Tiki says Darnold is "anti-Baker"

1 hour ago, thshadow said:

Yeah, exactly, let's talk about Baker in every single thread...   Sheesh...

To get back on topic, to talk about OUR quarterback, here are some of Tiki's comments from the video:

- when the pocket breaks down, Sam is calm, poised, looking downfield, side stepping the rush.  He's not trying to be an athlete and run, he's trying to make the pass.  (This is where the "anti-Baker" comment came from.)

- "His wide receivers are ...  good ....  But it's not like any of them are making the pro bowl!"  Sam is making everyone around him better.

- He also said, pretty much - Dak is no Darnold.  Dak struggled without his top-shelf receivers, while for Darnold that's his normal.

This is where Darnold has just a little bit of that Tom Brady to him.  No, I'm not saying Darnold is Brady, but I've always thought that the one thing Brady is best at is making players around him better.  He's been turning average players into excellent ones, excellent ones into elite ones, and takes an elite player like Randy Moss and finds a way to elevate him even higher to one of the all-time great seasons by a WR.

There's no doubt that Robby Anderson, Crowder, etc. all look a little better because Sam Darnold is delivering the ball to them at the right time in-stride.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

With the weapons he has and the team around him the number of interceptions he has thrown has to be concerning.  

Ironically Sam was viewed as a possible turn over machine coming out but has really improved in that regard while Mayfield was lauded for not turning the ball over and probably why the Browns took him first. 

The more tape the rest of the NFL gets on Mayfield...the more he is going to struggle. And contrarily to popular belief the size thing is a definite issue when applied to Mayfield.  This can’t be said for Russell Wilson or even a very green Kyler Murray (who played great last week, saw him fit a pass into a window smaller than a thimble) who are superior athletes when compared to Mayfield.

A titanic difference between Sam Darnold and Mayfield is starting to become apparent.  Darnold is also a superior athlete when compared to Mayfield but it’s Darnold’s outstanding ability to hit plays “off schedule” that clearly separates him from Mayfield and in time will even widen the gulf more between the two as Darnold becomes a Top 3 QB and then battles Mahomes for the #1 crown.

I predict that Mayfield’s career will have many bumps as he alienates more and more teammates as time goes by.  His shtick is only grudgingly accepted when he wins and most importantly  wins consistently.  I don’t think that will be the case for him in the NFL.  There is a reason why he had to be a walk on at Oklahoma.  I’m not going to take away from him his accomplishments at Oklahoma but Oklahoma is not the NFL, for someone with Mayfield’s skill set.

I’d actually rather have the guy that took over the Sooners following Mayfield QB my team....Kyler Murray.

Darnold was wearing a brown tie on the night of his Draft for a reason....thank you Lord.  Thank you, thank you haha.

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

...and here we go again with the JN/ Mayfield obsession.

Even the Monday after the Jets first win of the season, the two most popular threads were related to him. That's why Madison Ave. loves him.

It doesn't matter whether people love him or hate him. Whether he plays good or bad, people just can't get enough Mayfield talk, both here and throughout the League. It's amazing the ability he has to dominate a news cycle, it's very similar to a certain political figure. People can't wait to hear and see what he does next, then react to it. That's star power.

You bring up this marketability nonsense a lot. Is that what you liked about Mayfield coming out? Did you see him successfully acting in a number of TV commercials as a pro? I mean, no doubt, he has his fellow first rounders beat there. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, slats said:

You bring up this marketability nonsense a lot. Is that what you liked about Mayfield coming out? Did you see him successfully acting in a number of TV commercials as a pro? I mean, no doubt, he has his fellow first rounders beat there. 

I'd much rather he perform well on the field, then make commercials, believe me. 

All I'm pointing out is that Mayfield's personality has made him a bigger star then his play has. Love him, hate him, people want to talk about him. Just look at this board. The threads about Mayfield are everywhere. There are more about him then all the other non Jets players in the league combined. It's amazing to see, and it's not just here at JN, it's the same throughout the league. 

I've only been here a little over a year, so you'd know the answer to this better then me. Who was the last player you can recall playing in a small market like Cleveland who dominated message boards and became the Madison Avenue favorite he has? Favre and Rodgers? Even they took years to do it. That's saying a lot for a guy's star power who's not even half way through his second season.

2 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

...and here we go again with the JN/ Mayfield obsession.

Even the Monday after the Jets first win of the season, the two most popular threads were related to him. That's why Madison Ave. loves him.

It doesn't matter whether people love him or hate him. Whether he plays good or bad, people just can't get enough Mayfield talk, both here and throughout the League. It's amazing the ability he has to dominate a news cycle, it's very similar to a certain political figure. People can't wait to hear and see what he does next, then react to it. That's star power.

You’re missing the point, twice.  These threads are more about how glad we are that we got Darnold, makes it a Darnold thread not a Baker thread. 

i could care less how many commercials he accepts today.  But others have noticed and questioned how committed he is.  Especially when he’s playing bad and his overhyped team is falling on its face largely because of a QB who is a turnover machine who can’t games against teams with a winning record 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I'd much rather he perform well on the field, then make commercials, believe me. 

All I'm pointing out is that Mayfield's personality has made him a bigger star then his play has. Love him, hate him, people want to talk about him. Just look at this board. The threads about Mayfield are everywhere. There are more about him then all the other non Jets players in the league combined. It's amazing to see, and it's not just here at JN, it's the same throughout the league. 

I've only been here a little over a year, so you'd know the answer to this better then me. Who was the last player you can recall playing in a small market like Cleveland who became the Madison Avenue favorite he has? Favre and Rodgers? Even they took years to do it. That's saying a lot for a guy not even half way through his second season.

Are you serious?

”Johnny Football” doesn’t ring any bells? In the very same city of Cleveland just like, 3 years ago?

Obviously Baker is better than Manziel but holy sh*t, the Skip Bayless’s of the talking head landscape and the entirety of twitterverse were blowing him all the same. 

The little “money fingers” nonsense he used to do. Being the undersized guy who plays with a chip on his shoulder. “He just makes plays”...all of that crap.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I've only been here a little over a year, so you'd know the answer to this better then me. Who was the last player you can recall playing in a small market like Cleveland who dominated message boards and became the Madison Avenue favorite he has? Favre and Rodgers? Even they took years to do it. That's saying a lot for a guy's star power who's not even half way through his second season.

Why do you care this much?  Now I know how to take your we need to wait see approach to Darnold.

The whole world can’t get enough Baker? Lol, Progressives 3 or 4 short ads say this?  Flo and that goofy guy get more play.  How can you such a fanboy for a team in Cleveland while you’re a jets fan?

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Sam Darnold is still learning to play the football right now. Still raw and still finding his way. Off the field he is already a consummate professional that conducts himself with class and seems to only be thinking of the next game . Even when his spleen is swolled up he was fixated on getting out and playing. So far, so damn good. 

agreed !.. i wanted NO part of baker   ;)

cheers ~ ~

:beer:

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

The problem is. I'm not sure this is a good thing for his prospects on the field. 

If you are a Baker fan, I think you should be rooting for people to stop talking about him so much and/or for him to generally tone it down. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Baker is a victim of the insane hype bestowed upon him by the national media.

Can you really be a victim to your own doing?  Baker took his hype, and multiplied it by 10 with his jerk off mouth. 

• Upvote 3

You don't think the Browns forums talk about Darnold? I guarantee if Darnold keeps playing you'll see a ton of his threads on their forums. Mayfield, Darnold, and Allen are going to be among topics of conversation on our boards moving forward.

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Sam Darnold is still learning to play the football right now. Still raw and still finding his way. Off the field he is already a consummate professional that conducts himself with class and seems to only be thinking of the next game . Even when his spleen is swolled up he was fixated on getting out and playing. So far, so damn good. 

Can I get an amen brother!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

You're not wrong

And to be quite honest neither was he (and I always hated the dude, and always thought he was overrated as hell, and was nothing more then a 3rd round talent), his world class mouth basically moved him from mid rounder to 1st overall.  Can’t knock the hustle.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

This is where Darnold has just a little bit of that Tom Brady to him.  No, I'm not saying Darnold is Brady, but I've always thought that the one thing Brady is best at is making players around him better.  He's been turning average players in excellent ones, excellent ones into elite ones, and takes an elite player like Randy Moss and finds a way to elevate him even higher to one of the all-time great seasons by a WR.

There's no doubt that Robby Anderson, Crowder, etc. all look a little better because Sam Darnold is delivering the ball to them at the right time in-stride.

very good post.  as usual.

• Sympathy 1

Weird how this QB draft class, which was supposed to be one of the best in recent years, is shaping up.  Lamar looks great, but he's also in the best situation w/ one of the best run franchises in the sport.  Mayfield is in what should be a great situation, but can't seem to get out of his own way.  Can only imagine how that would play out here.  Sam in probably one of the worst situations given the media, the o line and the history of the franchise.  Incomplete thus far, but there is obviously hope.  Then you have Rosen.  2 Franchises have basically given up on him already.  

Forgot Allen - seems to be riding that defense, but you got to worry about his health given the way he plays.

8 minutes ago, Welp said:

You don't think the Browns forums talk about Darnold? I guarantee if Darnold keeps playing you'll see a ton of his threads on their forums. Mayfield, Darnold, and Allen are going to be among topics of conversation on our boards moving forward.

and don't forget Jones (where's that "rolling eyes" emoji?)

4 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Maybe, but its still very early in his career.  I will forever be comparing Darnold to Baker, Allen, Rosen and Jackson so I delight in any of their failures, but it's too early to enshrine or label any of them as losers.  I would always have preferred Darnold over a guy like Baker for the Jets due to the personality as well. Baker would be in trouble in NY/NJ IMO.  Could you imagine Sam with OBJ, Landry and Njoku etc? 

Let's hope that Darnold can continue to progress this season and watch as next year JD does what we have all been dreaming of. Build a top 5 OL and get Sam a legit star WR to go with Anderson and Crowder.  Boy oh Boy am I looking forward to seeing Herndon on the field. 

Im hoping to compare him to Brees, Brady and co. The kid has talent BUT as you stated, way too early.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, slats said:

It's mostly here. Jets fans in general, and especially on this board, were fully prepared to have Baker Mayfield as their starting QB and getting used to liking the idea. Maccagnan was reportedly, "not letting Mayfield get past the third pick in the draft." We had polls here about who do you want and Mayfield, IIRC, won - largely, IMHO, because we all expected Sam Darnold off the board. I think the vast majority of us just didn't expect him to be there. And I include myself in this group. I hardly looked at Darnold predraft and fully expected Mayfield to be the Jets QB. 

So the Mayfield-Darnold comparisons here are very natural to begin with, the QB many of us wanted/expected vs. the QB we've got. But then we here have the agitating factor of @Villain The Foe forever pimping him with novel-length posts followed up by replying to everyone who posts in his threads, and then the non-stop victory lap from last year's Jets game thru to the opening of this season. You shared in those victory laps, which is why you get brought up a lot, too. With your invested interest in the player, you probably notice it more than I do. 

As for the national media, it's more par for the course type stuff. Americans love to build people up, and they love to tear them down. A lot of fans strongly dislike the cocky trash-talking from great players, they tend to pile on when the mouth in question leads the league in interceptions on a sweetheart Super Bowl contender that no one expects to sniff the playoffs anymore after just six games. Mayfield went from the hype train to the second worst rated QB in the league, ahead only of the recently re-benched Josh Rosen. People are eating that **** up, and not really in a successful Madison Ave type of way. Those endorsements will start drying up if he doesn't start playing better - especially with that supporting cast. The schedule softens up for the Browns, so we'll see how it plays out. I suspect that he's gonna be on his third head coach in three years next season, though. 

Did this need my attention? 

I dont want to be responding to everything, ya know.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Did this need my attention? 

I dont want to be responding to everything, ya know.

I like to use the tagging feature to make sure that I'm not talking behind anyone's back here. 

But, lol, I know you really had to temper yourself there not to bang out a long reply. :) 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

With the weapons he has and the team around him the number of interceptions he has thrown has to be concerning.  

Ironically Sam was viewed as a possible turn over machine coming out but has really improved in that regard while Mayfield was lauded for not turning the ball over and probably why the Browns took him first. 

Very true. Kirwan ranked Darnold like 4th because he thought he would always fumble and throw interceptions but Sam adapts so fast he may be among the most secure QBs in the NFL with the ball in the pocket.

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

Dude lol. This is like the fifth thread I've seen you call him a star in. You really love him, huh?

FYI, since you have only been here for a year, you don't realize that the reason you think Mayfield is "dominating madison ave message boards" is because of @Villain The Foe. Mike Glennon also "dominated madison ave message boards" and he was never the "star" that you think Baker is.

1 hour ago, slats said:

I like to use the tagging feature to make sure that I'm not talking behind anyone's back here. 

But, lol, I know you really had to temper yourself there not to bang out a long reply. :) 

Now see what you started below Slats? 12 months from now folks will be playing the victim card yet again talking about how all I did was spam the thread with Mayfield. Yet this is generally how it starts. The irony? Just like how I was quoted by you here, someone in the 3rd Mayfield thread did the same. I asked them not to quote me everytime they had a feeling, who comes out of left field to enter the fray with an immediate quote in order to fan flames? The same guy below who will claim victim status and doesnt temper himself when it's time to bust out that classic "Like I said, Mayfield is a plug and play starter with limited upside", as many times as I've mentioned Mike Glennon back in 2014/15.

So for the record,when this becomes the 6th Mayfield thread to dominate the board, dont forget how it was started and recognize that the same guy who jumped in to fan the flames was the exact same guy who did it last time

But of course, its just Villain by himself right? I dont mind really, I'd just wish people stop lying about this such as "responding to everyone who post in his threads" when I made none of these threads....im called into them. 

My bad for the long post. I couldnt help but state the facts. 

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Dude lol. This is like the fifth thread I've seen you call him a star in. You really love him, huh?

FYI, since you have only been here for a year, you don't realize that the reason you think Mayfield is "dominating madison ave message boards" is because of @Villain The Foe. Mike Glennon also "dominated madison ave message boards" and he was never the "star" that you think Baker is.

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

Now see what you started below Slats? 12 months from now folks will be playing the victim card yet again talking about how all I did was spam the thread with Mayfield. Yet this is generally how it starts. The irony? Just like how I was quoted by someone in the 3rd Mayfield thread, I asked them not to quote me everytime you have a feeling, who comes out of left field to enter the fray with an immediate quote in order to fan flames? The same guy below who will claim victim status and doesnt temper himself when it's time to bust out that classic "Like I said, Mayfield is a plug and play starter with limited upside", as many times as I've mentioned Mike Glennon back in 2014/15.

So for the record,when this becomes the 6th Mayfield thread to dominate the board, dont forget how it was started and recognize that the same guy who jumped in to fan the flames was the exact same guy who did it last time

But of course, its just Villain by himself right? I dont mind really, I'd just wish people stop lying about this such as "responding to everyone who post in his threads" when I made none of these threads....im called into them. 

My bad for the long post. I couldnt help but state the facts. 

tl;dr, but at least tagging you worked! Got the long post for Slats!

20 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

tl;dr, but at least tagging you worked! Got the long post for Slats!

@slats

So when I call him my "Stan" it's clear that it's true. 

Stan's will say and do anything for attention, going as far as pulling victim cards and spitting on their own face in order to call it tears.

See how quickly this became a thing? 

I wasnt even in the thread until the usual happens. 

Maybe next time when you quote me atleast Ill read something a bit more factual. 

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

This is where Darnold has just a little bit of that Tom Brady to him.  No, I'm not saying Darnold is Brady, but I've always thought that the one thing Brady is best at is making players around him better.  He's been turning average players into excellent ones, excellent ones into elite ones, and takes an elite player like Randy Moss and finds a way to elevate him even higher to one of the all-time great seasons by a WR.

WTF?!?!?!?!  Randy Moss was a HOF'er way before he got to New England.   

Jesus man.  How do you keep finding ways to totally insult the GOATS/my favorite people of all time with all these misinformed takes while complimenting my least favorite people in the history of the world who happen to be absolute ******* frauds? 

p.s.

Sam Darnold is 100x more physically gifted than Tom Brady.  And if Sammy boys gets on the avohghcado ice cream regiment like Tom, he'll get bigger, faster, stronger and play till he's 45 too.

p.s.s.

i love you

no mono

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1