Orlovsky Breaks Down Darnold Sequence Just Before Halftime

Lith

1 hour ago, estang74 said:

Eddie Van Halen from 78’ to 84’ absolutely destroys Frank Gamble, especially 78’ to 81’ Eddie Van Halen. 

It's a different cup of tea.  Eddie was great and innovative with tapping and harmonics but he was pretty limited in his musical vocabulary. Matter of fact, he knows nothing about music theory and it shows in his playing because he only does it almost by ear a lot of repetitive pentatonic and few minor scales.  Frank is an innovator of sweeping, which no one still can't  match and has far superior understanding of music in his playing.  Sure, to many non descriminating drinkers, a bottle of Jack Daniel's is same as a 30 year old single malts scotch. But the latter has something extra only whiskey connoisseurs appreciate.

26 minutes ago, Newjetsfan said:

It's a different cup of tea.  Eddie was great and innovative with tapping and harmonics but he was pretty limited in his musical vocabulary. Matter of fact, he knows nothing about music theory and it shows in his playing because he only does it almost by ear a lot of repetitive pentatonic and few minor scales.  Frank is an innovator of sweeping, which no one still can't  match and has far superior understanding of music in his playing.  Sure, to many non descriminating drinkers, a bottle of Jack Daniel's is same as a 30 year old single malts scotch. But the latter has something extra only whiskey connoisseurs appreciate.

It's apples and oranges really. Clapton, Van Halen, and Jimi are all blues-based rock guitarists. when you're talkin Chick Corea you're talkin Miles Davis as well. Jazz and jazz fusion...and the blues are totally different languages. It's like trying to compare Motley Crue to Steely Dan. Super Bowl party to a wedding reception? Lol... I don't really have a dog in the fight, it's a matter of personal taste. I can appreciate Tony Iommi as much as Georgie Benson...

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, ElBarrioJets said:

As someone who grew up in CT and watched UCONN football for the better part of the past few decades, the fact that Dan Orlovsky is now a respected football analyst is bonkers to me. 

But that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve it. Danny O nails this breakdown. 

The fact that Darnold sees the game this clearly at 22 is a marvel. 

In only his 15th NFL game!!!(he’s not even completed a full 16 games yet) and with a clearly bang average roster(which is pretty decimated by injuries BTW) Outstanding from Darnold.

Take the final 4 games of 2018 and his 2 starts this year and his QBR has to be up there

Also think G Williams deserves a ton of credit for his defence playing well above it’s collective talent level

9 hours ago, Skeptable said:

Marino made those WRs better IMO... Agree to disagree... I think Marino was a star no matter where he played... 

the Marks brothers were pretty good, but Marino would have made any group better and would have been a star no matter where he was drafted and by whom. That Dolphins offense changed from Dan from run to pass , and as much as I dislike Shula he did a good job doing that

• Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, Skeptable said:

Marino made those WRs better IMO... Agree to disagree... I think Marino was a star no matter where he played... 

'Chuck and duck' Marino cared more about his personal stats than winning games. Many was the time when the Phins were losing by 14 or more points in the 4th qtr and the D went into the prevent was when Marino would put up 200 yards and 2 TD's, but the Phins would still lose. Afterwards he'd sit at his locker and smile when asked about another 300 yard game. He also choked big games. My lasting memory of him was the 62-7 1st round playoff loss at Jacksonville.

• Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, deucebag said:

Darnold is the best QB we've had since Kenny O'Brien.   I love how people still whine - we passed on Marino for him - if we drafted Marino and surrounded him with the absolute lack of talent Kenny O had most of his Jet career - he would have sucked too.  Watch game film of Kenny's 2nd and first half of his 3rd season - he was special and this crap organization ruined him.  He was sacked 40 times and hit hard prolly another 30 times during his 3rd season, kinda ruined him.  I cant count how many great throws he made in his career that were called back due to holding penalties.  Walton was a brilliant offensive mind, but he never tailored the offense to fit his personnel.

I liked Kenny O, but I think Darnold is a much better talent. Kenny had a cannon and he was accurate, but he was a statute back there and held the ball forever. Darnold offers much more in the pocket and escaping the pocket. 

• Sympathy 1

17 hours ago, Skeptable said:

I know you say that but Marinos never had a running game, and his Oline was mediocre at best... and Kenny O still had Walker and mcneil and eventually toon and shuler. Jojo... Dan Marino would have been a star on the Jets, period.

so why didn't marino have a running game or even a decent defense?  it's all on marino?  it's all on shula who suddenly forgot how to coach defenses or have a running game after marino came on board.

5 hours ago, maury77 said:

I liked Kenny O, but I think Darnold is a much better talent. Kenny had a cannon and he was accurate, but he was a statute back there and held the ball forever. Darnold offers much more in the pocket and escaping the pocket. 

darnold is much better.  obrien had better players on the oline and as receivers.  bell is probably better than mcneil and shuler is better than herndon at the moment.

17 hours ago, deucebag said:

Darnold is the best QB we've had since Kenny O'Brien.   I love how people still whine - we passed on Marino for him - if we drafted Marino and surrounded him with the absolute lack of talent Kenny O had most of his Jet career - he would have sucked too.  Watch game film of Kenny's 2nd and first half of his 3rd season - he was special and this crap organization ruined him.  He was sacked 40 times and hit hard prolly another 30 times during his 3rd season, kinda ruined him.  I cant count how many great throws he made in his career that were called back due to holding penalties.  Walton was a brilliant offensive mind, but he never tailored the offense to fit his personnel.

I agree, and as I have said many times:  Ken has the same # of SB wins as Marino....

• Haha 1

The play at 3:30 of this video, to me, was Sam's best pass of the game.  He slides in one direction (left), defender pops up in face and he slides back to the right while throwing a rope on target to Crowder (running left).  I can't find it now, but the angle from behind the line shows what he did even better. 

https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/highlights-every-sam-darnold-throw-from-the-win-over-dallas

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

so why didn't marino have a running game or even a decent defense?  it's all on marino?  it's all on shula who suddenly forgot how to coach defenses or have a running game after marino came on board.

Those teams never had a good running back and Marino didn't care... The point was that Marino would have succeeded anywhere he went and the narrative that if he went to the jets he would have ended up like Kenny O is not anything based in any sort of fact... If the jets built an oline around kenny o he might have been way better and lasted longer... But if Marino came to the jets he would have been a hall of famer on a different team

• Upvote 1

Darnold is a way different QB than O'Brien and Marino.  Both O'Brien and Marino were strictly pocket passers with rocket arms, except Joe Walton went all conservative with O'Brien and turned him into a dinker.  O'Brien only had a good OL his first season and the first half of his second season, it was then in 1985 that Marvin Powell, Joe Fields and Dan Alexander had significant drop offs in performance.  Powell was gone by 1986 when the Jets were forced to put the undersized Jim Sweeny at LT, Ted Banker was a horrible starting G and Joe Fields, Dan Alexander and Reggie McElroy each missed half the season with injuries.  By the time 1987 rolled around O'Briens blindside was unprotected by the human holding penalty machine aka Jeff Criswell and the awful #1 pick Mike Haight.  I honestly have no idea where you guys get the idea that O'Brien had a good OL in front of him - in reality it was only good for 1984 and half of 1985 - after that they were among the worst.

Also JoJo Townsell?  yeah he was a third round pick - but he was absolutely atrocious and only once in his career did he catch more than 12 passes  in a season. - the guy was a friggin USFL reject.  Do you remember due to constant injuries to Walker and Toon and the uselessness of Townsell and Sohn - out of desperation they tried to convert CB Bobby Humphrey to WR- he had blazing speed, but as a CB he couldn't catch an interception and it wasn't any different as a WR.

True from 1984-1988 Michey Shuler was one of the best TE's in Football - but he was done once 1989 rolled around.

The ONLY season where O'Brien had a good OL and Mickey Shuler, Al Toon, Wesley Walker and Freeman McNeil together for more than 10 games - O'Brien led the entire NFL in passer rating - in fact at the time I believe it was an all-time performance and he was (again at that moment in time) statistically the best QB in NFL history..  He was a damn good QB who was dwarfed by having the cr@p knocked out of him game after game, and declining talent surrounding him.  then in comes Dick Steinberg who hires Bruce Coslet whose offense revolved around a zone blocking scheme and play action and Dick drafts Blair Thomas - a plodding power back who had no vision or moves - he needed an OL that pulled guards and tackles to blow holes open for him - and he of course failed.

PS a fun fact about Kenny O - his daughter is married to former Nickelodeon Star (Drake and Josh) Josh Peck!

Finally, yes OK Marino was better than O'Brien - but dramatically better?  No.

I have lived the nightmare of being a Jets fan since 1978.  I watched our prized #1 pick QB Richard Todd lose his starting job to Matt Robinson only to see Robinson have a pathetic season due to the fact he hid a serious thumb injury.  This enraged OC Joe Walton so much that the Jets traded him to a team DUMBER than them - the Broncos gave them a #1 and #2 draft pick for the former 9th round pick - and what did the Jets do with their myriad of picks - they traded two first rounders to move up and select the speeding bullet Lam Jones - all speed - no hands and a couple of broken collar bones later he was out of the NFL (BTW the Jets once again found a dumber franchise when they traded Richard Todd to the Saints for their #1 pick and what did they do with that pick you ask?  Drafted Ron Farot a 6'5 255Lb OLB who they proclaimed to be a Mark Gastineau clone - only problem was 1) Farot didnt juice and 2) Farot didnt like contact - he didnt want to tackle anyone, didnt want to get hit and seemingly ran away from blockers rather than engage them...what a clusterfuk!).   After the most disheartening game I have ever seen - the 14-0 mud bowl that literally brought poor pubescent deucebag to tears - our crazy but good HC Walt Michaels went into a drunken tirade on the flight back where he went up and down the aisles insulting everyone in his path including team executives - the best of all was telling Punter Chuck Ramsey " I can fart further than you can punt".  So Michaels was fired and a new air of hope was brought to light as Todd's whisperer Joe Nose Pickin Walton took over and led us to years of disappointments, unending frustration, persistent draw play s on 3rd and long and my favorite "its not a rebuilding year its a refurbishing year".  Then came Coslet and his obese daughter tangling herself in the wires connected to his soundless headset - I just made up a joke - Whats more offensive than Coslet's ginormous daughter prancing on the sideline of a pro football team?  Holly Mangold deadlifting more than her brother LOLOLOL (Apologies to Nick, one of the greatest Jets of all-time).

Ugh, I better stop before I get banned for life.

darnold is much better.  obrien had better players on the oline and as receivers.  bell is probably better than mcneil and shuler is better than herndon at the moment.

On 10/15/2019 at 6:46 PM, Saul Goodman said:

Oozes talent. We’ve never had a QB like this. 

Pennington and Sanchez had their moments.

But Chad could not physically do what Darnold does. Didn’t have the arm, overall strength and build that Darnold does.

Sanchez could not perform the pre-snap reads nor go through his progressions like Darnold can. 

Neither had the accuracy (no not even Chad) or ability to move in the pocket like Darnold does. 

I believe chad for a while had the record for completion percentage in a season (68%).  Chads injuries took away from what i thought could have been a really great career.  His arm strength was his undoing, but i ultimately believe that it was even further stunted by constantly having to rehab injuries to that shoulder, instead of continuing to work on throwing mechanics and overall strength.. Had those injuries never happened who knows what could have been.

That being said darnolds physical talents are extremely unique, combine that with top notch intangibles and you can see why his potential is as high as the best qbs in the game.  The crazy thing is too is he's only 22, and has only been playing the position for like 5 years (he was a LB in high school who converted to QB his junior year i believe).  Coming out his ceiling was perhaps the greatest of any player coming out in a decade (other than mahomes).