The Jets signed DL Corbin Kaufusi to the practice squad

C Mart

Rich Cimini @RichCimini

The #Jets signed DL Corbin Kaufusi to the practice squad, meaning they have two Kaufusis on the PS — brothers Corbin and Bronson. Corbin is 6-9, Bronson is 6-6. They had an opening because S Bennett Jackson signed with the Ravens.

The best Kaufusi gets promoted to the 53 when Leo gets traded. ?

• Sympathy 1

Overview

Hard working edge defender who plays with good technique and toughness, but is hindered by his extremely long and leggy build. Kaufusi will need to add at least 20 pounds of muscle to help fill out his frame, but he will still be dealing with leverage concerns due to his height. He does a good job of taking on blockers in front of him in the run game, but his rush relies heavily on effort over go-to moves. His age and frame work against him, but he’s got a shot if he can get bigger and stronger.

The strange, wild adventure of new Jets offensive lineman Corbin Kaufusi

Manish Mehta
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS |
OCT 19, 2019 | 8:00 AM

Corbin Kaufusi went from unemployed to being wanted by two teams in two leagues at two different positions on the same day.

The Jets plucked Kaufusi off the street this week to give him a chance to prove that he can play offensive tackle after spending his college career and summer with the Saints at defensive end.

ADVERTISEMENT

Less than two hours after Kaufusi signed on the dotted line Tuesday, the St. Louis BattleHawks of the new XFL that starts in February drafted him to be a defensive end.

“I literally got a text from someone else saying congrats on getting drafted by the XFL,” Kaufusi said with a laugh. “And they didn’t know that I had just signed here. So, it’s been a whirlwind. But it’s kind of fun.”

So, how exactly will this work with the dual interest?

“To be honest, I have no idea,” Kaufusi said. “Hopefully, my agent knows a lot more than I do. I heard it starts in January. It’s one of those things where I’m like, ‘Oh! I didn’t know!’ I’ve been so busy here.”

Corbin Kaufusi returned to football at BYU after his Mormon mission as a defensive end but the Jets will audition him on the O-line.
Corbin Kaufusi returned to football at BYU after his Mormon mission as a defensive end but the Jets will audition him on the O-line. (Rick Bowmer/AP)

The 6-9, 275-pound Kaufusi is reunited with his older brother Bronson, who’s also on the practice squad, for the first time in 10 years. The brothers played on the same high school team for one season. Although both went to BYU, they never actually played together.

Corbin was the starting center on the basketball team and went on a two-year Mormon mission before turning back to football. He spent the offseason in New Orleans before getting cut after the preseason.

Corbin Kaufusi spent the offseason with the Saints.
Corbin Kaufusi spent the offseason with the Saints. (KYUSUNG GONG/AP)

He surveyed his options before trying a different position that is always in demand. The dearth of quality offensive tackles prompted Corbin to change positions with the help of longtime offensive line coach Pat Morris, who quickly realized that Kaufusi had the requisite skills to attempt the position switch.

“It’s funny, because in my first year in college I did offensive line in spring ball,” Kaufusi said. “I was an offensive tackle. I went on a church mission, came back three inches taller and went to basketball. … When I went back to football, they came to me and said they wanted me to play D-end. So, it’s been this crazy adventure to get to where I’m at.”

Now, he’s hoping to show the Jets that he’s a worthy investment as he learns to play on the other side of the ball.

“They always say offensive linemen are the smartest guys on the field,” Kaufusi said. “I think it’s being smart and patient whereas defensive linemen are all aggression. You’re coming off and you’re just hitting someone. So, it’s finding the balance of that as an offensive lineman. Yeah, you want to still hit people but you don’t want to overdo it. You don’t want to overplay the position.”

Offensive line coach Frank Pollack offered some early words of advice that should serve Kaufusi well as he begins the next chapter of his football life.

“You still want to keep that defensive mindset,” Kaufusi said. “You still want to have that chip on your shoulder and be aggressive. You don’t want to be soft.”

And if it doesn’t work out, the XFL is waiting.

On 10/15/2019 at 4:23 PM, C Mart said:

Overview

Hard working edge defender who plays with good technique and toughness, but is hindered by his extremely long and leggy build. Kaufusi will need to add at least 20 pounds of muscle to help fill out his frame, but he will still be dealing with leverage concerns due to his height. He does a good job of taking on blockers in front of him in the run game, but his rush relies heavily on effort over go-to moves. His age and frame work against him, but he’s got a shot if he can get bigger and stronger.

So you’re saying roids?