Of the 1st Rounders....

1. Lamar Jackson

2. Sam Darnold

3A. Josh Allen

3B. Baker Mayfield

5. Josh Rosen

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Legend Killa7 said:

I don't get all the Lamar love.  RG III says hi.  We have seen this all before, and it never works out; the QB gets hurt and then it's all downhill.  Is he really the one to change this trend?  hey, maybe he is and I'll eat crow, but I need to see it be sustainable before I believe.

I agree, but for now Lamar is the real deal.  He may burn bright but short, and his window might be 5-7 years instead of the 12+ year careers that pocket passers can have.  We've been discussing this in another thread but I see a similarity with Josh Allen.  Allen is big, has a cannon, and can run/scramble....but his accuracy is lacking and if you force him into needing a long drive with numerous 10-15 yard completions, confining him to being a pocket passer, he's mediocre.  Sadly, I think Josh Allen (and perhaps Lamar) will go the way Cam Newton is going....taking too many hits, losing his running effectiveness and thus, his overall effectiveness as a QB.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

I guess, but that is why I do not like these "let's rank the 2018 QBs TODAY" posts.  Last week, Sam is dead last and today some have him 1st.  after one game?  My point on Lamar is:  which of these QBS would I have wanted the Jets to have drafted back in 2018 for the long run.  And I would not say Lamar.  As some have said, he was taken last in the 1st round, which means he went to the best team.  If he's our QB, he's not doing nearly as well as he is in Balto.

I agree, but that's a different question.

Who could be considered the best QB of that group today?  Lamar Jackson

Who would you want as your FQB for the next decade?  Sam Darnold

Those are my answers at least.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I was a Rosen guy. (Also Jackson tho) 

He really must be as bad of a colossal dip ship they said he’d be. Such a nice and shiny skill set to throw away so early though. 

Not ashamed to admit I was in a similar camp.  I thought Rosen would be better.  Obviously he's had a very, very rough deal entering the NFL and I still don't think he's gotten a good opportunity (between 1 year under Steve Wilks in AZ and now on the worst team in football), but it's clear he can't rise above any of those circumstances.  Rosen looked like the safe, polished, accurate QB who makes good decisions coming out of college.  But he was never the guy giving you those types of Wow moments with either his arm or his legs.  At least with Darnold, Allen, Mayfield, Lamar we've seen each of them make at least a handful of jaw-dropping plays that make you say, "Whoa!  This guy is flashing some greatness."  Haven't really seen that with Rosen at all.

• Upvote 2

Wouldn't mind seeing Darnold surrounded by guys like Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce, Deandre Hopkins, etc. either!  He dropped a ball right into Robby Anderson's lap for a 92 yard score.  Get Sam some elite playmakers please!

7 minutes ago, nycdan said:

In all fairness, Jackson doesn't have any elite players around him.  Noone heard of Mark Andrews before this season and Marquise Brown is a rookie (25th pick).  

I also think that Mahomes would be Mahomes on almost any team.  He really is the best young QB I've ever seen and he does spread the ball around to a lot of guys, including Sammy Watkins now who has never done anything anywhere else.  

If Sam is as good as we hope he is, Anderson, Crowder, Herndon and Bell will be enough to make it work.

Good post.  I think we saw Darnold elevate the guys around him yesterday.  Obviously Robby, but Crowder had another stellar under-the-radar game.  Bell got into the end zone and Demaryius Thomas had 4 catches.

I'm just saying that none of those guys beside Bell are "elite" and Dallas was keying on Bell a lot yesterday, even if they weren't loading the box the way other teams did while Sam was out.

Herndon could turn out to be a secret weapon.  The Jets really do have a good complement of pass-catchers when all are healthy.  Bell, Herndon, Robby, Crowder, Thomas would be fun to watch in "11" personnel alignments.  Because that's a balanced run/pass alignment it gives the Jets a lot of optionality.  You could split Herndon out wide, motion Bell out wide and you now really press a defense with 5 very good pass-catchers to cover.  The problem, as well know, is that you pressure your OLine to hold up with no help.

Just now, PS17 said:

Can we go a week without this thread

Oh, I'm sure you'll get a 10/21/2019 version.  :P

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company