Can we build an OLine with Edoga, Alex Lewis and maybe even Shell?

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Shell is a free agent.  You want to pay him and move him to G?  I don't see that happening.  Besides, for it to happen, you will probably need that Osemele money.  Can't see paying Osemele all that money considering how bad he's been.  

Yeah I'd move Shell to RG to replace Winters and Have Edoga start at RT. Perhaps Harrison at LG.

Edoga - RT 

Lewis - G (compete with a signed free agent)

Shell - if the price is right, re-sign for depth

While I'd love to say the Jets can sign Brandon Scherff as a free agent, I believe he has already turned down a $13 million per year contract offer, and I do not believe Joe Douglas would pay Scherff's asking price (which is the smart). I think Douglas is a guy who trusts his skill to evaluate O-line talent and I see the Jets perhaps adding a lower profile free agent, or even 2, who Douglas thinks is ascending. Regardless, I expect the Jets to select at least 3 O lineman in the Draft. A Center, Left Tackle, and Guard. Anything less will be a disappointment. And I will only excuse selecting an O lineman with their first round pick if a #1 WR is taken in that place, but after that in rounds 2, 3, and 4 O linemen only.  

1 hour ago, carlito1171 said:

I think you have to get a new LT....and pick between Edoga/Shell at RT....neither player are the weak link on the line right now but let’s see if Edoga can build off of Sunday. 

Lewis is probably good depth at OL

Right now as it stands we need to replace LT, C and RG in the offseason 

You don't get to pick.  Shell is a free agent.  You have to sign him.  IIRC, Edoga, Winters, Harrison, Osemele, and Conor McDermott are the only guys signed. 

Beachum, Shell, Lewis, Kalil, and Compton would have to be signed to get back to the sh*tty level we are at now. 

• Upvote 1

If JD wanted Shell back, he would sign him now.  Shell should take a reasonable offer to put money in the bank and secure his future. 

Otherwise Shell is a FA, and guys like that tend to switch teams if the existing team does not extend them.

same thing for Jordan Jenkins this year.  Don’t know whether he fits in either.  He is a good guy though. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Shell absolutely whiffed on his assignment when he moved over to LT once Beachum went out.  With that said, I think he's an adequate RT....but  he's a guy I'd rather have as a backup.  Edoga is a very interesting piece.  There's some optionality with him on the line at a couple different spots but I do think he has the feet to play LT.

Well, if the CS thinks it is worth it this week then start Chuma at LT since Beachem likely will be too hurt to start. Leave Shell at RT and we'll see how both hold up. Either struggles and they need TE help since we need to protect Sam against this D with their combination of being the top D as well as the multiple of penalties they will not get thrown on them with these gutless refs.

17 minutes ago, varjet said:

If JD wanted Shell back, he would sign him now.  Shell should take a reasonable offer to put money in the bank and secure his future. 

Otherwise Shell is a FA, and guys like that tend to switch teams if the existing team does not extend them.

same thing for Jordan Jenkins this year.  Don’t know whether he fits in either.  He is a good guy though. 

The #1 guy Douglas should be looking to re-sign is Brian Poole.

He’s been fantastic so far this season. Best nickel corner in the league.

2 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Winters: gone

Osemele: too expensive...gone

Shell: decent backup

Kalhil: retire

Edoga and Lewis May earn starting roles. We will need a C a LT and another G and depth. Long way to go. Get busy JD.

Harrison can remain as a backup Center. As you said the C, T, and G should be 2 draft picks and 1 FA next year, plus some depth maybe from lower tier FAs and lower draft picks. We only have like 6 draft picks and may have trouble filling 2-3 Olineman and probably needing a CB, OLB, and maybe even WR. Maybe we can get a higher than expected draft pick for Leo and use it on one of these spots. At this point a 2nd rounder for him would help. I think they are high on DE Phillips who could take Leo's spot and along with Anderson, QW, etc. keep the Dline good for the next year or so.   

• Sympathy 1

I don't like Shell much.  To the extent that he doesn't suck, he will probably get a low level starting RT contract.  That isn't what I want to pay for an experiment at RG.

I guess thats why we aren't the GM....

You don't get to pick.  Shell is a free agent.  You have to sign him.  IIRC, Edoga, Winters, Harrison, Osemele, and Conor McDermott are the only guys signed. 

Beachum, Shell, Lewis, Kalil, and Compton would have to be signed to get back to the sh*tty level we are at now. 

Well that’s what I mean by pick....Pay Shell and play him or let him go and play Edoga 

Edoga and Lewis are interesting pieces who have worked out well so far. I think they get the rest of the season to cement their places on this OL. I'm thinking Edoga will have some ups and downs(rookie) but I'm encouraged. Lewis I haven't seen enough of but I can see he is better than what we have now so he gets a shot. Shell? A back-up and spot starter at best. Maybe he can get some experience and use that to cover up some of his flaws but as a building block starter on the OL? No. I don't think so.

45 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

2020 draft:

1st - best LT on the board

2nd or 3rd - best C on the board

4th or 5th - best OL on the board (backup)

Plus Lewis, Edoga, and decent vet OL signing

We need to come away with at least 2 WR's with our first 4 picks. It's the best positional group of players in this upcoming draft and fits a need. We can't pull another Idzik circa 2014.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jethead said:

Need to decide if Edoga can play LT. IMO, he's not big enough for RT. 

Would look very hard at Scherf. He could be what we hoped Osemele was.

Scherff was the one Mac should have drafted instead of Leo so that would be fitting.

I don't see the Jets taking as many OL as some of you do. That said, I'd like a real upgrade at ONE spot. That is, whatever blue chip OL is available on the second day, you take, would be my strategy.

I believe the real weakness in the Jets OL is its lack of physicality. Have to address that.

And its age. There should be no need to have people out of retirement starting.

Fix the lack of physicality, especially inside, and the rest will take care of itself.