Sam Darnold named AFC Offensive Player of the Week.

Mogglez

Sam Darnold

Coming off of a big team win for the Jets this past Sunday, quarterback Sam Darnold has also earned some individual accolades for his efforts as he was named the AFC offensive player of the week.

Sam Darnold was named AFC Offensive Player of the Week #nyj

— Brian Costello (@BrianCoz) October 16, 2019

After missing several games due to a bout of mono, Darnold came back against the Dallas Cowboys and threw for 338 yards while going 22-32 passing.  One of his two touchdown passes was also a highlight reel toss as he hit receiver Robby Anderson on a 92 yard scoring strike in the second quarter.

The post Darnold Earns AFC Offensive Player of the Week Honors appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
aartF_wSTyg

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

wait....he won Offensive Player of the Week?  Like for the WHOLE AFC???  But so many people on these forums said he "sucks", "5th best QB taken in 2018 draft", "2nd best QB in town", "let him go and tank for Tua" etc etc etc.  how is this possible???

but in all seriousness, well deserved!  what a difference a QB makes!  Now if we can just get CJ, Herndon, etc maybe we can be somewhat competitive on Monday night.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I get nervous about all the accolades.  Just like in the Dallas game where the announcers were praising him like crazy, next play interception!

We were so lucky the Giants took a RB and the Browns took a baby.

the accolades by nantz and romo towards darnold were nothing compared to the ones heaped on zeke and dak.  far too much of a cowgirl's lovefest.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Sam isn't a rookie, didn't throw it 52 times, and 23/51 =/= 71.9%. Other than that, great article!

on the rookie front, technically you are correct, but he still has not played 16 games yet.....

but yeah, how do these people have jobs with wrong info like that???  I mean 23 of 52 is Off player of the week?  haha  with less than 50% comp?

30 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Sam isn't a rookie, didn't throw it 52 times, and 23/52 =/= 71.9%. Still, congrats Sam!

28 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Just caught that myself lmao.

27 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

on the rookie front, technically you are correct, but he still has not played 16 games yet.....

but yeah, how do these people have jobs with wrong info like that???  I mean 23 of 52 is Off player of the week?  haha  with less than 50% comp?

He was 23/32.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

I get nervous about all the accolades.  Just like in the Dallas game where the announcers were praising him like crazy, next play interception!

I'm not sure if you're just talking about superstition, but I think we all agree that Sam isn't the kind of person that will let things go to his head.

7 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

Listen I was so ticked off after week 1 when people on here were saying things like "tank for Tua", "Sam sucks", etc.  it was one game, he actually played pretty well (11th ranked QB that week), and as we have since come to realize:  1) he was PLAYING WITH MONO and 2) the Bills D is legit.  ask Brady.

So I would be a hypocrite if I now proclaimed Sam to be "God" after this one game, but come on let's have some optimism people!!  This kid is real good; hopefully great, and hopefully one day AMAZING!  it's not like we have had Montana, Marino and Brady as our past QBs!!!  I mean the people on here act like Sam has some tough shoes to fill or something!!  I know Namath, but that was over 50 years ago, and Sam is closest yet!!

My exact thoughts. couldn’t of worded it any better. Monday Night is such.a big test for him and I wouldn’t want it any other way. The Patriots defense looks straight up elite right now and if Sam goes in there and wins this game. It’s going to be something else. In fact it’s going to spark a huge run of the table on weak-average teams. I want to be 7-4 by Week 11. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

My exact thoughts. couldn’t of worded it any better. Monday Night is such.a big test for him and I wouldn’t want it any other way. The Patriots defense looks straight up elite right now and if Sam goes in there and wins this game. It’s going to be something else. In fact it’s going to spark a huge run of the table on weak-average teams. I want to be 7-4 by Week 11. 

I think you might be getting a little ahead of yourself here. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

I think you might be getting a little ahead of yourself here. 

Well to be fair I don’t expect it lol..I just want it. To put back on my reasonable face..I do expect there to be a few duds and I don’t expect Darnold to be other-worldly every game. 

It’d be nice though.

i think as long as we stay focused, Bengals, Miami(X2), Skins, Giants... those can be wins more than they can be losses. It just depends on us. Patriots game is the last one I feel like we can play great and still lose. 

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

@14 in Green Baker Mayfield sucks

:rolleyes: 

56 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

LOL  14 has been quiet today.  Very interested to see what his thoughts are on this honor for Sam.

Sam was terrific on Sunday. He earned it.

52 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Very quiet lmao! Wonder if Sam is still behind all the other 2018 QB’s that clearly aren’t as ahead of the curb than him.

When you are done taking your little victory lap, am I allowed to point out that Mayfield won the Offensive Rookie of the YEAR award, and a few OPOW's last year. Nice to see Sam finally get on the board though.  :thumbup:

Darnold deserves this recognition he got for Sunday's performance, now let's keep it rolling. This season can still be salvaged.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

:rolleyes: 

Sam was terrific on Sunday. He earned it.

When you are done taking your little victory lap, am I allowed to point out that Mayfield won the Offensive Rookie of the year award, and a few OPOW's last year. Nice to see Sam finally get on the board though.  :thumbup:

Darnold deserves this recognition he got for Sunday's performance, now let's keep it rolling. This season can still be salvaged.

Lol you know what, screw the awards! Sam sees the field better and it’s as clear as the vodka I plan on downing on Monday night.

• Upvote 1