Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TuscanyTile2

Today is 10/14/2019: Rank The QBs From The 2018 Draft

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Right now my rankings are:

1) Darnold

2) Lamar Jackson

3) Josh Allen

4) Mayfield

5) Rosen

Agree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Right now my rankings are:

1) Darnold

2) Lamar Jackson

3) Josh Allen

4) Mayfield

5) Rosen

Right now it's...

Lamar

Kyle Allen

Sammy

Mason Rudolph

Josh Allen

Baker

Rosen

 

Within 5 years it'll be our boy Sammy on top of that list. Lamar's type don't last long in this league, Baker continues to do his best Sanchez impression wearing #6, both Allen's and Mason Rudolph continue to have decent careers. Kyle Allen might even take that Carolina team to a few playoff berths after they dump/trade Cam Newton. Josh Rosen will bounce around the league and never find the right fit. We dodged a bullet there.

  • Confused 1
  • Butt Fumble 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My updated rankings:

1- lamar jackson

2- Josh Allen

3- Kyle Allen

4- Sam Darnold

5 - Mayfield

6 - Rudolph

7 - Rosen

  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of the 1st Rounders....

 

1. Lamar Jackson

2. Sam Darnold

3A. Josh Allen

3B. Baker Mayfield

5. Josh Rosen

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

My updated rankings:

1- lamar jackson

2- Josh Allen

3- Kyle Allen

4- Sam Darnold

5 - Mayfield

6 - Rudolph

7 - Rosen

Danny dimes better than all though right?

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't get all the Lamar love.  RG III says hi.  We have seen this all before, and it never works out; the QB gets hurt and then it's all downhill.  Is he really the one to change this trend?  hey, maybe he is and I'll eat crow, but I need to see it be sustainable before I believe.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so far / to date..

1) Lamar Jackson

2)  Josh Allen

3) Sam   :wub:

4) Mayfield

5) Rosen

 

 

 

cheers ~ ~

:beer:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Legend Killa7 said:

I don't get all the Lamar love.  RG III says hi.  We have seen this all before, and it never works out; the QB gets hurt and then it's all downhill.  Is he really the one to change this trend?  hey, maybe he is and I'll eat crow, but I need to see it be sustainable before I believe.

I agree, but for now Lamar is the real deal.  He may burn bright but short, and his window might be 5-7 years instead of the 12+ year careers that pocket passers can have.  We've been discussing this in another thread but I see a similarity with Josh Allen.  Allen is big, has a cannon, and can run/scramble....but his accuracy is lacking and if you force him into needing a long drive with numerous 10-15 yard completions, confining him to being a pocket passer, he's mediocre.  Sadly, I think Josh Allen (and perhaps Lamar) will go the way Cam Newton is going....taking too many hits, losing his running effectiveness and thus, his overall effectiveness as a QB.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I agree, but for now Lamar is the real deal.  He may burn bright but short, and his window might be 5-7 years instead of the 12+ year careers that pocket passers can have.  We've been discussing this in another thread but I see a similarity with Josh Allen.  Allen is big, has a cannon, and can run/scramble....but his accuracy is lacking and if you force him into needing a long drive with numerous 10-15 yard completions, confining him to being a pocket passer, he's mediocre.  Sadly, I think Josh Allen (and perhaps Lamar) will go the way Cam Newton is going....taking too many hits, losing his running effectiveness and thus, his overall effectiveness as a QB.

I guess, but that is why I do not like these "let's rank the 2018 QBs TODAY" posts.  Last week, Sam is dead last and today some have him 1st.  after one game?  My point on Lamar is:  which of these QBS would I have wanted the Jets to have drafted back in 2018 for the long run.  And I would not say Lamar.  As some have said, he was taken last in the 1st round, which means he went to the best team.  If he's our QB, he's not doing nearly as well as he is in Balto.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm happy we ended up with Darnold. He hasn't proven to be the best of the bunch yet, but it's just a matter of time.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was a Rosen guy. (Also Jackson tho) 

He really must be as bad of a colossal dip ship they said he’d be. Such a nice and shiny skill set to throw away so early though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

I guess, but that is why I do not like these "let's rank the 2018 QBs TODAY" posts.  Last week, Sam is dead last and today some have him 1st.  after one game?  My point on Lamar is:  which of these QBS would I have wanted the Jets to have drafted back in 2018 for the long run.  And I would not say Lamar.  As some have said, he was taken last in the 1st round, which means he went to the best team.  If he's our QB, he's not doing nearly as well as he is in Balto.

I agree, but that's a different question.

Who could be considered the best QB of that group today?  Lamar Jackson

Who would you want as your FQB for the next decade?  Sam Darnold

Those are my answers at least.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right Now

1) Jackson- He's putting up impressive numbers on the air, and ground. Plus his team is in 1st. Easy choice right now.

2) Darnold- Ever since he hurt his foot last year he's been the most impressive. Just need to see him keep it up for a few more games to give him a safe 1st place vote. However yesterday did really add fuel to the fire. 

3) Allen- Numbers aren't that impressive, but his team is 4-1. And although those 4 wins have been with tons of luck, and against poor teams he has shown some good clutch ability. 

4) Mayfield- Reallllllyyyyy struggling. His numbers are bad plain and simple, although his hyped up supporting cast has been nothing but disappointing so far.

5) Rosen- He was just benched, and has a 50 QB rating this year. Bad team or not, it's a bad look.

 

When All Is Said and Done

1) Darnold- Has the best mix between current ability, and ceiling. If he keeps up the pace like yesterday, and the final 4 games of last year; him at 1 is a no brainer. Because his biggest knock was turnovers, and if he can limit them; there's nothing in the way of his stardom (aside from another case of mono).

2) Jackson- Don't think he has super impressive passing skills, but they're good enough to strike a scary balance between his legs, and arm. He's gonna win a ton of games until he blows out his legs.

3) Mayfield (Could easily be flip flopped for Jackson)- Though he's struggling now, he still showed a ton last year and I believe he could salvage his performance and remind people why he was so hyped. Just worried about his decision making (on and off the field)

4) Allen- Has had a streak of some nice wins, and has one of the biggest cannons known to man. However I just don't feel that he can sustain a long term career unless he greatly improves his passing skills.

5) Rosen :(- The definition of being thrown to the wolves. Pre-draft I was high on him, but he's been dealt the worst hand this league has to offer. It'll take something special to save this young man's career. I really do feel bad for Rosen

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I was a 

Rosen

Darnold

Jackson

Mayfield

Allen

guy but my opinions went all over the place in order due to my lack of backbone pre draft media harping.

i did have a boner for Rosen and Jackson and was weary of Mayfield. Weary of Allen too but his size/cannon arm/legs made me a little scared to sh*t on him too much. Darnold was always kind of down the middle and in a lot of ways the safest 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I was a Rosen guy. (Also Jackson tho) 

He really must be as bad of a colossal dip ship they said he’d be. Such a nice and shiny skill set to throw away so early though. 

Not ashamed to admit I was in a similar camp.  I thought Rosen would be better.  Obviously he's had a very, very rough deal entering the NFL and I still don't think he's gotten a good opportunity (between 1 year under Steve Wilks in AZ and now on the worst team in football), but it's clear he can't rise above any of those circumstances.  Rosen looked like the safe, polished, accurate QB who makes good decisions coming out of college.  But he was never the guy giving you those types of Wow moments with either his arm or his legs.  At least with Darnold, Allen, Mayfield, Lamar we've seen each of them make at least a handful of jaw-dropping plays that make you say, "Whoa!  This guy is flashing some greatness."  Haven't really seen that with Rosen at all.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn't mind seeing Darnold surrounded by guys like Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce, Deandre Hopkins, etc. either!  He dropped a ball right into Robby Anderson's lap for a 92 yard score.  Get Sam some elite playmakers please!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, FireTheJohnsons said:

Danny dimes better than all though right?

have you heard of the previous QB he liked?  it's scary.  good thing he doesn't like sam.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Not ashamed to admit I was in a similar camp.  I thought Rosen would be better.  Obviously he's had a very, very rough deal entering the NFL and I still don't think he's gotten a good opportunity (between 1 year under Steve Wilks in AZ and now on the worst team in football), but it's clear he can't rise above any of those circumstances.  Rosen looked like the safe, polished, accurate QB who makes good decisions coming out of college.  But he was never the guy giving you those types of Wow moments with either his arm or his legs.  At least with Darnold, Allen, Mayfield, Lamar we've seen each of them make at least a handful of jaw-dropping plays that make you say, "Whoa!  This guy is flashing some greatness."  Haven't really seen that with Rosen at all.

Couldn’t wish him the worst being on the Dolphins but I think his book will eventually be reopened a few times if/as he matures and still wants to play. I’d love having him as a back up w a real vet franchise qb for a few years. He’s really gotten the short end so far in his early career. Deservingly so not.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darnold

Jackson

Mayfield

Allen

Rosen

Honestly, seeing what the Jets offense looks like without Darnold, then with him, is the biggest endorsement you could get. I don't sense that with any of the other guys...

It's fine to have Jackson currently ranked higher based on his overall stats/wins but I think you're crazy if you'd actually rather have him as your franchise QB going forward.

After looking really strong last year Baker's sophomore slump is troubling to say the least. He has serious flaws in his game. 

Allen is way better than I thought he'd be, but his ceiling is always going to be a poor man's Cam Newton.

Rosen was dealt a tough hand but it's not a good sign when getting yanked for Ryan Fitzpatrick dramatically improves the offense.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Sam > Baker

That's my ranking. 

If I started a franchise today I would honestly still take Rosen over Mayfield. Jmo but I really would. ie I think Rosen would have better numbers and look better on the Browns today if thrown into the same situation.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Icer said:

I'm happy we ended up with Darnold. He hasn't proven to be the best of the bunch yet, but it's just a matter of time.

I think when you compare him to Falk and Siemian it becomes very clear very quickly how elite Sam's skills are, especially in things you cant really coach like pocket awareness, ability to learn from mistakes and how fast he can process information. He is the most talented of the bunch by far, and barring a game against an extremely strong defense when he had mono, he has pretty much been elite for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly don’t know to what extreme Rosen is an a$$hole or what his off field work ethic is...but that said I’d still take him over Allen too, today, if I were starting a franchise from scratch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Wouldn't mind seeing Darnold surrounded by guys like Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce, Deandre Hopkins, etc. either!  He dropped a ball right into Robby Anderson's lap for a 92 yard score.  Get Sam some elite playmakers please!

In all fairness, Jackson doesn't have any elite players around him.  Noone heard of Mark Andrews before this season and Marquise Brown is a rookie (25th pick).  

I also think that Mahomes would be Mahomes on almost any team.  He really is the best young QB I've ever seen and he does spread the ball around to a lot of guys, including Sammy Watkins now who has never done anything anywhere else.  

If Sam is as good as we hope he is, Anderson, Crowder, Herndon and Bell will be enough to make it work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Darnold

Jackson

Mayfield

Allen

Rosen

Honestly, seeing what the Jets offense looks like without Darnold, then with him, is the biggest endorsement you could get. I don't sense that with any of the other guys...

It's fine to have Jackson currently ranked higher based on his overall stats/wins but I think you're crazy if you'd actually rather have him as your franchise QB going forward.

After looking really strong last year Baker's sophomore slump is troubling to say the least. He has serious flaws in his game. 

Allen is way better than I thought he'd be, but his ceiling is always going to be a poor man's Cam Newton.

Rosen was dealt a tough hand but it's not a good sign when getting yanked for Ryan Fitzpatrick dramatically improves the offense.

this right here.  can't believe I have not seen more posts pointing this out.  the Jets offense was simply INEPT for three weeks.  what changed?  did they all of a sudden get a good Oline? (one could argue it got even worse with Osemele out, Edoga replacing Shell, who was benched, and the aforementioned Shell having to switch to LT when KB got hurt)  did Bell run off 250 yards rushing?

No.  Darnold returned.  that's it.  and as usual, I started hearing on the sports radio this morning "well the Cowboys aren't any good anyway" rhetoric that we've come to expect as Jets fans.  last week, all we heard about was how the Cowboys were top 10 offense and top 10 defense.  How Sam returning will help, but won't be enough blah blah blah.  now the Jets win, so they must suck.

Put Sam on that Browns team with all those weapons?  wow - look out!  or Buffalo with the defense?  I could go on, but you get my point.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Not ashamed to admit I was in a similar camp.  I thought Rosen would be better.  Obviously he's had a very, very rough deal entering the NFL and I still don't think he's gotten a good opportunity (between 1 year under Steve Wilks in AZ and now on the worst team in football), but it's clear he can't rise above any of those circumstances.  Rosen looked like the safe, polished, accurate QB who makes good decisions coming out of college.  But he was never the guy giving you those types of Wow moments with either his arm or his legs.  At least with Darnold, Allen, Mayfield, Lamar we've seen each of them make at least a handful of jaw-dropping plays that make you say, "Whoa!  This guy is flashing some greatness."  Haven't really seen that with Rosen at all.

 

10 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I think I was a 

Rosen

Darnold

Jackson

Mayfield

Allen

guy but my opinions went all over the place in order due to my lack of backbone pre draft media harping.

i did have a boner for Rosen and Jackson and was weary of Mayfield. Weary of Allen too but his size/cannon arm/legs made me a little scared to sh*t on him too much. Darnold was always kind of down the middle and in a lot of ways the safest 

I was always worried about Rosen because of the background he came from... It didn't seem like when push came to shove that he was going all in for a team... That at any point he might just pick up and leave. 

That said, he has been given a raw deal... It's unfortunate because I think this will only fuel speculation that he will retired early... If he had been given a better shot like in Baltimore or Pittsburgh I think you would see a lot different Rosen. 

I was in the Mayfield first and Sam next. I was surprised that the Browns let Sam slip. Mayfield is better then he is playing... He needs a better coach... The kid is extremely smart, and will come back and live a long time in this league... He is extremely accurate... 

But here we are and I am so glad the Jets ended up with darnold. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

 

I was always worried about Rosen because of the background he came from... It didn't seem like when push came to shove that he was going all in for a team... That at any point he might just pick up and leave. 

That said, he has been given a raw deal... It's unfortunate because I think this will only fuel speculation that he will retired early... If he had been given a better shot like in Baltimore or Pittsburgh I think you would see a lot different Rosen. 

I was in the Mayfield first and Sam next. I was surprised that the Browns let Sam slip. Mayfield is better then he is playing... He needs a better coach... The kid is extremely smart, and will come back and live a long time in this league... He is extremely accurate... 

But here we are and I am so glad the Jets ended up with darnold. 

I am too. Even at the time. Darnold always seemed safer than the other prospects 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

I don't get all the Lamar love.  RG III says hi.  We have seen this all before, and it never works out; the QB gets hurt and then it's all downhill.  Is he really the one to change this trend?  hey, maybe he is and I'll eat crow, but I need to see it be sustainable before I believe.

I'm not looking to argue here, but look at these lists, LOL. Most of them are just projecting love and hope toward the home team guy.

How can you take anyone who has Darnold first or second seriously? There is no defending it, except by saying you're a hopeful Jets fan, hoping your guy turns into who you want him to be..

He wasn't the best last year, and he's played 2 games this year. Yet they KNOW. They just know it's true.  :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, nycdan said:

In all fairness, Jackson doesn't have any elite players around him.  Noone heard of Mark Andrews before this season and Marquise Brown is a rookie (25th pick).  

I also think that Mahomes would be Mahomes on almost any team.  He really is the best young QB I've ever seen and he does spread the ball around to a lot of guys, including Sammy Watkins now who has never done anything anywhere else.  

If Sam is as good as we hope he is, Anderson, Crowder, Herndon and Bell will be enough to make it work.

Good post.  I think we saw Darnold elevate the guys around him yesterday.  Obviously Robby, but Crowder had another stellar under-the-radar game.  Bell got into the end zone and Demaryius Thomas had 4 catches.

I'm just saying that none of those guys beside Bell are "elite" and Dallas was keying on Bell a lot yesterday, even if they weren't loading the box the way other teams did while Sam was out.

Herndon could turn out to be a secret weapon.  The Jets really do have a good complement of pass-catchers when all are healthy.  Bell, Herndon, Robby, Crowder, Thomas would be fun to watch in "11" personnel alignments.  Because that's a balanced run/pass alignment it gives the Jets a lot of optionality.  You could split Herndon out wide, motion Bell out wide and you now really press a defense with 5 very good pass-catchers to cover.  The problem, as well know, is that you pressure your OLine to hold up with no help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Good post.  I think we saw Darnold elevate the guys around him yesterday.  Obviously Robby, but Crowder had another stellar under-the-radar game.  Bell got into the end zone and Demaryius Thomas had 4 catches.

I'm just saying that none of those guys beside Bell are "elite" and Dallas was keying on Bell a lot yesterday, even if they weren't loading the box the way other teams did while Sam was out.

Herndon could turn out to be a secret weapon.  The Jets really do have a good complement of pass-catchers when all are healthy.  Bell, Herndon, Robby, Crowder, Thomas would be fun to watch in "11" personnel alignments.  Because that's a balanced run/pass alignment it gives the Jets a lot of optionality.  You could split Herndon out wide, motion Bell out wide and you now really press a defense with 5 very good pass-catchers to cover.  The problem, as well know, is that you pressure your OLine to hold up with no help.

I agree that I don't see the '11' set working well with this OL.  The ball would have to come out very quickly, which takes Robby out of the equation as a deep threat.  I suspect we'll see more '21' or '12' (after Herndon is back) so we can leave one blocker back.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as Darnold starts winning games consistently, I don't care about any of the other QB's on the list.  

And it's still waaaaaaaay too early to have legitimate rankings for any of them anyway imo.  Except for Rosen.  He sucks. :rl:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...