PFF Grades

msena88

49 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I remember when Revis didn't make an "impact" in games because QBs avoided him. Adams is a great player. He is a leader and help the team win games. 

There are a ton of mistakes Macc made (draft picks/FA signings), Adams isn't one of them. 

How many games has he won?

1 hour ago, CTM said:

Which players are ahead of him and what was their draft slot?

I don't think him being the 4th best safety is anything to crow about, is it? It's year 3 and he's one of highest drafted safeties of all time  @1.6

not sure how he grades out at 1st and 3rd but overall is fourth.  but more importantly the knock on adams was his coverage ability and it looks like he's worked on and improved that part of his game.  the jets need another 5 or 6 guys like him.

15 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Yes.  No argument.  Passing on Mahomes was, in retrospect, a Marino-like blunder.  Not only having him, but we'd then have those 3 second round picks back.  But keep in mind that we did not have Andy Reid coaching here and nobody like Kelce or  Hill so Mahomes might have been far less of a TD vending machine here than he has been in KC.  It's an interesting 'what-if' to play out but ultimately pointless.  Moving up to pick Mahomes probably puts Andy Reid into the HoF (both for the saavy to do it and for the inevitable SB that he will win).

In hindsight, maybe.

I’ll admit that I wanted jacksh*t to do with neither Mahomes or Watson at the time.

I knew the Jets were going to suck tremendously in 2017 and I was all about tanking for Darnold or Rosen the following year. I wanted either Fournette or Adams that draft. We got Adams. So I can’t really complain about it. I’ve given Adams plenty of sh*t since then for not making enough impact plays, but if he can start consistently playing like he did on Sunday, I’ll have to change my tune.

Mahomes is literally the only one of these young QB’s that I would rather have over Darnold right now. Not Watson, not Mayfield, not Lamar, not Allen, not Jones, not Murray...none of them.

And as great as Mahomes has been, I seriously doubt he would be the same player here. There’s a huge gap between being coached up by Andy Reid and guys like Todd Bowles and Jeremy Bates. Having legit, all-world playmakers like Travis Kelce and Tyreek Hill doesn’t hurt either.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

Yay! Another thread dissolving into a Jamal Adams’s pissing match.

The better he plays the louder the chorus seems to get of people saying he wasn't worth his draft position.  Given the Jets history of players picked in the Top 10 of the Draft you might expect some satisfaction with having a Pro Bowl defender, even one that lines up like a LB sometimes, but nahhh.  There's just something about this guy that irks people for some reason.  Maybe if the Jets just labeled him a LB the mindset would change?  It would be like, "Hey, look, there's our playmaking LB who also turns out to be the best coverage LB in the NFL.  Do you know how valuable LBs are....Heck, Devin White was taken by Tampa at #5 overall and the dude only has like 17 tackles and 0 sacks!"

:P

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

The NFL doesn't distinguish between OL positions for franchise tag numbers (which sucks for LTs).  Also, IIRC, Scherff was drafted to be a Tackle, but wasn't very good at it so they moved him to OG where he has excelled.  Not sure if they would have drafted him there if they knew that ahead of time.

Oh really?  I was convinced Scherff was drafted as a G.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

The better he plays the louder the chorus seems to get of people saying he wasn't worth his draft position.  Given the Jets history of players picked in the Top 10 of the Draft you might expect some satisfaction with having a Pro Bowl defender, even one that lines up like a LB sometimes, but nahhh.  There's just something about this guy that irks people for some reason.  Maybe if the Jets just labeled him a LB the mindset would change?  It would be like, "Hey, look, there's our playmaking LB who also turns out to be the best coverage LB in the NFL.  Do you know how valuable LBs are....Heck, Devin White was taken by Tampa at #5 overall and the dude only has like 17 tackles and 0 sacks!"

He's a shade shorter than Darron Lee.  Could you imagine if we labeled him a LB?  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

His draft spot and who was drafted after him has zero to do with his ability on the field.

52 minutes ago, thshadow said:

So if Darnold is say the 4th highest QB, and Brady is ahead of him, you'd say, big deal, why we'd draft him 3rd, you can get good quarterbacks in the 6th round?

I still don't think people understand that there are 2 different questions - should we have taken Mahomes or Adams at 6 (because clearly we'd have taken Mahomes if not for Adams - yeah right), or is Adams a really good player?  

Because they aren't 2 different questions.

We are talking about

1) allocation of draft capital

2) allocation of salary cap.

Because Jamal Adams is going to want a premium at contract re-up time based largely on his draft position. If you think he's not, remember that Jamal's base is a 22M contract based on being drafted #6. Marcus Maye's base is 4M (drafted same year, similiar position and 1 round later) , meaning even if thier on field performance was exactly the same Jamal is going to be significantly more expensive to sign based on a much higher starting point and a much more "celebrity" (both of which are driven by his high draft slot)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Adams and James really need a new position. Bandit and Rover really doesn’t cover it. 

Chuck Norris backer?  ?

57 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Dig those heels in deep.

There is nothing to dig in about. Anything I've said since day 1 holds true today. And when Jamal wants a receord setting contract for safety things like what it means to be PFF's 4th best safety, and where his peers were found by other teams are pretty damn important to consider. I'm sorry that it hurts the homers butt to think of these things but they are important to building a winning organization

Jamal is a good player. I don't care for his ego or antics, but he's a good player. This can be true at the same time as acknowleding he was over drafted, is overpaid and will want to be even more overpaid come contract time.

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Oh really?  I was convinced Scherff was drafted as a G.

Looking back, he played LT at Iowa but seemed to be expected to move to RT or OG in the NFL.  The Redskins tried him at RT in training camp but he moved inside before the season started and played there ever since.  I doubt they are complaining too much about his play but they still haven't signed him to a new deal either.  I would not hate the idea of him as a Jet.

He entered training camp competing with Morgan Moses for the starting right tackle position but was moved to right guard prior to the beginning of the regular season. Since he was able to handle bull rushes well, he was thought to better suit the right guard position and be responsible for a smaller area where his power would be more useful.[27] Offensive line coach Bill Callahan named him the Redskin's starting right guard to begin the season, after winning the job over Spencer Long in the preseason.[28]

We should trade Adams now?  Because we can’t figure out the D would suffer with a jag like Miles, the most overrated Jet in decades.  So we guess not much.  A guy who never plays.  
Get rid of Adams, now, because he may want to get paid.  At a position we’ve decided is unimportant because they aren’t paid much?  

Thankfully a fan doesn’t run the team

1 minute ago, CTM said:

There is nothing to dig in about. Anything I've said since day 1 holds true today. And when Jamal wants a receord setting contract for safety things like what it means to be PFF's 4th best safety, and where his peers were found by other teams are pretty damn important to consider.

Jamal is a good player. I don't care for his ego or antics, but he's a good player. This can be true at the same time as acknowleding he was over drated, is overpaid and will want to be even more overpaid come contract time.

Congratulations, you have successfully reminded everyone about his draft position. ???

8 minutes ago, CTM said:

We are talking about

Because Jamal Adams is going to want a premium at contract re-up time based largely on his draft position. If you think he's not, remember that Jamal's base is a 22M contract based on being drafted #6. Marcus Maye's base is 4M (drafted same year, similiar position and 1 round later) , meaning even if thier on field performance was exactly the same Jamal is going to be significantly more expensive to sign based on a much higher starting point and a much more "celebrity" which both are driven by his high draft slot.

But because we have an elite player at a "low value" position can't we franchise him for low $ ?

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

mostlysunny.jpg.ffb0b6141d86aa37d3fb9eaace527690.jpg

Most people:  "Wow what beautiful weather!"

Adams haters:  "Well, those clouds do look a little gray back there.  Too bad, this could have been a nice day."

This day could have been spent at a beautiful beach with chicks in bikinis all over the place and here we are spending the same money to look at some f'n trees.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Congratulations, you have successfully reminded everyone about his draft position. ???

This is a battle for hearts and minds of the fans come contract time given our lunkhead ownership propensity to bow to the will of frorthing at the mouth fans

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, CTM said:

This is a battle for hearts and minds of the fans come contract time given our lunkhead ownership propensity to bow to the will of frorthing at the mouth fans

A battle for hearts and minds? LMFAO!!!

You guys who feel the need to bring up draft position and positional value all the time are just trying to prove "you were right" about him, nothing more. Hearts and minds ...

Black Ink Crew Laughing GIF by VH1

I don't know about anyone else but I couldn't care less if you were right or not. I'm just happy we have a hell of a player on our team. It doesn't happen all that often.

1 hour ago, slats said:

A good player can also be a bad draft pick. Jamal Adams is a very good player, he was also a bad draft pick. 

This is how the NFL values safeties: 

Franchise Tags

QB: $24.865 million
RB: $11.214 million
WR: $16.787 million
TE: $10.387 million
OL: $14.067 million
DE: $17.128 million
DT: $15.209 million
LB: $15.443 million
CB: $16.022 million
S: $11.15 million
K/P: $4.971 million

Lowest value on defense by far, lower than any other positions except TE and K/P. That's not a position you take with the 6th overall pick. As good as Adams is, his selection is part of why Maccagnan's now unemployed. When the time comes, are you going to be looking for the Jets to pay Adams $12M/year+? Some will. He'll also be subject to a lot of the same conversations we're having about Leo Williams right now. 

We are just happy he isnt a Vernon Gholston!

• Sympathy 1

47 minutes ago, slats said:

I try not to do a lot of harping in general but, seriously, are you gonna be in favor of the Jets breaking the bank for a safety in the next couple years? Or will you be wanting to see the Jets get trade value for him instead? How much does the defense fall off with Rontez Miles in at SS? 

If I'm Joe Douglas, Jamal Adams is on the block right now. He's a safety who could get back a potential first round pick. Trading a great safety for, potentially, a very good starting OL, CB, or WR would be a very good trade. 

Particularly this player who is adept at self marketing and social media and these things influence pro bowl voters and ownership come contract time. He's likely going to want a record setting contract for S and the Jets shouldn't pay it unless he puts some clear distance between himself and the next tier of safeties, which he hasn't as of yet. 

16 minutes ago, CTM said:

We are talking about

Because Jamal Adams is going to want a premium at contract re-up time based largely on his draft position. If you think he's not, remember that Jamal's base is a 22M contract based on being drafted #6. Marcus Maye's base is 4M (drafted same year, similiar position and 1 round later) , meaning even if thier on field performance was exactly the same Jamal is going to be significantly more expensive to sign based on a much higher starting point and a much more "celebrity" (both of which are driven by his high draft slot)

So he wants $. The salary cap is a joke. Don't get why anybody cares about spending Woody's money. He's like the Fed. Just print more.

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

A battle for hearts and minds? LMFAO!!!

You guys who feel the need to bring up draft position and positional value all the time are just trying to prove "you were right" about him, nothing more. Hearts and minds ...

Black Ink Crew Laughing GIF by VH1

I don't know about anyone else but I couldn't care less if you were right or not. I'm just happy we have a hell of a player on our team. It doesn't happen all that often.

Lol, yes hearts and minds was tongue in cheek

And again, the draft position is going to drive the starting point for the next contract negotiation. That is the issue.

18 minutes ago, CTM said:

We are talking about

And possibly his ability to stay on the field and make plays.

You guys have waited 37 games for Jamal Adams to show up in the fourth quarter of a football game and even that was when he came unblocked on a safety blitz *after* the Cowboys walked down the field twice for easy TDs against the defense Adams allegedly “leads.” Kudos on your patience, I guess. 

20 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Last week, the reason we were upset at Adams and wanted him off the team is because he didn’t make game-changing plays.

Today, the new reason we want him off the team is that we anticipate that he’ll want a big contract in a year or two. 

Get it right....First, it was "He isn't Patrick Mahomes," then it was "he doesn't make impact plays," and now it's "he'll want big money."

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I've been calling Jamal a good Linebacker for a while now.  Glad to see someone finally embracing this.  

The problem isn't someone calling Adams a good player.  The problem is people suggesting he'll be worthy of an extension paying him top Safety money, which at the moment exceeds $14M a year. 

Additionally, I find a problem with people fighting hard against the idea of trading such a player to improve the team in areas of need.  If he's as good as you guys like to say he is, then surely someone out there will give us a 1st & 4th for him?