Props to Joe Douglas

2 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

keep in mind he was on the couch ... takes some time to get back in football shape especially at his age . I think he will be fine as the year moves forward . That being said he's not a long term option obviously but he may have some positive effect on Harrison 

That's what I am hoping for, but talking to Carolina fans, they were saying he was done before he retired.... We will see, jury is still out there. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, The Voice of Reason said:

Seriously? That's how you play it? Jesus... pessimistic people can find the negative in everything. They are 1-1 with their starting QB... 

I don't really understand why judging teams based on their records is pessimistic, but if this is the new angle the Thought Police are taking then Sic semper tyrannis, bitches.

• Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Smashmouth said:

yep everyone is beating up on each other and Im not sure the Bills can sustain with Allen at QB hes just not consistent enough throwing the football

that defense is nasty and Barkley served well as a backup when he came in.... They are going to be a tough team to beat out for the WC.

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I don't really understand why judging teams based on their records is pessimistic, but if this is the new angle the Thought Police are taking then Sic semper tyrannis, bitches.

because this isn't his draft, his FA, he was given the team after those things were settled.... So how can you judge a GM other then the pickup and trades he made as I outlined in the original post.  Record has nothing to do with it YET.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

because this isn't his draft, his FA, he was given the team after those things were settled.... So how can you judge a GM other then the pickup and trades he made as I outlined in the original post.  Record has nothing to do with it YET.

I don't know how you judge anything and neither do you. The team's 1-4. That's bad. Other than that get a grip.

• Thumb Down 3

22 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Loved the Douglas hire. First GM hire I haven’t rolled my eyes at in a while. Hope it works out. Giving him at least a year or two before even having an opinion

I’m keeping an open mind and hoping for the best but he cost us a game when he signed Minnesota’s cut kicker.  That was brutal

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

These are positive, but fairly small game in the grand scheme. 

How he handles Leonard Williams is the first true measuring stick for JD - for me anyway. Does he find a way to get something meaningful out of a terminal situation? Stay tuned. 

For me it’ll be more on his drafts and FA signings

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Hard to say anything either way about Douglas..  He's made some bad decisions and some decent ones.  He was handed a playoff roster so he only had some tinkering to do for now.

If he's able to secure a similar haul or more for Williams to what Macc got for Sheldon then that would be a great first "big" move.

• Thumb Down 3

3 hours ago, Pac said:

Hard to say anything either way about Douglas..  He's made some bad decisions and some decent ones.  He was handed a playoff roster so he only had some tinkering to do for now.

If he's able to secure a similar haul or more for Williams to what Macc got for Sheldon then that would be a great first "big" move.

If by playoff roster you mean a roster with an outside shot at .500 if they stay healthy then yes I agree

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

For me it’ll be more on his drafts and FA signings

yea, that's a substantially massive part of his job he'll be evaluated on...

but i'm talking about the first significant bridge to cross and earn some cred with the people. 

• Upvote 1

I don't really think you can say yea or nay on the job Douglas has done. Why? Not enough time on the job. He's made some good moves and some questionable ones. I can't even say bad moves because they really aren't that bad. His true test will come in the off-season and draft. I would like to see the results of his drafts and I think with Williams they will definitely bring in some new aggressive blood on this Defense and roster. I can't wait to see what he does.

3 hours ago, HessStation said:

Loved the Douglas hire. First GM hire I haven’t rolled my eyes at in a while. Hope it works out. Giving him at least a year or two before even having an opinion

Watch out! They’ll call you negative for wanting to see him draft before making him executive of the year. 

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

I’m keeping an open mind and hoping for the best but he cost us a game when he signed Minnesota’s cut kicker.  That was brutal

Big fan of the Douglas hire also. Not signing a viable backup when Darnald went down was also brutal. Seemed obvious, from afar, that Osweiller was an obvious move. If we were able to sneak out a game, or at least look like an NFL caliber team in Darnald 's absence  would have been beneficial for the over all mindset moving forward  . 

8 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Big fan of the Douglas hire also. Not signing a viable backup when Darnald went down was also brutal. Seemed obvious, from afar, that Osweiller was an obvious move. If we were able to sneak out a game, or at least look like an NFL caliber team in Darnald 's absence  would have been beneficial for the over all mindset moving forward  . 

Overall mindset?  Of whom?  Jets fans?  You gonna crucify JD over not signing Brock f*cking Osweiler just in case Simien got hurt?  Wow.

Despite all the QB injuries in the NFL this season, the venerable Brock Osweiler is still a FA.  Osweiler is such an 'obvious move' that the guy is drinking beer on his couch on Sundays, not on an NFL roster.

The Colts talked to Osweiler when Luck went down...so did the Saints when Brees went out.  Neither brought him in.  The Fish have Rosen and Fitz, they weren't interested either. The Steelers?  They brought in Paxton Lynch.

Osweiler is by all accounts a very rich man at this point...maybe he has demands to come back no one wanted to meet?  Maybe no one wants him..who knows?  

But, apparently it was a 'bad decision' for JD, because he was just so much an 'obvious' move.

OK

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I don't know how you judge anything and neither do you. The team's 1-4. That's bad. Other than that get a grip.

With a roster that's not his and extremely thin starting roster... Not sure why you have to act like an ass... He was just saying that he feels that the roster is in better shape... you have to be judgmental and garbage reply that you can't judge anything but the record... which is idiotic... 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

The kicker thing may be behind us but IT REALLY annoyed me. We should be 2-3 which is a whole different from 1-4 because of negligence to the kicking game. I have also been tough on him about Kalil but I think you make some valid points. The season is developing fastly now, we will see how it plays out. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

Agree with most of that. He had cap room for 1 big move and kalil is more or less the worst starting olineman in the NFL. 

His patient approach with kalil could turn out to be genius if kalil comes around and regains his form for the stretch run or stubbornness if he just stinks all year 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Overall mindset?  Of whom?  Jets fans?  You gonna crucify JD over not signing Brock f*cking Osweiler just in case Simien got hurt?  Wow.

Despite all the QB injuries in the NFL this season, the venerable Brock Osweiler is still a FA.  Osweiler is such an 'obvious move' that the guy is drinking beer on his couch on Sundays, not on an NFL roster.

The Colts talked to Osweiler when Luck went down...so did the Saints when Brees went out.  Neither brought him in.  The Fish have Rosen and Fitz, they weren't interested either. The Steelers?  They brought in Paxton Lynch.

Osweiler is by all accounts a very rich man at this point...maybe he has demands to come back no one wanted to meet?  Maybe no one wants him..who knows?  

But, apparently it was a 'bad decision' for JD, because he was just so much an 'obvious' move.

OK

Im  on Douglas side. I love the hire. But you cant be happy the way  the last two weeks were handled well at the QB position? The reason i thought it was obvious was because Osweiller  had success in Gase's offense when Tannihill went down. Faulk looked absolutely lost. The worst QB option in the NFL by far over those two weeks. If Osweiller was sitting on his couch drinking beer like you seem to have knowledge of, then someone, anyone else must have been a better option than Faulk. But hey, its in the past, time to move forward. Just questioning Gase and Douglas ability to judge QBs somewhat after watching Faulk for two weeks. Moving foward now. 

53 minutes ago, Larz said:

Agree with most of that. He had cap room for 1 big move and kalil is more or less the worst starting olineman in the NFL. 

His patient approach with kalil could turn out to be genius if kalil comes around and regains his form for the stretch run or stubbornness if he just stinks all year 

It was a one year deal. We are 5 games into a 16 game season. As much I love to see kalil turn it around he has been bad each game. 

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

The kicker thing may be behind us but IT REALLY annoyed me. We should be 2-3 which is a whole different from 1-4 because of negligence to the kicking game. I have also been tough on him about Kalil but I think you make some valid points. The season is developing fastly now, we will see how it plays out. 

Totally agree.  Big mistake not grabbing a serviceable kicker for week one

1 hour ago, Copernicus said:

Im  on Douglas side. I love the hire. But you cant be happy the way  the last two weeks were handled well at the QB position? The reason i thought it was obvious was because Osweiller  had success in Gase's offense when Tannihill went down. Faulk looked absolutely lost. The worst QB option in the NFL by far over those two weeks. If Osweiller was sitting on his couch drinking beer like you seem to have knowledge of, then someone, anyone else must have been a better option than Faulk. But hey, its in the past, time to move forward. Just questioning Gase and Douglas ability to judge QBs somewhat after watching Faulk for two weeks. Moving foward now. 

The QB position ain't 'handled' week to week.  If your first 2 QBs go down to injury in the first 5 qtrs of NFL play, IMO all bets are off.  Especially if you have a roster that is paper thin like the NYJ.

And, since no one has claimed the venerable Brock Osweiler still, despite his obvious prowess over the QB skills of  Luke Falk, I'm not killing Gase over it and giving him a pass on that.

As I asked JW on this or another thread...who was the better option than Falk?

And, if the Jets had signed Osweiler as you asked for, and the Jets still sucked, would you give Gase a pass, or would you be crucifying him for asking for Osweiler in the first place.

Stop...just, stop.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

and 2 games out of a WC slot. While what happened was horrific with the terrible QB play this team is moving in the right direction. We get everyone healthy and things can change very quickly.

On paper you’re two games out , but your AFC record says you’re further back than that.   The Jets need to start winning AFC games , as that’s a big determination in the tie breaking formula for wildcard spots.   Jets are 0-3 in the AFC right now.   ( losing the head to head matchup with two potential wild card teams Browns , and Bills).  They play the Patriots, and the Jaguars( another potential wild card team).    Two very important AFC games.

The Jets  can’t lose the next two , or there season could be over.   Getting to 9-7 might be good enough for a wild card spot this year, but there should be a lot of potential wildcard teams with that record.( comes down to tie breakers- 1. Head to head matchup, 2. AFC  Record) 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1