Props to Joe Douglas

Let's keep those picks though.  I'm fine with the low-value stuff (ex. future 6th for Thomas in 2021 when HOPEFULLY the Jets are drafting later in the round).

He's done a good job plugging some holes and churning the depth at the bottom of the roster.  At this point though, the Jets should still be sellers with an eye towards 2020.  I'm very interested to see what he does with Leo Williams.  Everything done on the DLine so far (extending McClendon, getting QW reps, developing guys like Phillips, Fatukasi, etc.) signals that the Jets have fortified the DLine to survive without Leo.  But the clock is ticking.  The NFL Trade Deadline is 2 weeks away.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

4 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Extremely excited to see what he can do with a couple of full off seasons. 

This is all that matters. What he has or hasn’t done since he’s been here is small potatoes. The only thing he can do this year is pull off some good trades. I’m hopeful for the offseason  and also thankful that Mac is gone. 

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Many detractors on here want to bash Joe Douglas on moves he made and some he didn't.

That said:

D Thomas looks like he can still play and worth the 2021 6th rounder even though he hurt his hamstring weeks back.

Trading for Alex Lewis is probably the best lineman on the offensive side at the moment. 

Hairston (when healthy) proved that he is better then Trumaine Johnson and will start again soon. 

Signed an extension to a player mid-season before they went to FA (twice): McClendon and Hennessey. Yes these are role players but I like that the GM is thinking ahead and is active versus multiple previous regimes.

Continuously claiming players off the waivers and churning the bottom of the roster and PS to find the right fits.

Signed Vyncint Smith and asked a former player their thoughts before bringing him to the active roster. He looks to have a place at least for kickoff returns (Cannon is slowly getting replaced)

Doesn't allow the drafted players to sit on their draft status to 'develop'

Signed a special team LB.... that at least filled in the position when Hewitt went down... but man, he didn't look great... hopefully Mosley and Hewitt stay healthy.

Although the team isn't going to turn into Superbowl contenders this year, you can see how much he has improved the roster already without a draft, FA, or a lot of time before the season. I think he is going to turn this team into an annual contender, given a few drafts and FA periods.

Just saying for all the prove it crowd... I think he has done an admiral job given what he had.

Not to give all positive... He has made some questionable moves in the Kicker fiasco after his kicker retired.

the thing is a team may have 5 or 6 really elite players but the rest are those lunchpail guys who play their positions well.  that's what the rest of the 53 man roster is made of.  mac was too quick to try and get those diamonds (polite) in the rough with later picks when he would've been better off finding guys like cashman.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Not to give all positive... He has made some questionable moves in the Kicker fiasco after his kicker retired

And while true, he is a rookie GM and he will have a few more of those moments. He has been around a lot of success but it’s important to remember that polish and vet/savvy moves come with a few years of experience. He’s done a nice job so far. Alex Lewis is a find. Ryan Griffin blocks and catches well for a back up. As mentioned, Hairston can play ball. Getting guys who can play football is important...even if they don’t play it at an elite level. Building that core of decent guys who can regularly step up is definitely something.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

These are positive, but fairly small game in the grand scheme. 

How he handles Leonard Williams is the first true measuring stick for JD - for me anyway. Does he find a way to get something meaningful out of a terminal situation? Stay tuned. 

• Upvote 4

I’d like to see how he drafts before I really evaluate the guy because that’s what it’s going to come down to. His identifying of talent and his draft strategy will be what his success or failure is dictated by. Shuffling the bottom of the roster is fine and he’s found a few decent players, but he can’t be judged yet. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Many detractors on here want to bash Joe Douglas on moves he made and some he didn't.

That said:

D Thomas looks like he can still play and worth the 2021 6th rounder even though he hurt his hamstring weeks back.

Trading for Alex Lewis is probably the best lineman on the offensive side at the moment. 

Hairston (when healthy) proved that he is better then Trumaine Johnson and will start again soon. 

Signed an extension to a player mid-season before they went to FA (twice): McClendon and Hennessey. Yes these are role players but I like that the GM is thinking ahead and is active versus multiple previous regimes.

Continuously claiming players off the waivers and churning the bottom of the roster and PS to find the right fits.

Signed Vyncint Smith and asked a former player their thoughts before bringing him to the active roster. He looks to have a place at least for kickoff returns (Cannon is slowly getting replaced)

Doesn't allow the drafted players to sit on their draft status to 'develop'

Signed a special team LB.... that at least filled in the position when Hewitt went down... but man, he didn't look great... hopefully Mosley and Hewitt stay healthy.

Although the team isn't going to turn into Superbowl contenders this year, you can see how much he has improved the roster already without a draft, FA, or a lot of time before the season. I think he is going to turn this team into an annual contender, given a few drafts and FA periods.

Just saying for all the prove it crowd... I think he has done an admiral job given what he had.

Not to give all positive... He has made some questionable moves in the Kicker fiasco after his kicker retired.

Edit: Forgot about Griffin who is a good back-up TE.

And Kahlil is what he is... He tried but thats a waste of 9 Mil...

Watching Griffin excited me. I so want for a big TE like a Mark Bávaro or Gronk.  Griffin looked the part. 

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Paradis said:

How he handles Leonard Williams is the first true measuring stick for JD - for me anyway. Does he find a way to get something meaningful out of a terminal situation? Stay tuned. 

Just call MAC, ask him what he should do, THEN do the opposite and tell MAC to GFY! 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Agreed, but he has been getting killed on this forum for weeks now. I was just trying to display that he has done a lot with nothing and this team is stronger because of him right now. Where as before there was a level of.... Here are the guys... teach them and make them better.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

He walked in and his kicker retired.  Signed a kid who was a 5th round pick who was successful in Baltimore and shaky in 5 attempts after that.  Gase has said he came to camp and hit everything

He wound up costing us a game and was immediately dumped.

Failure, it's not always someone else's fault 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Agreed, but he has been getting killed on this forum for weeks now. I was just trying to display that he has done a lot with nothing and this team is stronger because of him right now. Where as before there was a level of.... Here are the guys... teach them and make them better.

It speaks to the collective IQ/insecurity of this fan base to be giving a GM a hard time who’s job started post-FA and Post-draft. 

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

We're 1-4.

9 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I’d like to see how he drafts before I really evaluate the guy because that’s what it’s going to come down to. His identifying of talent and his draft strategy will be what his success or failure is dictated by. Shuffling the bottom of the roster is fine and he’s found a few decent players, but he can’t be judged yet. 

Yes, they are 1-4, and he is shuffling the dregs of the NFL... but can you not say that this team is better now then when Mac left it 5 months ago? 

The 1-4 is more reflective of how piss poor this offense is without its QB. Devoid of talent outside of a RB and deep threat WR, maybe a TE. You don't have to believe yet but you have to give some credit where its due. 

Carl, you are so negative its ridiculous. Everything is the worst until you see otherwise. Fine, if that's how you are, so be it but you should jump on the train, its gonna be fun.

Joe Douglas making small insignificant moves at the bottom of the roster should be a positive sign... Which GM in the last 20 years did that?

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He walked in and his kicker retired.  Signed a kid who was a 5th round pick who was successful in Baltimore and shaky in 5 attempts after that.  Gase has said he came to camp and hit everything

He wound up costing us a game and was immediately dumped.

Failure, it's not always someone else's fault 

agreed... That is part of the point. He is doing what he can at the moment. 

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

Per Cimini Kalil graded out yesterday as highest pass blocking win rate. 

Interesting... He had a rough holding call that negated a 27 yard pass... I didn't really watch him that closely. but seeing all the defenders Darnold had to evade on almost every play made me think that he still wasn't doing great.

4 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Yes, they are 1-4, and he is shuffling the dregs of the NFL... but can you not say that this team is better now then when Mac left it 5 months ago? 

The 1-4 is more reflective of how piss poor this offense is without its QB. Devoid of talent outside of a RB and deep threat WR, maybe a TE. You don't have to believe yet but you have to give some credit where its due. 

Carl, you are so negative its ridiculous. Everything is the worst until you see otherwise. Fine, if that's how you are, so be it but you should jump on the train, its gonna be fun.

Joe Douglas making small insignificant moves at the bottom of the roster should be a positive sign... Which GM in the last 20 years did that?

well said

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Interesting... He had a rough holding call that negated a 27 yard pass... I didn't really watch him that closely. but seeing all the defenders Darnold had to evade on almost every play made me think that he still wasn't doing great.

keep in mind he was on the couch ... takes some time to get back in football shape especially at his age . I think he will be fine as the year moves forward . That being said he's not a long term option obviously but he may have some positive effect on Harrison 

• Upvote 2