back there stuck in the pocket with zero planned roll out plays which makes a plays success 100% dependant on the oline doing their job.

If you look at Watson, mahommes, wilson they all have roll outs and mobility plays to go along with in the pocket plays.

A great offensive coach is suppose to cobble together at least limited success without all the tools but he was totally unable to get anything out of the jets until darnold came back and suddenly he is a genius again.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Not every coach is BB.

Expecting the same type of results falls on you.  IF BB was here?  I don't even think HE could make Luke Falk look like an NFL QB, especially with this roster

But here is the rub while allot of us were not expecting wins we were expecting adjustments to help the team and Gase did not do that. So basically people defending Gase (I am happy we won) are saying he needs a great qb to win, a great QB covers up allot. esp if the coach is bad. 

Lets see what happens a few more games before people anoint Gase as anything because if he was anything great he would still be in Miami, what ever he is or what ever he develops into is on him going forward.. Because right now he is a coach with a loosing record and questionable play calling and that is based on his time in Miami and here

54 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Gase isn’t as bad as the 0-4 start when we were running Luke Falk out there, but there is plenty of season left that needs to play out...

Regardless as much as I don’t like Gase and never liked the hire...I’ve always acknowledged that he needs to get at least next season with a healthy roster and hopefully a retooled team. 

Agreed. Don’t know why Jetster cares but yeah i hated the Gase hire and obviously hope I’m wrong and he’s the next Belichik. Both are total d bags so he’s got that going for him 

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Falk was on the practice squad to start the season. Or are you suggesting we should have traded picks for another backup QB once Siemien went down? 

Well, personally, I would always keep 3 qbs on the roster, and would ensure that they are at least capable of running the offense that I wish to run.  But, thats just me.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

In week two?

Guess you missed that the backup was Siemien and he went out during a game.  They should have signed a different 3rd string, practice squad QB.  Stupid Gase/Douglas

Why even waste a spot on the practice squad for the guy, if he is so incapable, that the entire team falls apart if he is forced to play.  He was in miami last year, couldn’t gase figure that out?    Like i just said in my previous post, I would have 3 qbs on the roster capable of running the offense I want to run, at least to even some degree. 

1 hour ago, carlito1171 said:

Agrees, clearly the offense was going to be better with Darnold back.  If it wasn't then maybe you think about firing Gase.  But I don't think that is an issue.   The question is how the Offense, Darnold and Gase develop and hopefully progress this year going into next.     Then it becomes about retooling the OL, getting a CB and a real pass rusher. While being able to create the depth this team needs so injuries don't absolutely cripple them.  Joe Douglas will have a lot on his plate in the offseason.  

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

Why even waste a spot on the practice squad for the guy, if he is so incapable, that the entire team falls apart if he is forced to play.  He was in miami last year, couldn’t gase figure that out?    Like i just said in my previous post, I would have 3 qbs on the roster capable of running the offense I want to run, at least to even some degree. 

Think that’s why he was the practice squad not taking up a roster spot?