Can we build an OLine with Edoga, Alex Lewis and maybe even Shell?

Edoga and Lewis? Sure as hell seems like it. Edoga was awesome in his 2nd start and Lewis is looking like the best move Douglas has made so far. There’s definitely some injury concerns with him though.

I think Shell is a decent starting RT but if Gase and Co. were willing to bench him over performance, they may not want to pay him after the season.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

I sure hope so!  I am least confident in Shell.  But if he and Edoga could be the tackles, that would be such a blessing.

Shell absolutely whiffed on his assignment when he moved over to LT once Beachum went out.  With that said, I think he's an adequate RT....but  he's a guy I'd rather have as a backup.  Edoga is a very interesting piece.  There's some optionality with him on the line at a couple different spots but I do think he has the feet to play LT.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Are those the only 3 decent players who are also young enough to include in an OLine rebuild?

IMG_8804.thumb.jpg.c75ab8e75b06a4bcc37ca0fa83c4f308.jpg

if beachum doesn't come back it looks like they already did.  in all honesty, edoga certainly played better on sunday than he did against the patsies.  if these guys stay motivated and darnold is the qb then they will look pretty good.

We're on track for a full O-Line makeover. 

LT: Beachum is an FA, to me this should be filled by a high draft pick. 

LG: Lewis seems to have wrapped this one up

Center: Kalil will probably be gone, Harrison is back again next year

RG: Winters is probably gone, does Osemele move here next year?

RT: Big decision on Shell. Let him walk or sign someone new?

Much of the rest of this year is a tryout for who is going to stay. Only Winters and Osemele are under contract for next year. So...may behoove us to sign one of these guys (Lewis) while the season is still underway. 

• Upvote 2

The bigger issue is what to do on Sunday if Beachem can’t play. 

Shell has always struggled at LT.  He struggled as a senior at SC when they moved him there which caused him to fall in the draft. He struggled there as a rookie in the preseason and didn’t play well on Sunday. 

IMO - we have 2 options. 

Move Edoga to LT and Shell back to RT. This could actually be a way to audition Edoga as a legit LT OR it could completely stunt his growth. 

Move Alex Lewis to LT and Compton or Harrison to LG. Again we would potentially but stunting the growth of a player who is doing well at his regular position but Lewis has experience at LT with the Ravens. 

I don’t know which option is better both short and long term but I don’t think we can put Shell out there at LT against a Belichek coached team. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, BCJet said:

The bigger issue is what to do on Sunday if Beachem can’t play. 

Shell has always struggled at LT.  He struggled as a senior at SC when they moved him there which caused him to fall in the draft. He struggled there as a rookie in the preseason and didn’t play well on Sunday. 

IMO - we have 2 options. 

Move Edoga to LT and Shell back to RT. This could actually be a way to audition Edoga as a legit LT OR it could completely stunt his growth. 

Move Alex Lewis to LT and Compton or Harrison to LG. Again we would potentially but stunting the growth of a player who is doing well at his regular position but Lewis has experience at LT with the Ravens. 

I don’t know which option is better both short and long term but I don’t think we can put Shell out there at LT against a Belichek coached team. 

I would love to try Kalil at RG with Harrison at C.  C is more demanding, I don't see a drop off between Harrison and Kalil at C and really think Kalil could handle the G spot, would be an upgrade over Winters.

• Upvote 1

I hope we shuffle LT, C, RG next. If Edoga and Lewis can be answers moving forward that is huge. If we can get Scherff to upgrade from Winters, I'd target LT high in the draft, I don't think we will be bad enough to get Thomas. I'd be willing to trade back into the 1st or up in the 2nd to get the Center from Wisconsin. That would be my best case scenario if we can have 2 of those to happen we should be vastly improved.

Shell I think should be a third tackle on jumbo packages. He’s a below average at RT and worse at LT. The Jets at minimum need a LT, C, and another OG. Winters, Osemele, Kalil, and Beachum should not be part of the long term plan. I’d like to see Edoga get a long term look at RT to see if that needs replacing too. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Obrien2Toon said:

A. Thomas- Lewis- ???- Scherf- Edoga

Tyler Biadasz. Translates to Badazz. Trade back up into bottom of 1st round if you have to. A draft starting with Andrew Thomas & a move up for Biadasz would be a great start to the draft.

Sign Amari Cooper & Scherff in free agency! Try to reup Robbie & if he wants too much let him walk. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, bigalbarracuda said:

Good thread -- it's not realistic to turn over the entire unit so these three are def part of the future. 

The O-line needs to be "built" through the next two drafts though... get us a legit Tackle and Center next year. A FA veteran Guard would be nice too. 

Is Compton under contract for only this year?  I'd see him and Harrison as other depth pieces.

If I'm the Jets I'm going LT in Round 1, WR in Round 2, C/OG in Round 3 this year as well as signing an OLineman in FA.

• Upvote 3

Edoga, and Lewis have potential to stick long term and I think Douglas will use to rest of the season to see if they are long term candidates.  It sure would make his draft list next year a lot easier.  We'd probably just need to go after a left tackle and a center.  And Shell... well, he's not part of the future.

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Is Compton under contract for only this year?  I'd see him and Harrison as other depth pieces.

If I'm the Jets I'm going LT in Round 1, WR in Round 2, C/OG in Round 3 this year as well as signing an OLineman in FA.

Yeh - 1-year deal for Compton (totally fine with him and Harrison as depth guys)

Agreed with LT in the Rd1 next year if we're in position, if we're picking top 6 the only question is where Jeudy and Andrew Thomas fall. 

Protection and Weapons next year -- Ok with a CB in the 3rd but no higher! haha

• Upvote 1

Darnold was still running for life and evading defenders throughout the Dallas game. We need real blue-chip talent on the offensive line, at least at LT and C.

For Darnold to continue his march towards eliteness, he’ll eventually need to consistently have time in the pocket to plant his feet and scan the field, like Brady and other QB’s have. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

I would love to try Kalil at RG with Harrison at C.  C is more demanding, I don't see a drop off between Harrison and Kalil at C and really think Kalil could handle the G spot, would be an upgrade over Winters.

I would love to try Kalil at CUT!!

35 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Darnold was still running for life and evading defenders throughout the Dallas game. We need real blue-chip talent on the offensive line, at least at LT and C.

For Darnold to continue his march towards eliteness, he’ll eventually need to consistently have time in the pocket to plant his feet and scan the field, like Brady and other QB’s have. 

Sure wouldnt hurt, lol

40 minutes ago, bigalbarracuda said:

Yeh - 1-year deal for Compton (totally fine with him and Harrison as depth guys)

Agreed with LT in the Rd1 next year if we're in position, if we're picking top 6 the only question is where Jeudy and Andrew Thomas fall. 

Protection and Weapons next year -- Ok with a CB in the 3rd but no higher! haha

I think the WR depth chart will be a very interesting thing to watch in the offseason.  If you can draft an elite WR1 (and this upcoming Draft could have as many as 5 or 6 of them) then you push everyone else down and that makes them all better in their roles.  Robby is a very good WR2, like a DeSean Jackson type.  Keeping Crowder in the slot would be ideal and going "10" personnel (4 WRs) let's you put somebody like a competent possession guy (Demaryius Thomas) or a possible up-and-coming breakout player like Vyncint Smith (6'3" and speed) on the field.  Jeudy, Robby, Crowder....I like that.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Next year should look like this:

Rookie stud/Osemele/Rookie stud/Shell/Edoga 

Shell is a free agent.  You want to pay him and move him to G?  I don't see that happening.  Besides, for it to happen, you will probably need that Osemele money.  Can't see paying Osemele all that money considering how bad he's been.  

3 hours ago, ElBarrioJets said:

We're on track for a full O-Line makeover. 

LT: Beachum is an FA, to me this should be filled by a high draft pick. 

LG: Lewis seems to have wrapped this one up

Center: Kalil will probably be gone, Harrison is back again next year

RG: Winters is probably gone, does Osemele move here next year?

RT: Big decision on Shell. Let him walk or sign someone new?

Much of the rest of this year is a tryout for who is going to stay. Only Winters and Osemele are under contract for next year. So...may behoove us to sign one of these guys (Lewis) while the season is still underway. 

Winters: gone

Osemele: too expensive...gone

Shell: decent backup

Kalhil: retire

Edoga and Lewis May earn starting roles. We will need a C a LT and another G and depth. Long way to go. Get busy JD.

• Upvote 1