sam darnold trade?

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

how is our GM going to handle the roster in a few years when we have to pay Sam $40mm/year for a contract extension?  probably best to trade him now especially coming off the player of the week honors.

maybe package Jamal and Sam for a first round pick?  what can we realistically get for Sam now?  Rosen went for a second so it has to be at least that much right?

Holy Cow Batman!@#$&, maybe the crack pipe you are holding is one special gadget you have that should be retired.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Easy answer.  Stop paying top dollar to average players like Leo Williams.  Shovel money onto Sam Darnold's lap.  Voila!  Problem solved.

Yup.  Dont pay Leonard $14MM per year and Tru $12MM per year, and Kalil $8MM per year -- there is $34MM to pay to your QB. 

Now, its up to Douglas to draft well so we don't have to dole out these FA contracts (or extend 5th yr options in LW's case) to fill holes in the roster.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, batman10023 said:

how is our GM going to handle the roster in a few years when we have to pay Sam $40mm/year for a contract extension?  probably best to trade him now especially coming off the player of the week honors.

maybe package Jamal and Sam for a first round pick?  what can we realistically get for Sam now?  Rosen went for a second so it has to be at least that much right?

This could quite possibly be the most idiotic post of any kind, in the history of the internet

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

23 buttfumbles for poor execution?   

brutal crowd here.

as the saying goes, take a lifetime to earn a reputation and a minute to lose it.

Probably for being the definition af a troll?

Trolling the board!

4 hours ago, batman10023 said:

I hope you enjoyed that 1000+ reputation because  it's  going to take a massive hit today

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, batman10023 said:

I think if you are going for the record of "negative" votes on 1 post... You Win  :)

5 hours ago, batman10023 said:

I know its sarcasm but you still get this:

image.png.6e146821b4908af9df7e3cfda3b0c514.png

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, nycdan said:

The original post is quite obviously a bad attempt at sarcasm.  However, there is a hidden point here.

Mahomes is going to blow the ceiling off of the top QB salary next year.  He should easily push close or even over the $40MM/season range (unless he marries a supermodel who earns hundreds of millions on her own).  

The following year, give or take a bit, Darnold is going to sign and if he's playing like a top-10 QB, the way these things seem to go, he's going to expect a little more than Mahomes got (see Kirk Cousins for recent comp).  And one of the other issues is who signs first between him, Jackson, Mayfield and Allen.  Waiting can make it even worse. 

Now I'll be ecstatic to have a QB that's worth paying top $ to, but it's going to put a huge hurt on our salary cap.  I would expect JD is already figuring out how to lay the groundwork for this (which is why Leo probably won't be back).    

So h

Whose gonna hook up Sam with None-MONO carrying billionaire supermodel?  Supermodels are dime a dozen in New York, right?

7 hours ago, batman10023 said:

Son, smoking crack is not good for your mental nor your physical well being.

In the event you are simply naive, Darnold should get us two #1's and a #2.   Adams should get us a #2 and  a #3.

Miami overpaid for Rosen so badly I have something to be happy about.

14 hours ago, Larz said:

When joking on the internet, it’s helpful to include gifs or emojis 

my 19 year old still doesn’t get sarcasm lol

Have you seen shows and movies catering to that generation? It’s all obscure pop culture references disguised as jokes and self indulgent crap to make the audience feel like they are the “in the know” crowd. Younger generations don’t get humor period. Every good joke is offensive to someone out there. Imagine if Mel Brooks tried to make Blazing Saddles today. They’d burn the theaters down.

14 hours ago, Jethead said:

Only reason you all don't get that he was joking is that he sounds like 1/2 the board last week.

When you have to exaggerate to prove your point, perhaps you don’t have one.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, batman10023 said:

i'll take the other side of this argument.  i think the smart QB's will start to take less to be part of a winning team.  the evidence is there that it's hard to win by over-paying for a QB.   these QB aren't stupid and their careers are much longer now.

around a decade ago you could make 10mm a year as a top QB but your career length wasn't as long.  so you needed to cash in to make sure you had a decent nest egg for when you retired.

but given the rules around QB now, if you are good you can last much longer.  So why not take $30-35mm instead of killing the cap at $40mm if it allows to upgrade at another 2 positions.

Smart people maximize their earnings. All the other stuff is a fans’ wet dream.

This is why we payed Joe Douglas. We need to start putting our money in the most important positions. We have one of the worst olines in the league & the 2nd highest paid. STARTING THIS OFFSEASON we need to infuse some low cost Olineman with a free agent like Scherff. Its imperative we solve 3 spots on that Oline with some youngsters. Pats have done it for years because Brady gets the ball out, Sam has that same ability to help out the Oline with quick decisions. GOTTA build part of the Oline through the draft. 

An elite gm like joe Douglas knows that the best way to keep your roster healthy is to buy have the team buy into a business that darnold owns. That way you can pay him what he is worth under the table and you get compliments about what a team guy he is for playing in the NFL for a fraction of his worth.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

6 hours ago, jgb said:

Smart people maximize their earnings. All the other stuff is a fans’ wet dream.

totally agree - but it's not 100% clear to me that going for the last dollar is the best way to maximize your earnings in a salary cap league with major endorsements.

so far no QB has taken less outside of Brady and perhaps Carr.