Tiki says Darnold is "anti-Baker"

8 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Baker is on his way to Jeff George status. 

Maybe, but its still very early in his career.  I will forever be comparing Darnold to Baker, Allen, Rosen and Jackson so I delight in any of their failures, but it's too early to enshrine or label any of them as losers.  I would always have preferred Darnold over a guy like Baker for the Jets due to the personality as well. Baker would be in trouble in NY/NJ IMO.  Could you imagine Sam with OBJ, Landry and Njoku etc? 

Let's hope that Darnold can continue to progress this season and watch as next year JD does what we have all been dreaming of. Build a top 5 OL and get Sam a legit star WR to go with Anderson and Crowder.  Boy oh Boy am I looking forward to seeing Herndon on the field. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Nah, he's way more accurate than Jeff George ever was. 

Baker is a victim of the insane hype bestowed upon him by the national media. He beat up on a lot of bad teams/bad defenses last year and the media responded by basically telling everyone he was ready to be an MVP type of player . . . and he wasn't. 

As the schedule softens, the Browns will win some games and finish right around 8-8/9-7, which is where a lot of sharp people had them at the beginning of the year, anyway. 

The thing that worries me about Baker long term is still his demeanor/personality. Fiery guys like him flame out and I could see the expectations of stardom getting to him. But, I still think he has a lot of talent as a passer. 

If you actually watch him play that's not really the case.  Two of his three INTs were behind or clunked to his WRs.  He leads the NFL in INTs this season.  He leads the NFL in INTs since he was named starter.  That's a little over a full season.  None of this says accurate.  This isn't college in a high powered offense vs weak college defenses, it's the NFL

Maybe he should stop making every commercial he can.  Makes it look like he's not working on being a football player, even if not the case.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Nah, he's way more accurate than Jeff George ever was. 

Baker is a victim of the insane hype bestowed upon him by the national media. He beat up on a lot of bad teams/bad defenses last year and the media responded by basically telling everyone he was ready to be an MVP type of player . . . and he wasn't. 

As the schedule softens, the Browns will win some games and finish right around 8-8/9-7, which is where a lot of sharp people had them at the beginning of the year, anyway. 

The thing that worries me about Baker long term is still his demeanor/personality. Fiery guys like him flame out and I could see the expectations of stardom getting to him. But, I still think he has a lot of talent as a passer. 

I never thought JG was inaccurate, I thought he had average  accuracy,  I just felt he was dumb as a brick. 

Just now, Jet Nut said:

If you actually watch him play that's not really the case.  Two of his three INTs were behind or clunked to his WRs.  He leads the NFL in INTs this season.  He leads the NFL in INTs since he was named starter.  That's a little over a full season.  None of this says accurate.  This isn't college in a high powered offense vs weeks defenses, it's the NFL

Maybe he should stop making every commercial he can.  Makes it look like he's not working on being a football player, even if not the case.

He's playing poorly right now, but I still think he will turn out to be an accurate passer and he is still more accurate than Jeff George, who was the biggest tease ever. 

• Upvote 1

With the weapons he has and the team around him the number of interceptions he has thrown has to be concerning.  

Ironically Sam was viewed as a possible turn over machine coming out but has really improved in that regard while Mayfield was lauded for not turning the ball over and probably why the Browns took him first. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

I never thought JG was inaccurate, I thought he had average  accuracy,  I just felt he was dumb as a brick. 

Well you don't have to be smart to be an NFL QB. Just look at Terry Bradshaw. Chuck Knoll wanted to kill Bradshaw because he was dumb as a post. They had to simplify the offense for him. Knoll was one of the first HC's to come up with the plays on a wristband because of Bradshaw's stupidity.

3 hours ago, Klecko73isGod said:

Part of this is Baker's own doing, He was cocky as hell in the offseason and he didn't have to accept every offer to do a TV commercial. 

He should have been in the film room studying, like Sam. 

This.  Was just typing up a similar response.  Mayfield once went to the podium in a press conference and said "I woke up this morning feeling dangerous".  ******* dbag.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

AGreed the hype train hit him like a freight train but leading the league in interceptions is also telling of other underlying issues. He’s just not seeing the field well at all and that regression is concerning. There is a such thing as being rattled week after week by pass rush but this seems to be different. He’s just not clicking with the play calling and his teammates on each play. Is this on Kitchens more than anything? Idk. But this has been ugly to see. Didn’t expect this in the offseason.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Well you don't have to be smart to be an NFL QB. Just look at Terry Bradshaw. Chuck Knoll wanted to kill Bradshaw because he was dumb as a post. They had to simplify the offense for him. Knoll was one of the first HC's to come up with the plays on a wristband because of Bradshaw's stupidity.

I was referring  to football IQ. You don't  question a QB with as many rings as TB has was not football smart, do you?

I've just been surprised so many people are just now realizing the dude is insanely cocky, thinks he's always "misunderstood". This quote was also used to describe Jachai but he doesnt have issues, he IS the issue.

With that said I do think he has talent and can play in this league, but he needed to go to a team that would tell him to stfu and tone it down. The browns who are always starved for attention were one of the worst possible landing spots, I felt the same way about the Jets.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

Part of this is Baker's own doing, He was cocky as hell in the offseason and he didn't have to accept every offer to do a TV commercial. 

He should have been in the film room studying, like Sam. 

Totally agree. 

This is why I have always argued that Baker's biggest issue is his personality/demeanor/questionable maturity. 

He definitely likes the center of attention and I'm not sure he is quite good enough to handle everything that comes with that. 

1 hour ago, Legend Killa7 said:

I think everyone is piling on Baker right now.  I have posted on this topic many a time:  I wanted Sam, I'm glad we got Sam, but I was prepared to get Baker in the draft last year. 

This is exactly how I felt. I had Sam as the top QB and Baker as the next best QB in that draft and nothing I have seen has changed that opinion. 

17 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Ah, glad I found a thread where we can discuss Baker Mayfield.

Yeah, exactly, let's talk about Baker in every single thread...   Sheesh...

To get back on topic, to talk about OUR quarterback, here are some of Tiki's comments from the video:

- when the pocket breaks down, Sam is calm, poised, looking downfield, side stepping the rush.  He's not trying to be an athlete and run, he's trying to make the pass.  (This is where the "anti-Baker" comment came from.)

- "His wide receivers are ...  good ....  But it's not like any of them are making the pro bowl!"  Sam is making everyone around him better.

- He also said, pretty much - Dak is no Darnold.  Dak struggled without his top-shelf receivers, while for Darnold that's his normal.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

...and here we go again with the JN/ Mayfield obsession.

Even the Monday after the Jets first win of the season, the two most popular threads were related to him. That's why Madison Ave. loves him.

It doesn't matter whether people love him or hate him. Whether he plays good or bad, people just can't get enough Mayfield talk, both here and throughout the League. It's amazing the ability he has to dominate a news cycle, it's very similar to a certain political figure. People can't wait to hear and see what he does next, then react to it. That's star power.

...and here we go again with the JN/ Mayfield obsession.

Even the Monday after the Jets first win of the season, the two most popular threads were related to him. That's why Madison Ave. loves him.

It doesn't matter whether people love him or hate him. Whether he plays good or bad, people just can't get enough Mayfield talk, both here and throughout the League. It's amazing the ability he has to dominate a news cycle, similar to a certain political figure. People can't wait to hear and see what he does next, then react to it. That's star power.

Even though he plays in the no man's land called Cleveland, in less then two seasons he has become an "above the title" headliner in the NFL. 

So it begins, although later than I thought........

;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk